New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

06-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #793
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Get a tape worm now and really clean that fat up.
I'm trying! Bad thing is my appetite is back with a vengeance, and I'm back on my diet which is about 3300 calories right now.

I wish I could be like one of those guys that get lean as they "grow" into a show or contest!
      06-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #794
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

I hear you, dont know my calories but guessing could do 4-5 no problems. Just track my protein and then rest not too crazy about.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #795
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Gained a few pounds over past month. Good weight, I’ve been more consistent with getting more food/calories in.

How do you guys feel about cheat days? Especially at our age. Good? Bad? Beneficial?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #796
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Depends what you mean by cheat I am eating enough dont feel like adding more crap, dont even wanna have a beer. If you mean fat or sugar already eat that not being super clean right now
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #797
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Gained a few pounds over past month. Good weight, I’ve been more consistent with getting more food/calories in.

How do you guys feel about cheat days? Especially at our age. Good? Bad? Beneficial?
Firm believer in flexible dieting to prevent cheat days, but after dieting the past few months and I have done a few "Refeed" days just to keep my metabolism up and running. With leptin plummeting it helped me to go the distance with the last few weeks of the cut.

Overall I think they are a bad habit but if I do have one it's after a big squat day or something.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #798
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My thoughts are that they are fine when you are in a calorie deficit and need to stimulate your thyroid after dieting for awhile. In fact I find that the leaner I get, the more of them I can actually get away with as your body tends to partition the calories better when your insulin levels are typically lower on average.

During a bulk I think they can be detrimental as you are already in a surplus and your body is in "storage mode".....but I'm also not anal about trying to be in 100% shape year anymore.

When you are maintaining, I think they are acceptable 1-2 times a week as long as you are replacing the calories you are normally eating and not going into a surplus which can cause BF to creep up on you if not careful.

But overall...I feel that if you stay within a shape that allows you to use a small deficit and be back where you want in 3-4 weeks without killing yourself....you are good.

Is that confusing enough? LOL. JMO of course and I am not an expert...just know how my body is!
      06-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #799
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Does gaining a lb a day sound right ? I'm looking to star on my 600lb life.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #800
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does gaining a lb a day sound right ? I'm looking to star on my 600lb life.
LOL...I actually caught that show for the first time last night during one of my "sleepless" episodes. I think they had a marathon going on.

Kind of shocked that the Dr. criticizing these people didn't appear to be in the shape I thought he would be in.....But I guess he is older and he actually does help these people if they follow his guidelines.

Kind of like walking into a gym and them introducing you to one of their personal trainers...and you are in way better shape than they are. But in his situation, there are always in worse condition than him or they wouldn't be needing him!
      06-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #801
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Up 2 lbs in 3 days I'm gonna have to take some turbo lax.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #802
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Up 2 lbs in 3 days I'm gonna have to take some turbo lax.
It's just your body adjusting to the new diet. If you were only ensuring you were hitting your protein and letting everything else fall where it did before...it's more than likely mostly water as you probably have increased your carbs.

Most people I have dealt with in the past did it differently than what you were doing. They guessed at everything and usually when that happens they are eating more carbs and fat than what they think, and under-eating protein. And if trying to gain weight they aren't typically hitting total calorie goals at all.

It's a lot harder to eat a certain amount of protein for a lot of people as it is more "filling". You have to chew a lot more to get 1 - 1.5 grams per pounds of BW a day and you get full more quickly and stay feeling that way for longer.

That's why most people your size have to revert to supplements....or else you would be eating constantly just to hit your requirements!

I grew out of eating the typical 6 meals a day years ago. Now I eat maybe 4. But that's still 60 -70 grams of protein per meal not including your other macros. I feel better eating 30-40 grams at a serving and supplementing the rest!
      06-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #803
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah im doing 6ish a day. Plan was 5 meals of 700 calories and 40 grams protein plus bedtime shake. I'm used to getting the protein which I guess is good. I'm feeling fine so far just bit of adjustment. Water comment is correct been drinking about double since upped calories.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #804
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah im doing 6ish a day. Plan was 5 meals of 700 calories and 40 grams protein plus bedtime shake. I'm used to getting the protein which I guess is good. I'm feeling fine so far just bit of adjustment.
That's about where I'm at when not dieting. But spread out with 4 meals with a bedtime shake, and huge shake of protein and carbs right after my workout in the A.M.
      06-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #805
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah its flexible. Dont wanna be too crazy. New favorite breakfast is power cakes and nutella. With glass of milk its 950 calories and 50grms.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:56 AM   #806
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah its flexible. Dont wanna be too crazy. New favorite breakfast is power cakes and nutella. With glass of milk its 950 calories and 50grms.
Chris have you tried Kodiac Cakes? It’s high protein pancake/waffle mix, freakin delicious!

Rmtt....forgot to mention. I hit a 2rep PR on Jeffersons yesterday....405, 1 rep each side. Felt guuuuud!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 05:23 AM   #807
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Chris have you tried Kodiac Cakes? It’s high protein pancake/waffle mix, freakin delicious!

Rmtt....forgot to mention. I hit a 2rep PR on Jeffersons yesterday....405, 1 rep each side. Felt guuuuud!!!!
I love Kodiac Cakes. The plain ones have a vanilla taste tio them. Their waffles are great too.

Thats awesome about the Jefferson's. You make me feel bad! Even though I'm not sick anymore, I feel like I'm still struggling at times.
      06-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #808
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yes that is what I meant when said power cakes. I make them then make a sandwich with 2 pancakes with nutella between. Just gonna make some now.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 06-29-2019 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #809
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So since Crossfit is in the title, I figured I would touch on that. I've said in the past how I like to train with people at high levels of their sport.

Of course I have my regular training partner who is a beast, been training together over 10 years. But when his schedule gets changed about 1X a month, I train with a good friend who does cross-Fit.

Now this is the guy I aspire my conditioning to be like. He's won tons of local and regional competitions, and he's currently in France trying to qualify for the World Cross-Fit games.

I just got a text yesterday that he actually won one of his events after already placing top 5 in a few others.

This guy has a "motor" like no one I've ever seen when it comes to cardio and conditioning. He just doesn't know the word "can't"!

Fingers crossed, but if he keeps going like he is we may get to see him at the World Games.

Just figured I would put it out there. His name is Josh Miller.

Last edited by Rmtt; 07-01-2019 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #810
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
So since Crossfit is in the title, I figured I would touch on that. I've said in the past how I like to train with people at high levels of their sport.

Of course I have my regular training partner who is a beast, been training together over 10 years. But when his schedule gets changed about 1X a month, I train with a good friend who does cross-Fit.

Now this is the guy I aspire my conditioning to be like. He's won tons of local and regional competitions, and he's currently in France trying to qualify for the World Cross-Fit games.

I just got a text yesterday that he actually won one of his events after already placing top 5 in a few others.

This guy has a "motor" like anyone I've ever seen when it comes to cardio and conditioning. He just doesn't know the word "can't"!

Fingers crossed, but if he keeps going like he is we may get to see him at the World Games.

Just figured I would put it out there. His name is Josh Miller.
That’s awesome Rmtt, I will definitely keep a eye out for him. There were a few of us talking more CrossFit stuff early in this thread.

I competed also, but as a Masters Athlete (40-44). I never made it past the World Wide online qualification tho. But just to make it that far I was happy. This was a few years back before my shoulder injury and my son being born. I didn’t want to get surgery and just did not have the time to train to prepare for competitions anymore. Mainly it was my shoulder. I enjoyed competing but more so the preparation.

As you mentioned your “Motor” needs to be ridiculous. That is what I spent most time on. The Olympic lifts were a close second. Then gymnastic stuff.

CrossFit has changed ALOT since I started it back in 2009. But that’s what CrossFit is variation and change. I still do a lot of the workouts and movements, but nothing that will risk further injury on my shoulder. The powerlifting suits me well along with the functional stuff.

Glad to hear you dabble with CrossFit, it absolutely helps us older guys when done safely and correctly.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #811
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s awesome Rmtt, I will definitely keep a eye out for him. There were a few of us talking more CrossFit stuff early in this thread.

I competed also, but as a Masters Athlete (40-44). I never made it past the World Wide online qualification tho. But just to make it that far I was happy. This was a few years back before my shoulder injury and my son being born. I didn’t want to get surgery and just did not have the time to train to prepare for competitions anymore. Mainly it was my shoulder. I enjoyed competing but more so the preparation.

As you mentioned your “Motor” needs to be ridiculous. That is what I spent most time on. The Olympic lifts were a close second. Then gymnastic stuff.

CrossFit has changed ALOT since I started it back in 2009. But that’s what CrossFit is variation and change. I still do a lot of the workouts and movements, but nothing that will risk further injury on my shoulder. The powerlifting suits me well along with the functional stuff.

Glad to hear you dabble with CrossFit, it absolutely helps us older guys when done safely and correctly.

Just got word that he won another event. So now he's officially qualified for the World Games!

That's awesome you competed. You have my utmost respect. Just seeing the work he puts into....you guys are insane.

I could never do that. One, I'm just not good enough. Two....anything like that for too long and my body drops weight like it's going out of style.

I can't eat enough to keep up.
      06-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #812
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Just got word that he won another event. So now he's officially qualified for the World Games!

That's awesome you competed. You have my utmost respect. Just seeing the work he puts into....you guys are insane.

I could never do that. One, I'm just not good enough. Two....anything like that for too long and my body drops weight like it's going out of style.

I can't eat enough to keep up.
Thanks man I appreciate that. I’m not where I used to be but happy with where I’m at fitness wise. Especially at my age.

I’m curious to see how the season shakes out for CrossFit with their new format. It is giving a lot of opportunity to other athletes. Instead of just your usual suspects as in years past.

Don’t sell yourself short. I think you could prob do anything you put your mind to. But it would be a drastic change from what you’re used to. I’ve been adapting my fitness since my 30s. I think that’s just part of training. Although my serious CrossFit days are behind me I still work it in my programming.

I’ll be watching for your buddy.

Last edited by FlaPatsFan; 07-01-2019 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #813
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

http://thebarbellspin.com/functional...matic-fashion/

Congrats to your buddy!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #814
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Thanks!! That was close...and it couldn't have happened to a better person.

This guy is as humble as anyone you could ever meet. Always putting others before himself, and I have never seen him say a bad thing about anyone in the gym.

He's the type that looks for and brings out the best in anyone around him.