New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #5501
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yep! It's all on the officer to articulate why the person is driving too slowly for the conditions.
C'mon, admit it. Those officers are only pulling over slow cars to sniff the driver's breath, since driving slow/cautious is a sign of a potentially-intoxicated driver. If they didn't give the officer lip or video the whole traffic stop incident to take to the officer's "boss," they probably would have been cut loose with a "have a nice day" if they sniffed clean.

Back in the 1980's during my college job days, the police in our small town used to hang out where I worked at night every weekend on a special grant-funded DWI patrol...watching cars drive through town where there were street lights. Driving with high beams on in a well-lit area was enough probable cause for a stop-and-sniff, and they arrested a few every weekend night.....
      03-10-2022, 09:35 PM   #5502
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
Yep! It's all on the officer to articulate why the person is driving too slowly for the conditions.
C'mon, admit it. Those officers are only pulling over slow cars to sniff the driver's breath, since driving slow/cautious is a sign of a potentially-intoxicated driver. If they didn't give the officer lip or video the whole traffic stop incident to take to the officer's "boss," they probably would have been cut loose with a "have a nice day" if they sniffed clean.

Back in the 1980's during my college job days, the police in our small town used to hang out where I worked at night every weekend on a special grant-funded DWI patrol...watching cars drive through town where there were street lights. Driving with high beams on in a well-lit area was enough probable cause for a stop-and-sniff, and they arrested a few every weekend night.....
Slow drivers aren't always potentially intoxicated. They are often texting while driving, elderly (…and need their licenses revoked/restricted), etc. The reasons vary, but it is an indication of a "problem."

As for the DUI task forces, I'm all for them. So many knuckleheads drive around intoxicated or high….or both. Stalking the clubs is an easy way to catch somebody before they kill someone.
Appreciate 2
scostu1623.00
vreihen1615280.00
      03-11-2022, 08:33 AM   #5503
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Slow drivers aren't always potentially intoxicated. They are often texting while driving, elderly (…and need their licenses revoked/restricted), etc. The reasons vary, but it is an indication of a "problem."

As for the DUI task forces, I'm all for them. So many knuckleheads drive around intoxicated or high….or both. Stalking the clubs is an easy way to catch somebody before they kill someone.
an old supervisor of mine used to drive stupid slow on the way to work. 40mph in a 55, accelerating so slow it would take a mile or more to get to highway speed. He finally got stopped by a trooper who asked him why he was driving so slow and his response was" I'm trying to save gas". He was then told he needs to change those driving habits because it causes frustration in other drivers and then they do something dangerous to try and get around you. Best part was, this supervisor once tried to be a trooper but was booted because of personality conflicts.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      03-11-2022, 08:58 AM   #5504
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

From Newport Beach: Motor officers observed a motorcyclist riding down PCH doing a wheelie. Not only was the rider issued a misdemeanor citation for exhibition of speed, but the motorcycle was also impounded. #30DayHold

Really?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      03-11-2022, 09:28 AM   #5505
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
From Newport Beach: Motor officers observed a motorcyclist riding down PCH doing a wheelie. Not only was the rider issued a misdemeanor citation for exhibition of speed, but the motorcycle was also impounded. #30DayHold

Really?
It's no different than doing burnouts at a light. Popping wheelies on public streets is illegal.
Appreciate 1
///d1820.00
      03-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #5506
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's no different than doing burnouts at a light. Popping wheelies on public streets is illegal.
I also feel theres a big difference between a wheel coming up at a light and riding one wheel down a highway. Both illegal, but a wheel coming up for a second and then being set back down is not nearly as dangerous as someone riding one wheel down the highway for long distances.

I will admit, watching some of the "stunting" is cool. but I hate seeing on the street. Keep it to the closed lots and shows.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      03-11-2022, 10:19 AM   #5507
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Last night's shenanigans.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      03-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #5508
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If only they had finished re-striping the road

Too soon
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #5509
shoei
Banned
Rep

Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
You attached the photo upside down.

I am thoroughly disappointed it's not a mustang or hellcat. Usually one or the other. Didn't think a Prius could pick up that much speed to flip.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      03-11-2022, 11:25 AM   #5510
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post

I am thoroughly disappointed it's not a mustang or hellcat. Usually one or the other. Didn't think a Prius could pick up that much speed to flip.
Off main topic, but I saw one of the new Mustang Mach-e in Steamboat Springs.

Such a shame what they turned the pony car into.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 11:41 AM   #5511
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Quote:

Off main topic, but I saw one of the new Mustang Mach-e in Steamboat Springs.

Such a shame what they turned the pony car into.
I just found this out the other day actually. It was never supposed to be a mustang. At the 11th hour, the powers that be at Ford were terrified the car wouldn't sell because "nobody would know what it is." So that's why they slapped some mustang badges and cues on the car. That's why it looks so hideous, is because it never was born to be a Mustang. They just took her to some alley way for some really quick and horrendous plastic surgery.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 01:06 PM   #5512
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Around here, yodel-brains ride wheelies past the police station on their crotch rockets all the time. Down in NYC, the local TV news shows packs of ATV/dirt bike riders pulling blocks-long wheelies on city streets and through public parks with no fear of the ramifications or police.

Quote:
This was well before cell phones. The town was so small that they couldn't afford a police night shift. That stop DWI state grant took some drunk drivers off the road, but more importantly kept a warm body in the patrol car seat in case of other law enforcement needs when the nearest State Trooper was 20+ minutes away.....
      03-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #5513
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I still remember: I was on my softtail, turning onto a straight rode. 2 other guys on c-rockets came up next to me. We politely nodded.

Light goes green, they creep thru the turn to a straight, then dude proceeds to pop up the front and rode that way for at least 1/2 mile.

Yeah, the front end of the softtail doesn't come up in the air. . .
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      03-11-2022, 02:44 PM   #5514
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Unsafe lane change plus impacting another vehicle coupled with decent forward momentum resulted in the rollover.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 02:51 PM   #5515
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unsafe lane change plus impacting another vehicle coupled with decent forward momentum resulted in the rollover.
Damn. Still, looks like a gen2 Prius. Those things are aerodynamic and low to the ground.

Almost like the driver was having their taint brushed while driving or something.

Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      03-11-2022, 02:55 PM   #5516
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Damn. Still, looks like a gen2 Prius. Those things are aerodynamic and low to the ground.

Almost like the driver was having their taint brushed while driving or something.

He wishes. Imagine rolling up to that on scene. Lol!
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      03-11-2022, 07:18 PM   #5517
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Speed isn't necessary for a rollover.

Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25113.50
Buug95917414.00
      03-12-2022, 02:14 AM   #5518
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post

Was anyone actually going to stop and help? Maybe they all thought the driver deserved to suffer, after being such an idiot
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      03-12-2022, 02:22 AM   #5519
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Quote:

Was anyone actually going to stop and help? Maybe they all thought the driver deserved to suffer, after being such an idiot
People rarely stop.
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      03-12-2022, 03:16 AM   #5520
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

People rarely stop.
Confirmed. One of the largest intersections here in LA - Westwood Blvd and Santa Monica Blvd. Anywhoos, long time ago I got taken out while on the bike and as I lay there making sure nothing was broken, people honked at me for my possibly death getting in their way to work, lol. Cars honked - 4. People stopped and helped - 0.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      03-12-2022, 03:44 AM   #5521
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

People rarely stop.
Confirmed. One of the largest intersections here in LA - Westwood Blvd and Santa Monica Blvd. Anywhoos, long time ago I got taken out while on the bike and as I lay there making sure nothing was broken, people honked at me for my possibly death getting in their way to work, lol. Cars honked - 4. People stopped and helped - 0.
It annoys me when I roll up to a scene and there are a dozen people recording, but not one of them attempted to help and/or render aid.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60090.50
shoei7779.00
vreihen1615280.00
      03-12-2022, 03:57 AM   #5522
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
It annoys me when I roll up to a scene and there are a dozen people recording, but not one of them attempted to help and/or render aid.
Looks to me like the driver passed out.
Appreciate 0