Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-31-2020, 07:45 PM   #177
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '16 F82 M4

I have an idea. Blow up every Walmart. Problem solved.

I'm kidding of course but just recently I was In a Target (avoid Walmart for obvious reasons) with the wife and said to her "every item in this place is cheap ass shit made in China and it's all crap". Most of it we don't even need.

Like others I try to buy non chinese items but it's very difficult to do. Don't get me started on Amazon. That's China's online store.
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 2
anglo55481.50
GrussGott8996.00

03-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #178
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
My dad shops at Walmart for food because the prices are so low. I hate the place, feel like I need a bath after Iíve been in one. But the food prices are indeed low.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 09:43 PM   #179
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
My dad shops at Walmart for food because the prices are so low. I hate the place, feel like I need a bath after I’ve been in one. But the food prices are indeed low.
I get it but I see it for what it is which is China's US store of crap. They are not alone but they are the largest.
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:04 PM   #180
Jordan's World
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
My dad shops at Walmart for food because the prices are so low. I hate the place, feel like I need a bath after I’ve been in one. But the food prices are indeed low.
Ever since Wally World announced delivery unlimited for $100 per yr. I have yet to find a reason to shop for food products anywhere else.

There's nothing like having fresh food delivered to your door every week. I've loathed the entire retail shopping experience ever since I was a kid.

I do have a friend who uses Amazon fresh for essentially everything, surprisingly, the prices really aren't bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #181
adc100
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
My dad shops at Walmart for food because the prices are so low. I hate the place, feel like I need a bath after Iíve been in one. But the food prices are indeed low.
When old man walton died the place went to crap. kids didn't get his genes.

If he could come back for a day......
Appreciate 1
anglo55481.50

04-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #182
lakefront
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Two old Bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
When old man walton died the place went to crap. kids didn't get his genes.

If he could come back for a day......
This....my mother-in-law worked at Walmart for years. Said you could tell almost to the day when the old man passed and the brats took over.
      04-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #183
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

When I first got into Finance everything was about Emerging Markets and Globalization. Here we are now decades later and it seems it may not have been the best approach or idea. We may have had more negative impact on the world and it's occupants than improvement. Perhaps there is a reason why the Earth itself separated everyone. Maybe it was for our own good.

Last edited by iconoclast; 04-01-2020 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 5
ASAP3013.50
aozer963.50
GrussGott8996.00

04-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #184
Law
Global Moderator
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
The Chinese government has been starving their people forcing them to eat anything with a shadow. A lot of people don't understand just how bad communism can be.
This. The communist system is economically flawed and inevitably causes shortages (incl. of food), which ultimately causes famines and is exactly what happened in mainland China in the decades after the communists seized power.
While the PRC has since incorporated a degree of market economy reforms, the ultimate origins of this problem lay during the time when the CCP was still chasing 'pure communism'...and as we all know, it was a disaster and it's effects still plague (no pun intended) us today.

Encouraging and closing one eye to the wildlife trade was one way for the Communist Party to cover up/alleviate the horrible atrocity of what was basically the largest manmade, preventable famine that occurred during peacetime.

Vox normally has a left/liberal bias, but they do produce informative videos (with good visuals).
They make a good point in a recent video that the CCP's system and poor choices are what ultimately allowed the wildlife food trade to flourish, increasing the odds of these kinds of outbreaks.

3:14 if you want to skip

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |
Appreciate 3
MKSixer22740.50
Sassicaia3436.50
anglo55481.50

04-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #185
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

Swine flu originated in North America, maybe be even in the US. The next pandemic can come from anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #186
Eriphill
Major
Rep

Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Swine flu originated in North America, maybe be even in the US. The next pandemic can come from anywhere.
Did the CDC cover it up for months?
Appreciate 6
anglo55481.50
aozer963.50
phoenx187.00
MKSixer22740.50
unluky555.50

04-03-2020, 05:31 AM   #187
Denis S
Russia
Rep

Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Encouraging and closing one eye to the wildlife trade was one way for the Communist Party to cover up/alleviate the horrible atrocity of what was basically the largest manmade, preventable famine that occurred during peacetime.
- Large quantities of dogs are still being eaten in some regions of South Korea. Let's declare war on South Korea?
- Dogs are often eaten in Nigeria - let's bombard Nigeria?
- Dogs and cats are traditionally eaten in some eastern regions of Switzerland - let's introduce troops into Switzerland?
- Iguana is eaten in Mexico - it's awful! Should we impose sanctions against Mexico?
- In Peru, people eat up to 65 million guinea pigs per year. It is necessary to destroy this state!?
Eskimos eat whales...
French eat snails and ants ... etc.

Is this a serious thread?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #188
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis S View Post
- Large quantities of dogs are still being eaten in some regions of South Korea. Let's declare war on South Korea?
- Dogs are often eaten in Nigeria - let's bombard Nigeria?
- Dogs and cats are traditionally eaten in some eastern regions of Switzerland - let's introduce troops into Switzerland?
- Iguana is eaten in Mexico - it's awful! Should we impose sanctions against Mexico?
- In Peru, people eat up to 65 million guinea pigs per year. It is necessary to destroy this state!?
Eskimos eat whales...
French eat snails and ants ... etc.

Is this a serious thread?
Dont worry!

The US isnt going to bomb you for eating dogs, bats etc. that carry the coronavirus, we're asking you change your poor hygiene practices so this doesnt happen again.

Like other countries took measures against American pork products after the H1N1.

If nothing changes in China, the travel ban on China will stay.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2581.00

04-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #189
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
This. The communist system is economically flawed and inevitably causes shortages (incl. of food), which ultimately causes famines and is exactly what happened in mainland China in the decades after the communists seized power.
While the PRC has since incorporated a degree of market economy reforms, the ultimate origins of this problem lay during the time when the CCP was still chasing 'pure communism'...and as we all know, it was a disaster and it's effects still plague (no pun intended) us today.

Vox normally has a left/liberal bias, but they do produce informative videos (with good visuals).
They make a good point in a recent video that the CCP's system and poor choices are what ultimately allowed the wildlife food trade to flourish, increasing the odds of these kinds of outbreaks.

3:14 if you want to skip
Very informative!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #190
Humdizzle
Major
Rep

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458

yup. majority of major plagues and pandemics started with animals. We keep them in poor unnatural living conditions and this is the result. The virus makes mutations and eventually jumps from species to species until it gets to us.

Same thing happened with mad cow disease in the UK/US though. When you have cows and feed them recycled cow rather than grass you are asking for trouble.

It makes a strong point for veganism... my GF lets me know this everyday of the pandemic lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #191
jamesinaz
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
yup. majority of major plagues and pandemics started with animals. We keep them in poor unnatural living conditions and this is the result. The virus makes mutations and eventually jumps from species to species until it gets to us.

Same thing happened with mad cow disease in the UK/US though. When you have cows and feed them recycled cow rather than grass you are asking for trouble.

It makes a strong point for veganism... my GF lets me know this everyday of the pandemic lol.
Problem with veganism is - it doesn't taste as good or feel as satisfying. LOL. Wish I could but raised an omnivore from young and don't see change in my future.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle1241.00

04-03-2020, 05:01 PM   #192
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I rather catch the coronavirus than be vegan!
Appreciate 4
      04-04-2020, 01:01 AM   #193
AlpineWhite_SJ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:

Itís actually quite the opposite with regards to domesticated animals for slaughter aside from the insane amount of antibiotics used. Wild animal meat has way more risk in terms of viruses and pathogens because it isnít monitored, regulated or protected from known issues like mad cow. Hunting is an important skill, but itís risky now that you have a lot of prion and other weird stuff invading wildlife.
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #194
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Havent the world learned anything from the 2002 SARS virus that also started in China?
It's hard to believe that people are still eating half cooked bats, Pangolins etc.

Iran, Italy are devastated, economies are collapsing. 9/11 changed the way we travel, The world needs to come up with a way to prevent this from happening again in the future!
ROFL, and you claim to be a libertarian.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #195
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: SMB F80 6MT

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1WH0LR

Good news. Hopefully there is more of this to come
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2581.00

04-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #196
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: SMB F80 6MT

More!

https://www.dailywire.com/news/it-be...ampaign=pepple
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #197
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '08 M Roadster

It has to be prevented through preparedness. Bats on multiple continents host viruses that are really nasty. It’s just a matter of time before they spill over. Human contact with them or an intermediate host is inevitable as humans expand. We need to better fund research on these viruses and have treatments ready before it happens. Had we just spent a little more after SARS then we would have been prepared for this. Large parts of the virus are conserved from SARS and had we not stopped funding research on antivirals and vaccines we would be in much better shape. Some of the promising treatments coming soon came out of what little money got pumped into MERS research.
Appreciate 3
aozer963.50
GrussGott8996.00

04-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #198
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
When I first got into Finance everything was about Emerging Markets and Globalization. Here we are now decades later and it seems it may not have been the best approach
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It has to be prevented through preparedness.
These two posts combined are the correct answer to the wrong question; it's not about China, it's about national security and smart economics:

(1.) Have the best intelligence network and be ready to listen to it and act

(2.) Have the best capabilities - a country can't act on intelligence with outsourced/vulnerable capabilities, especially mission-critical ones like healthcare supply chain. (e.g., don't make all your IV bags in Puerto Rico because hurricanes)

(3.) Have the best friends network - a country can't fight on foreign soil or easily handle a crisis unless it has friends; and it certainly can't gather intelligence or expect goodwill assistance.

With these three things, we're prepared for any crisis, which we'll always have, be it from China or elsewhere.

Without these 3 things, we're fucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 5