New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #133
Z K
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This obsession with 'customisation" is a BS argument, Android is still pretty inflexible and this is not most people's problem with apple.

The issue with apple is data management, lack of a file structure, syncing rather than saving and backing up, compatibility with other devices and systems (like simple casting), forced use of iTunes etc etc.
Actually on the file system, they rolled out a huge update to the iOS file system a few months ago. It was a complete ground up revamp... and they rolled it out to all users flawlessly. Most people just saw a regular update and things worked the same after as before.

I knew of this update before as my friend was on the team that was developing it. Much late nights and weekends were pulled to make this update meet the schedule. It was a huge change that went out with little fanfare. There is a tiny boost to storage capacity. Read and write times are improved with 64 bit applications. The main reason for the update is to prepare things for future apps and hardware.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/1...-10-3-features
      09-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #134
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep

Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
You write too much crap, I don't understand half of what your going on about, learn how to summarize your points, no need for essay's here, you aren't getting graded.

I currently use a Samsung S8+ and I can't understand you are on about, my experience is not based on a S2. Android is on drastically under-powered hardware? Man, you must be on the moon. Android devices largely out spec a comparable iPhone but still performs better.
Show me a reputable performance test that shows how the Snapdragon processor outperforms Apple's CPU's? Never will happen. You don't have to be a scientist to realize that when the manufacturer builds their own chips to work with their own devices and software, you will always have a faster device. Even when Samsung show more RAM and a bigger processor, it still doesn't outperform the iPhone.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #135
b4hand
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Show me a reputable performance test that shows how the Snapdragon processor outperforms Apple's CPU's? Never will happen. You don't have to be a scientist to realize that when the manufacturer builds their own chips to work with their own devices and software, you will always have a faster device. Even when Samsung show more RAM and a bigger processor, it still doesn't outperform the iPhone.
Its much more complicated than 'Building your own CPU and software'.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #136
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #137
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i msport

A lot of what is being said here is just gibberish as everything really depends on you even use the phone for. If it is for going on BP...it makes little difference. Lot of fanboy crap here. And in the end, for whatever the phone is used for the differences in performance is marginal.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #138
Maestro
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
if you're looking for a car analogy, BMW is more like an android. it's got a very active community of people who can change the car from stock, you can swap in better components (brake pads, spark plugs, intercoolers etc).

But, every time you get into a BMW, you need to get used to the individual car. The indicators are on the wrong side, the icons on the dash and location of the cruise control changes from car to car and model to model. Frankly, it's confusing when you first get into a new BMW, and they've got so many different models it must be very difficult for BMW to support every one.

The iPhone is like a Tesla. It's fully integrated, sleek, shiny and fast. There are different specifications, but really only one "model". If you are happy doing exactly what the designer expects you to do with it, it's wonderful; but if you are bothered by it's shortcomings (like agility, battery life, charge time, value for money, etc) you can lump it or leave it.
Good point, but customizing your ride is more of Ford & Chevy thing. BMW rather you not mess with the car, you are more or less jailbreaking a BMW. Trust me there are far more custom parts for Ford and Chevy than BMW, and they cost a lot less as well. I modified Ford Engines with far less efforts.

My point was about the engineering going into all the parts and pieces and making sure they work together ( yeah we all have complaints about BMW engineering failures) but as integrated solution it works well, just like the IPhone, they are highly engineered and tested devices, unlike their android counter parts who are just slapping piecing together none of which they had design inputs on the specs of the part.

I worked in the electronic design world for a long time and PC's and Android live in the world of design compromises. Since no one controls the design top to bottom everyone gets a compromised solution and make it work to the best of its ability.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #139
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

What I find interesting is I never see Apple "fanboys" posting android memes... like android fanboys be like

However anytime Apple is mentioned be it iphone or macs or whatever all those diehard windows 95 for life IT guys come out of the wood work to express their intense hatred for a company who's products they dont even use.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #140
Maestro
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
To your point, benchmarks mean nothing and Samsung has been caught throttling up their chips when they knew a benchmark was being run just to say they score higher on the test.

There are plenty of real world test of the phone side by side running the exact same tasks, like boot up, login into the phone, launching an app, accessing a webpage and so on and the more tasks you do the better the iPhone is, android begins slowing down as memory gets used up and as android cache files stack up. There is good hardware out there until you install Android on it, Google still has issues with memory leaks and memory management, this is why the Andriod hardware guys need to keep pushing up their memory requirements. You do not need lots of memory if you do proper memory management.

Another real work example is the fact that Samsung put in the high resolution display more pixel than any phone, the problem is their GPU can not handle the density so it slows the phone down and image quality suffers because of it, but they can claim they have the most dense display, so what if it mostly unusable.

The only good arguments Android has as justification why to buy,

first is cost, but we all know you only get what you pay for. If you do not mind replacing your phone ever 18 months to 2 yrs because it fails then great.

The next things is you can customize some elements of how the phone works, but most people do not do this, I hardly see anyone who really customizes their phones anymore, hell people do not use ringtone any more or even modify the default rings and tones which is something Android did very well. With that said I was out to diner and guy a few tables over had BB and he was showing off the different ringtone he had for different people who called him. I could not believe someone was still using ringtone.

The last thing is choices, you have more supplier to choose from, but this is not really a choose since you can not transfer your set up from one manufacturer to another, yes somethings can transfer like contact if you use google services. but many things do not transfer like save game states or app set up preference even though google made a half hearted attempt to make it work. Switching and IPhone is a 20 minute activity and the new phone look and work exactly like your old phone. Can not do that on Android, trust me I spent 7 yrs using android and hated every time I had to change phones because the battery was only lasting 2 hours or the phone was so slow because the files and operation system was so corrupt.

The biggest issue I see with Android is backward compatibility. If you have year old phone and Android comes up with new great features and you want them on your phone most likely you will be unable to upgrade, you have to buy a new phone with the new software installed. Even then new hardware does not always support the new software and features. In our house we have IPhone 3 and 4 yrs old and they will have the last iOS loaded on them and they support most all the new feature except those which are hardware dependent like touch ID.
Appreciate 0