New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-20-2022, 08:22 AM   #5853
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I was just coming home from picking up the Mighty Dodge from the shop, and a flatbed passed in the opposite direction with our town's police SUV on it heading towards the town garage. Looks like it took a hit on the driver's side, between the B-pillar and rear door. It didn't appear that the crash was severe enough to pop the giant marshmallows, and I suspect that the only injury will be a whole lot of writer's cramps from all of the accident report paperwork.....
      05-20-2022, 08:24 AM   #5854
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I was just coming home from picking up the Mighty Dodge from the shop, and a flatbed passed in the opposite direction with our town's police SUV on it heading towards the town garage. Looks like it took a hit on the driver's side, between the B-pillar and rear door. It didn't appear that the crash was severe enough to pop the giant marshmallows, and I suspect that the only injury will be a whole lot of writer's cramps from all of the accident report paperwork.....
I do not miss the paperwork.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615121.00
      05-22-2022, 06:23 AM   #5855
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep

Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Probably just an expired tag.

Name:  ...jpg
Views: 845
Size:  108.7 KB
Appreciate 5
Dino GT35131.50
Sedan_Clan24971.50
Buug95917151.50
vreihen1615121.00
      05-22-2022, 07:02 AM   #5856
Jklotz
Private
Rep

Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Probably just an expired tag.

Attachment 2889508
Now that is funny!
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35131.50
      05-22-2022, 07:07 AM   #5857
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

There's a shooting/killing nearly every night here in central florida in the morning paper. Is that normal nowadays?

What goes on overnight that most of us sleeping are unaware of?

Do you think home alarms should be set every night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      05-22-2022, 08:28 AM   #5858
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
There's a shooting/killing nearly every night here in central florida in the morning paper. Is that normal nowadays?

Alarms are great. While alarms aren't always a deterrent, it's better than nothing. If nothing else it can warn you in a situation where you might not have recognized a threat.

As to the other questions…..

….there has been a significant shift towards lawlessness and that is the "new normal." People are so emboldened to commit criminal acts and states like mine don't prosecute; there's very little fear of punishment. At least you live in the state that's leading the movement. Your Governor is wicked awesome, your laws are pro-2A, you can stand your ground and your LEO community feels appreciated.
Appreciate 7
vreihen1615121.00
paquet629.50
jmack548.50
      05-22-2022, 09:54 AM   #5859
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Several years ago someone tried to come into our home at 4:30am through a walk-out basement window. We were alerted when our alarm panel went off in our bedroom. I got up, turned on all the lights and chambered a round in my .45 and from the top of the stairs yelled that the police were on their way. The alarm company called within seconds and I confirmed they should dispatch. Then the officer arrived about 5 minutes later, I stowed my firearm and answered the door. We discovered the basement window had been jimmied open and there were tracks in the landscaping there. Pretty effing bold to do that with us home.

I credit having the system armed with preventing what could have been a much worse experience.
Appreciate 8
Sedan_Clan24971.50
Buug95917151.50
Esteban43269.50
Dino GT35131.50
vreihen1615121.00
      05-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #5860
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post

Stupid people doing stupid shit. Sometimes it escalates.

Yes, set your alarm. Why have it if you don't use it?
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24971.50
Esteban43269.50
      05-22-2022, 01:29 PM   #5861
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

I don't have a home alarm but I want to get one. Been in my home 31 years this December. Nice, quiet neighborhood but bad shit happens everywhere.
      05-22-2022, 02:12 PM   #5862
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

LA homeowner shoots, kills armed burglar after he and his wife hear footsteps overnight: deputies

The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department said a Walnut resident shot and killed an armed burglary suspect after he and his wife heard footsteps overnight.

Link

It will be interesting to see what happens (if anything) with the homeowner (shooter).

Last edited by bayarea328xit; 05-22-2022 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      05-22-2022, 02:21 PM   #5863
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I haven't read all 5,000 posts in this thread so apologies if it's been covered. I have a friend who is a County police officer 5 years from retirement. Due to all the insanity that has unfolded over the few years, it's become so risky to his retirement and personal reputation that he hasn't made a traffic stop in 2 years. Even wearing a body camera when making a stop, there is a fear that his administration will not support him if he has to protect himself. All of this defund the police nonsense and public scrutiny seems to have resulted in the streets being less safe than ever.

Any thoughts on this?
You are observing a culture shift where good cops no longer want to put themselves at risk and are choosing to preserve and safeguard their livelihood over the objective that made the large majority of us enter this profession in the first place (…e.g….taking bad guys to jail). When you don't feel supported, morale suffers. When morale suffers, you do the bare minimum or little to nothing at all. When you do the bare minimum, complacency sets in and you simply stop caring. When you stop caring, buoyed by laws that are too lax/pro-criminal, the community suffers as criminals run amuck. It has become a lawless free-for-all in every blue state/city in the union.
I witnessed this first hand last week.

I was in the loading dock at work which is in scummy downtown Seattle alley. Always reeks of piss and shit. Across from me on the other side of the alley was a doorway with some junkie zombie camped out. I see an SPD officer walking up the alley just as this guy pulls out his pipe. I'm thinking "we'll this should be interesting." No shit, the guy is actively holding the lighter under some tinfoil and sucking up the smoke though his glass pipe as the office walks past him. To my shock she asks him how he's doing and if he's OK, then continues on her merry way. WTF?!

I can't imagine how mentally beat down and unsupported you have to be as an officer to do that. It's crazy to me.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      05-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #5864
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I haven't read all 5,000 posts in this thread so apologies if it's been covered. I have a friend who is a County police officer 5 years from retirement. Due to all the insanity that has unfolded over the few years, it's become so risky to his retirement and personal reputation that he hasn't made a traffic stop in 2 years. Even wearing a body camera when making a stop, there is a fear that his administration will not support him if he has to protect himself. All of this defund the police nonsense and public scrutiny seems to have resulted in the streets being less safe than ever.

Any thoughts on this?
You are observing a culture shift where good cops no longer want to put themselves at risk and are choosing to preserve and safeguard their livelihood over the objective that made the large majority of us enter this profession in the first place (…e.g….taking bad guys to jail). When you don't feel supported, morale suffers. When morale suffers, you do the bare minimum or little to nothing at all. When you do the bare minimum, complacency sets in and you simply stop caring. When you stop caring, buoyed by laws that are too lax/pro-criminal, the community suffers as criminals run amuck. It has become a lawless free-for-all in every blue state/city in the union.
I witnessed this first hand last week.

I was in the loading dock at work which is in scummy downtown Seattle alley. Always reeks of piss and shit. Across from me on the other side of the alley was a doorway with some junkie zombie camped out. I see an SPD officer walking up the alley just as this guy pulls out his pipe. I'm thinking "we'll this should be interesting." No shit, the guy is actively holding the lighter under some tinfoil and sucking up the smoke though his glass pipe as the office walks past him. To my shock she asks him how he's doing and if he's OK, then continues on her merry way. WTF?!

I can't imagine how mentally beat down and unsupported you have to be as an officer to do that. It's crazy to me.
It's a pointless endeavor to arrest for meth/crack, especially when you have cities in my state handing out pipes and Narcan.
Appreciate 3
      05-22-2022, 08:25 PM   #5865
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Does the Sheriff's Department recommend any particular home alarm system?

How about you, Sedan_Clan? Which one do you think is best?
      05-22-2022, 08:34 PM   #5866
Jklotz
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's a pointless endeavor to arrest for meth/crack, especially when you have cities in my state handing out pipes and Narcan.
Narcan I can understand. It can save lives. But pipes? They hand out drug paraphernalia? Man, that is nuts. What city is that if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      05-22-2022, 10:23 PM   #5867
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Does the Sheriff's Department recommend any particular home alarm system?

How about you, Sedan_Clan? Which one do you think is best?
I don't have a preference personally, but any of the well known companies will do. Add some CCTV cameras and you're set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklotz View Post
Quote:
Narcan I can understand. It can save lives. But pipes? They hand out drug paraphernalia? Man, that is nuts. What city is that if you don't mind me asking?
https://nypost.com/2022/05/12/crack-...en-report/amp/

https://thenationaldesk.com/amp/news...ocaine-crystal

This one flew under the radar, so I'm not surprised you didn't hear about this when it was first revealed. Biden's administration later backtracked, but people weren't fooled. It's about as stupid as cities paying money to criminals in exchange for choosing not to murder/assault people (…as if that would truly be effective)….

….yet, that's what liberal politicians put in place in some liberal cities like San Francisco, California.

P.S. Seattle tried the crack pipe approach in 2015 too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...0NZ11U20150514
Appreciate 2
Esteban43269.50
jamesinaz1640.50
      05-23-2022, 02:57 AM   #5868
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Just out of curiosity and because some movies or TV shows are triggering my question... If some cops are appearing to a person with drawn guns aiming at it and told them to lie down with face down and the person refuse it and is obviously unarmed; do you guys are really shot the person down or do you use a taser instead to a temp disable or what other options except of lethal force?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      05-23-2022, 06:30 AM   #5869
Jklotz
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't have a preference personally, but any of the well known companies will do. Add some CCTV cameras and you're set.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/12/crack-...en-report/amp/

https://thenationaldesk.com/amp/news...ocaine-crystal

This one flew under the radar, so I'm not surprised you didn't hear about this when it was first revealed. Biden's administration later backtracked, but people weren't fooled. It's about as stupid as cities paying money to criminals in exchange for choosing not to murder/assault people (…as if that would truly be effective)….

….yet, that's what liberal politicians put in place in some liberal cities like San Francisco, California.

P.S. Seattle tried the crack pipe approach in 2015 too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...0NZ11U20150514
That is absolutely preposterous.

Reminds me of a joke I heard:

How to win the war on drugs in 2 easy steps:

Step 1: Legalize ALL drugs

Step 2: You have to go through Comcast customer service to get them

Last edited by Jklotz; 05-23-2022 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
vreihen1615121.00
jamesinaz1640.50
      05-23-2022, 06:43 AM   #5870
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklotz View Post
That is absolutely preposterous.

Reminds me of a joke I heard:

How to win the war on drugs in 2 easy steps:

Step 1: Legalize ALL drugs

Step 2: You have to go through Comcast customer service to get them
Toronto has "safe injection sites", the crime rate is through the roof in the surrounding neighbourhoods, the folks that live there and some are in well off communities are pissed off, human waste everywhere, dirty needles everywhere, can't take their kids to the park or school yard. Street crime and drug dealing and what does the city want as the next step, decriminalize all drugs. What could possibly go wrong? I grew up and lived in Toronto for much of my life, I liked living in the city but I am so glad I'm a 2 1/2 hour drive away in the country now.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rime-1.5232876
Appreciate 5
Buug95917151.50
paquet629.50
Sedan_Clan24971.50
Dino GT35131.50
      05-23-2022, 07:16 AM   #5871
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Toronto has "safe injection sites", the crime rate is through the roof in the surrounding neighbourhoods, the folks that live there and some are in well off communities are pissed off, human waste everywhere, dirty needles everywhere, can't take their kids to the park or school yard. Street crime and drug dealing and what does the city want as the next step, decriminalize all drugs. What could possibly go wrong? I grew up and lived in Toronto for much of my life, I liked living in the city but I am so glad I'm a 2 1/2 hour drive away in the country now.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rime-1.5232876
Damn - I wasn't aware things were that bad in Toronto.
I recall Vancouver trying that safe injection site (nonsense, I call it) - with the same issues - crime up, needle litter etc.
What's that definition of madness again - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      05-23-2022, 07:17 AM   #5872
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Damn - I wasn't aware things were that bad in Toronto.
I recall Vancouver trying that safe injection site (nonsense, I call it) - with the same issues - crime up, needle litter etc.
What's that definition of madness again - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...
Toronto has been going down this path for a very long time, it just seems to be picking up speed in it's race to absurdity.
Appreciate 2
paquet629.50
      05-23-2022, 07:23 AM   #5873
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

I believe you. You and Sedan_Clan see the entire spectrum of human behaviour.
Apparently now violent car-jackings are 'normal' too - saw that news item about some hockey player kid getting his range rover stolen.

PS: Not trying to suck up, just genuine appreciation this morning from north of Toronto where I accept my limitations on dealing with people (as I try to move about on 2 hours of sleep, and coffee) - which in turn makes me appreciate how you folks deal with that shit day in and day out, while being berated by the populace etc (saw that post above about the SPD)
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2022, 08:05 AM   #5874
Jklotz
Private
Rep

We've got 3 - 4 shootings a week here (lot's of gunplay), insane lawlessness, a constant parade of dodge chargers with no muffler blaring rap, car jackings, etc, but jeez, a government mandated junkie free for all zone? Man, that is crazy!
Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
Sedan_Clan24971.50