New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-01-2024, 08:08 PM   #23
SandMan88
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2008 328i Convertible

Garage List
2008 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe17 View Post
Ok Imma try and keep this as brief as I can. My e93 is a wonderful car, but has been a constant flow of money sucking issues since day one. I get it fixed and something else breaks in the worst way possible. And always includes the most expensive parts needed it seems. For example:

First issue 0-month of ownership 85k miles: Roof rattles like a metal bar is tapping against a hollow wood block [i've tried everything, now I just live with it], headlight on passenger side wobbles, fixed with a hidden piece of rubber trim I glued down below it.

First of the major issues 90K miles: Wheel hop, destroyed axle, slammed it into diff, broke diff cover casting, destroyed rear driveshaft joint, AND bent the rear subframe. All replaced with used but good, tested parts (new driveshaft though).

Second Major issue 110K miles: Valve cover gaskets leaking badly, control arms needed replacing. Alignment needed. saw images of the top end, looked SUPER healthy. Love to see it.

Around here a bomiz Race exhaust and bomiz valvetronic rear was put on the car, and Stage 2 tuned by AlpineMSS, Rad dude.

Third major issue 120K miles: Starter motor bad, and PCV valve bad, New battery installed. Replaced on my own (dear god this whole job sucked).

Upgraded Airfilter. Cuz why not? Its FCPEuro so next time its free. I'll get a good one.

Fourth major issue 130K miles: Alternator died, when it did it took out the very expensive FRM Module with it... for whatever reason.
At the same time I elected to get the rod bearings done and fix EVERYTHING since the front subframe needed to be dropped out anyway. So rod bearings, oil pan gasket, new (better) motor mounts (heat shielding on both sides). I also chose to do all new spark plugs. The shop did find other problems that got fixed: [oil filter housing cracked & leaking, bad subframe bushings].
Following this, another alignment needed.

Saw images of bottom end, SUPER healthy and happy engine. Only 1 pair rod bearing showing any copper and bearly. This engine should be SOLID.

Fifth major issue, Current day 149K miles: Cylinder 8 could take no more. Missing a big piece on the upper right corner of the piston, scored the block. Car needs a new engine.

Im currently above $11,000 into repairing this thing. Now It needs a new engine and that job is going to cost me anywhere from 8-18k depending on where I get it done and how.

Its a fully loaded manual M3 convertible, only option it doesn't have is the Electronic suspension. It's literally a dream spec M3 and I originally intended to keep this car as a daily driver and then keep it for many many years. Being that there's only a little over 1400 Manual e93s in the US/Canada and only about 13,000ish ever made, I figured the cost of repairs would be worth the trouble. But now... well...

What would you guys do? New engine? Is it worth it since EVERY other part of the drivetrain besides the transmission has been replaced? Would it be reliable after that?

OR should I throw in the towel, sell it broken, and just buy something with an LS in it that wont be such a damn problem child?
Can't lie, I was welling up with tears reading this as it was like I wrote it! I have a2008 e93 that is doing me the same way. It's just now at 140k miles so I was thinking of I do regular maintenance this N52 should kick another 5 years right? Nope. Got a crank. No start situation and parasitic drain got me replacing everything on it. I'm only 5k in mine so far but it does feel Neverending. There's something .about a machine that you've battled with isn't there.
Appreciate 0