New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #45
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Based on the OP's description of events, It seems like he was paced. Also, in drives to Jersey, my radar/laser almost never goes off, as I pass the highway police. Further out in CT and in rural areas, I do get alerts constantly.

<snip>
Doesn't matter anyways because to solidify their case, they just lie and say they verified your speed with laser or radar anyways. Anyone that believe that police are above bending the truth, let me know, I have a bridge to sell you.

<snip>
I have heard but never tried (or needed to try) asking them to produce that latest calibration certification, which they most likely not have.

But after watching that video you posted. I'm staying a far as possible from LEO and keeping my damn mouth shut.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      08-22-2020, 02:16 AM   #46
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

He didn't even taser, beat, arrest or shoot you. Be blessed. So all good. Lawyer up.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #47
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I say very little. I am extremely polite and just go with the flow.

I say nothing really other than I don't want to create any problems, and that I have nothing but respect for their profession.

I am often let go with a warming. If I am given a ticket my trusty traffic lawyer will get rid of the ticket, and minimize any traffic fine.
Steve Lehto has a series of videos on traffic tickets and what you should and shouldn't do on Youtube.

For those that don't know who Steve Lehto is, he's an attorney that weighs in on various legal topics and just random stories. He's also a car enthusiast so it helps to get his angle on this with that lens.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
The most important thing is not getting any points which I think is your case.

I would not have made an inquiry concerning the cops behavior. For a few reasons. We all have bad days and say stupid things unintentionally or intentionally.

Always felt the state cops main reason was drug and human trafficking interdiction and they choose which cars to pull over due to stereotyping and I'm not bothered by that and with the general mood with a large part of the public concerning cops and defunding and protest,
From what I understand, it's more important for that ticket to not show up on your driving record at all. If it's a moving violation but the court just knocks off the points, it does nothing as your insurance company can still see the ticket on your driving record if they do a pull.

This is for the State of Maryland. But if you have a clean driving record and go to court, you can request a probation before judgement. Some judges will just grant this some won't. What a PBJ does is it keeps that ticket from being reported on your official driving record. The police will still see it in their system but when your driving record is being pulled by your insurance company, they won't see it. After a year and you stay clean, the ticket just drops off as if it never happened. If you end up with another moving violation, that PBJ ticket will be fully instated along with you facing the full consequences of the new ticket.

I got my mother off a running a stop sign ticket with a PBJ. Just had to pay court costs.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #49
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep

Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
The most important thing is not getting any points which I think is your case.

I would not have made an inquiry concerning the cops behavior. For a few reasons. We all have bad days and say stupid things unintentionally or intentionally.

Always felt the state cops main reason was drug and human trafficking interdiction and they choose which cars to pull over due to stereotyping and I'm not bothered by that and with the general mood with a large part of the public concerning cops and defunding and protest,
From what I understand, it's more important for that ticket to not show up on your driving record at all. If it's a moving violation but the court just knocks off the points, it does nothing as your insurance company can still see the ticket on your driving record if they do a pull.

This is for the State of Maryland. But if you have a clean driving record and go to court, you can request a probation before judgement. Some judges will just grant this some won't. What a PBJ does is it keeps that ticket from being reported on your official driving record. The police will still see it in their system but when your driving record is being pulled by your insurance company, they won't see it. After a year and you stay clean, the ticket just drops off as if it never happened. If you end up with another moving violation, that PBJ ticket will be fully instated along with you facing the full consequences of the new ticket.

I got my mother off a running a stop sign ticket with a PBJ. Just had to pay court costs.
The way it works in at least NJ is "insurance points" are what determines your rate (in regards to violations). These insurance points are separate and different from points on your license; they even expire at different rates. However, in my experience these points are only considered when you make an adjustment to your policy. If nothing changes in your policy, the insurance company has no reason to look into how many insurance points you have.

Disclaimer: I haven't had a moving violation in a very long time.
      08-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #50
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 M2c 2019 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
He didn't even taser, beat, arrest or shoot you. Be blessed. So all good. Lawyer up.
This is true.

And Ive found the guy. 30 years experience and is quite sure of what the outcome will be. I’m going to wait until next Friday to hire him though as IA is supposed to get back to me next week sometime.
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      08-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #51
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 M2c 2019 M3cs

Quote:

I’m not too worried about insurance. My cars are titled to my places in NC and SC so my insurance costs are insanely low compared to what they were when I lived up north. But obviously goal number one is no points at all. I stupidly was honest with the douche cop and said I was doing 75 though... which is traffic speed on he turnpike every day but I guess that’s a real offense now lol

An they wonder why everyone is flocking in droves to the south
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #52
///M TOWN
Rep

Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
I say very little. I am extremely polite and just go with the flow.

I say nothing really other than I don't want to create any problems, and that I have nothing but respect for their profession.

I am often let go with a warming. If I am given a ticket my trusty traffic lawyer will get rid of the ticket, and minimize any traffic fine.
Steve Lehto has a series of videos on traffic tickets and what you should and shouldn't do on Youtube.

For those that don't know who Steve Lehto is, he's an attorney that weighs in on various legal topics and just random stories. He's also a car enthusiast so it helps to get his angle on this with that lens.

He gives great advice

I am always extremely compliant

And I've been let go after being pulled-over for 100+
      08-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #53
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

All of my cars have dash cams, cameras don’t lie but people do. Cop says you drove reckless, proof him wrong, Speeding, dash cam clip. They will look like a fool. I personally set my cruise control to the limit (GPS checked speed not the speedometer) and Haven’t been stopped in years.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34176.50
      08-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #54
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If you've not driven on the NJT, there are "inside" and "outside" lanes separated by concrete "New Jersey" barriers (or at least they were back in the 1990's - I've not driven on the Turnpike in 25+ years). The inside lanes are for cars-only. The outside lanes are for cars and commercial trucks.

Late 1990's... Coming back from NYC to Maryland. I'm in the inside lanes (car-only lanes) of the NJT. I'm keeping with traffic.

In the truck/car lanes (outside-lanes) there is a NJ State LEO keeping with traffic. Behind me is a Camaro carving traffic and passes me and the LEO. The LEO in the outside lanes starts pacing the Camaro that is in the inside lanes. The Turnpike lane dividers are set up with gaps to allow egress between the outside and inside lanes. The the Camaro passes one of these gaps in the barriers, the NJ LEO at speed (north of 70MPH) glides right through the gap in the barrier without slowing, gets behind the Camaro and lights him up and pulls him over. I'm now laughing my ass off. The best cop driving move I've ever seen. I decided after than to not speed on the NJT. Do not f' with the NJ State Police.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #55
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

This is NJ - that’s the state prescribed training and condoned practice for state troopers there - they illegally ticket, create dangerous situations and have the laws setup illegally & unconstitutional so you can’t even fight the bogus ticket. NJ state troopers tarnish the entire country’s police profession with their piss poor behavior, attitude and disgusting above-the-law practices.

I have been driving over 25 years throughout Northeast. I have ONE speeding ticket in 25 years. I got it at 3am in NJ driving on the highway in the right lane of a 2 lane highway. all by myself, not a car on the road. I was doing 60-65ish in cadillac. coming up from behind is a cop doing probably 120 mph and slams on his brakes next to me and dead stares me down through his passenger window, I look over a few times and smiled. he never payed attention to the road ahead of him, he was literally leaning over in the passenger seat staring me down. After the minute or two, he steps on his brakes, gets behind me then steps on the gas to the point where I swear he touched his front bumber to my rear bumper... so I sped up to get seperation - now I started to get scared as a young kid all alone on the highway at night with an aggressive cop intimidating me... he then began to swerve behind me and surge.. so I sped up a bit more... he did this f'ing with me for about 3 miles. at this point I was probably now doing 70mph ... he then flipped on his lights and pulled me over... I debated and was so close to not pulling over and getting to a public place but ended up pulling over as he broadcasted "Pull the F over" in a violently aggressive voice.

His was the biggest A-hole I ever spoke to, he insulted me and berated me - I just shut up and got my ticket fearful for way worse if I even opened my mouth.

I got out of there with 2 or 3 tickets, can't remember, but one was speeding 80mph which I never came close to, and one or two other technicals.

Being young naive and feeling I was in the right - I decided to fight the ticket - and that's when I discovered NJ has a fantastic law to prevent ticket fighting. When you go to court, if the cop doesn't show up in NJ to speak to the ticket, you get rescheduled (not dismissed). So of course he didn't show, then I have to come back in 2 months (200 mile trip)... I go the second time, he doesn't show again. the judge rules to reschedule - when I was getting my 3rd date the court clerk says "You know this will never end right? how about you pay double the fine in cash right now and we'll settle it, no points"

I paid and got the hell out of NJ - and never drove through NJ again, always went NY route to PA and beyond.

there's a reason NJ is the armpit of the northeast.

Sidebar to the story - that drive I was returning from taking a PA state trooper police exam, that was my chosen profession - after this whole incident I gave up and said if that's the police life, I want no part of it... Cut bait on 2 years of law enforcement education and training and switched professions.

I'd met a lot of people and friends with similar NJ trooper stories... this is a well known practice. NY along RT-17 from middletown to binghamton has a similar history and is known as the highest revenue generating stretch of road in the country (according to law enforcement records) but it's gotten better the past decade.

Last edited by kring; 08-23-2020 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #56
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

I commute between Philly and NYC for 16 days each month. I know all of their tactics, hiding spots, equipment used for speed enforcement, etc. I'm sorry to hear you got such a bs ticket from him in a very unprofessional traffic stop.

THIS is one of the main reasons I have a dual dash cam setup in my car. You need to protect yourself as much as you can.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #57
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

He gives great advice

Yeah, don't believe you. Sorry.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #58
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:

He gives great advice

I don't really care what you believe

Perception is reality

08-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #59
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
My brother got pulled over for 106 in a 55 and only got a ticket, cop knocked it down low enough to where he didn't even have to go to court. So I believe the guy.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      08-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #60
James King
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 328i

Wow... Sorry to hear that but yes I have had a very similar encounter.....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #61
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I believe NJ is one of the most lenient states in the country for exceeding the speed limit. You can drive right past a Trooper doing 80 in a 65 and you're usually fine. Set your cruise control to 75 in a 65 and you'll NEVER get pulled over by a NJ State Trooper. You can drive right past them.
      08-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #62
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
[once a Trooper got super close] to my rear bumper... so I sped up to get separation...
This is NOT a smart thing to do. The last thing you want to do in this situation is speed up (or slow down)! I can imagine the Trooper thinking "look at this asshole speeding up right in my face!" He likely took your action as a sign of disrespect. I suggest anyone in this position set your cruise control so your speed is locked and make sure you stay centered in your lane.

I've been here more than once... They're running your plate. If you're clean and serene they'll pull around you and be on their way without issue.
      08-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #63
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
My brother got pulled over for 106 in a 55 and only got a ticket, cop knocked it down low enough to where he didn't even have to go to court. So I believe the guy.
I have actually been let go several times for speeding well of 100mph

I am always pleasant and the outcome is usually reasonable considering
      08-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #64
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep

Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #65
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't really care what you believe

Perception is reality

Sure. My perception is BS meter is pegged.

But maybe out West in Wyoming on I90 where the speed limit is 80...

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-23-2020 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #66
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have actually been let go several times for speeding well of 100mph

I am always pleasant and the outcome is usually reasonable considering
You should teach a class... The Dale Carnegie Rules for Talking The Police Out of 100MPH Speeding Tickets.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00