New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-29-2019, 07:25 AM   #111
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Like the previous episodes, 10/10. I'll be reading books about this after it ends. Fascinating.

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #112
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
Like the previous episodes, 10/10. I'll be reading books about this after it ends. Fascinating.

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 08:51 AM   #113
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep

Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Superb show.

Have governments found a solution for long term storage of spent fuel? They should never have signed off nuclear power stations without it.

I foresee more disasters like Chernobyl & Fukushima in the future - probably from poorly stored spent fuel - which in many cases are stored next to highly populated cities.
Yes. It costs a lot of money however. Finland's geologic repository should begin accepting high level waste next year. They front loaded the total costs of their nuclear power into the rates charged for electricity.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #114
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Dude I get it but they literally had half the episode with the dude walking around and shooting dogs. Stronnnnggggg cringe. I can put up with a lot but 30 mins of killing dogs? Are these guys just insane or are they savages?

Constantly showing little kids and pregnant women...now dogs. Pure filth of a show.
Unfortunately that was a neutered depiction of reality. Wanna see it live...was it filth then?

Those were the people affected so why not show it. I had to mute it when the dogs were dying to. But animals were killed, pets seperated from families(that were displaced) all cause higher ups got to protect their jobs.
Imagine it being your job all day for 12 hours shooting dogs, and not just watching from the comfort of your living room ur living room.

Just to put into perspective; the amount of people died is just another "mentally ill shooting incident for USA" so really shows how fucked we really are.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #115
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

they drink a lot of vodka in this series
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #116
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Question for military folk. Where do yall get your booze and smokes? I know from watching MRE videos soldiers used to get maybe a shot and 2 smokes in their MRE's. Now how does one obtain liquors and smokes.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #117
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Our resident pretend Russian special forces guy sure is a sensitive Svetlana, can’t handle the reality of what actually occurred there. He'd rather see video of fields of flowers, puppies and kids happily playing around the ruins of the worst nuclear accident in history. Yes dogs were killed, cats were killed, live stock were killed, thousands of citizens thyroids were removed, people died, adults and children died and are still medically affected by radiation poisoning, birth defects galore.
It happened and it was horrific. All due to stupidity, bad politburo control and shoddy construction with no thought of containment if there was an accident.

Most Russians manned up and admit it but there are a scant few that want to still hide the truth behind their iron curtain but the world knows and nothing the deniers say will change it. You don’t like it, don’t watch it but stop the whining.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #118
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Wouldn't you?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #119
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
all cause higher ups got to protect their jobs
Where do people come up with this stuff? Nobody is trying to protect their job, they're handling the situation the best they can.

Showing dog deaths and pregnant women hours on end is despicable and disgusting.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #120
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Stereotyping 101
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #121
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

spetsnazos

Bro they are literally chugging vodka the whole fuckin show at least the soliders. The army guy even said all they give us rubbles and vodka. People trend to drink alcohol to numb their realities. Maybe you should give it a go?

Maybe your a russian or something but everyone shits stinks. Hell look at what Hurrican Katrina did to the USA. Complete mismanagement of serious shit.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #122
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Our resident pretend Russian special forces guy sure is a sensitive Svetlana, can’t handle the reality of what actually occurred there. He'd rather see video of fields of flowers, puppies and kids happily playing around the ruins of the worst nuclear accident in history. Yes dogs were killed, cats were killed, live stock were killed, thousands of citizens thyroids were removed, people died, adults and children died and are still medically affected by radiation poisoning, birth defects galore.
It happened and it was horrific. All due to stupidity, bad politburo control and shoddy construction with no thought of containment if there was an accident.

Most Russians manned up and admit it but there are a scant few that want to still hide the truth behind their iron curtain but the world knows and nothing the deniers say will change it. You don’t like it, don’t watch it but stop the whining.
I'm not denying it happened, but it wasn't a coverup or some other conspiracy that you would love to believe. Not everything is a coverup, stop watching Rachel Maddow.

You wanna talk coverup? You may want to pop open that internet browser and search for 3 Mile Island in Pennsylvania. Talk about idiocy, the one we had in the US was because some imbecile didn't know how to read the dashboard to see if the valve is closed or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #123
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
spetsnazos

Bro they are literally chugging vodka the whole fuckin show at least the soliders. The army guy even said all they give us rubbles and vodka. People trend to drink alcohol to numb their realities. Maybe you should give it a go?

Maybe your a russian or something but everyone shits stinks. Hell look at what Hurrican Katrina did to the USA. Complete mismanagement of serious shit.
Look tragedies happen, Katrina, Chernobyl, 3 mile island, etc, but it wasn't a coverup at Chernobyl...not one bit.

You want to talk legit coverup? Fukushima. It's still spewing radioactive waste and the Japanese government keeps denying and allowing tourists visits near the plant.

To this day green peace is the only one fighting to get more action by the Japanese...ffs it's been 8 years!

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-fukushima-current-state-clean-up.html
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #124
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Look tragedies happen, Katrina, Chernobyl, 3 mile island, etc, but it wasn't a coverup at Chernobyl...not one bit.

You want to talk legit coverup? Fukushima. It's still spewing radioactive waste and the Japanese government keeps denying and allowing tourists visits near the plant.

To this day green peace is the only one fighting to get more action by the Japanese...ffs it's been 8 years!

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-fukush...-clean-up.html
Hey man, Like I said everyone shit stinks. So every government or anyone for that matter will always try to cover up their shit. But if it stinks enough; everyone knows.

Just reality I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #125
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Hey I'm not stopping you from watching Cold War propaganda turned up to 10. I'm just here to put a bit of common sense down on the table.
It's not cold war propoganda and you aren't showing any common sense. Yes, everyone in the western world knew within hours that there was a nuclear accident of some type at Chernobyl. They did not know the extent for months (at the very least). Do you think that the West Germans would have represented that the Joker would be able to manage the radiation on the roof of the plant if they knew the quantum of the radiation? It was severely understated by the Soviets. The entire Joker episode is well documented fact. It was only in 1990 that the Soviets admitted that robots could not do the rooftop cleanup and that "bio-robots" were required. The "bio-robots" are100% factual and documented.

As for the animals, documented fact that teams were sent to eradicate irradiated animal populations. What's portrayed on screen (from the hardened Afghan vets to the "puppies") comes straight from Voice of Chernobyl but aligns with other documented sources. Yes, Pavol appears to be a composite character, but consistent with historical accounts.

Yes, there is some hyperbole in using the highest level of potential consequences to make dramatic point (eg. if the core melted through the slab, the size of the destruction was a possibility and not the likely result, but it was not fiction) and the timelines have been altered a bit to make the series work as a dramatic narrative, but the facts are the facts and this is a deeply honest retelling of the story.
Appreciate 4
N54Yankee2706.00
dtla1826.00
      05-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #126
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
I'm not denying it happened, but it wasn't a coverup or some other conspiracy that you would love to believe. Not everything is a coverup, stop watching Rachel Maddow.

You wanna talk coverup? You may want to pop open that internet browser and search for 3 Mile Island in Pennsylvania. Talk about idiocy, the one we had in the US was because some imbecile didn't know how to read the dashboard to see if the valve is closed or not.
I didn’t say it was a conspiracy, I clearly stated in the my post you just quoted that most Russians admit the horrors of what happened. I mentioned to you before the library full of books written by Russians, interviewing Russians involved in the disaster of what actually did happen there. You’re one of the rare few who are downplaying it against all the evidence and eyewitnesses.

I lived through 3 mile island and maybe you can tell us all how many workers were killed, how many irradiated, how many civilians died or were maimed for life from radiation, how many birth defects.
Six hours after the issue at the plant the Governor got on the tv at 7:00 am that same day and told the world what happened, that’s the way it’s supposed to be done.

On the other hand, Chernobyl blew it top like an M-80 loaded exploding watermelon spewing U-235 for many thousands of square miles but they kept their mouths shut for days even after it was detected by the Swedes thousands miles away. What a pathetic reaction to a horrific disaster, yet you deny it and defend it.

You defend Russian alcoholism stories calling it stereotyping. Evidence is abound everywhere. The WHO( World Health Organization) begs to differ with you, they and all the others call it fact. You are a walking talking contradiction of facts and nothing you say should be taken seriously.

https://qz.com/403307/russia-is-quit...self-to-death/
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 05-29-2019 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #127
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Russian accents would be better than silly British accents. Or how about just plain Russian with subtitles?
I am 100% with you there. My parents came here from Kiev in 1973, so my whole family and most of their friends have accents and I am having trouble getting my head around the British accents for a show that takes place in that part of the world.

Other than that, I am enjoying it and IMO, I think it's well done and seems to depict what I've read in most books pretty accurately.
P111541.50
      06-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #128
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Finally got around to watching Episode 4, and the show remains as engaging as ever. Tough to watch as they killed the animals though. One more episode left.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 01:18 AM   #129
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Finally got around to watching Episode 4, and the show remains as engaging as ever. Tough to watch as they killed the animals though. One more episode left.
Yep, they just wanted to dehumanize the soldiers/people as much as possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:42 AM   #130
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

can't wait for the finale tomorrow. very good show. I'm having to brush up on my physics.

From what I understand it was mainly particle radiation or alpha/beta decay products that led to the firefighters and their clothes becoming 'contaminated'. And these also led to the burns we saw on the workers that looked at the reactor or were nearby. these products were also carried by the smoke.

Then you have high energy gamma/xray radiation (no particle). penetrating through the entire body of a person and also leading to radiation sickness as well. without a thick shield of lead these can't be stopped. but they only do 'immediate damage' to DNA and don't linger around.

my question is about the 'neutron bullets' legasov mentions. Did decay isotopes escape into the air too and continue to fission and rain down neutrons or something?

would love to hear an explanation from a physicist on this forum.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #131
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Just watched the 45 min YouTube documentary on Chernobyl. Gives you kinda of minute by minute count on what exactly happened and who made the decisions.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #132
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Yep, they just wanted to dehumanize the soldiers/people as much as possible.
Nothing to do with dehumanization; instead, that was the reality of the situation. In fact, it clearly reflected that the animals should not be made to suffer.
Appreciate 1