New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 M235xi

Is QuickJack safe?

I know the QuickJack series of products is quite popular among many DIYers. I'm considering it but I have a question about safety.
I do not see any backup (redundant safety component) if the hydraulic fails.

DISCLAIMER: I have not examined one in close details.

Share with us your thoughts and experiences, please.
      06-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
jellydoughnutt
Private
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

There is one. It's like a metal bar/latch that's put in place after lifting that car. Looks like one on each side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ea-5ifRRYI

Also, I've read of cars being left on it for months at a time without issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellydoughnutt View Post
There is one. It's like a metal bar/latch that's put in place after lifting that car. Looks like one on each side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ea-5ifRRYI

Also, I've read of cars being left on it for months at a time without issues.
I have no doubt that it can lift heavy objects and stay there for months. The hydraulics are strong.

I'm seeking to understand if there is a reliable backup safety mechanism when the main hydraulics fail.

It may be able to lift 100 tons and stay there for years. But, if it fails just ONCE when I'm under it, there is no second chance or third chance.

That's all I'm asking. So, again, I'm not doubting its ability to scale beyond the max tonnage.
      06-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The Quickjack system does have a mechanical safety latch that will prevent lowering if the hydraulics fail:

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
QuickJack, LLC is a subsidiary of BendPak Inc. Today, BendPak is the world's leading producer of car lift systems and automotive service equipment, with a global commitment to never settle.

https://www.quickjack.com/about-quickjack.html

I would hope the design has been reviewed by BendPak.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
The Quickjack system does have a mechanical safety latch that will prevent lowering if the hydraulics fail:

Thanks for posting this.
So, there is such a component.
Besides showing us that it can lift 10 tons or 20 tons, I'd like to see QuickLift showing us with videos that the 20 tons stay up with the hydraulics OFF and using this latch to hold up that 20 tons.

That's what I'm looking for.

The good thing is that there is a mechanism but it almost look like the internals of a firearm trigger mechanism.

Does anyone know if the metal on that latch is forged steel?
      06-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
QuickJack, LLC is a subsidiary of BendPak Inc. Today, BendPak is the world's leading producer of car lift systems and automotive service equipment, with a global commitment to never settle.

https://www.quickjack.com/about-quickjack.html

I would hope the design has been reviewed by BendPak.
I sure hope so.
      06-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '18 M2

You're supposed to lower the lift until the locking bars are locked into one of the two heights and supporting the entire weight of the car, that's their purpose. When they're locked into one of their positions and supporting the full car weight, the hydraulic system has no pressure. At this point, you can unhook all the hydraulic lines if you want.
Appreciate 1
TURBO82263.50
      06-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
You're supposed to lower the lift until the locking bars are locked into one of the two heights and supporting the entire weight of the car, that's their purpose. When they're locked into one of their positions and supporting the full car weight, the hydraulic system has no pressure. At this point, you can unhook all the hydraulic lines if you want.
Can you have the hydraulics running so that you have both:
  1. hydraulics
  2. safety latch?

If hydraulics are turned OFF, we're back to relying on a single-point of failure with no backup.
      06-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Drives: Evo

Yes you lower the car onto those lock points then tap the up button to build hydraulic pressure but not lift off the locks. I usually do this when I work with mine. You could also put 4 jack stands under it if you are as paranoid as you seem.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #11
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I think this is stupid as shit. You can jack the car onto 4 jackstands in about 2 minutes with a low profile jack on the middle front lift pad / rear subframe.

Jack stands are reliable and it's easy to get ones that are massively overbuilt.

This quickjack seems to have basically no advantages (it doesn't even go high) and looks kind of flimsy.

If you actually NEED to jack cars quickly a lot, you need a lift, not some gimmicky pos.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPassion View Post
Thanks for posting this.
So, there is such a component.
Besides showing us that it can lift 10 tons or 20 tons, I'd like to see QuickLift showing us with videos that the 20 tons stay up with the hydraulics OFF and using this latch to hold up that 20 tons.

That's what I'm looking for.

The good thing is that there is a mechanism but it almost look like the internals of a firearm trigger mechanism.

Boss, what are you worried about? I think the Quickjack is rated at 5,000 pounds and 7,000 pounds depending on model. It is standard engineering practice to build in safety factors for equipment of all types. Usually engineers use a safety factor of at least double (2) or more common is a factor of 4. Any BMW automobile or SUV you can lift with it is under 5,000 pounds, with the safety factor, the Quickjack is totally safe to work under if it is used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

A major automotive equipment supplier such as Bend Pack is not going to manufacture and sell lifting equipment that is substandard and hazardous to use.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Yes you lower the car onto those lock points then tap the up button to build hydraulic pressure but not lift off the locks. I usually do this when I work with mine. You could also put 4 jack stands under it if you are as paranoid as you seem.
This is how ALL automotive lifts safety mechanisms work.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #14
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPassion View Post
...The good thing is that there is a mechanism but it almost look like the internals of a firearm trigger mechanism.

I doubt that it is forged, but it appears stronger than that 2D image would imply.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #15
boca1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 07 z4 3.0si

I own one, I have been under my z4, honda civic, friend 4500 lbs hellcat, infiniti g35, MB slk, and many other cars, I love the thing and totally trust it. I leave the ramps in the middle of my drive in spot for the Z4 in the garage. When I need it, I pull both cars out, adjust and have a car in the air in a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #16
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Any questions about the design and rating of a product are best answered by a phone call or email to the manufacturer.

DrivingPassion, have you contacted quick jack?

Agree with the comment about jack stands as reliable devices that can also be used to back up a lifting device.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #17
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Any questions about the design and rating of a product are best answered by a phone call or email to the manufacturer.
[...]
I will try to contact them. Manufacturers tend to be be very careful about opening themselves to litigation so I doubt they can guarantee anything.
      06-15-2019, 10:22 PM   #18
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
I think this is stupid as shit. You can jack the car onto 4 jackstands in about 2 minutes with a low profile jack on the middle front lift pad / rear subframe.

Jack stands are reliable and it's easy to get ones that are massively overbuilt.

This quickjack seems to have basically no advantages (it doesn't even go high) and looks kind of flimsy.

If you actually NEED to jack cars quickly a lot, you need a lift, not some gimmicky pos.
Seems like your car is too high and it's time to lower it. With a lowered car, jack stand has a few more steps. If you have a longer splitter (3-5 inch), it will take you more than 10 mins to jack it up.

BTW, quickjack will jack up a few inch higher, and that's the few inches make difference. Have you work under a car that need to hammer something off or shake something stuck there? Try it on jack stands with full extension (it's why ppl don't recommend using jack stand at full height).

Another question is how do you put your jack stand? Under OEM plastic jack point? I would assume you need some sort of adapter, and it needs to be rubber that not to slip. Most jack stand with V shape top section is hard to fit into OEM location. The rubber adapter is hard to find (no doubt you can DIY one). The round top jack stands are very expensive and those are not universal fitment.

All above head ache fine, you can solve it. But have you installed/leveled any of splitter or alignment adjustment or some suspension height adjust that need jack up and down a few times only to change a small thing?

Quickjack is also portable. Have you worked on race track while it's 90F outside? I prefer press a button to finish part of the job.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #19
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

To OP's concern. I have same as well. I would say nothing is guaranteed. Quickjack never said it is 100% safe. It's said in manual that it's up to you whether to put extra jack stand underneath the car.

I have the quickjack and after jacking up the car, you lock the safety bar and then press the "down" button to have all the weight sitting on the bar itself.

After reading their construction testing result. I am like 99% confident it's as safe as jack stands while it will have less chance for user error. By adding 2 or 4 jack stands under that car together, I am like 100% confident working under the car.

Just tell me, will you concern whether your apartment or house fall down on you? There are lots of buildings look super skeptical and scary, especially those big bridges or tunnels across ocean. I think you have to trust something. (Aircraft would be worst lol) Sometimes overthinking is just a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #20
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
The Quickjack has a safety factor of 5. Check out their youtube channel. They answer all the questions you have. There's a video of a 5000lb model supporting 25000lbs on the mechanical locks/stops.

You're not supposed to use the hydraulics to support the weight while working on the car, but supposed to lower it onto the mechanical stops.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16943.00
TheHaze152.00
      06-16-2019, 12:52 AM   #21
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

i don't have a quick jack- they aren't for me.

however, they aren't unsafe because of load. jacking up a car is generally unsafe in any situation- but risk is minimal.
      06-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #22
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Drives: 335

I think OP is just looking for a reason to "justify" the fact that he wont be buying a quickjack, because of one story that it failed on someone