New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #705
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
That was smart to test the waters. Apparently you can handle the weight just fine. Do you use straps at all? I have to bust them out usually over 405. Depends on the day and how my grip feels. I read a few articles on how your CNS is directly related to grip strength. Pretty interesting.

I’m definitely feeling it today after the squat variations yesterday. I also did my heavy walking BB lunges up to 225. So my legs are smoked today!

Box Squats are one of my favs! Another great variation to work into programming. I’m actually due to work them in this week. Have you ever used chains on any of your Squats? My gym has them. I will frequently throw them on to spice it up! Haaa

I usually can get a few sets of 405 without straps, but by the 3rd set my grip is starting to be the weak link. But I trained grip and forearms with professional arm wrestlers for about 2 years straight a few years ago on my training partner's off days. Those guys were insane. But my forearms took off....and still look like I train them specifically!

But I've always tried to do stuff like that. If I could train with someone who specialized in a certain sport......I would kind of tag along if they would let me. IMO.....that was the best way of learning and pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I knew they wouldn't take it easy on me......so it worked out pretty good.

Always someone out there to learn something from!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #706
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I may be out for while shoulder pretty bad now. Guess it's a chance to grow my chicken legs
What’s up with your shoulder? What type of movements bother it? Limited mobility? I’ve been dealing with left shoulder pain for years. I just deal with it and program around it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #707
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I usually can get a few sets of 405 without straps, but by the 3rd set my grip is starting to be the weak link. But I trained grip and forearms with professional arm wrestlers for about 2 years straight a few years ago on my training partner's off days. Those guys were insane. But my forearms took off....and still look like I train them specifically!

But I've always tried to do stuff like that. If I could train with someone who specialized in a certain sport......I would kind of tag along if they would let me. IMO.....that was the best way of learning and pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I knew they wouldn't take it easy on me......so it worked out pretty good.

Always someone out there to learn something from!
Grip strength is something I always try and improve on. The farmer walk/pinch are awesome. I think a lot of my success training comes from my athletic background. I was “Cross Training” long before it became a “thing”.

Took a day off yesterday since I was crushed from the past 2 Strength days, I definitely felt it.

That being said on Tuesday I did DLs. 7x3 up to a 3RM of 465 BOOM!!! 500 is within reach. Today is a garage session of Biceps/Hams. Heavy RDLs, BB curls. Accessory work. Tomorrow is Front Sqwaatz n Cleans!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #708
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Yeah I have with right shoulder from motorcycle for years. Now my left feels jacked did rear delts and traps rather light today and felt okay. Overhead mostly an issue right now and bench.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #709
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I have with right shoulder from motorcycle for years. Now my left feels jacked did rear delts and traps rather light today and felt okay. Overhead mostly an issue right now and bench.
Same with me....I have to be careful with overhead. The days of putting heavyweight overhead are over. My bench is affected also...sucks. I have good days and shitty days. I’ve been doing a lot of mobility and self maintenance lately. Swimming helps also.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #710
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Grip strength is something I always try and improve on. The farmer walk/pinch are awesome. I think a lot of my success training comes from my athletic background. I was “Cross Training” long before it became a “thing”.

Took a day off yesterday since I was crushed from the past 2 Strength days, I definitely felt it.

That being said on Tuesday I did DLs. 7x3 up to a 3RM of 465 BOOM!!! 500 is within reach. Today is a garage session of Biceps/Hams. Heavy RDLs, BB curls. Accessory work. Tomorrow is Front Sqwaatz n Cleans!
Nice!!!! 465 is some serious weight. My Active Recovery week is coming up so I will be lowering the weights, readjusting for my new maxes, and then starting the process all over again. Tomorrow is Bench. Since I stopped at 3 reps for 365 for AMRAP last time...it has me at the same weight again and attempting to set a new max.

Yeah with those guys, we did farmers walks, plate pinch, roll-ups and downs with a rope with weights on it, wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, and one exercise where you sit on the end of a bench, pick up a barbell, and hold it until it dropped from your hands...literally. We would be doing up to 5 plates with it even if we had assistance to get it there in the first place.

Then we have this old Nautilus forearm machine that lets you work with gripping, supination, curls, etc.

We used Fat Gripz of assorted sizes, and sometimes those exercise above would be done in a giant series starting with the barbell hold.

Another thing my training partner wants to start rotating in is "chain work". We used to do a lot of it. We set up this bucket in the corner of the weight room and the owner let us store some huge logging chains. We would use them in a ton of different exercises.
      04-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #711
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same with me....I have to be careful with overhead. The days of putting heavyweight overhead are over. My bench is affected also...sucks. I have good days and shitty days. I’ve been doing a lot of mobility and self maintenance lately. Swimming helps also.
Yeah will work around here for a bit and focus on lower body more, need that anyways and do what dont hurt too much. Nothing felt too bad today except overhead press which did super light and when did reverse peck deck hand position need to have thumbs up so should joint is open rather than closed if rotate hands.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 04-25-2019 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #712
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice!!!! 465 is some serious weight. My Active Recovery week is coming up so I will be lowering the weights, readjusting for my new maxes, and then starting the process all over again. Tomorrow is Bench. Since I stopped at 3 reps for 365 for AMRAP last time...it has me at the same weight again and attempting to set a new max.
So today was bench with the 365 for AMRAP. I got 4 reps. I was all fired up to hit at least 5 since I got 3 and stopped the other day with my shoulder.

Warms up went easy, and I was thinking I'm going to knock this out of the park! Rep #4 went up somewhat easy.....Rep #5 started normally and I had a good controlled negative.....went to go back up and the bar pinned me after moving it about 3 inches....LOL!

Only two years ago I had hit 405. Now that number seems so far away and that 365 was HEAVY!!!
      04-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #713
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

365 is heavy for most people for dead or squat forget bench
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 05:28 AM   #714
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
365 is heavy for most people for dead or squat forget bench
Yeah....I guess. But you know how it is.....you go in with certain expectations....and you get bitch slapped back into reality!
      04-27-2019, 06:56 AM   #715
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Exert your dominance
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #716
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I haven't been up to 455 in awhile. But after getting into this thread, I figured I couldn't justify age with cutting back on the weights.

What I have been doing is testing the waters. I knew I had the 455 coming up, so the week before I did rack pulls with it just to get a taste for what I was in for. Maybe it's a mental thing for me, but I had to feel it before actually committing to it.

Those squats are crazy. I've dome something similar in the past. people don't realize how hard it is when you stop and pause and you take the momentum out of it.

It's a lot easier coming out of the hole when you have that on your side as you body is kind of coiled like a spring to come up.

I need to start adding some box squats back in. Those were similar. You get a whole different type of soreness in other areas from those types of exercises!
Rmtt, Finally did Box Squats today. Box just below parallel. Volume 7x5 up to 350. Felt pretty good. Forgot how much I like them as a good variation alternative. Polished off with another fav. BB walking lunges 40ft up to 225. Leg game is solid right now. Worked tricep stuff and conditioning of course. Summer is here in South Florida!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #717
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Rmtt, Finally did Box Squats today. Box just below parallel. Volume 7x5 up to 350. Felt pretty good. Forgot how much I like them as a good variation alternative. Polished off with another fav. BB walking lunges 40ft up to 225. Leg game is solid right now. Worked tricep stuff and conditioning of course. Summer is here in South Florida!
Nice...you are knocking it out of the park. Not having done them in awhile, and you're using 350lbs is impressive! Those aren't something you just jump back into.....so it shows just how strong you are. There is a lot more involved in just legs, so that is crazy!

We got this new squat machine that I used this morning after back squats. I need to look at the name of it again. Basically it has a belt that you hook up to a cable on the platform. You load the backside up with plates, then squat down on the platform, hook up the cable, standup, and release the guides.

Then you have handles you can hold onto, and go as low and as far backwards as you want without worrying about balance.

I just used 3 plates on each side, but man what a stretch. Feels like it's peeling your quads off. Plus I can see a lot of variations you could do to hit hamstrings and glutes.

But you work it to failure as you have to be at the bottom to get unhooked. Still trying to decide if I like it....or just outside my comfort zone and I need to suck it up!
      05-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #718
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nice...you are knocking it out of the park. Not having done them in awhile, and you're using 350lbs is impressive! Those aren't something you just jump back into.....so it shows just how strong you are. There is a lot more involved in just legs, so that is crazy!

We got this new squat machine that I used this morning after back squats. I need to look at the name of it again. Basically it has a belt that you hook up to a cable on the platform. You load the backside up with plates, then squat down on the platform, hook up the cable, standup, and release the guides.

Then you have handles you can hold onto, and go as low and as far backwards as you want without worrying about balance.

I just used 3 plates on each side, but man what a stretch. Feels like it's peeling your quads off. Plus I can see a lot of variations you could do to hit hamstrings and glutes.

But you work it to failure as you have to be at the bottom to get unhooked. Still trying to decide if I like it....or just outside my comfort zone and I need to suck it up!
Thanks Rmtt, yeah I was definitely happy with the numbers. Pushing that kind of weight from a dead stop is tough. It activates the muscle in such a different way which i like. A lot of power is generated from the hips which translates to a lot of other movements. Guess I don’t see it as crazy weight since I’m used to hitting those numbers. But a few of my buddies who were training near me were like “Damn bro you made that look easy “ always a nice compliment especially since they are 10-15 years younger then me...lol.

I know the machine you speak of and it’s awesome. I believe it pulls you down, almost like you are doing banded reps. It blasts your legs! I wish mygym had one. I’ve used one a few times at a few powerlifting gyms.

Wanted to wish you and your family the best at the wedding! Enjoy every minute! From one Dad to another Congrats!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #719
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Rmtt, yeah I was definitely happy with the numbers. Pushing that kind of weight from a dead stop is tough. It activates the muscle in such a different way which i like. A lot of power is generated from the hips which translates to a lot of other movements. Guess I don’t see it as crazy weight since I’m used to hitting those numbers. But a few of my buddies who were training near me were like “Damn bro you made that look easy “ always a nice compliment especially since they are 10-15 years younger then me...lol.

I know the machine you speak of and it’s awesome. I believe it pulls you down, almost like you are doing banded reps. It blasts your legs! I wish mygym had one. I’ve used one a few times at a few powerlifting gyms.

Wanted to wish you and your family the best at the wedding! Enjoy every minute! From one Dad to another Congrats!

The Machine is called Rogue. It's like the banded ones, but let's you use plates on the back instead and it pulls you down. Our owner was a competitive power-lifter in the 80's, so it's more of a power-lifting oriented gym.

That's what I like most about it!

Thanks for the best wishes....honestly I'm a nervous wreck right now!
      05-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #720
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
The Machine is called Rogue. It's like the banded ones, but let's you use plates on the back instead and it pulls you down. Our owner was a competitive power-lifter in the 80's, so it's more of a power-lifting oriented gym.

That's what I like most about it!

Thanks for the best wishes....honestly I'm a nervous wreck right now!
Sounds like a great gym!

Training note....DLs today 5,5,5,3,3,3 up to 465. Felt solid. Then Pendlay rows 5x5 up to 245. Solid as well. Strength on the ups!

As for being nervous....seems about right for giving your daughter away in marriage. Have a great day brother!

Last edited by FlaPatsFan; 05-08-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #721
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Programming with new trainer has been good. Have him working on my legs for me and said my biggest issue is that they are so knotted up and tight not using full muscle so growth limited. Hes trying to fix that and compensations I make to get them to take off. Funny thing about paying someone to work with you. You really bust your ass cuz you dont wanna waste the money.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #722
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Programming with new trainer has been good. Have him working on my legs for me and said my biggest issue is that they are so knotted up and tight not using full muscle so growth limited. Hes trying to fix that and compensations I make to get them to take off. Funny thing about paying someone to work with you. You really bust your ass cuz you dont wanna waste the money.

Have you ever looked into deep tissue massage? Back when I was really going heavy with legs, I would try and schedule one of those ever other week. They would break up the knots, and most importantly help facilitate the fascia which is the sheath that covers every muscle.

It's been proven that a tight fascia can restrict muscle growth as there is basically no pliability or room.

Deep Tissue massage is painful...but effective. So is extreme stretching when the muscle is full of blood.

You can read several articles on fascia stretching that substantiate the benefits.

Glad things are going good with you. Sometimes it's best to have a second set of eyes no matter how experienced you are. I'm the first to admit I don't know it all and always looking to learn.

You and FlaPatsFan have really helped motivate me and open my eyes to new ways of training!
      05-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #723
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Yeah....I guess. But you know how it is.....you go in with certain expectations....and you get bitch slapped back into reality!
Like Henry Rollins says - the iron will never lie to you.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #724
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you ever looked into deep tissue massage? Back when I was really going heavy with legs, I would try and schedule one of those ever other week. They would break up the knots, and most importantly help facilitate the fascia which is the sheath that covers every muscle.

It's been proven that a tight fascia can restrict muscle growth as there is basically no pliability or room.

Deep Tissue massage is painful...but effective. So is extreme stretching when the muscle is full of blood.

You can read several articles on fascia stretching that substantiate the benefits.

Glad things are going good with you. Sometimes it's best to have a second set of eyes no matter how experienced you are. I'm the first to admit I don't know it all and always looking to learn.

You and FlaPatsFan have really helped motivate me and open my eyes to new ways of training!
Yeah he is trying to break down those knots as well as increase flexibility in our sessions now. Programming he sends out and I'm doing solo at this point. Once he gets me sorted a bit then will do more in the gym with him.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #725
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah he is trying to break down those knots as well as increase flexibility in our sessions now. Programming he sends out and I'm doing solo at this point. Once he gets me sorted a bit then will do more in the gym with him.
I go once every few weeks for trigger point massage, works great for me and I feel back to 100% after. Especially in my hip and low back areas.

I also have a Hyperice vibrating foam roller. The thing is awesome, it takes foam rolling to the next level. It gets deeper into the muscle belly and fibers. I use it before train, religiously.

Finally, I use an inversion table once a day. Picked one up on Craigslist for a steal! It absolutely loosenes/opens up my spine, hips, shoulders etc. Gets the blood flowing to areas that don’t normally get it.

These body maintenance techniques and equipment essential for me, which directly impact and help/heal my recovery and training
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #726
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah have triggerpoint firm roller and grid ball as well as lacrosse style ball to work with. Seems as soon as I workout I get all knotted up again.
Appreciate 0