New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #111
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
+1, Ford would definately be alot better off if they ever bring them over. I believe the Mondeo is one of the top selling sedans over in Europe.
The Astra is #2 I believe in Europe and it is failing here sadly. Damn Americans hatred for hatches.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #112
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep

Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I own a '04 z06, so thought I'd chime in. They are really great cars. Very comfortable, and the interior is nice IMO, especially with my red/black version. I suppose you could argue they plastics or whatnot are not as nice as BMW, but I could argue that BMW interiors are one of the things I dont like about BMW. I owned a 325xi for a few years and the new interiors are the same (pretty much) as the new BMW's. I actually dont like BMW interiors, they're boring.

About the rattles.. My z06 has less rattles after 4 years than my 325xi had after 2.

About performance.. Even my 04 z06 will smoke any M3. Thats fact, the performance threshold of these cars are amazing. How do I know this? I've tracked my z06 for four years.

About daily driving/comfort.. There is a lot of space in the rear, especially for a sports car. The seats, although they could use more bolstering, are VERY comfortable on long trips. When I travel to tracks far into Canada, I can get out with no backpain or pressure points (cant say the same for the seats that were in my 325xi, they were awful). If we want to go on a long trip, we'll take the z06. The STI is also comfortable, nice seats, as is the FX35 we own, but the Vette is the MOST comfortable car. It is my daily driver when the weather is suitable. You CAN definitely use it as a DD.

Why do I still own a 4 year old car (I'd normally change out every one to two years)? I cant find another car on the planet for less than 100K (my budget) that will put such a smile on my face. The cost per performance factor on the z06 is ridiculous! Even the new z06, although a more refined car, IMO is not as fun. I've driven it at the track many times (my good friend owns one and we swap from time to time) and it is definitely a more impressive car to drive fast, but on the street, its so good you need to really be going fast to enjoy it or push the limits. Its just too refined, too soft, too quiet. Kind of like the M3 actually.

The reason I'm here is that I'm considering buying a M3 to replace my '08 STI, just because I've always wanted to own one, but to compare it to the z06, there simply is no comparison. I would NEVER trade in my Vette for the M3!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #113
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
I own a '04 z06, so thought I'd chime in. They are really great cars. Very comfortable, and the interior is nice IMO, especially with my red/black version. I suppose you could argue they plastics or whatnot are not as nice as BMW, but I could argue that BMW interiors are one of the things I dont like about BMW. I owned a 325xi for a few years and the new interiors are the same (pretty much) as the new BMW's. I actually dont like BMW interiors, they're boring.

About the rattles.. My z06 has less rattles after 4 years than my 325xi had after 2.

About performance.. Even my 04 z06 will smoke any M3. Thats fact, the performance threshold of these cars are amazing. How do I know this? I've tracked my z06 for four years.

About daily driving/comfort.. There is a lot of space in the rear, especially for a sports car. The seats, although they could use more bolstering, are VERY comfortable on long trips. When I travel to tracks far into Canada, I can get out with no backpain or pressure points (cant say the same for the seats that were in my 325xi, they were awful). If we want to go on a long trip, we'll take the z06. The STI is also comfortable, nice seats, as is the FX35 we own, but the Vette is the MOST comfortable car. It is my daily driver when the weather is suitable. You CAN definitely use it as a DD.

Why do I still own a 4 year old car (I'd normally change out every one to two years)? I cant find another car on the planet for less than 100K (my budget) that will put such a smile on my face. The cost per performance factor on the z06 is ridiculous! Even the new z06, although a more refined car, IMO is not as fun. I've driven it at the track many times (my good friend owns one and we swap from time to time) and it is definitely a more impressive car to drive fast, but on the street, its so good you need to really be going fast to enjoy it or push the limits. Its just too refined, too soft, too quiet. Kind of like the M3 actually.

The reason I'm here is that I'm considering buying a M3 to replace my '08 STI, just because I've always wanted to own one, but to compare it to the z06, there simply is no comparison. I would NEVER trade in my Vette for the M3!
Truth in action and words!

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #114
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Truth in action and words!
Truth? Or one mans/owners opinion? Which I do respect his opinion, but don't agree with.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #115
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MIKE View Post
Truth? Or one mans/owners opinion? Which I do respect his opinion, but don't agree with.
Which part?
      11-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #116
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Which part?
sub's review of his Corvette
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #117
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
sub's review of his Corvette
Uh, just let it go man. The Z06 is an awesome car. It produces 505HP (600HP+ with simple header and tune work), and it can smoke Ferraris all day long, and it does it with a 26MPG highway rating. That's simply amazing.

The E92 M3 is an awesome car. I like it a lot, and even test drove it. I'm not sure what to get between the new Cayman S or the E92 M3, but just enjoy what you have man and don't feel the need to fight everyone who has a different opinion than you. You drive a friggin' M3 man. Enjoy it, and be happy.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #118
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Uh, just let it go man. The Z06 is an awesome car. It produces 505HP (600HP+ with simple header and tune work), and it can smoke Ferraris all day long, and it does it with a 26MPG highway rating. That's simply amazing.

The E92 M3 is an awesome car. I like it a lot, and even test drove it. I'm not sure what to get between the new Cayman S or the E92 M3, but just enjoy what you have man and don't feel the need to fight everyone who has a different opinion than you. You drive a friggin' M3 man. Enjoy it, and be happy.
I don't think I'm fighting with anybody here. I'm simply stating my opinion. I can't justify paying GM $80k for a car. Why are the foreign car companies thriving in this country? Including Kia and Hyundai. And yet the american car companies can't turn a profit.

I was watching an interview yesterday morning and they had the VP of Audi America on. Audi set a sales record in US for car sales in the month of October. Now you tell me how they did that with the market and the economy crashing? They did it buy producing a good reliable product. They did it with returning lease customers. The whole idea is to have the consumer come back to spend again. It's doesn't work when you have servicing dealers trying to squeeze you for $1500 brake jobs, $400 oil changes, " your still in warranty BUT this isn't covered". The dealers are part of the destruction of these American brand names. Call Ford and complain about a local dealer you had a bad experience with. They will tell you dealer is a independent company and you should contact store manager. It's Fords big sign in front of that independent dealer and thats the #1 reason your doing business at that dealershp. The entire american car business needs to be restructured from the dealers up to CEOs. I had a problem last year with BMW servicer. I went home called BMW and 20 minutes later service manager at that another dealership called me on the phone to take care of my concerns. Problem solved. The interviewer asked the Audi VP about discounting in 09 if sales dropped due to the economy. He said, There will be no fire sales at Audi. It only scorches the brand.... Well said. Bravo! Audi.

So your choosing between Cayman s and the M3. Why isn't the Corvette one of the choices?? I mean if it's a such great car and a $8k discount, shouldn't it be your only choice?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #119
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:

So your choosing between Cayman s and the M3. Why isn't the Corvette one of the choices?? I mean if it's a such great car and a $8k discount, shouldn't it be your only choice?
I can't really logically justify a $75,000 car (Z06) right now. My son is 7 months old, and the wife doesn't work anymore and we just bought our first home (although we got a killer deal in this market).

If my finances change in the next year, I'd without hesitation go for a Z06, but the M3 and Cayman S fall into the $55,000 range with a little negotiation, so that's kind of my target. I think both of those cars, although they hold nothing on the Z06, I'd be satisfied with them. Sometimes we can't have what we want right now. I'm just going to be patient.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #120
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I can't really logically justify a $75,000 car (Z06) right now. My son is 7 months old, and the wife doesn't work anymore and we just bought our first home (although we got a killer deal in this market).

If my finances change in the next year, I'd without hesitation go for a Z06, but the M3 and Cayman S fall into the $55,000 range with a little negotiation, so that's kind of my target. I think both of those cars, although they hold nothing on the Z06, I'd be satisfied with them. Sometimes we can't have what we want right now. I'm just going to be patient.
Negative thinking on your part.
I found your new car.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1308
It's in your price range.

So Corvette Z06, Cayman or M3. I test drove a Cayman S about a year ago. It felt like a chick car compared to the 911. Didn't like it. It's a Porsche but I would wait for a 911 when the time is right. M3 much better. More fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #121
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: as many as possible

The new Road & Track, may have been another mag, compares the three levels of the Vette. The Z06 came out the loser in their comparo. Not really the loser but it came in last comparing value, preformance etc...
      11-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #122
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
The new Road & Track, may have been another mag, compares the three levels of the Vette. The Z06 came out the loser in their comparo. Not really the loser but it came in last comparing value, preformance etc...
No, you got it right the first time. If you didn't come in first, you lost.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #123
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
I don't think I'm fighting with anybody here. I'm simply stating my opinion. I can't justify paying GM $80k for a car. Why are the foreign car companies thriving in this country? Including Kia and Hyundai. And yet the american car companies can't turn a profit.

I was watching an interview yesterday morning and they had the VP of Audi America on. Audi set a sales record in US for car sales in the month of October. Now you tell me how they did that with the market and the economy crashing? They did it buy producing a good reliable product. They did it with returning lease customers. The whole idea is to have the consumer come back to spend again. It's doesn't work when you have servicing dealers trying to squeeze you for $1500 brake jobs, $400 oil changes, " your still in warranty BUT this isn't covered". The dealers are part of the destruction of these American brand names. Call Ford and complain about a local dealer you had a bad experience with. They will tell you dealer is a independent company and you should contact store manager. It's Fords big sign in front of that independent dealer and thats the #1 reason your doing business at that dealershp. The entire american car business needs to be restructured from the dealers up to CEOs. I had a problem last year with BMW servicer. I went home called BMW and 20 minutes later service manager at that another dealership called me on the phone to take care of my concerns. Problem solved. The interviewer asked the Audi VP about discounting in 09 if sales dropped due to the economy. He said, There will be no fire sales at Audi. It only scorches the brand.... Well said. Bravo! Audi.

I would take a Z06 any day over a m3. I just recently sat in my buddies z06 and I got to tell you.. its not a joke. I always hated muscle car until he took me on a spin. The interior isn't half bad also.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #124
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Yeah I have that mag. Any way you put it though, the Z06 is still a killer deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #125
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:

How does the Cayman S drive? I've always wanted to know. All I hear is that it's really "fluid and precise", but that doesn't help me understand much. I've driven an e92 M3 twice, could you relate it to that at all?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #126
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Yeah I have that mag. Any way you put it though, the Z06 is still a killer deal.
I would get the Z06 before the base. I would get the ZR1 if I had that kind of car money.
      11-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #127
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Negative thinking on your part.
I found your new car.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1308
It's in your price range.

So Corvette Z06, Cayman or M3. I test drove a Cayman S about a year ago. It felt like a chick car compared to the 911. Didn't like it. It's a Porsche but I would wait for a 911 when the time is right. M3 much better. More fun.
Oh sh*t. That's even the color I wanted!!

Have you bought from Ebay motors before?

I test drove the M3 E92 and Cayman S. They are two completely different cars. The M3 "feels" more powerful, but the Cayman S feels more "confident", if that makes any sense. Basically I would feel more comfortable pushing the Cayman S to its limit than I would the E92 M3. Regardless, both are awesome cars.

p.s - Porsche's have such a long racing history, why are they considered chick cars? If anything, the E92 is a big time chick car, but I love it.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #128
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh sh*t. That's even the color I wanted!!

Have you bought from Ebay motors before?

I test drove the M3 E92 and Cayman S. They are two completely different cars. The M3 "feels" more powerful, but the Cayman S feels more "confident", if that makes any sense. Basically I would feel more comfortable pushing the Cayman S to its limit than I would the E92 M3. Regardless, both are awesome cars.

p.s - Porsche's have such a long racing history, why are they considered chick cars? If anything, the E92 is a big time chick car, but I love it.
I didn't say Porsche was a chick car. Cayman and Boxster are the chick cars. Look in and see who is driving next time your on the road. Majority of Boxster and Cayman drivers are women.

I have never bought a car on Ebay, But I have sold two cars on Ebay with very positive results.

Porsche Turbo or Audi R8????? Anybody?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #129
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
How does the Cayman S drive? I've always wanted to know. All I hear is that it's really "fluid and precise", but that doesn't help me understand much. I've driven an e92 M3 twice, could you relate it to that at all?
Well I spent about 30 minutes with both cars. I wouldn't consider myself a pro race driver by any standard but I can notice certain things about a car when I sit in one. Both of the cars tested were MT (as a performance car should be).

The Cayman S doesn't scream power, even though it has almost 300hp. It can get up to speed fast enough, but it's not going to be a sub-4.0 car unless you get some mods (the turbo kit I hear is awesome from the guys on CaymanClub). What I did like is Porsche's short shift transmission. This thing catches, and is about as smooth a shifter as I've ever experienced. The car is nimble which is not surprising since it weighs about 600 pounds less than the M3. The best way I could describe the Cayman S is that I was "always" confident about what I was doing in the car (maybe that would get me into trouble later...). I would plan my lines during the curves I encountered on the test drive, and the car would cut through like it was on rails. The car I was in had the PASM option so the SA used it and we "lowered 10mm" on the suspension. I didn't notice the ride become any rougher, and the car was on 18''s. As for handling improvements, I didn't reach any curves that would test this car, which is my point basically. This car handles like no other car I've driven. Mid-engined balanced perfection.

The E92 M3 is a great car too. I've driven a 335i (once as a loaner, and also a test drive). I don't care what the "tuner boys" say, but the E92 M3 trounces the 335i in performance. That's why I laugh when some of the 335i guys think that their car can outperform an M3 with a $2,000 tune, some coil overs, exhaust, and new wheels because it's OBVIOUS that the M3 is a much more confident, and balanced car than what could be achieved by some tuner boy in his garage, the freaking M-Team built this car for crying out loud.

I remember taking the 335i on an off ramp where the yellow sign said 25MPH, and I basically took the energy down the ramp, and was at around 45MPH, and I was pretty scared during the experience. I could feel the back end of the car start to slip, and then of course DSC saved my ass. But in the M3, doing fairly similar manuevers during the test drive, the car didn't flinch for a second. Even the SA in the passenger seat noticed what I was doing and he said "It'll take more than that." I had to smile.

As for the overall difference, the Cayman S is more nimble. Think of a Mazda Miata if you've driven one of those (these are sleeper track cars by the way), except more refined, definitely better power throughout the entire RPM range, and of course classier.

The E92 feels like a big GT type of car to me at least when compared to the Cayman S. I don't think I'd go wrong with either car, but that $50,000 Z06 definitely has my attention. I'm just not sure it'll stay at that price. I hate Ebay, and bidding on stuff.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #130
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
I didn't say Porsche was a chick car. Cayman and Boxster are the chick cars. Look in and see who is driving next time your on the road. Majority of Boxster and Cayman drivers are women.

I have never bought a car on Ebay, But I have sold two cars on Ebay with very positive results.

Porsche Turbo or Audi R8????? Anybody?
I see lots of girls in E92's as well. Who cares? Do you have a girlfriend, does she appreciate you being derogatory towards her gender? Grow up a little bit, will you?

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #131
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
I would get the Z06 before the base. I would get the ZR1 if I had that kind of car money.
The ZR1 is pretty much my dream car. I'd love to see the smug smile of a Porsche GT3 owner, or Ferrari F430 owner fade away as I pulled up next to their cars at the stop light.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #132
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
I would take a Z06 any day over a m3. I just recently sat in my buddies z06 and I got to tell you.. its not a joke. I always hated muscle car until he took me on a spin. The interior isn't half bad also.
I tried to avoid the interior topic, but you brought it up. Look at this interior on the ZR1. The dealer has it as a Buy it now $143k. Are you kidding me. Cheap Cheap Cheap! Same materials and controls in $20k Cheys. Look at interiors in cars @ this price range. Now don't get me wrong I was watching the ZR1 go around the ring last June. The car is sick sh*t, but that is on the track. You can't do that on the streets.
Appreciate 0