Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
floridaorange
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Leaning into God

Well it's Sunday, which means my family usually goes to church. I know nowadays "church" isn't en vogue, but we have a really great church family here and feel quite fortunate to have them in our lives. Anyway, our church went live via youtube today and although it wasn't ideal, during these times where we have to stay apart, I must say it was fantastic to have as a resource right now more than ever.

Anyone else get to do the same?
      03-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
rebekahb
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Well it's Sunday, which means my family usually goes to church. I know nowadays "church" isn't en vogue, but we have a really great church family here and feel quite fortunate to have them in our lives. Anyway, our church went live via youtube today and although it wasn't ideal, during these times where we have to stay apart, I must say it was fantastic to have as a resource right now more than ever.

I'm so glad you posted this! My church went online and the title of the series is Fear which I think is so appropriate for what's going on. They are showing the service live at the normal times we would be doing church. They are also doing life groups remotely. I included the link in case anyone wants to watch.

Appreciate 4
Nuckle857.50
Roma_335i388.00
MKSixer22830.50

03-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Nuckle
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:

We will be shortly. Our Church has a live stream every week that we use when we can't attend. This week it was really choppy for some reason so we are going to watch it on youtube shortly. Today is communion day so we will be partaking in that as well.

For anyone that does not have this option or if you are interested I invite you to search for Grace Life Baptist Church on YouTube. I'll try to post a link as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GraceLifeBaptist
Appreciate 4
rebekahb417.00
MKSixer22830.50

03-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Drives: 05 M3, 04 M3iT , 01 M5, 17 i3

Garage List
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3 Wagon  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
I mean, what's to fear? The virus is god's will, no?
Humdizzle1241.00

03-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
rebekahb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
No one ever said there wouldn't be suffering and illness. No where was it ever stated that our lives would roll right along perfectly with no issues. There are so many stories of hardships in the Bible. Nothing in any sort of life will ever be perfect. Nothing.
Appreciate 4
SakhirM410202.00
MKSixer22830.50

03-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
As I say at work
If we aren't dealing with random events both good or bad then work/life would be boring.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
Roma_335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Few and diffrent

Thanks to the Bible we know we are near his coming for the church. And all this problems on Earth will get worse and worse. But we should remember God is the beginning and the end, Alfa and Omega. He will not let his people/church suffer, he will come and help us, only if we believe in him and trust in him. God is in control of everything, not our president or someone else. Its sad that the bible is fulfilling in our own eyes but most of the people don't want to believe in God, and they don't want to turn away from there sins, but soon it will be to late.
Our church also went online. Me and my wife decided that every day we will spend 1 hour with the kids and read the Bible, talk about what we read, and also sing. Giving God glory because he deserves.

Sorry about spelling... English is my 5th language.
Appreciate 5
      03-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
ynguldyn
Colonel
Rep

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

For all those who think a god will save them - just please keep in mind the story of a pious man in a flood and a helicopter.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #9
floridaorange
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Adding on to what you are saying Roma - in countries where great wealth can be acquired - many have chosen to follow $ instead of God. The part that upsets me somewhat, is that the followers of Christ aren't able to live in a way that is more attractive than those that have chosen to follow $ or man.

It took me a certain spiritual maturity, and I think it hits almost everyone at different times in their lives. I've seen many come to this spiritual maturity after having kids for example. Once I personally realized anything and everything I thought, felt, or did - was fair game for my 2 sons to think, feel and do. Once that set in - I was brought to my knees for probably the 2nd or 3rd time in my life - asked for forgiveness and decided what the better choice for me was.

What I love about my church is how gentle my pastor is with non-believers. He's set such a good example of non-judgement and what it means to follow Jesus. He is not the norm though. Alot of pastors behave in ways that turn people away, they are only human, and it's a very difficult job frankly.

I think if most people search deep enough down within themselves they know somewhere they are children of God and not like all the other animals on our planet. As uncomfortable as it is to say that and probably read that - it's my personal feeling on the topic.

Lastly - I don't think people have to go to church to love God or be good. But I've been blown away at how reading the bible has changed my relationship with God. I never was into it - but this past yr I have tried and it's for sure made life richer.

For anyone out there who may feel like something is missing from their life. That empty feeling is there for a reason - it's my humble opinion (and biblical) that void can only truly be filled by God. So that reality may be really uncool - uncomfortable - not sexy - inconvenient - but it remains true. It's also easy to make our lives busy enough that we are properly distracted from the feeling.

I have Harvard & Cambridge grads in my family, people who are really smart, and I do believe the smart ones have a harder time grasping God, because of their ability to think their way out of most of their own problems. They almost don't need to follow God in order for their lives to APPEAR perfect - house, job, family, toys. But I know from knowing them, they still have that void, that only God fills.
Nuckle857.50

03-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #10
rebekahb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Adding on to what you are saying Roma - in countries where great wealth can be acquired - many have chosen to follow $ instead of God. The part that upsets me somewhat, is that the followers of Christ aren't able to live in a way that is more attractive than those that have chosen to follow $ or man.

It took me a certain spiritual maturity, and I think it hits almost everyone at different times in their lives. I've seen many come to this spiritual maturity after having kids for example. Once I personally realized anything and everything I thought, felt, or did - was fair game for my 2 sons to think, feel and do. Once that set in - I was brought to my knees for probably the 2nd or 3rd time in my life - asked for forgiveness and decided what the better choice for me was.

What I love about my church is how gentle my pastor is with non-believers. He's set such a good example of non-judgement and what it means to follow Jesus. He is not the norm though. Alot of pastors behave in ways that turn people away, they are only human, and it's a very difficult job frankly.

I think if most people search deep enough down within themselves they know somewhere they are children of God and not like all the other animals on our planet. As uncomfortable as it is to say that and probably read that - it's my personal feeling on the topic.

Lastly - I don't think people have to go to church to love God or be good. But I've been blown away at how reading the bible has changed my relationship with God. I never was into it - but this past yr I have tried and it's for sure made life richer.

For anyone out there who may feel like something is missing from their life. That empty feeling is there for a reason - it's my humble opinion (and biblical) that void can only truly be filled by God. So that reality may be really uncool - uncomfortable - not sexy - inconvenient - but it remains true. It's also easy to make our lives busy enough that we are properly distracted from the feeling.

I have Harvard & Cambridge grads in my family, people who are really smart, and I do believe the smart ones have a harder time grasping God, because of their ability to think their way out of most of their own problems. They almost don't need to follow God in order for their lives to APPEAR perfect - house, job, family, toys. But I know from knowing them, they still have that void, that only God fills.
I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Our pastor is the same way. He says we're all jacked up and he doesn't judge anyone and welcomes all. For many years, I was very angry at God and wanted nothing to do with church. I would go to church for the appropriate holidays begrudgingly. My husband had started going to our current church and said I think you would really like the pastor. He's so cool and definitely not the norm. I felt uncomfortable at first because I had so much anger. As time went on, I started working through the shit. I've learned a lot and at times still struggle but finding a church that fits has helped a lot and I have met a lot of incredible people. I'm very thankful.

Having a higher education in science I have met a lot who don't believe in God as well. I always respect ones feelings even if I don't agree. I always like to know why people feel or think the way they do so I can learn and understand more.
Appreciate 3
      03-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
floridaorange
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
For all those who think a god will save them - just please keep in mind the story of a pious man in a flood and a helicopter.
God has already saved - for me life can stop and start again many times while we are on this planet alone.
SakhirM410202.00
MKSixer22830.50

03-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #12
floridaorange
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Our pastor is the same way. He says we're all jacked up and he doesn't judge anyone and welcomes all. For many years, I was very angry at God and wanted nothing to do with church. I would go to church for the appropriate holidays begrudgingly. My husband had started going to our current church and said I think you would really like the pastor. He's so cool and definitely not the norm. I felt uncomfortable at first because I had so much anger. As time went on, I started working through the shit. I've learned a lot and at times still struggle but finding a church that fits has helped a lot and I have met a lot of incredible people. I'm very thankful.

Having a higher education in science I have met a lot who don't believe in God as well. I always respect ones feelings even if I don't agree. I always like to know why people feel or think the way they do so I can learn and understand more.
I had to forgive God too - I hear you.
rebekahb417.00

03-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #13
936F06
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 M6 GC

In my house hold we actually had a family church gathering. Said prayers and thoughts sang a couple of hymns. very spiritual
Appreciate 4
      03-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #14
Yugo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life! Stay strong you all.
Appreciate 7
Nuckle857.50
SakhirM410202.00
rebekahb417.00
ny325612.00
MKSixer22830.50

03-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #15
Yugo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

Found this pretty powerful:

ďGod is still on the throne...I donít put my trust in Washington. I donít put my trust in the United Nations...I donít put trust in my money. I put my trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.Ē -
@BillyGraham
Appreciate 7
SakhirM410202.00
rebekahb417.00
Nuckle857.50
ny325612.00
MKSixer22830.50

03-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #16
Nuckle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
God has already saved me.
Appreciate 4
SakhirM410202.00
rebekahb417.00
MKSixer22830.50
Yugo173.00

03-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #17
ynguldyn
Colonel
Rep

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
God has already saved me.
Which one? There are so many to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #18
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Well there's the father, the son, and the holy spirit, but all three are actually one so when you choose one, you actually still choose the same one. At least, that's what some people say. In the Bible, 3 = 1. A Bible study guy assured me that it doesn't violate any logical rules and that it makes perfect sense.

They can't all seem to agree on what the Bible means so they all formed their own little clubs. Some of them even have priestesses. The ones where they can't marry end up being a problem for everyone.

In the end, church ends up being a mediocre form of open-source therapy that's more rooted in you feeling bad about yourself as a sinner for not making an omniscient being happy and less about actual self-improvement to solve your underlying problems.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 03-22-2020 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #19
Nuckle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Quote:
Well there's the father, the son, and the holy spirit, but all three are actually one so when you choose one, you actually still choose the same one. At least, that's what some people say. In the Bible, 3 = 1. A Bible study guy assured me that it doesn't violate any logical rules and that it makes perfect sense.

They can't all seem to agree on what the Bible means so they all formed their own little clubs. Some of them even have priestesses. The ones where they can't marry end up being a problem for everyone.

In the end, church ends up being a mediocre form of open-source therapy that's more rooted in you feeling bad about yourself as a sinner for not making an omniscient being happy and less about actual self-improvement to solve your underlying problems.
I hate that you are so jaded on Christianity. I would urge you to look into things yourself. Christians are far from perfect and I have never been led to feel bad about myself for committing a sin.

It is disappointing that a couple of you are trying to turn this into some type of debate or the need to try to disrespect us for offering those that want to receive Gods word an option while Churches are having to close due to the virus. It's ok to just skip on by, no one was trying to spoon feed you anything. Shame on you both. I will pray for both of you tonight in hops that God will soften your heart.

Take care.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer22830.50
rebekahb417.00

03-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #20
rebekahb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Quote:

That's not it at all for me. No one in church makes me feel bad for sinning and even if you go to church consistently we all sin. As I stated earlier no one is perfect. Ever. I did more self improvement before I ever even stepped foot back in a church. It's up to no one else but me to work on my problems & make myself happy. Prayer and understanding has helped. I don't walk into church and expect to be fixed. Our pastor is also a big believer in counseling & he's been open & honest that he himself goes. Going to church has brought me into more peace. Before making such blanket statements, try to understand someone's perspective and learn more about how or why someone goes to church. Im not sure what causes you to feel that way and if you want to share then please do if we can do that constructively. If you want to just bash, there are so many other threads filled with negativity in this forum that you can do so on.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #21
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:

Amen! I'm glad you created this thread, interesting to see some other Christians pop into this thread. Our church went live via youtube as well, so we've been watching Sunday mornings which has been nicer than not going, but still not the same as actually being there. Plus we have young kids and they are not sitting through it so it is a little distracting. But still grateful the technology exists.

Quote:
I had to forgive God too - I hear you.
That's an interesting statement. What do you mean by that? I'm trying to think of a scenario where that was necessary and I can't think of one to be honest. I get that you can be angry at God. That I understand. But ultimately...do we forgive him? That would imply he did something wrong requiring forgiveness...which would not make him the God of the Bible would it?

Not trying to be confrontational, but I think rather for me, I come to my senses at whatever I'm angry about and realize that if I really trust him and believe that he has a plan for the good (not what I see as good necessarily) that one day I'll understand it, maybe not on this earth but in heaven perhaps, but it will be for good. And I have to trust that and give it all back to him.
Appreciate 3
Nuckle857.50
ny325612.00

03-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #22
Sy1616
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I do truly feel we’re in the end of times. Time is short people, Jesus is the only way.
Appreciate 0