New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-07-2023, 10:07 AM   #1
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

I have never laughed so hard... (Aston Martin Valkyrie)

...at a YouTube video!!!

In this video, Mat Watson is lucky enough to drive the incredible Aston Martin Valkyrie around the Bahrain International Circuit. He does a fairly admirable job. But then...

...he goes for a ride along in the Valkyrie AMR (track only version), and that's when disaster strikes. You'll just have to check it out to see what happens for yourself; the fun starts at the 27.34 mark:

Appreciate 4
Esteban43650.50
overcoil3073.50
sygazelle11366.50
Soul_Glo13346.00
      03-07-2023, 10:32 AM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Credit to Aston to building a fantastic road legal race car but man, why ruin it by putting a battery in it? Just making last of the breed, 1,000HP is plenty.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 10:57 AM   #3
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Great video! Last few minutes are indeed great!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 02:58 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Credit to Aston to building a fantastic road legal race car but man, why ruin it by putting a battery in it? Just making last of the breed, 1,000HP is plenty.
Amen. I don't get it at all, who the heck even needs 1K HP in the road? Even my freaking car's too fast for the road.

"Oh look, we added electric and it can go for 37 miles on battery alone!!!!!" Wow..... /s SMH.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 04:25 PM   #5
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Amen. I don't get it at all, who the heck even needs 1K HP in the road? Even my freaking car's too fast for the road.

"Oh look, we added electric and it can go for 37 miles on battery alone!!!!!" Wow..... /s SMH.

I'm not an engineer, nor do i know enough about hybrid cars, but do you think it has something to do with the street legality of it? In the video Mat asks about the decibels of the exhaust and how it can be street legal being so loud, and the engineer says on paper it's actually the quietest because it is rated by the sound it makes when it's running on battery.

I would imagine they couldn't do this if there was no hybrid system.

Just my thought.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 04:46 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
I'm not an engineer, nor do i know enough about hybrid cars, but do you think it has something to do with the street legality of it? In the video Mat asks about the decibels of the exhaust and how it can be street legal being so loud, and the engineer says on paper it's actually the quietest because it is rated by the sound it makes when it's running on battery.

I would imagine they couldn't do this if there was no hybrid system.

Just my thought.
You may be right, because the electric addition usually is quite trivial for what they contribute, besides the added complexity.

Not a fan of hybrid anything, it's a compromise, just go w one sys. (Yes, I know the industry is still in the WIP/transitional stage so who knows when cars will be optimized, if ever.)
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
aa2033375.00
      03-07-2023, 04:54 PM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Hybrid will win the day on passenger cars my friend, that much is inevitable. Certainly in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 05:07 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Hybrid will win the day on passenger cars my friend, that much is inevitable. Certainly in Canada.
Ya, during the long transitional phase, but in the end, who knows what tech it will be (full electric probably once they figure out the range and heaviness issues)? Hybrid is almost by definition a compromise.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 05:12 AM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

It’s funny because this guy usually does drag races with a huge smile. On the track though in that car.. so out of character for him but hilarious commentary nonetheless.
Appreciate 0