New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-02-2023, 04:34 PM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
I take some comfort in the fact that they also will have to deal with crocs/alligators and awful snakes
None of those in Cali
      03-02-2023, 05:16 PM   #24
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3

If you’re asking, don’t ask for a raise ask for a market adjustment on the basis of a review. Ideally if you want a market adjustment, you have done your due diligence. What are the salary ranges posted for similar job descriptions in your industry, ideally by competitors. How have market conditions changed since you were hired? Pretty easy to look at inflation and show that not only in the last few years but in the whole 5 year period, your salary is getting outpaced by increases and cost of living and so forth. Critically, outline your successes against your own job description. Have you gotten in reading responsibilities in the 5 years that seem to be outside your job description? Do you have data? For example, you negotiated a $700M award with the largest customer at your company. When you started you didn’t negotiate more that $50M with all your customers. If they give you “and other duties” in your job description, that’s not the material portion of what it is. Just focus you want a review of your salary against the market. Asking for a raise creates a sense of entitlement.

Also, I personally would never leverage another job offer to get a raise, sounds like you wouldn’t leave anyway.

FYI I only read your initial post so if this has been addressed my bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 07:08 PM   #25
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
I still hope a crocodile sneaks up and bites your butt when you aren't looking one of these days for all the talk and pictures of how warm and sunny it is where you are (especially bitter right now because I'm in winter), but I'm quite pleased to hear you have something good coming down the pipeline and that they've noticed your efforts without you having to say something.

On an unrelated note, I'm about to be equally bitter about my SIL and her husband moving from Alberta to Florida this year. Now they are also going to be enjoying the nice warm climate. I take some comfort in the fact that they also will have to deal with crocs/alligators and awful snakes that I will not have to deal with. They are moving probably to Lakeland area and operate some airbnbs out of clearwater area, maybe Orlando too.
I’m not upset by this except we don’t have crocs. Only gators. I’m about an hour south of Lakeland and have only seen 3 real size gators in 7 years here. Lakeland area has more I think hence the lakes, but Clearwater does not bc of the Gulf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008M36MT View Post
If you’re asking, don’t ask for a raise ask for a market adjustment on the basis of a review. Ideally if you want a market adjustment, you have done your due diligence. What are the salary ranges posted for similar job descriptions in your industry, ideally by competitors. How have market conditions changed since you were hired? Pretty easy to look at inflation and show that not only in the last few years but in the whole 5 year period, your salary is getting outpaced by increases and cost of living and so forth. Critically, outline your successes against your own job description. Have you gotten in reading responsibilities in the 5 years that seem to be outside your job description? Do you have data? For example, you negotiated a $700M award with the largest customer at your company. When you started you didn’t negotiate more that $50M with all your customers. If they give you “and other duties” in your job description, that’s not the material portion of what it is. Just focus you want a review of your salary against the market. Asking for a raise creates a sense of entitlement.

Also, I personally would never leverage another job offer to get a raise, sounds like you wouldn’t leave anyway.

FYI I only read your initial post so if this has been addressed my bad.
Definitely not looking for a market adjustment. 5 years ago I was hired solely based on my resume. I was def hired low but most of my pay is commission. Now I am looking for an additional sector to be paid commission on. A market adjustment I don’t think would get me near where I’m hoping for.

Either way thanks everyone for the positive convo bc usually people DGAF about anyone else and their lives
Appreciate 2