New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-05-2023, 09:34 AM   #1
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Falling asleep routine

So, I have severe sleep apnea but that's not the actual issue in my query.
What is your ritual for falling asleep?
-Do you count sheep?
-Do you meditate?
-Do you diddle your significant other?

Usually I have no problem falling asleep at 10pm every night but the past 2-3 weeks I lay down and then just cant fall sleep. I try not to think about work, I never play on my phone at bedtime and I always have some soothing sounds going quietly next to the bed
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 09:57 AM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

I usually listen to audiobooks and/or meditate with Headspace. They have sleep sessions.

When I’m not able to fall asleep, it’s because I’m anxious or worried about something. I use sleeping piano or guitar on Spotify sometimes. Not sure if it helps. The best way I’ve found is to not think about anything at all. Even thinking that you’re re thinking is still thinking. Catch yourself thinking and clear your mind.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-05-2023, 10:08 AM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2024 M2

Some nights I have a little THC, either gummy or seltzer, to calm down and prepare for sleeping if I'm having trouble. On days where I get some really good exercise in I experience more ease in falling asleep. Not having alcohol also helps to sleep longer-- the nights I drink I tend to wake up at 3/4am and struggle to get back to sleep again.
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-05-2023, 10:14 AM   #4
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I'm usually on my phone, but the second I sense a hint of sleepiness I'll put it away and go to sleep.

It helps that I wake up early even on weekends. Also a consistent exercise routine is really helpful.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-05-2023, 10:21 AM   #5
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I also have sleep apnea and I usually go to sleep late like 2am. I can't even say I'm sleepy when I go to sleep, I just have to cut it off at some point so around 2 am I go to sleep. I don't usually have issues falling asleep, however I keep some earbuds on my nightstand and I pop one in once in bed and listen to podcasts. I like stuff that is somewhat interesting, but not so interesting that it makes me want to stay awake to listen or get pissed off when I missed half because I fell asleep.

Before I started doing this my mind would just go crazy thinking about anything and everything. I find the podcasts help my mind focus and helps me fall asleep. I still have the occasional night where I don't fall asleep immediately.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-05-2023, 10:36 AM   #6
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

I have a little apnea so rarely sleep on my back (unless propped up). Makes me snore and uncomfortable.

I fall asleep pretty quickly unless something is really on my mind. When I traveled for work (a lot!) I made a point of trying to fall asleep before the wheels were up on every flight, even the short ones. Settle in, close my eyes, tune out the world and get some Zs. I think that has helped me sleep anywhere, any time, light or dark, quiet or noisy. But it took years to get good at it.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-05-2023, 10:38 AM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

I usually go to sleep about 1am. I take a sleeping pill every night (temazepam) and watch a little TV before going to bed. I fall asleep right away and wake up once or twice to go to the bathroom.
      01-05-2023, 10:46 AM   #8
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3

I have GAD that's pretty severe, the only thing that works is 10mg Ambien and even that doesn't 15-20% of the time.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-05-2023, 10:50 AM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Sleep is so much more important than most humans comprehend. Especially that "quality deep sleep" that occurs for only 2 hours or so right before you have to get up.
No TV in my bedroom ever!
By admission, I have difficulty staying asleep, uninterrupted for more than 4 hours. As such, I supplement with Melatonin 3 nights a week.
It definitely helps me.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-05-2023, 10:51 AM   #10
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Me and my wife have a bit of a weird routine. We have 2 couches in the main room with the big TV and we fall asleep watching it every night, then get up at 1 or 2 am and go to bed.

I don't have an issue getting to sleep, but the few times I have in the past I found that it was because there was just too much going around in my head. The trick to that is to concentrate on one thing, usually your breathing, counting your inhales and exhales in seconds.

My sleep score is fair to get mostly, but I feel like I toss and turn more than I should. It's rare that I go to sleep and wake up like, what happened there? I'm waking up several times a night to turn over, usually because I'm hot or cold, but because of thoughts a well, hard to shut my brain off.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4467.00
2000cs3447.00
      01-05-2023, 10:54 AM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008M36MT View Post
I have GAD that's pretty severe, the only thing that works is 10mg Ambien and even that doesn't 15-20% of the time.
Had to look that up. Sounds like a bummer. Do you get any kind of treatment for it. Counseling, medication?
      01-05-2023, 12:03 PM   #12
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

I see a lot of bad habits on this thread then it comes to sleep. Not only do I treat people with OSA, whether it's very mild, OHI=5, or very severe OHI=75+, I usually have to review sleep habits before starting treatment with my patients. No electronics in the bedroom, not even TV. No alcohol within three hours of bedtime. Very dark and cold, around 65-68 degrees in room. Comfortable pillows and bed. Try to sleep on your left side. It helps your organs to not become compressed, and it prevents acid reflux which I'm sure many here have.

I use those bamboo pillows and love them. I used to need three of four to support my head, but now I only need one bamboo pillow and it also stays cold. Sleep latency time should be around 12-20min to fall asleep. Much shorter time means you probably have excessive daytime sleepiness, too long means you may be too connected with electronics. I'm sure most of you have had a sleep study and if you want me to give my opinion on it I'd be happy to do so.

I have been very successful treating OSA patients with custom oral appliance. I am one of two dentists who have a sonar/ultrasound machine to evaluate the nasal and oral airway. I use it to establish the ideal treatment position of the lower jaw and tongue. Then I dial in the position to remove any snoring. In most of my cases I am able to increase the airway efficiency by 190% or greater. My best to date has been a 655% increase in air flow.

Sleep dreams.
Tommy-G4467.00
2000cs3447.00
rebekahb3128.50
      01-05-2023, 12:05 PM   #13
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Me and my wife have a bit of a weird routine. We have 2 couches in the main room with the big TV and we fall asleep watching it every night, then get up at 1 or 2 am and go to bed.

I don't have an issue getting to sleep, but the few times I have in the past I found that it was because there was just too much going around in my head. The trick to that is to concentrate on one thing, usually your breathing, counting your inhales and exhales in seconds.

My sleep score is fair to get mostly, but I feel like I toss and turn more than I should. It's rare that I go to sleep and wake up like, what happened there? I'm waking up several times a night to turn over, usually because I'm hot or cold, but because of thoughts a well, hard to shut my brain off.
Try the Natrol 10mg dissolving Melatonin. I too couldn't shut off my brain. I tried a dozen different Melatonin brands and the Natrol worked the best for me. Costco will usually have them on sale for a great price.
///MPhatic13538.50
      01-05-2023, 12:12 PM   #14
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Drink a bunch, smoke a bunch, eat and then fall asleep watching media. Works every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 12:15 PM   #15
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
+1 on the no electronics.

I used to be really bad about watching youtube on my phone for hours before falling asleep. Now I'll read for a few minutes, and take a melatonin gummy if I feel wired. It also helps to be consistent about going to sleep around the same time.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
DocL1922.50
      01-05-2023, 12:46 PM   #16
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I tend to fall asleep fairly quickly while thinking about today's accomplishments and tomorrow's goals/plans. Since I'm retired, that usually boils down to chores around the house/yard and hobbies. I also might reflect on the current book I'm reading, hoping to retain something (I've read over 30 books since Covid began).

As to adequate sleep, I bought a Fitbit 5 and was a bit surprised to see that I wasn't getting enough sleep, usually hitting the "fair" area. I get up early, so I go to bed early.

Also, I take Advil PM once or twice a month when my shoulders are acting up. This works well for me.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 01:32 PM   #17
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm challenged that my wife can't fall asleep without TV.

I crawl in, try to be in bed every weeknight by 9:30. Read for a bit, make sure it's chilly in the room (62 is my target) then snuggle in and I'm asleep.

Now, staying there is a whole 'nuther thing. I often wake at midnight and again at 2:30, with my brain on fire with things I shoulda/coulda/woulda. I have a hat with the LED in the brim. Get that on, read a few more pages until I'm dozing agin, then back into the dreams.
      01-05-2023, 01:36 PM   #18
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

DocL hit most of the basics. I would add another important one: when you can't sleep, get up into a lounge chair or someplace besides bed to do the tossing and turning (it can even be a guest bed - key issue is that it isn't your main sleeping spot). When/if you feel sleepy try going back to bed - if not falling asleep rapidly then go back to the chair. The negative conditioning (associating the bed with that anxious frustrated head******* can turn a short term issue into a long term pattern. While out of bed, don't start anything that you would want to stay up for (good=pets, solitaire, old favorite movies; bad=social media, action games, movies you havent' seen yet and want to get thru).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 01:37 PM   #19
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I usually listen to audiobooks and/or meditate with Headspace. They have sleep sessions.

When I’m not able to fall asleep, it’s because I’m anxious or worried about something. I use sleeping piano or guitar on Spotify sometimes. .
Definetly going to look into those, I have been using "Nature Sound" app for probably 10 years or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Some nights I have a little THC, either gummy or seltzer,
I would like to try these also, I just dont know where to get them (Noobie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I also have sleep apnea and I usually go to sleep late like 2am. I keep some earbuds on my nightstand and I pop one in once in bed and listen to podcasts..
I'm going to try this. Was always kinda nervous about falling asleep with them in but I have no logical reason why

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
No TV in my bedroom ever!
Me either

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I wouldnt be opposed to this, but the getting up part I may need to scratch that off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I have been very successful treating OSA patients with custom oral appliance. I am one of two dentists who have a sonar/ultrasound machine to evaluate the nasal and oral airway. I use it to establish the ideal treatment position of the lower jaw and tongue. Then I dial in the position to remove any snoring. In most of my cases I am able to increase the airway efficiency by 190% or greater. My best to date has been a 655% increase in air flow.

Sleep dreams.
I wish you were closer b/c ideally I would prefer an oral device over Cpap, surgery or no action at all
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 01:43 PM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
I'm going to try this. Was always kinda nervous about falling asleep with them in but I have no logical reason why
I sleep on my right side so I always put one in my left ear. I use some super cheap ones I bought for like $10 because when I used my airpods I would constantly lose them or my dogs would get them when they fall out and eat them. Also I put it very loose on my ear. I don't wear it like I would if I was awake and doing stuff. Once I started doing that no issues. It always falls out of my ear at some point in the night. You don't want it to stay in your ear because if you sleep on your side at all you will wake up with a sore ear.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-05-2023, 04:31 PM   #21
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

I’ve been using this technique since I was first taught it:

https://youtu.be/FWGuy4oOQgQ

Once in a while I might take these. Wife bought them from Target:

https://www.target.com/p/olly-extra-...t/-/A-81804780

There are plenty of other melatonin supplements out there which are decent.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 04:41 PM   #22
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep

Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
I am going to guess and say you need to be more active during the day and burn more calories via exercise. Could be wrong, but that's often what I see, sedentary people can't fall asleep.

Second, stop drinking coffee, even in the mornings. Try it for 1 month. Cut caffeine totally.

Third, don't eat dinner or even a snack after 6pm. Sounds crazy but eating at 8 or 9 and trying to go to sleep anytime before 1am just doesn't work. Your body will be processing food and your quality of sleep will be horrible, you will wake up to pee, fart, and poop. No thanks. In fact, eat less food in general since food is energy.

You might be surprised at how stupid and unreasonable this all sounds but in the end, it's fuel intake minus miles moved. Eat less and move more and cut the stimulants (coffee) and you won't have to worry about how to fall asleep, you will be trying to keep your eyes open while you brush your teeth at 9pm.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13284.00
JAI///M3528.00