New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

12-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

PS3 and Wii Breakdown... strange

I believed -- from reading some magazine... i think it was game informer...

that at launch, ps3 will be extremely rare as they will only release 400,000 units... and the wii will be readily available as they released 4,000,000 units...

but based on ebay - and this forum... it seems that there's an ample amount of ps3's floating around, and not so much wii's...

of course, they're both sold out everywhere -- in stores i mean... someone want to comment on this?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
No one knows how may Ps3's sony shipped. But atleast they are doing Weekly drop shipments.

Nintendo announced they shipped 600k Wii's at launch.

Ps3 demand has waned becuase of the lack of supply, so people/parents gave up searching.

A target store might get 5 PS3's and 50 Wii's.
They will both sell out within minutes.
But again parents would rather buy the Wii becuase its cheaper and somewhat easier to find.

You probably wont see PS3 numbers picking up untill mid/end of next year where supply is equal to or greater than demand and when games like MGS4 come out.

I think the following PS3 titles come in 2007:
-Devil May Cry 4
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Warhawk
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Lair
-Killzone
-SOCOM
-Gran Turismo 5
-Tekken 6
-Virtua Fighter 5

For Wii we have:
-Metroid Prime 3
-Super Smash Brawl
-Mario Galaxy
-Battalion Wars II

360:
-Halo 3
-Blue Dragon
-Forza

Thats all I can think of from the top of my head, I just listed exlusive titles.
I know Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Alan Wake are comming out for 360, but they are also comming out for PC.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm looking hard for a Wii, but PS3 lost my attention because I can't believe that Sony can maintain that price point for long. It WILL see a price cut in the new year. Right now, I think it's deliberately high:

a) to gouge early adopters
b) to keep demand in check while they ramp up production
c) to minimize losses. They lose $hundreds on each unit sold

I may get one when Gran Turismo comes out, but before then, there is no compelling reason to get PS3. And, unless GT offers something more than better visuals, I won't be in a hurry to get that either.

Wii on the other hand looks like fun. I should be able to get family and friends to play along with the innovative control system and okay, Zelda looks like the best game since Ocarina of time.
      12-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I picked up a Wii yesterday. Woke up at 530 am, got to my local Circuit City at 6 knew they had 30 wii's. Was number 2 in line. I was really number one but these people put there chairs there and left and since i knew they had more then one i didnt cause an argument. Got the wii, zelda, splinter cell, 2k wii points and the warranty. Still looking for another controller and nunchuck though lol.
      12-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

see, the wii just seems a lot more attractive to me b/c... 1. the cost difference... u can buy 2 for the price of 1 ps3...

and wii just has a lot more party-style games that me and my gal friends can all just play and relax too after we get home drunk from clubbing or what not -- so it'll be a blast.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripster
I'm looking hard for a Wii, but PS3 lost my attention because I can't believe that Sony can maintain that price point for long. It WILL see a price cut in the new year. Right now, I think it's deliberately high:

a) to gouge early adopters
b) to keep demand in check while they ramp up production
c) to minimize losses. They lose $hundreds on each unit sold

I may get one when Gran Turismo comes out, but before then, there is no compelling reason to get PS3. And, unless GT offers something more than better visuals, I won't be in a hurry to get that either.

Wii on the other hand looks like fun. I should be able to get family and friends to play along with the innovative control system and okay, Zelda looks like the best game since Ocarina of time.
Ps3 price point is becuase of Blueray.
Actually the $500 version has everything you need, HDD, internet, wireless controllers, 1080p via HDMI.

I think Wii is really cool, I have one and I love it. If nintendo and 3rd parties release some good games it will be successful...otherwise it will just be a fad.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #7
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
In the UK you can buy 3 wii's for 1 PS3!!!
      12-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 E90

Sega Genesis rules.......
      12-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Right now on ebay you can buy PS3 for MSRP
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni
Actually the $500 version has everything you need, HDD, internet, wireless controllers, 1080p via HDMI.

I think Wii is really cool, I have one and I love it. If nintendo and 3rd parties release some good games it will be successful...otherwise it will just be a fad.

+1. The built in blue ray dvd player is worth $1000 alone. The only thing that turns me off for wii is that it is not in HD. As with previous gaming systems, when you get a bigger screen tv, such as 50"+, the picture is really crappy...but not in HD.

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

I bought a nunchuk last week, but still missing the controller, and the Wii system for that matter. I figured I better buy what I can find as I go along. I'm hoping that EB Games here in Toronto will re-stock Wii systems sometime this week, they haven't received anything since launch.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #12
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
+1. The built in blue ray dvd player is worth $1000 alone. The only thing that turns me off for wii is that it is not in HD. As with previous gaming systems, when you get a bigger screen tv, such as 50"+, the picture is really crappy...but not in HD.
I remember reading that Nintendo estimated/calculated that global HDTV market penetration is still rather low, as such they decided on a system that could support up to 480p for now and introduce an HD gaming system as it's replacement in 5-6 years.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #13
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

it's a game system... i have a 32hdtv in my room and i wouldn't care to pay significantly less and get a game console that is more fun than aesthetically pleasing...

the motion controller for the wii and the games just look like loads of fun -- plus i believe the wii comes w/ a game too... so you dont even have to buy a game right away!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #14
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni

Actually I forgot about the blueray, but it's not an issue for me. I have a HD TV, but don't want to buy all my content again. I did that once already when VHS went the way of the dodo. Besides, my games are not connected to my HDTV, so I can't benefit.
      12-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #15
NaTuReB0Y