Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #23
grocerylist
Private First Class
146
Rep
175
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M235i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
If anything I would appreciate a massive market correction. I've heard speculation of a 50% loss and with 20 plus years of investing ahead of me, I'd like a nice firesale to take advantage of.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #24
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
SSW's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
832
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
All of my $ is in cash. Got out of the market years ago.

I receive more pension/trust income than I would every "earn" from the cash I have, if I continued to "invest" it. There's no risk of loss from market dysfunction and, since I've been out, the market has been essentially stagnant anyway.

So, I don't even pay attn to the "market" anymore.
__________________
2008 Black Sapphire 335i E90 Sport & Premium Pkgs - Cobb Stage 1+FMIC Sport map, Mishimoto FMIC & Alpina B3 AT Flash. See: My Build Thread.

Last edited by SSW; 09-18-2019 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #25
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
816
Rep
378
Posts

 
Drives: Miss Daisy
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
a correction is not a bubble.
I think you get my point.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #26
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
6948
Rep
10,549
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
a correction is not a bubble.
I think you get my point.
Not the same thing.
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #27
The Libertine
Captain
The Libertine's Avatar
United_States
707
Rep
865
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 BMW X5
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
If anything I would appreciate a massive market correction. I've heard speculation of a 50% loss and with 20 plus years of investing ahead of me, I'd like a nice firesale to take advantage of.
Same.
Appreciate 1
c1pher1868.00

      09-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #28
XutvJet
Brigadier General
2914
Rep
3,694
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
All of my $ is in cash. Got out of the market years ago.

I receive more pension/trust income than I would every "earn" from the cash I have, if I continued to "invest" it. There's no risk of loss from market dysfunction and, since I've been out, the market has been essentially stagnant anyway.

So, I don't even pay attn to the "market" anymore.
Stagnant??????? LOL. My investment accounts massively disagree over the past 7 years.
Appreciate 3
3798j2490.00
Hawkeye1295.00
FCobra942562.00

      09-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #29
Darth One
drunk poster
Darth One's Avatar
United_States
3765
Rep
2,817
Posts

 
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I think I might pull all my funds out to speculate on air cooled 911's
Appreciate 4
kscarrol3031.50
c1pher1868.00
FCobra942562.00

      09-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #30
AlpineWhite_SJ
Captain
AlpineWhite_SJ's Avatar
United_States
1221
Rep
833
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Retirement accounts still in low fee index funds but moved a bunch out of the market to fund a real estate transaction. Haven’t put it back in only because more liquid investments have given an equal to slightly higher return than current S&P over the same period (13mo or so). Can’t pretend to be able to time the market, but still looking to get back in on some discounts or a dip. Current news and length of the run not inspiring a lot of confidence at the moment.
__________________
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 12:33 AM   #31
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
384
Rep
433
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Russellville, AR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
All of my $ is in cash. Got out of the market years ago.

I receive more pension/trust income than I would every "earn" from the cash I have, if I continued to "invest" it. There's no risk of loss from market dysfunction and, since I've been out, the market has been essentially stagnant anyway.

So, I don't even pay attn to the "market" anymore.
Stagnant? I wouldn't call it stagnant. Maybe a little bumpy here lately, but not stagnant. Here is my 401k that is invested in a variety of mutual funds:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
FCobra942562.00

      09-21-2019, 06:58 AM   #32
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1868
Rep
2,663
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
All of my $ is in cash. Got out of the market years ago.

I receive more pension/trust income than I would every "earn" from the cash I have, if I continued to "invest" it. There's no risk of loss from market dysfunction and, since I've been out, the market has been essentially stagnant anyway.

So, I don't even pay attn to the "market" anymore.
I donít know what investments you have been looking at but but Iíve easily cleared double digit growth YoY for the past 5-6 years. While my portfolio is growing well, I know a correction will come at some point. I intend to buy more cheaply and have dividend reinvestment help me continue to increase my position as well.
Appreciate 1
FCobra942562.00

      09-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #33
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1868
Rep
2,663
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Retirement accounts still in low fee index funds but moved a bunch out of the market to fund a real estate transaction. Havenít put it back in only because more liquid investments have given an equal to slightly higher return than current S&P over the same period (13mo or so). Canít pretend to be able to time the market, but still looking to get back in on some discounts or a dip. Current news and length of the run not inspiring a lot of confidence at the moment.
Iíve been hearing correction for five years. These are people who just want to be able to say they said it first and say I told you so. No one knows whatís going to happen. If Iíve learned anything the past ten years, market speculation is much less evaluation of a true company worth but rather emotions. Look what happens when Trump sends a simple tweet. The market dives or climbs based on 140 words of jibberish that truly have no bearing the the market. You could argue his statements on tariffs and negotiating with China may be insightful but honestly most of them have turned out to be nothing burgers. I would he would just shut up and it makes me think he is playing the market for his own benefit knowing how it will react and buying/selling/shorting accordingly.
Appreciate 3
vreihen162203.50
FCobra942562.00

      09-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #34
ASAP
Stargazing
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
3289
Rep
4,756
Posts

 
Drives: M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vice City

iTrader: (0)

all i am going to say is that we are breaking records for bull markets... lowering interest rates in an environment of this sort is effectively band aiding or trying to pro long it... it goes against all economic reason... something HAS to happen or every economic law will be violated
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #35
e90335e36m3
Second Lieutenant
267
Rep
269
Posts

 
Drives: 19 M4CS; 11 M3; 14 Sonic
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Other than the 401K I have with my employer and some real estate investments, I pulled everything I have from the markets into 12 month CDs. I was able to capitalize during the 2008 recession. For the coming 12 months, I won't be earning much interest, maybe slightly coming out ahead against inflation, but I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #36
AlpineWhite_SJ
Captain
AlpineWhite_SJ's Avatar
United_States
1221
Rep
833
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Iíve been hearing correction for five years. These are people who just want to be able to say they said it first and say I told you so. No one knows whatís going to happen. If Iíve learned anything the past ten years, market speculation is much less evaluation of a true company worth but rather emotions. Look what happens when Trump sends a simple tweet. The market dives or climbs based on 140 words of jibberish that truly have no bearing the the market. You could argue his statements on tariffs and negotiating with China may be insightful but honestly most of them have turned out to be nothing burgers. I would he would just shut up and it makes me think he is playing the market for his own benefit knowing how it will react and buying/selling/shorting accordingly.
Donít disagree with the speculation bit, and if I was in with that chunk of money I probably wouldnít be pulling it out. Like I said, it was just random chance I pulled it for other reasons and given it was last July/Aug and the market hasnít risen all that significantly compared to then, there hasnít been a compelling reason to put it back in. Money market over the same period is pretty close with way less risk. Given the length of the run, trade issues, growth indicators pointing to slowing, its more about real data than some punditís prediction. If earnings season shows strength, Iíd consider putting more back in, but if not iíll be well positioned to pick things up at a relative discount. Still all in for retirement so itís basically a hedge.
__________________
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #37
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
6948
Rep
10,549
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

how old are you guys that are panicking over typical market volatility? are you about to retire?
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 1
FCobra942562.00

      09-23-2019, 05:54 AM   #38
2000cs
Captain
1484
Rep
845
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
how old are you guys that are panicking over typical market volatility? are you about to retire?
Close to retirement, but hoping to live much longer so staying in for the long haul. Still buying on the dips.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef6947.50

      09-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #39
corn18
Lieutenant
corn18's Avatar
1254
Rep
585
Posts

 
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: SW OH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Meet Bob, the world's worst market timer. It's time in the market, not market timing.

https://prosperion.us/commentary/mee...-market-timer/
Appreciate 2
roastbeef6947.50
FCobra942562.00

      09-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #40
e90335e36m3
Second Lieutenant
267
Rep
269
Posts

 
Drives: 19 M4CS; 11 M3; 14 Sonic
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
how old are you guys that are panicking over typical market volatility? are you about to retire?
I am 33. I wouldn't say panicking, just ensuring that I have liquidity in the event of a significant market correction.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #41
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
1677
Rep
1,749
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Saint Louis

iTrader: (0)

Itís a proven fact that market timing rarely works out better than a buy/hold strategy. The only reason someone should be going to cash is if they have an upcoming liquidity event (aka, forced distributions or spending needs). Otherwise, itís just emotion driving the decision, not discipline.
Appreciate 2
2000cs1483.50
FCobra942562.00

      09-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #42
XutvJet
Brigadier General
2914
Rep
3,694
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
how old are you guys that are panicking over typical market volatility? are you about to retire?
45 here. Hope to retire or partially retire in my early 50s.

i'm currently invested heavily in S&P 500 index funds, Berkshire Class B, bond funds, and a few others. My portfolio closely follows market performance. My portfolio has grown significantly in the past 6 years, especially after getting rid of my broker and the high cost funds he had me in.

I haven't and won't be selling or moving anything. Market timing doesn't work and is shear luck. I will weather the upcoming correction, bubble, whatever just like I have for the past 25 years. I lost ~40% of my portfolio's value back in 2008-2010. I recovered all of it plus a crap ton more. Same goes for every other correction we've had since about 1995.

Time in the market and Warren Buffett's "15-minute retirement plan". That's all you need to know.
__________________
The forest was shrinking, but the Trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the Trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.
Appreciate 4
Rmtt7974.00
roastbeef6947.50
FCobra942562.00

      09-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #43
Rmtt
Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
7974
Rep
2,196
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
45 here. Hope to retire or partially retire in my early 50s.

i'm currently invested heavily in S&P 500 index funds, Berkshire Class B, bond funds, and a few others. My portfolio closely follows market performance. My portfolio has grown significantly in the past 6 years, especially after getting rid of my broker and the high cost funds he had me in.

I haven't and won't be selling or moving anything. Market timing doesn't work and is shear luck. I will weather the upcoming correction, bubble, whatever just like I have for the past 25 years. I lost ~40% of my portfolio's value back in 2008-2010. I recovered all of it plus a crap ton more. Same goes for every other correction we've had since about 1995.

Time in the market and Warren Buffett's "15-minute retirement plan". That's all you need to know.
You and I are the same age and pretty much have the same thoughts and investments going on. I do keep a fair amount of cash available. It's not earning me much, but I keep about 18 months of living expenses as an emergency fund.

But I think it's more of an impact of how I grew up in an environment where if my parents even had to replace tires on their car.....it would put them in a financial bind. I will admit I'm OCD about it, but the peace of mind it does give me pays off more than if I had it tied up and not easily attainable.
__________________
Everybody has a gameplan....until they get punched in the mouth.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #44
XutvJet
Brigadier General
2914
Rep
3,694
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Agreed with all of that. I too am diligent about having an adequate supply of cash for expenses (about a year) plus I have a cash reserve which is my "war chest" where if the market goes in the tank, I'm buying solid investments at a low price.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST