New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-24-2023, 08:44 AM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Organ Meat

Anyone versed in diet and nutrition know if there is any benefit to eating this beef liver/heart?

I've introduced beef liver into my diet, but the heart is still in my fridge

Need to soak the liver in lime juice or milk I hear its better that way, haven't tried that yet.

Looking for any input on recipes, preparation tips..

According to healthline.com:

Organ Meats Are Highly Nutritious

In fact, most are more nutrient-dense than muscle meat. They are particularly rich in B-vitamins, such as vitamin B12 and folate. They are also rich in minerals, including iron, magnesium, selenium and zinc, and important fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E and

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 09:06 AM   #2
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep

Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Maybe just rewatch Hannibal series of movies and pay close attention when he's cooking / what's out on the table. Should provide some ideas.
Appreciate 4
      02-24-2023, 12:35 PM   #3
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

I typically only use them in gravies but here are a couple French recipes from a Claiborne and Franey cookbook that has never let me down
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
dradernh4179.00
      02-24-2023, 12:57 PM   #4
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

My mom used to make a soffrito with cow heart and lung (when lung was available). The heart is pretty tricky to cut up to get it tender. She would saute the meat in a pan and add onions and garlic with tomato sauce and let it simmer for quite a while, made a delicios sandwich on a Italian hard roll.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 01:01 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

I miss chopped liver but calf liver is very hard if not impossible to find where I am.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 01:01 PM   #6
gabriel.psd
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F80 AW 6MT

Garage List
2004 330ci  [0.00]
Liver marinated in coconut milk with salt/pepper is very delicious. My grandma made it like that in the farm. Not sure about the beef heart, but I'll eat 100 chicken hearts or more if they are available. So delicious grilled with some chopped garlic and salt.

Appreciate 2
TboneS54989.50
      02-24-2023, 02:24 PM   #7
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

I no longer eat blood organs, after reading about Marburg, Ebola and prions.

When I was poor I ate chicken livers (protein and iron) and Kraft Mac and cheese (volume). Mac and Cheese was 10/$1 on sale, so I could stretch a buck that way.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2023, 03:40 PM   #8
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

forgot to add I bought some duck breasts from my butcher last week and as a bonus he threw in a nice pack of duck livers for free to try. Usually soak in buttermilk but might try the coconut milk mentioned above.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 08:02 PM   #9
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I no longer eat blood organs, after reading about Marburg, Ebola and prions.

When I was poor I ate chicken livers (protein and iron) and Kraft Mac and cheese (volume). Mac and Cheese was 10/$1 on sale, so I could stretch a buck that way.
I was always grossed out by the regular Kraft Mac & Cheese.

With that said, I love the Deluxe version (liquid cheese)
Appreciate 2
2000cs3447.00
      02-24-2023, 08:33 PM   #10
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 718 GT4

I would say that organ meat breaks down into the macronutrients its' comprised of. There is no magic of the carbs, proteins, or fats that come from an organ meat vs conventional meat (muscle).

However, if the organ meat is leaner, then of course it'll be healthier than consuming a rib eye with pure fat.

At the end of the day, there is no magic potion of food. It comes down to eating more veggies than land animals, moderation in portion, avoidance of smoking, and cardiovascular exercise to stay healthy as possible. There is usually enough vitamins, essential amino acids, and minerals in an American diet to forgo a lot of the vitamin supplements and etc.

You can do all of the above, but always know that the almighty genetics will have more of an impact factor than anything else.
Appreciate 2
kscarrol8775.50
      02-25-2023, 05:06 AM   #11
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
I typically only use them in gravies but here are a couple French recipes from a Claiborne and Franey cookbook that has never let me down
This is very helpful, thank you! Will be using bacon fat from now on as well as flour and the rest of these tips.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2023, 06:55 AM   #12
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
I would say that organ meat breaks down into the macronutrients its' comprised of. There is no magic of the carbs, proteins, or fats that come from an organ meat vs conventional meat (muscle).

However, if the organ meat is leaner, then of course it'll be healthier than consuming a rib eye with pure fat.

At the end of the day, there is no magic potion of food. It comes down to eating more veggies than land animals, moderation in portion, avoidance of smoking, and cardiovascular exercise to stay healthy as possible. There is usually enough vitamins, essential amino acids, and minerals in an American diet to forgo a lot of the vitamin supplements and etc.

You can do all of the above, but always know that the almighty genetics will have more of an impact factor than anything else.

Yes and no.

Everyones body is different and responds to different foods differently.

As a long time weightlifter and athlete, I am always looking for the edge, especially now that I am 43.

Instead of "no vitamins" I much prefer "occasional vitamins" that I will drop right into my morning smoothie.

Anyway, I have great genetics, thank you God, and my genes are thankful I feed myself fresh fruits and veggies every morning, and have 1 portion of meat per day, for me this feels optimal based on the amount of working out that I do.

Not arguing with most of what you've said, just adding my personal experiences.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 11:25 AM   #13
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Maybe just rewatch Hannibal series of movies and pay close attention when he's cooking / what's out on the table. Should provide some ideas.
Don't forget the fava beans and Chianti.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15563.00
      02-25-2023, 01:11 PM   #14
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 04:29 PM   #15
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcoil View Post
I miss chopped liver but calf liver is very hard if not impossible to find where I am.
Dad loved liver and onions while I was growing up. I thought it was, well, okay - it was that or nothing that evening. And I seem that the odor was quite strong while being cooked. Liver used to be cheap, but not sure now.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 04:33 PM   #16
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M235i, 20k miles

All in the Family

I remember when Edith offered Archie Tripe for dinner.

Archie: "I ain't eatin' nothing that comes out of no cow's mouth. Fry me a couple of eggs."

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      02-25-2023, 05:55 PM   #17
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Ever have a chicken heart taco? They are quite good.
      02-25-2023, 07:12 PM   #18
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Liver used to be cheap, but not sure now.
Still cheap

https://wildforkfoods.com/products/beef-liver

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 03:21 AM   #19
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW M6

Organ meat should only be eaten once or twice a week IMO because it has higher levels of non-desirable metals like lead, cadmium, and nickel when compared to muscle meat. One study showed that muscle meat (not organ meat) was 6 times more likely to be contaminated than plants. Organ meat is even more contaminated.

With that said, most people do need minerals that are in organ meat, like lithium, chromium, boron, etc. Most are in higher quantities in organ meat than in muscle meat.
2018 M6 Gran Coupe> DME Stage 2 ECU Remap>Xpress Power Catless Downpipes>Resonator Delete> KW Height Adjustable Springs>Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser>Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler>Carbon Fiber Mirrors>IND Painted Front Grille> IND Painted Front Reflector>JR-34 Gunmetal Wheels, 20mm Spacer on rear, 10mm Spacer on front>RK Autowerks Carbon Air Intake>Racing Dynamics Carbon Engine Cover>Carbon Steering Wheel
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 03:56 AM   #20
2023G87M2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: F87

When I was in China near yulin, I participated in thr annual dog and cat meat festival. I must day dog is delicious. Everyone should try it before they judge. There's too many stray dogs there anyway. Dog tastes waaay better than cow, chicken, or pork, and cat liver is just the best
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2023, 07:49 AM   #21
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023G87M2 View Post
When I was in China near yulin, I participated in thr annual dog and cat meat festival. I must day dog is delicious. Everyone should try it before they judge. There's too many stray dogs there anyway. Dog tastes waaay better than cow, chicken, or pork, and cat liver is just the best
No, some things I know are wrong without trying them. Would you say the same things about cannibalism or pedophilia? You do know that there is a multi-national movement in Asia that is trying to gain ground to abolish this disgusting and immoral practice, right?
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      03-01-2023, 02:05 PM   #22
2023G87M2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
No, some things I know are wrong without trying them. Would you say the same things about cannibalism or pedophilia? You do know that there is a multi-national movement in Asia that is trying to gain ground to abolish this disgusting and immoral practice, right?
There are movements all over the world that want all animal exploitation to end including cows, pigs, chicken, fish, etc. It's a slippery slope. If you somehow stop people eating dogs and cats in China and then post about how you stopped that practice from a local KFC in China at the same time, it would encourage the vegans to stop all animal exploitation around the world. You wouldn't want those pesky vegans to win would you?
Appreciate 0