New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #23
lens
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
How is that saving time if they move to the front of the line? They're just switching spots with cars who are ahead of them. And most motorcycle riders clog up the left lane because they have to ride in a group.
They move to the front of the line and continue until the next light/area, and continue to do that until they're clear of it.
      09-22-2022, 11:49 AM   #24
rwheels
Major
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

To my understanding, and off the top of my head, it is because motorcyclists with air-cooled engines convinced enough legislators that their bikes tended to heat up sitting in traffic. When done right, it works great, especially in heavy traffic.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      09-22-2022, 11:51 AM   #25
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I like it. Gives me something to watch in traffic. Ah there goes evil knieval, lets see if he makes it through...
Appreciate 1
Esteban42250.00
      09-22-2022, 12:11 PM   #26
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

I've been riding in CA for decades, and lane-sharing (splitting) just as long. There is definitely a right way and wrong way to do it, and like anything else in life, there are those that will abuse it. In this case, being at the command of a vehicle that is generally smaller, faster, and more maneuverable than those around them.

I am guilty of doing some dumb splitting maneuvers in my younger years (mid teens to 20s), and was fortunate enough to make it out of some close calls unscathed. Now older and far more mature (late 40s), plus having been an instructor for some years, I too shake my head and get annoyed at some of the stunts pulled, or the blatant disregard for the cars around them (the incessant revving, cutting off cars, etc).

I still ride and I still lane-share (split). Sitting in traffic is a recipe for disaster. People are just not conditioned to look out for motorcycles: quick lane changes, checking mirrors, stopping at lights, face in phone with the occasional look up for new traffic conditions. People are looking for cars, not the narrow profile of a motorcycle. This whole notion of loud pipes saving lives is useless because most in their cars don't hear the noise until it is right on top of them, and then they are yanking the wheel from being startled, possibly into another car, or right into the very motorcycle making all of the damn noise.

Lane-sharing (splitting) has a level of skill attached to it like anything else. You learn to look out for clues from the drivers: body movement, where they are looking, lane position, etc. No different than when driving your own car, but with greater risks when you're the one in between the 2-3 ton vehicles at speed.
Appreciate 3
      09-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #27
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
To my understanding, and off the top of my head, it is because motorcyclists with air-cooled engines convinced enough legislators that their bikes tended to heat up sitting in traffic. When done right, it works great, especially in heavy traffic.
Well, that and the rider. We are covered in gear, not in aircon. Our aircon is, well, air. And when were stuck stationary, surrounded by running cars, we get cooked. So it is a safety thing in that aspect too.

But also it usually benefits you as well. Instead of us taking up a slot in that traffic we can move and, most importantly, move on. Even slow bikes are fast, the VAST majority of riders are far more attentive than car drivers (else theyd already be dead). I have yet to be behind a motorcyclist I have to honk at because they are scrolling Instagram instead of looking at the traffic ahead of them. And when we do go we scoot, even "slow" bikes are fast, especially at those lower speeds, due to lack of weight. Your average naked can do a 4 second zero to 60 if you're so inclined, a dog slow Triumph is still like 5.5 seconds. Almost every sportbike is 3 seconds (power isnt the limiting factor, its not flipping over backwards).

In Italy its expected behavior, to the point where you'll pull forward even if the angle means you cant see the light, and there will be 3 bikes and 4 scooters up there, and when the light turns the car behind gives you a double beep and everyone (literally everyone, including the smoking hot girl on her scooter in her dress skirt) goes WOT and takes off like the lights went off at Mugello.

Filtering isnt legal in GA but I will do it in stopped traffic, especially if its a parking lot and I can see an exit, just to get off and get moving again. I don't do it in group rides though, not much point. Only if Im with another couple of riders I know.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
540iSUP703.00
      09-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #28
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Some of the reasons why I never did it.

To be clear none of those were legal, not even in Europe. THAT stuff is douchebaggery.

Where its tolerated they usually state the cars have to be going <5 and the bikes are going 10-15, etc. Everyone has time to react because everyone is going slow or stopped.

THIS is what you should be doing:
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 12:50 PM   #29
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Lane splitting was absolutely 100% prohibited in the NY State motorcycle license manual when I got my license back in the olden days.....
      09-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #30
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
I have literally NEVER seen one biker adhearing to that rule. I used to drive wine tours and I spent a shit ton of time on the freeway between the city & wine country and the bikers were just straight up assholes. Flying by at high speeds, flipping cars off if the car didn't see the biker and so on. With them riding like idiots, its no safer for them or anyone else.

One theory I heard is that lane splitting was legal to avoid bikes overheating in stop & go due to them being aircooled. IDK if thats true or not
On my business and personal trips to CA I see 99% of motorcyclists following that law.

As far as filtering, I don't feel "slighted" when someone gets ahead of me. Driving isn't a real estate contest.

I don't don't do either here in Texas because it is not legal.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      09-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #31
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

This is the ideal situation:
https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles...tes_in_a_cage/
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 01:43 PM   #32
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Just seems to be extremely dangerous. Most people don't look as it is. I have a problem with allowing motorcycles to cut to the front of the line also.

Why can't they wait their turn at a red light like everyone else?
I respect your opinion on this but always remember that this behavior is not exclusive to motorcycle guys. So you can't just say motorcycle riders are the only ones guilty of this. I see car drivers use on/ off ramps of highway style roadways to cut in front of 3-6 cars all the time. They save (themselves) all of 10 seconds of commute time with this inconsiderate act of "cutting the line".
When bikers split lanes, they haven't inconvenienced anyone because they keep moving, as opposed to sitting 3 car lengths behind the car that was initially behind you, but they decided to use the on/ off ramps to now be in front of you by 3 cars (or less).

That's inconsiderate. Most often, once the biker passes you while splitting lanes.... You won't see that motorcycle again, unless you happen to share the same route for 10's of miles.
540iSUP703.00
nicholasn261.00
      09-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #33
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
I've been riding in CA for decades, and lane-sharing (splitting) just as long. There is definitely a right way and wrong way to do it, and like anything else in life, there are those that will abuse it. In this case, being at the command of a vehicle that is generally smaller, faster, and more maneuverable than those around them.

I am guilty of doing some dumb splitting maneuvers in my younger years (mid teens to 20s), and was fortunate enough to make it out of some close calls unscathed. Now older and far more mature (late 40s), plus having been an instructor for some years, I too shake my head and get annoyed at some of the stunts pulled, or the blatant disregard for the cars around them (the incessant revving, cutting off cars, etc).

I still ride and I still lane-share (split). Sitting in traffic is a recipe for disaster. People are just not conditioned to look out for motorcycles: quick lane changes, checking mirrors, stopping at lights, face in phone with the occasional look up for new traffic conditions. People are looking for cars, not the narrow profile of a motorcycle. This whole notion of loud pipes saving lives is useless because most in their cars don't hear the noise until it is right on top of them, and then they are yanking the wheel from being startled, possibly into another car, or right into the very motorcycle making all of the damn noise.

Lane-sharing (splitting) has a level of skill attached to it like anything else. You learn to look out for clues from the drivers: body movement, where they are looking, lane position, etc. No different than [...]
This was articulated very well for accuracy in describing the reality to the topic of discussion proposed by the OP.
      09-22-2022, 02:07 PM   #34
Max Caviar
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '23 M440i GC Tanzanite Blue

what about motorcycles with sidecars? can-am's?

i've have my sideview mirror hit/damaged 2x from this noble exercise in "safety" and i'm not too enthusiastic about it. particularly the cars that go OUT OF THEIR WAY to get way into the shoulder and then spray pebbles and other trash at the vehicles behind them. all so they can get an upside down peace sign from their "biker brethren".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I could see motorcyclists using the bike lane to jump to the front at a traffic light. However I see lane splitting on a three lane road like many are where I live can be dangerous for the rider. So many people don't use their mirrors, and almost everyday I have to avoid a silverhair who comes into my lane. We even have cars that try to lane split lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #35
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Caviar View Post
what about motorcycles with sidecars? can-am's?

i've have my sideview mirror hit/damaged 2x from this noble exercise in "safety" and i'm not too enthusiastic about it. particularly the cars that go OUT OF THEIR WAY to get way into the shoulder and then spray pebbles and other trash at the vehicles behind them. all so they can get an upside down peace sign from their "biker brethren".
LOL, you said cars, might be telling there... I literally have never heard of a motorcycle getting on the shoulder to intentionally spray pebbles or whatever. It wouldn't really be effective anyway since our contact patch is like the size of a credit card, lot of work for 2 pebbles.

FYI can ams and sidecars are not motorcycles. Also how many sidecars you see lane splitting and where? Id like to see it because most sidecar rigs Ive seen are as wide as my car.

Like said above, it can be safe easily. Yeah there are aholes, but there are also no shortage of cars using the shoulders to get around traffic, weaving in and out, and racing in traffic. Douchebag gonna douchebag no matter what they are piloting.
Appreciate 3
Buug95916851.50
DocL1922.50
      09-22-2022, 03:40 PM   #36
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: e90 M3

You can't filter here in TX! Tried it a few times: honks, door-openings, 'yellings', fuck-u fingers,.. it gets too much.
      09-22-2022, 04:36 PM   #37
Max Caviar
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '23 M440i GC Tanzanite Blue

no, i meant the car drivers that frantically jerk their cars onto the shoulder and spray everyone in their wake. so the big kids will think they're cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
LOL, you said cars, might be telling there... I literally have never heard of a motorcycle getting on the shoulder to intentionally spray pebbles or whatever. It wouldn't really be effective anyway since our contact patch is like the size of a credit card, lot of work for 2 pebbles.

FYI can ams and sidecars are not motorcycles. Also how many sidecars you see lane splitting and where? Id like to see it because most sidecar rigs Ive seen are as wide as my car.

Like said above, it can be safe easily. Yeah there are aholes, but there are also no shortage of cars using the shoulders to get around traffic, weaving in and out, and racing in traffic. Douchebag gonna douchebag no matter what they are piloting.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #38
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I drive and ride. It pissed me off so much when someone shared the lane and clipped my mirror. THEN he took off. Since I was in position 2 at the light, I commenced pursuit, and got up next to him at the next light. I screamed at him and he looked like he had no clue why. "You KNOW you clipped a mirror and you kept going!" "Sorry" "Next time, don't make the person you clipped chase you down, just apologize"

For those of you who move into the debris field, STOP IT. I won't try to share with you if there isn't enough room for me to feel comfortable. A slight shift of no more than a couple inches, or just angle your front wheels a bit away so I know you aren't going to pinch me.

Those of you who DO try to pinch me, I hope you don't mind me protecting myself with a swift kick to the side of your door, because I am protecting myself from a collision.
      09-22-2022, 05:54 PM   #39
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I drive and ride. It pissed me off so much when someone shared the lane and clipped my mirror. THEN he took off. Since I was in position 2 at the light, I commenced pursuit, and got up next to him at the next light. I screamed at him and he looked like he had no clue why. "You KNOW you clipped a mirror and you kept going!" "Sorry" "Next time, don't make the person you clipped chase you down, just apologize"

For those of you who move into the debris field, STOP IT. I won't try to share with you if there isn't enough room for me to feel comfortable. A slight shift of no more than a couple inches, or just angle your front wheels a bit away so I know you aren't going to pinch me.

Those of you who DO try to pinch me, I hope you don't mind me protecting myself with a swift kick to the side of your door, because I am protecting myself from a collision.
You seem too angry to be on the road with others.
Appreciate 4
Esteban42250.00
Germanauto9665.50
GuidoK10473.00
M5Rick58913.50
      09-22-2022, 06:30 PM   #40
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I dunno what the "right" way to lane split is, but for the most part I just see a lot of the douchebaggery lane splitting, especially in Miami. Honestly it doesn't bother me personally that much. I figure there's a good chance Darwin will take care of it. I mean just based on how often people try to take me out in my car or even in my insanely massive no way you can't see it F350 long bed... it's only a matter of time. You also wont see me shed any tears for Darwins gold medalists.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:03 PM   #41
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
You can't filter here in TX! Tried it a few times: honks, door-openings, 'yellings', fuck-u fingers,.. it gets too much.
A bunch of self-avowed libertarians
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:08 PM   #42
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I don't mind it but it's definitely something to look out for when changing lanes. Some bikers do it in between lanes they're not supposed to, and some do it at higher speeds when [to my knowledge] it should only be done in stop-and-go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 10:30 PM   #43
mjr24
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

I don't have a huge problem with this in stop and go traffic (although, you rarely see people riding cycles in bumper to bumper traffic.....I mean, in Chicago, I never see this). That being said, we've all had the ASSHAT screaming at 120MPH between lanes out of nowhere.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:15 AM   #44
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Just seems to be extremely dangerous. Most people don't look as it is. I have a problem with allowing motorcycles to cut to the front of the line also.

Why can't they wait their turn at a red light like everyone else?
It is much safer for motorcyclists to move to front. AZ has had some bad accidents in last decade+, motorcyclists being rear-ended and killed waiting at stoplights(probably why the law is changing). I remember one in Phoenix few years back, a dump truck mowed down 8 motorcyclists while sitting behind stoplight traffic. Killing 4 of them. I lived most my life in CA and AZ, riding most of my younger years on streets of Socal and the 405 freeway. Being able to split lanes felt much safer as a rider. Getting rear-ended in a car is fine and dandy, no fun on a bike.

Last edited by M3WC; 09-23-2022 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 1