New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Any Honda Grom / Kawasaki Z125 Riders Here?

Thinking about picking up a Grom or a Z125 for commuting to work. Anyone here have one?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
rcracin
Major
Rep

Drives: M3

Had a grom for about 6 months when it first came out. If you gotta do 50mph often, it's just too damn slow. Otherwise it would be cool.

I love my 1971 cb175 a hell of a lot more than the grom. Has the little extra torque and the compliments i get are nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

Man card revoked
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Had a grom for about 6 months when it first came out. If you gotta do 50mph often, it's just too damn slow. Otherwise it would be cool.

I love my 1971 cb175 a hell of a lot more than the grom. Has the little extra torque and the compliments i get are nice.
Nothing but arterial streets for me to get to work and back. No need to get on the freeway. I want something super cheap that's 100% reliable, where I do nothing but put a little gas in and go. I was surprised by how fun it was to ride. It's to motorcycles what a go-kart is to a car. Even in traffic you are still having fun.

Also want something super easy to handle that my wife can ride from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Man card revoked
Why? Because I want a small, fun to ride, cheap commuter that I don't give a sh*t about dropping, getting wet, dinged up, or vandalized while sitting 11 hours a day in a downtown Seattle parking garage? If that makes me less of a man in the eyes of some rando dude on a BMW forum, I'm totally cool with that.

BTW, heres one of my other bikes. Hand built, by me. Now can I have my man card back please or do I need to go shoot some guns and jack up my truck to prove my worthiness?

Appreciate 5
TMatt33.50
DSB335d1320.50
upstatedoc7555.50
DGM339.00
      09-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
rcracin
Major
Rep

God damn that bike is fucking nice. More details on it?

Then yea, go for the grom if it's all local streets. I just wished it was a 150 or 175cc for that extra bit of torque for tricky situations.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      09-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
God damn that bike is fucking nice. More details on it?

Then yea, go for the grom if it's all local streets. I just wished it was a 150 or 175cc for that extra bit of torque for tricky situations.
Thanks!

The frame started as a Chassis Design Co. boardtracker frame that I modified to fit my build. 23" front and rear wheels. 100 ci Revtech with an Ultima 2" open primary. I have to give credit to Dan Fenton for the paint and CCS Choppers for the custom exhaust. I cant paint or weld like those dudes so I let them work their art. The rest of it was all me.

A couple fun things that might not jump out at you immediately: The wiring and brake cables are all run through the frame for a super clean look. Rear turn signals are repurposed 1960s era Vespa scooter fuel float bowls that I mounted red LEDs inside of. Brake and clutch levers are inverted. The front brake master cylinder is under the transmission and the reservoir can be seen tucked up under the seat. That reservoir is held to the seat downtube with a custom brass mounting bracket that I designed in Solidworks, 3D printed a model of, then metal cast in a small casting foundry that I made just for that part. Rear brake caliper uses the sprocket as the rotor.

Overall from the front of the front tire to the back of the back tire, the bike measures exactly 8 feet long. It's a beast. Straight pipes so it's loud a f*uck. No rear suspension. Barely turns. Melts the rear tire in any gear. But somehow, inexplicably, it's a total blast to ride. Beats the piss out of me and leaves me exhausted after 30 minutes but I dont care, I love it. At some point it's going to simply be too much for me to safely handle and I'll just clean it up and put it on display in the livingroom (Already got the wife's permission.).

If there's anything else specifically that you want to know, just ask!
Appreciate 1
DGM339.00
      09-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
Ny06M5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 18 M3, 18 M3, 20 X3M

I have a 2017 grom Top speed 63 MPH ! not even broken in yet , 70 Mph Is achievable lol I also have a 2016 S1000RR so someone Cant pull my man card LMAO, Fun little toy Actually may be selling it or both because i work so much dont have time to use them anymore.I also do sell Motorcycles so if you have any questions feel free to ask and i would be more than happy to help!
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      09-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny06M5 View Post
I have a 2017 grom Top speed 63 MPH ! not even broken in yet , 70 Mph Is achievable lol I also have a 2016 S1000RR so someone Cant pull my man card LMAO, Fun little toy Actually may be selling it or both because i work so much dont have time to use them anymore.I also do sell Motorcycles so if you have any questions feel free to ask and i would be more than happy to help!
Nice! Did you consider the Z125 when you bought the Grom? If so, what made you choose the Grom. I'm actually leaning towards the Z125. It fit me a little better than the Grom and the chassis felt a bit more nimble and fun. But then there's epic Honda reliability to consider. Ugh! It's a hard decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
rcracin
Major
Rep

I think your fit is more important. I dont think at the 125cc level you'll run into reliability problems between brands. Both make reliabile sport bikes as it is.

Nyc just has a huge grom presence. I bought mine to wheelie. Modded the hell out of it. Busted my ass practicing one day and sold it lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Man card revoked
Why? Because I want a small, fun to ride, cheap commuter that I don't give a sh*t about dropping, getting wet, dinged up, or vandalized while sitting 11 hours a day in a downtown Seattle parking garage? If that makes me less of a man in the eyes of some rando dude on a BMW forum, I'm totally cool with that.

BTW, heres one of my other bikes. Hand built, by me. Now can I have my man card back please or do I need to go shoot some guns and jack up my truck to prove my worthiness?

Man card re-issued. Here's my commuter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      09-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #12
Ny06M5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the reason i went with grom over z125 was fit, on the z125 the indents for your legs im just a tad bit tall and they dont tuck well and on the grom it fit better. As for reliability and speed/ performance they are both neck and neck and more personal preference at that point.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #13
Ny06M5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think your fit is more important. I dont think at the 125cc level you'll run into reliability problems between brands. Both make reliabile sport bikes as it is.

Nyc just has a huge grom presence. I bought mine to wheelie. Modded the hell out of it. Busted my ass practicing one day and sold it lol.
lol bought mine for fun to, But i do travel to work on it from time to time lol from staten island to new jersey . i just stay in the slow lane
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 10:58 PM   #14
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, me too. The slope on the Grom seat kept sliding me into the tank. The Kawai just fit better. Grom seemed a little torquier but the Z125 had more top end. I'm really leaning towards the Kawai now.

Did you actually break your ass? Like busted tail bone?!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #15
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny06M5 View Post
the reason i went with grom over z125 was fit, on the z125 the indents for your legs im just a tad bit tall and they dont tuck well and on the grom it fit better. As for reliability and speed/ performance they are both neck and neck and more personal preference at that point.
Ah I see, that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #16
rcracin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, me too. The slope on the Grom seat kept sliding me into the tank. The Kawai just fit better. Grom seemed a little torquier but the Z125 had more top end. I'm really leaning towards the Kawai now.

Did you actually break your ass? Like busted tail bone?!
haha no. I was wearing gear. No damage. Just realized stunting wasn't for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #17
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

No interest in the CRF250L? Not too much more money (or at least they weren't last time I checked) and lots more bike.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #18
Ny06M5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

not to much more money but different type of riding all around
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #19
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
haha no. I was wearing gear. No damage. Just realized stunting wasn't for me.
Oh, OK. good. A busted ass would really suck!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #20
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
No interest in the CRF250L? Not too much more money (or at least they weren't last time I checked) and lots more bike.
You know, I thought about it. Also considered the BMW G310r. Both good bikes but here's the thing. I'll care too much about them. I'll start not wanting to ride in the rain. I'll wash and wax them. They are real bikes and I'll fall into the trap of caring too much. The Grom / Z125 is more like a funny practical joke. I can buzz around just not giving a sh*t. I also like how maneuverable they are. I found myself yesterday stuck at a light on my moto guzzi. I was behind a couple cars. If I could have popped up the curb and onto the sidewalk for 15 feet I could have gone around and have been on my way. But on a Grom/Z125, oh hell yeah!

Another example, downtown Seattle traffic is unimaginably bad at rush hour. If you can scream through the alley ways you can actually move pretty unencumbered. The alleys are full of trash, dumpsters, crack heads, pot holes, delivery trucks, etc. Gettign turned around even on a regular motorcycle is really tricky. But on a Grom / Z125, no problemo!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #21
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Makes sense to me. I had one for a couple years and had tons of fun on it so I just thought I'd mention it. But sounds like you have way more experience on two wheels and have things sorted.

GLWP
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #22
rcracin
Major
Rep

Quote:
You know, I thought about it. Also considered the BMW G310r. Both good bikes but here's the thing. I'll care too much about them. I'll start not wanting to ride in the rain. I'll wash and wax them. They are real bikes and I'll fall into the trap of caring too much. The Grom / Z125 is more like a funny practical joke. I can buzz around just not giving a sh*t. I also like how maneuverable they are. I found myself yesterday stuck at a light on my moto guzzi. I was behind a couple cars. If I could have popped up the curb and onto the sidewalk for 15 feet I could have gone around and have been on my way. But on a Grom/Z125, oh hell yeah!

Another example, downtown Seattle traffic is unimaginably bad at rush hour. If you can scream through the alley ways you can actually move pretty unencumbered. The alleys are full of trash, dumpsters, crack heads, pot holes, delivery trucks, etc. Gettign turned around even on a regular motorcycle is really tricky. But on a Grom / Z125, no problemo!
And that is exactly why I'm on my 175 ALL the time. My sport bike was touched only 3 times this summer, once was for the track.

Hopefully you're not too heavy of a guy. The 125 hopping curbs might need a little help.
Appreciate 0