New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-20-2024, 03:10 PM   #7305
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Any time man. Thanks for carrying your burden.
Illuminating the Green Insanity for what it is isn't work. I do feel sad people don't realize an EV is twice as likely to kill them by fire as a shitbox Pinto, but early Green adopters gotta adopt, I guess.

EDIT: I'm sure the mods don't care for our back and forth Sparky, so what I can't see, I don't need to comment on, LOL. On the ignore list you go.

Last edited by Weather Man; 03-20-2024 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
gblansten1976.50
      03-20-2024, 03:47 PM   #7306
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Not surprising. Only the start of the scale backs.

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-...amid-criticism

There’s a defunct shopping mall a few miles from my house. The parking lot is being used right now by Tesla, and the herd of brand new vehicles sitting in that lot is growing by the day. Hard to estimate, but there could be between 700-1000 cars sitting there right now. The parking lot looks like a few days before Christmas at the old mall.
Appreciate 5
Donatello.1083.50
M5Rick60069.50
eugenebmw1479.00
crAbb1224.50
      03-20-2024, 04:00 PM   #7307
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
gblansten is not doing his fair share. He should have a Tesla plaid for every day of the week by now.
Appreciate 4
gblansten1976.50
M5Rick60069.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-20-2024, 04:14 PM   #7308
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Illuminating the Green Insanity for what it is isn't work. I do feel sad people don't realize an EV is twice as likely to kill them by fire as a shitbox Pinto, but early Green adopters gotta adopt, I guess.

EDIT: I'm sure the mods don't care for our back and forth Sparky, so what I can't see, I don't need to comment on, LOL. On the ignore list you go.
While you cannot see this, that is cool. We just don't see eye to eye on this topic out of millions. While I love my green insanity shitbox Pinto EV you do not seem to share that same affection. I wish you the best. Stay well.
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2024, 04:23 PM   #7309
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

There’s a defunct shopping mall a few miles from my house. The parking lot is being used right now by Tesla, and the herd of brand new vehicles sitting in that lot is growing by the day. Hard to estimate, but there could be between 700-1000 cars sitting there right now. The parking lot looks like a few days before Christmas at the old mall.
Tesla has never navigated a down market, high interest rates or actual competition, and they have all three in spades right now.
Appreciate 4
NickyC17484.50
M5Rick60069.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-20-2024, 04:40 PM   #7310
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Tesla has never navigated a down market, high interest rates or actual competition, and they have all three in spades right now.
Tesla's profit is from selling carbon credits to auto companies that can't meet the CAFE standards so it is US ICE buyers keeping Tesla in the green "so to speak".

The Government taketh and the Government giveth.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60069.50
eugenebmw1479.00
crAbb1224.50
      03-20-2024, 08:14 PM   #7311
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So today I drove to Maryland for a meeting. Round trip was about 200 miles. Halfway home my wife calls. There is a forest fire nearby, so the electric company shut off the electricity. There are no DCFC anywhere near my house or on the way home. I had a mission to pick up Chinese for dinner.

If I had an EV as my only car I'd be screwed. My 4.5 KW generator I use as backup wouldn't be powering the house and charging my ride to work at this moment.

Yeah, I'll stay with petrol. Thanks.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60069.50
eugenebmw1479.00
crAbb1224.50
      03-20-2024, 08:39 PM   #7312
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Did she die again?
Well, now we know why the Tesla went backwards into the pond:

Quote:
A toxicology report later showed that Chao had a blood-alcohol concentration of .233, the Blanco County Sheriff’s Office said in its report.
Did the Tesla keep her from killing innocent people on the road?
Appreciate 2
gblansten1976.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-20-2024, 08:43 PM   #7313
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Good luck to the drunk trying to get out of a Tesla. I can imagine the phone calls, LOL.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-21-2024, 05:35 AM   #7314
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I have no sympathy for drunks trying to drive as well as those on drugs who get themselves into trouble but a person did die in an awful way drunk or not.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-21-2024, 05:47 AM   #7315
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

The one question is what will happen to these vehicles and no doubt other ones piling up if they remain unsold.
Musk couldn't care a hoot as he's one of the richest men on the planet with many other things to fall back on.
So wondering if anyone has any suggestions other than the vehicles being given away free or as lottery prizes with gratis charging cables.
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1479.00
crAbb1224.50
      03-21-2024, 05:52 AM   #7316
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

Oh come on WM, gblanstein is humorous, he's one of the good ev guys.
Appreciate 2
kyriian884.50
      03-21-2024, 06:06 AM   #7317
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
The truth of climate change is it has nothing to do with the climate.
Capitalism Can’t Solve Climate Change
03/20/2024
Worse still, the world is failing on the energy transition for reasons that strike at the heart of capitalist economies, and which will therefore be very difficult to surmount. The core issue here is easy to state. Most countries are relying predominantly on the private sector to drive faster renewables investment; private firms invest on the basis of expected profits; but profitability in renewables is rarely attractive.
And the IEA, for its part, expects China to continue to be the sole meaningful over-achiever. It recently revised upwards by 728 GW its forecast for total global renewables capacity additions in the period 2023–27. China’s share of this upward revision? Almost 90 percent.
While China surges ahead, the rest of the world remains stuck.
The main answer is that in China, such development is capitalist in only a very limited sense. Certainly, the entities centrally involved in building out new solar and wind farms in China are companies. But almost all are state-owned. Take wind. Nine of the country’s top 10 wind developers are owned by the government, and such state-owned players control in excess of 95 percent of the market.
Add to this the fact that the banks financing all the new renewables development in China are generally also state-owned and directed, and a stark reality comes into focus. This is essentially central planning in action.
In the West, by contrast, the energy transition has effectively been outsourced to the private sector. Governments are by and large relying on private firms, driven by the profit motive, to substitute carbon-free for fossil-fuel-based power generation resources.
Under capitalism, profit expectations drive companies’ investment decisions. Developing and operating solar and wind farms and selling the electricity they generate, however, generally is not a very profitable business.
The consequence of all this is that Western policymakers face a choice that will only get starker as emissions continue and global temperatures further rise.
The alternative? To face a growing risk of climate catastrophe.
https://time.com/6958606/climate-cha...on-capitalism/

Even idiots know that China can't build coal powered power plants fast enough, they can't mine Lithium or refine cobalt quick enough but they are the model to solve the climate crisis?
The wet dream of all climate change cultists.
'Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.'
Mao Zedong
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60069.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-21-2024, 09:57 AM   #7318
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
03/20/2024
Worse still, the world is failing on the energy transition for reasons that strike at the heart of capitalist economies, and which will therefore be very difficult to surmount. The core issue here is easy to state. Most countries are relying predominantly on the private sector to drive faster renewables investment; private firms invest on the basis of expected profits; but profitability in renewables is rarely attractive.
And the IEA, for its part, expects China to continue to be the sole meaningful over-achiever. It recently revised upwards by 728 GW its forecast for total global renewables capacity additions in the period 2023–27. China’s share of this upward revision? Almost 90 percent.
The main answer is that in China, such development is capitalist in only a very limited sense. Certainly, the entities centrally involved in building out new solar and wind farms in China are companies. But almost all are state-owned. Take wind. Nine of the country’s top 10 wind developers are owned by the government, and such state-owned players control in excess of 95 percent of the market.
Add to this the fact that the banks financing all the new renewables development in China are generally also state-owned and directed, and a stark reality comes into focus. This is essentially central planning in action.
In the West, by contrast, the energy transition has effectively been outsourced to the private sector. Governments are by and large relying on private firms, driven by the profit motive, to substitute carbon-free for fossil-fuel-based power generation resources.
Under capitalism, profit expectations drive companies’ investment decisions. Developing and operating solar and wind farms and selling the electricity they generate, however, generally is not a very profitable business.
The consequence of all this is that Western policymakers face a choice that will only get starker as emissions continue and global temperatures further rise.

Even idiots know that China can't build coal powered power plants fast enough, they can't mine Lithium or refine cobalt quick enough but they are the model to solve the climate crisis?
Mao Zedong
Then when it all goes feet up they can say oh well we tried while ignoring the financers who may have lost out ''nothing to do with us, the scientists told us this was the best way and we simply forced ourselves out of nothing to make scapegoats and turn it into a lawful agenda. ''We were fooled, we have to be seen to be doing the right or wrong thing whatever the cost'' doh
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-21-2024, 10:44 AM   #7319
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That reminds me of when VW stop-sale and recalled all their diesels. In 2017 we roadtripped out West in the Z3, I member seeing sports stadiums with parking lots full of VW diesels.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1479.00
crAbb1224.50
      03-21-2024, 10:50 AM   #7320
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post

Did the Tesla keep her from killing innocent people on the road?
If she was just driving on the ranch, then no harm no foul. But I'd like to know did the Model Y catch on fire while underwater? That would totally suck to get burned to death while at the same time drowning. Ugh.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-21-2024, 10:57 AM   #7321
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That reminds me of when VW stop-sale and recalled all their diesels. In 2017 we roadtripped out West in the Z3, I member seeing sports stadiums with parking lots full of VW diesels.
You checked if they are still there heheh
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 10:59 AM   #7322
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If she was just driving on the ranch, then no harm no foul. But I'd like to know did the Model Y catch on fire while underwater? That would totally suck to get burned to death while at the same time drowning. Ugh.
Fire and water wouldn't mix in this scenario,,Ough!

Last edited by M5Rick; 03-21-2024 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-21-2024, 11:47 AM   #7323
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
03/20/2024

Mao Zedong
Wow! What a piece of incoherent drivel !
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 11:48 AM   #7324
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
You checked if they are still there heheh
I saw a modded Passat diesel yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 11:52 AM   #7325
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Oh come on WM, gblanstein is humorous, he's one of the good ev guys.
Maybe when the next airport parking garage goes EV kerflooey I'll take him off ignore. Meanwhile, the mods don't have to hear me shooting fish in a barrel over and over. To think you're more than 2X likely to die by fire in an EV over a shitbox 1971 Pinto is just crazy.

Last edited by Weather Man; 03-21-2024 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:49 PM   #7326
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

I saw a post from the car dealership guy on Twitter with an ad for a 2023 Volvo C40 EV that was $58k MSRP with 10k miles on it for $28k. And that’s the advertised price which means they prob paid 23k in trade/wholesale.

Someone got fleeced. Nobody wants to buy a new EV now that people have seen the massive depreciation they’re taking, hence the massive rebates. The cycle will continue as the low resale will create a large spread between new and used where it doesn’t make sense to buy new unless you’re leasing. So then they have to heavily subsidize the lease and the cycle continues as values are further depressed for used ones.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60069.50