Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
941
Rep
3,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Is this a garage drain or just a pit for liquid to evaporate?

Dumb question haha but I have a putrid smell coming from the middle and removing the drain/pit cover... Took it out and yep there is liquid that goes almost to the top. I recall I had a good ammount of coolant spill there since I forgot to put a drain pan one time.

My question is it supposed to drain and my drain is clogged or are these rectangular holes usually just a pit to evaporate?

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
Drop the hammer
Second Lieutenant
114
Rep
267
Posts

 
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Suck it right out with a shop vac. Then inspect it for a drain, it could be tied into sewer, but if in residential area I would bet itís just a collection sump as vehicle oils/spills are usually not allowed in the sewer.
Mine is just a collection sump, and I suck it out with shop vac a couple times a year and a bit of bleach keeps it from smelling.
Appreciate 4
      08-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
941
Rep
3,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
Suck it right out with a shop vac. Then inspect it for a drain, it could be tied into sewer, but if in residential area I would bet itís just a collection sump as vehicle oils/spills are usually not allowed in the sewer.
Mine is just a collection sump, and I suck it out with shop vac a couple times a year and a bit of bleach keeps it from smelling.
Good idea on the shop vac I was thinking using my transfer pump but shop vac would be best.

Where did you dump the liquid? Guess only way is to transfer shop vac contents into jugs and bring to city eco point?

Smells so bad I'm going to put my 3m respirator.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
nyalpine90's Avatar
United_States
5081
Rep
10,972
Posts

 
Drives: G01 Msport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N.Y.

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
its a drain that should be tied to sewer line, if theres water sitting there then most likely its clogged.

if its a pit, there should be a pump in pit. the pump should be connect to sewer line.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone8963.00

      08-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
Maestro
Major
545
Rep
1,181
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Can not speak for Canada building codes. In the US any newer home built in the last 50 yrs if the garage has drain it must be tied to the sewage system for the reason of oil and other car related chemicals can not be dumped into the environment. If you have septic system the story could be different since getting chemical or oil into a septic system can wreck havoc on your system.

When I have seen a large square drain covers like that, it usually means there is catch in the drain, a place which sludge will collect to be cleaned out later. The actual drain is higher than the bottom of the drain box so you will always have standing water/sludge in the box. The actual drain usually goes out the side of the box or come up the middle and is 6" or so above the bottom. This done because the sewer system does not want all the dirt and salt from your car driving around in the winter. I would bail it out and see if you can find the drain pipe and see if it is cloged. I remember my dad after each winter season putting a hose down the drain pipe and running water down it to flush out any standing sludge in the drain pipe and also should have P-trap in the line somewhere to keep sewer gases from come back into the garage.

There is a down side to these type of drain, do not ever let gas or any flammable chemical get into the drain box, I seen people catch the drain on fire at minimum at worse they blow up.

If it was done correctly it should look like the picture below


Last edited by Maestro; 08-15-2019 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
nyalpine905081.00

      08-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
941
Rep
3,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Can not speak for Canada building codes. In the US any newer home built in the last 50 yrs if the garage has drain it must be tied to the sewage system for the reason of oil and other car related chemicals can not be dumped into the environment. If you have septic system the story could be different since getting chemical or oil into a septic system can wreck havoc on your system.

When I have seen a large square drain covers like that, it usually means there is catch in the drain, a place which sludge will collect to be cleaned out later. The actual drain is higher than the bottom of the drain box so you will always have standing water/sludge in the box. The actual drain usually goes out the side of the box or come up the middle and is 6" or so above the bottom. This done because the sewer system does not want all the dirt and salt from your car driving around in the winter. I would bail it out and see if you can find the drain pump and see if it is clogs. I remember my dad after each winter season putting a hose down the drain pipe and running water down it to flush out any standing sludge in the drain pipe and also should have P-trap in the line somewhere to keep sewer gases from come back into the garage.

There is a down side to these type of drain, do not ever let gas or any flammable chemical get into the drain box, I seen people catch the drain on fire at minimum at worse they blow up.
Wait does that mean I can it up with my shop vac and dump the contents in the road so it goes into the sewer? And no septic since I live in city.

I need to take a second look under now that you mention the drain sits higher! I did see some kind of white pipe that higher on the side. I'll post a second pic tonight. If so I can leave it there just sometimes it smell so damn bad.

But yeah man if it's just a pit and oil falls in there yikes can be dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:21 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
1569
Rep
2,628
Posts

 
Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Where did you dump the liquid?
Toilet works great
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #8
Maynard
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1051
Rep
1,668
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 228iX
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

No, don't ever dump potentially flammable stuff into a toilet. The gasoline floats, and often won't go all the way out of the house (stays in the toilet trap), then can ignite. My old neighbor's husband blew himself off the toilet that way by flipping a cigarette butt down into the toilet while sitting there. Put it into a jug of some sort and take it to any garage or auto parts store to recycle; If they don't take it, you can set it outside to evaporate. Even sending that jug to landfill would be better than just dumping it into a storm drain (those go direct to waterways).
Appreciate 1
eluded1568.50

      08-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
chowser51
Captain
chowser51's Avatar
United_States
464
Rep
951
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 BMW F33 430i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
OP? Please post a pic of it after you drain it out. My parents' have one in their garage at their new place and asked me to clean it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
8963
Rep
22,850
Posts

 
Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Op that drain is tied into your sewer line. IF you have a rancid odor coming from it... boil some water and pour it down into the drain. Do this a few times. The odor should go away.

You might have to use a "snake" to unclog the drain. But usually pouring water down there does the trick.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #11
adc100
Major
827
Rep
1,024
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

There is a gravel base under the concrete. It probably just goes to the gravel under the entire concrete floor.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #12
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13897
Rep
7,030
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
There is a gravel base under the concrete. It probably just goes to the gravel under the entire concrete floor.
Were any of the homes in question property of the Clinton's in the past? Asking for a friend.



__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #13
hubbahubba
Private
United_States
99
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: M340i on order
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
There is a gravel base under the concrete. It probably just goes to the gravel under the entire concrete floor.
Water is every homes enemy. Draining water under a slab of concrete is really not a good idea, it does many strange and damaging things. Are you sure that it is not some sort of catch basin that is filled with gravel, and drains elsewhere? I would be very leary of it if it is just draining willy nilly under the slab.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #14
adc100
Major
827
Rep
1,024
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
Water is every homes enemy. Draining water under a slab of concrete is really not a good idea, it does many strange and damaging things. Are you sure that it is not some sort of catch basin that is filled with gravel, and drains elsewhere? I would be very leary of it if it is just draining willy nilly under the slab.
Used to be done all the time. The house I am in now had it. The basement was fully underground. If the water table was very high it would come up through the drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Were any of the homes in question property of the Clinton's in the past? Asking for a friend.
lolz
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13897.00

      08-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #15
hubbahubba
Private
United_States
99
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: M340i on order
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Used to be done all the time. The house I am in now had it. The basement was fully underground. If the water table was very high it would come up through the drain
They used to think that smoking was healthy too. Just sayin'. Water is bad under slabs and does funny things to them. Not if, but when.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #16
adc100
Major
827
Rep
1,024
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
They used to think that smoking was healthy too. Just sayin'. Water is bad under slabs and does funny things to them. Not if, but when.
Well here is a surprise. Every concrete footer, floor,road that has ever been poured over stone....the stone can and will be wet for loooong periods of time during very wet weather. The drain is absolutely not a problem.

The drain is merely meant to get rid of small amounts of water such as wen you wash the floor.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #17
hubbahubba
Private
United_States
99
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: M340i on order
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
They used to think that smoking was healthy too. Just sayin'. Water is bad under slabs and does funny things to them. Not if, but when.
Well here is a surprise. Every concrete footer, floor,road that has ever been poured over stone....the stone can and will be wet for loooong periods of time during very wet weather. The drain is absolutely not a problem.

The drain is merely meant to get rid of small amounts of water such as wen you wash the floor.
I am not going to argue with you. if you want to drain water under your slab, knock yourself out.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #18
adc100
Major
827
Rep
1,024
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Just putting factual information. On what was done..mostly in areas where there is no sewers. I actually concreted the drain over and installed a sump/pump.

I'm also done.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 07:38 PM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
941
Rep
3,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

I took a second look today and holy shit every time I pull it out it smells so bad.

But it's maybe about 6 inches from the top the liquid and near the top there is a pipe with a capped of end. Not sure what that is.

I guess that would mean there is a drain underneath? If I suck it up with the vacuum you guys would dump that in the street to go into sewer?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #20
tcphoto
Captain
524
Rep
970
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i MT Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Madison, GA

iTrader: (0)

I would use a shop vac and put the liquid in something like a 5 quart oil container. Odds are it’s coolant and oil mixture so you can dispose of it at auto garages. My local Walmart accepts used oil and fluids. I would pour bleach down the drain to get rid of the smell.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #21
TheWatchGuy
Major
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
1869
Rep
1,427
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
I am not going to argue with you. if you want to drain water under your slab, knock yourself out.
ive poured many a footers/slabs over rock so that water can drain out from groundwater/stormwater. We have always put many sump pits under slabs/ below grade for discharge of drains. If it is designed and built properly, and the rock/soil has a moisture barrier or geotech fabric to prevent the soil from eroding away, there arent going to be issues.

now running an active drain straight under the slab, not the best idea. (think sink drain) but water under your slab running through the base course isnt the issue. there are a host of other things that will cause the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I took a second look today and holy shit every time I pull it out it smells so bad.

But it's maybe about 6 inches from the top the liquid and near the top there is a pipe with a capped of end. Not sure what that is.

I guess that would mean there is a drain underneath? If I suck it up with the vacuum you guys would dump that in the street to go into sewer?
dont dump it straight to the street. no idea about the laws where youre at, but most places, it is a fine. That being said, id probably dump it in the street and hose it down.

that pipe could be an inlet pipe that was capped off from another drain, or could be the actual drain connection that for some reason was capped off. Suck out all the liquid from the sump and see if there are other pipes/drains coming in.
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #22
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
nyalpine90's Avatar
United_States
5081
Rep
10,972
Posts

 
Drives: G01 Msport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N.Y.

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
I have a feeling you have stormwater, it should be connected to that pipe you are seeing, usually its sump pump with 2" or 3" discharge. It unhealthy, have bacteria growing on stagnant water.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST