New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #45
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE93 View Post
Just had to deal with this today actually. My mother's dog had a tumor that had grown around his colon. The vet said they could remove it but he wouldn't ever have a normal life afterwards. Not only that but he was riddled with tumors over his body already. Just got back home from putting hom down about an hour ago. RIP Buddy.
Sorry to hear that. Even when it is for the best, still is sad.
Appreciate 2
Matticus913469.50
minn1913970.00
      04-15-2019, 09:52 PM   #46
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
that is unfortunate, but you dont deserve to own a dog if you value your money over his/her life.
maybe i should elaborate more; we have pet insurance now for our two rescues.
we will not blindly throw money at a vet/surgeon/oncologist/lab for some unknown condition and prolong a dog's suffering.

we were pretty pissed for a few reasons, the lab that cultured our dog's back sample had contaminated the sample and the dog was on the wrong anti-fungal meds for months. as much as we tried to keep the dog comfortable during recovery while vets said it would likely take time for the dog to get better, the dog was on the wrong meds and suffering. she was pain free for a few months after the surgery, and we are happy for that, but the four months following that were agonizing and borderline selfish [opinion] to keep her alive. of course, this is with the benefit of hindsight.
we paid upwards of $8k to prolong a dog's suffering. we didn't realize this until after this event and emotions subsided.

the money wasn't as painful as the rest of it.
The challenge is you never know what the outcome will be. Our 7 year old Doxie blew out a disc in her lower lumbar and was unable to walk or even stand. We rolled the dice and dropped $9k on the surgery. That was at thanksgiving this past November. Shes 100% recovered and doing great. So you just never know.
Appreciate 5
Matticus913469.50
aozer994.50
minn1913970.00
      04-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #47
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Let me preface my following discussion with the statement: A Mind is a TERRIBLE thing!

So, I have this recurring concern that The Hound of the Realm is going to get smashed when I find she has wandered a few houses down, and I call her. She's going to run across one of the driveways just as a truck is crossing said driveway. Her torso is going to get smashed/twisted, and it will be painfully obvious that the end is nigh.

To get to the ER, it's going to take at least 20 minutes if there's no traffic. She may pass en route. I don't have any sort of euthanasia medication at home that I could administer, do I smother her with a pillow? Can one buy said medication to have on hand? I don't want to have her agony prolonged.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #48
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Thank you all for the support!!! She is out of surgery and doing well, 2 weeks with the cone of shame and she'll hopefully be good as new.

Really appreciate all the stories and support, we weren't sure she was going to make it. One of those things where she'd either be totally fine or not fine at all at the end of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninefinest View Post
I was an explosive dog handler in Iraq back in 04. When they blew up the Green Zone Cafe a leg flew into our compound and my dog Rex was running around the yard with the leg in his mouth like it was a trophy.

That's wild, I can't even imagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
My dog tried to eat a live bee. Obviously it stung her in retaliation. I didn’t think anything of it but it turns out she is very allergic. We got home from the walk and I started looking at something on the computer. She came up to my desk a few minutes later and her face was swollen to twice it’s size and she was having trouble breathing. I rusherd her to the emergency clinic and they gave her an IV of antihistamines. Thankfully she ended up fine.
I've been there! My first dog found a ground-nest of yellow jackets, came up to us with a mouth the size of a watermelon. Glad your pup was ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmugmotleocay View Post
I have a 5 year old Rottweiler with nothing but medical issues. He had chronic diarrhea , IBS , acra lick granuloma , pancreatitis , going blind and to top it off diabetes. We spent around $13,000 on him. I don't think he will make 6 . The poor guy is a big bundle of love.
He looks like a love bug, I had a rotty growing up too. Give him a hug for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
wishing you the best for those cute dogs!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE93 View Post
Just had to deal with this today actually. My mother's dog had a tumor that had grown around his colon. The vet said they could remove it but he wouldn't ever have a normal life afterwards. Not only that but he was riddled with tumors over his body already. Just got back home from putting hom down about an hour ago. RIP Buddy.
So sorry for your loss, I'm sure it was for the best.
      04-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #49
Maestro
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Okay this was a very long time ago, it was my sisters dog, she had dachshund and that seems to be a theme here.

One very could winter my mom was making bread, and the dough would not rise since the house was cold the furnace was barely keeping up. So mom decided to put the dough in the bread pan on top of the furnace vent with a towel over it to help the beard raise. Well mom forgot about it and a few hours later my sister notice her dog was not leaving its bed, She went over and picked up the dog and notice she was kind of bloated, tried to put her on the floor and her feet would not touch the floor she just rolled over. Could not figure out what was going on, then we notice the bread pan on the floor was half empty. The dog ate half the bread and expanded in her stomach. The poor dog could not move for days and she eventually shit it all out.

Then one day my day dropped horse radish on the floor and before my dad could reach down to pick it up, the dachshund ran from its bed and licked up, needless to say the dog then ran to its water bowl and emptied it, filled it and almost empty it again. Dad could not believe the dog eat it and was willing to bet the dog would not do that twice. So my dad put a little horse radish on a spoon and put up to the dogs nose to see what she would do, she ate it and then ran over and finished off the water.

It does not end there, I use to hunt all the time so I raise beagles and use to train them to hunt rabbits. One of the training technique was to find a recent road kill rabbit and put it on the rope and drag it through the yard and woods, then bring out the beagle and get them to find the scent and track it. Well after doing some training I left the rabbit on the rope next the garage and went inside. My sister let her dachshund out in the yard to go to the bathroom and the dog usually came right back and scratch the door to get back in. Well a little while later we notice no scratching and wonder what was up, the dog was just wondering the yard acting kind of weird so my sister went out and brought her in. Again we notice the dog was bloated and could not figure out what was going on no bread dough around this time. A few hours later we found out, the dog was throwing up fur and guts all over the place and crapping out fur for days afterward.

That dog would eat anything it found.

Last edited by Maestro; 04-22-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
      04-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #50
reggaedoggae
ReggaeDoggae
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 LBB BMW M2C - on order

I had a pit bull who got into the garbage, chewed an empty full size metal dog food can into shards and swallowed about 95% of them. I mean, a friggin metal can!! Luckily, he left enough shards on the carpet to give us a clue on what he had done otherwise we may not have been able to intervene and save him. He had to have emergency surgery and have his stomach and intestines opened to remove all the metal pieces. The vet showed us this handful of jagged metal pieces when we went to pick him up to take him home to recover. We are very fortunate!! He lived several more years to the ripe old age of 16 before we lost him in 2013.

Rest in peace Storm. I still miss you buddy!!
Appreciate 3
minn1913970.00
wrickem2101.00
      04-22-2019, 06:25 AM   #51
Marmugmotleocay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

Well , it looks like Leonidas is finally at the end. I'm taking him to the Vet again because we think he is having another pancreatic attack. He isn't eating , doesn't move and threw up bile and blood clots. This sucks so bad! My wife and I and his 5 year old Rottweiler brother Cayman are going to be lost without him. Pray for him.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #52
natedog7700
Captain
Rep

Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp

8 grand for one visit? Yikes, that's a good way to dent your bank account!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #53
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmugmotleocay View Post
Well , it looks like Leonidas is finally at the end. I'm taking him to the Vet again because we think he is having another pancreatic attack. He isn't eating , doesn't move and threw up bile and blood clots. This sucks so bad! My wife and I and his 5 year old Rottweiler brother Cayman are going to be lost without him. Pray for him.
So sorry to hear this, hope he pulls through!!!!
      04-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #54
Marmugmotleocay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

It's over. I had to put him down. They did a blood test and he was worse than before. His Pancreatitis was back and he was anemic. His white blood cell count was very high with possible cancer. The little guy just laid in my lap for 2 hours. I will miss him so much!
Appreciate 1