New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-02-2023, 06:39 AM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Chiropractors

I've never heard a definitive answer as to whether or not being "adjusted" like this is healthy or even good or not.

I've had reflexology done before and it was amazing, that's where they stretch you around, essentially, but they aren't adjusting you.

So can what exactly is the bottom line?

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/L9n-oF7seU4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 06:49 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

I like this guys bank of videos:
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2023, 08:01 AM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

I’m not sure there is a “bottom line” or definitive answer. I know people who swear by their Chiropractor, and only a few who have been disappointed. I’ve known a few MDs that recommend/refer Chiropractors.

I also know a lot of MDs that are very anti-chiropractor. Some of that is professional bias (MD vs non-MD), and some is a selection bias. If you have a good chiro experience, you won’t be going to the MD; if you have a bad experience, the MD has more work to do and will feel the chiro did some damage. So the MD only sees the bad outcomes, which biases their opinion of all chiro (same with ER docs and motorcycles, snowboards, etc).

Clearly there are some bad chiros, and some bad MDs. Probably shouldn’t judge the entire field by the exceptions.
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13342.00
Tommy-G4475.50
      02-02-2023, 08:34 AM   #4
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Got it - that makes sense - so a good chiropractor is helping someone by adjusting them, if they have an actual issue.

But what about for general tightness? I see videos of wealthy individuals, namely athletes being adjusted by the best chiro's (I assume) because they are really tight... similar to bodybuilders I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 08:35 AM   #5
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Chiro has worked wonders for me so I'm a complete believer. That said, there are 100% some shitty chiropractors out there who give the profession a bad name. Just like there's shitty MDs, dentists, etc.

Chiro is not a magic bullet that gets you out of doing the work though. I think that's where people get going in the wrong direction. They think they can get a couple quick adjustments and all their life's problems go out the window. Or, they get roped in with a chiropractor who convinces you he's the only person you need to see and you need to come back one a week for the rest of your life.

Chiro needs to be viewed as a tool in the toolbox. You wouldn't try to repair your car with only a screwdriver so dont try to fix your body mechanics issues with just chiropractics. When combined with other modalities like PT, massage, acupuncture, lifestyle changes, etc. it can be an amazing tool.
Appreciate 6
shimmy232341.00
2000cs3489.00
nerdogray1280.00
      02-02-2023, 08:38 AM   #6
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i

If you get a good one, a physical therapist may be more effective than a chiropractor.
- chiropractors “fix” problems by making adjustments, and you often get immediate relief . However, you also usually have to go back periodically for another adjustment.
- physical therapists analyze your problem and try to identify the source (bad body mechanics, injury, etc.). Then they identify exercises and stretches that are targeted on the source problem. It may take time, but often they can make the ailment effectively go away. And if you continue to do your exercises, and/or correct your body mechanics, you may never need another visit to the therapist.
Appreciate 5
Maynard3830.00
UncleWede17938.50
nerdogray1280.00
Oldgixxer1859.00
      02-02-2023, 08:48 AM   #7
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2024 M2

I go to my chiropractor once a month for maintenance. I find it helpful to stay loose and mobile. It doesn't hurt that the place has many college student interns (lucky me they are always female) that come in before the Dr and warm you up with a massage......

But....the chiro is only a small part of what I do to stay loose and mobile. I stretch several times a week, do mobility workouts, and try not to let things tighten up. I originally started going to the chiro when I threw my lower back out and have been going once a month ever since.

Someone else mentioned physical therapy and I do feel that can be more effective as it really focuses on mobility. Just keep moving and back and other issues can be minimized. Typically tight hips and hamstrings are the main reasons for back pain of lack of mobility.
UncleWede17938.50
nerdogray1280.00
      02-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

Bc2005 has said it better than I could above; start with a medical workup (or clearance, if you are just feeling kind of tight but w/o real symptoms). Specific strengthening and stretching exercises usually look lame compared to 'real exercises' but they can really do wonders. And your cat will appreciate how stupid you look on the floor trying to swim or fly.

Don't EVER go to a chiropractor (or a PT for that matter) who hasn't seen your films. I know this from my time working in PM&R/spinal cord injury (yes, you really can make it MUCH worse with an ill-advised manipulation). And don't let your buddy 'crack your back' for the same reason.
Appreciate 2
JMcLellan1995.00
      02-02-2023, 12:40 PM   #9
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Chiros exist to increase personal injury case values
and to look down girl's shirts...
Appreciate 2
overcoil3072.50
DM5PAV375.00
      02-02-2023, 01:53 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I think if one has something chronic they may do wonders. Knock wood I never had any joint issues so it won't do anything for me.

I know it's rare but those few cases where they screw up could lead to something srs, and I wonder if that happens because the chiro screwed up or the patient got too tense or a combo?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 02:44 PM   #11
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep

Drives: nothing fast

I never had much luck with chiropractors but,I have a degenerative spine condition and other things going on back there. When I 1st started having back pain in my early 20s my condition was in the very early stages and wasn't yet diagnosed and getting adjustments really helped.
Eventually seeing the chiro became ineffective and caused more pain/issues and thats when I was diagnosed and moved forward with an top notch spine surgeon.
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 03:25 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Chiros exist to increase personal injury case values
and to look down girl's shirts...
speaking of chiropractors this story just came out today.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/two-f...e-fraud-scheme
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2023, 03:50 PM   #13
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
speaking of chiropractors this story just came out today.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/two-f...e-fraud-scheme
tip of the iceberg as you know...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 07:37 PM   #14
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M240i

There can be issues. For example, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6016850/.

In the late 70s and early 80s, I'd seen chiropractors many, many times before a PT I was seeing in the 2010s for a neck issue suggested I consider seeing a chiropractor.

She warned me about the issue in the above piece and said to find a chiropractor who would use a mechanical impulse device on my neck in place of the conventional manipulation. What she said was sobering: given certain pre-existing conditions out of the control of the chiropractor, patient death can occur as the result of a neck manipulation.

Before going to a chiropractor, I asked my internist about this. He confirmed what the PT had said to me. Yikes! As a result, I skipped going to a chiropractor, mostly because the PT's last work on me solved my issue.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3072.50
      02-03-2023, 08:44 AM   #15
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3CX

Went once in high school, and experienced no real relief. Went again about 2 months ago. Damn witch doctor nearly broke my neck and it took a month to recover. I’m sticking with my hot tub for the rest of my days.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43172.00
      02-03-2023, 09:29 AM   #16
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3

I don't know about chiropractors, but I dated a physical therapist. She did adjustments too. She changed my life, I had back pain from 2009-2021 after doing 150 mile bike ride. Pain ranged from immobilizing me completely to an ever present dull, aching pain. After I would wash my car I could barely stand the next morning. Today, no pain at all. It took all of 3 sessions. She has a doctorate in PT, which is a lot of schooling.
Doctors told me I had disc narrowing, so on and so forth. The PT fixed me and it appears to be for good.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2023, 10:05 AM   #17
DocOfTheDead
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2023 M4 6MT

Garage List
You should try and find a DO physician who specializes in osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM). I’ve had both chiropractic and OMM treatments before and the OMM sessions have been orders of magnitude better. They’re all fully licensed physicians on top of the manipulative training. I had several classmates that did a fellowship in it and went on to do sports medicine or PM&R.

I’ve noted (through friends and family) chiropractors who have independent clinics with imaging often have better patient satisfaction than the ones that work in the $XX/month membership walk in clinics.

As someone who trained in OMM but doesn’t practice it, I will say some of the videos on YouTube of these whacky DC adjustments are bizarre. Vertebral artery dissections are real, and they’re a lethal injury. I’d never go to someone who didn’t image and then just use their hands.
Appreciate 2
iminhell13914.50
      02-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #18
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008M36MT View Post
I don't know about chiropractors, but I dated a physical therapist. She did adjustments too. She changed my life, I had back pain from 2009-2021 after doing 150 mile bike ride. Pain ranged from immobilizing me completely to an ever present dull, aching pain. After I would wash my car I could barely stand the next morning. Today, no pain at all. It took all of 3 sessions. She has a doctorate in PT, which is a lot of schooling.
Doctors told me I had disc narrowing, so on and so forth. The PT fixed me and it appears to be for good.
PT is legit. If you have a PT or nurse as a wife you're winning.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2023, 03:24 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Chiropractics can work, but it's not a magic bullet in most cases. As with all health matters, you should try and figure out the root cause and attack it from various angles. It will take work/effort/time on the patient's part. Tightness and such can often be remedied with routine stretching (20 minutes, 3-4 times a week), light strength training, weight loss/diet, chiropractics, massage, etc.
Appreciate 2
chassis6479.00
      02-28-2023, 10:30 AM   #20
charlesterrybge
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOfTheDead View Post
You should try and find a DO physician who specializes in osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM). I’ve had both chiropractic and OMM treatments before and the OMM sessions have been orders of magnitude better. They’re all fully licensed physicians on top of the manipulative training. I had several classmates that did a fellowship in it and went on to do sports medicine or PM&R.

I’ve noted (through friends and family) chiropractors who have independent clinics with imaging often have better patient satisfaction than the ones that work in the $XX/month membership walk in clinics.

As someone who trained in OMM but doesn’t practice it, I will say some of the videos on YouTube of these whacky DC adjustments are bizarre. Vertebral artery dissections are real, and they’re a lethal injury. I’d never go to someone who didn’t image and then just use their hands.
It's important to take care of your body and listen to what it needs. Regular chiropractic visits or physical therapy can be helpful for maintaining mobility and preventing injuries, but it's also important to do your own stretching and mobility exercises. Don't wait until you're in pain to take action - incorporate these habits into your routine to prevent future issues. And remember, it's never too late to start taking care of your body.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #21
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

I say good to go, if you can find a good genuine caring chiropractor who can target the root cause of health issues, though hard to find.

Having a chiropractor is just one component/tool to get back to 100% health from health issue(s). The rest of the healing process is dependent on the patient having good habits and a healthy lifestyle.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2023, 12:53 PM   #22
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Chiropractics can work, but it's not a magic bullet in most cases. As with all health matters, you should try and figure out the root cause and attack it from various angles. It will take work/effort/time on the patient's part. Tightness and such can often be remedied with routine stretching (20 minutes, 3-4 times a week), light strength training, weight loss/diet, chiropractics, massage, etc.
^this^
Appreciate 0