New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

But it can still be purchased by calling or visiting a Tesla Store.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/12/...came-harder-t/

You can also now downgrade from the Standard Plus to the Standard model for a refund after you purchase. This is because the Standard model is now simply a software restricted Standard Plus model with 10% less range, no access to the music streaming service, and heated seats disabled.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Call me when it gets a gauge cluster and a new bumper cover.
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11421.00
3798j11180.50
M370z173.50
      04-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Interesting to offer something that was long promised but do whatever possible to not actually sell it, especially a company like Tesla saying it can't be found online but you need to call them.

Then, surprised they get by with versions only being different because the software limits some of the features. Longer range, heated seats, music streaming - all just a software change away, no additional cost to Tesla to provide these options but you need to pay.
      04-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: No BMW for now

It seems they realized that the original plan to offer a less premium interior and remove some other content from the car was not the most efficient way to arrive at a $35k product. It is likely the case that the car was not going to be profitable when built that way, so they canned the entire thing and decided to "give away" the now-$39.5K Standard Plus model at that price to people who absolutely insist on it.

And when they had to back away from their radical cost-cutting plan to close almost every retail location and cut a huge slice of the workforce because it became a PR disaster (even for Tesla) threatening to alienate the same group of folks that had previously been lapping up everything the company fed to them, that was the nail in the coffin.

Even at the time they announced the Standard Range model in February, it was clear they were not excited about finally making good on the promise. The presence of the Standard Plus model at only a slightly higher price combined with the ongoing delays in production of the Standard model made it clear they were dragging their feet and trying to upsell people. If their claims of a 6:1 ratio of Standard Plus to Standard are to be believed, that strategy seems to have worked.

Either way, you can indeed get the car for $35K now and since it does not feature any unique parts as compared to products already available, it should be shipping soon. We’ll see. Along with the rest of the software-locked limitations, it doesn’t come with Autopilot, but that’s just fine for people who still like to drive themselves. The fact that they are taking such drastic measures to keep it a secret and try to convince us not to buy it makes it a bit more desirable to me. You are essentially buying below cost. And the fact that you can upgrade it later is icing on the cake.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The absence of a gauge cluster and a HUD make this is non starter for me. It would be a lot more attractive if they at least had a HUD option. I won't get a car anymore that makes me take my eyes off the road for simple checks like the speed limit, the speed I am driving and navigation directions.

I think this was a bad decision on Musk's part. He could have kept the base price but made a HUD an option.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh16953.50
M370z173.50
mkoesel7505.50
      04-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I guess getting the secret $35K standard model without Autopilot is a kin to Porsche's SportLicht option. Must purposefully de-content the car to get what you want.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I never got why they insist on setting a $35k base price anyway. I’m the farthest thing from a Tesla fan, but even I have to admit that the car has enough performance and content to be a good value at a much higher price.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I never got why they insist on setting a $35k base price anyway. I’m the farthest thing from a Tesla fan, but even I have to admit that the car has enough performance and content to be a good value at a much higher price.
At a gas price of $3.00/gal, any EV needs to be at or below $35,000 to make a payback case. There are numerous fuel-efficient petrol-powered cars for $15,000 less that are just as good or better than the Model 3 for most of the western hemisphere's private transportation needs. $15,000 of gasoline at $3.00/gal. yields about 150,000 miles of driving at 30 MPG.

That's why the Chevy Bolt was also price-targeted at $35,000 (including the $7,500 tax rebate).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      04-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At a gas price of $3.00/gal, any EV needs to be at or below $35,000 to make a payback case. There are numerous fuel-efficient petrol-powered cars for $15,000 less that are just as good or better than the Model 3 for most of the western hemisphere's private transportation needs. $15,000 of gasoline at $3.00/gal. yields about 150,000 miles of driving at 30 MPG.

That's why the Chevy Bolt was also price-targeted at $35,000 (including the $7,500 tax rebate).
Performance and content tho. This thing runs with GT2 RS’s and has stuff like autopilot and self parking at around $65k
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Retired

Quote:
Performance and content tho. This thing runs with GT2 RS’s and has stuff like autopilot and self parking at around $65k
From stop light to stop light or for extended sessions on a proper track? Last time I checked these cars still heavy as wild boars and overheating at the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
From stop light to stop light or for extended sessions on a proper track? Last time I checked these cars still heavy as wild boars and overheating at the track.
Lol, for like the first 3-4 seconds until they hit 60 mph. But that’s what Tesla makes a big deal about, isn’t it? And it seems to work with some people.

I hate them and refuse to defend them any further
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The average Honda Accord or Camry buyer is not going to track their daily-driver; they just want inexpensive personal transportation that fits within their household budget, which should be the purpose of the Standard Model 3. I would bet a majority of the 400,000+ placeholders funded Tesla with the mind they could by a $35K MSRP EV, which falls into the payback model that makes an EV economically viable to most buyers in the market.

Since 2013, I've run numerous financial models to see if an EV financially fits my 33,000 mile/year commute. Being a 30-year 3-series owner, I'd obviously prefer a RWD performance-oriented sedan, but there are several other ICE sport sedans available to fit the bill. See an example below:

I'm just trying to point out the Model 3 EV has market limitations.
Attached Images

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-14-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
David701567.00
Viffermike1753.00
      04-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Model 3 + 1 = BMW i4 worth looking at as an alternative?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
I just got an email earlier today from Tesla stated they are leasing Model 3s. The price was $759 or so a month for the long range with a $3k deposit. 36 months, 10,000 miles per year.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #15
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I just got an email earlier today from Tesla stated they are leasing Model 3s. The price was $759 or so a month for the long range with a $3k deposit. 36 months, 10,000 miles per year.
Yeah I heard about that. Doesn't seem that great of a deal and there's no purchase option.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16953.50
      04-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I never got why they insist on setting a $35k base price anyway.
It goes back to the promise made ten years ago to build an EV affordable enough for the average person to buy. The goal was set at $35k, and it was clear as years went by that potential customers (and investors) were holding them to it. At this point, though, it is largely symbolic because the cost of batteries and other EV tech is on a downward trajectory, and it is obvious that EVs will eventually become ubiquitous at all price points that ICE vehicles occupy today.

Quote:
I’m the farthest thing from a Tesla fan, but even I have to admit that the car has enough performance and content to be a good value at a much higher price.
There are certainly some ICE vehicles out there with $35k base prices that are less appealing. Furthermore, when you compare to the other 200+ mile range EVs available at a similar price such as the Kona Electric, Bolt, or Leaf Plus, it is obvious which vehicle is going to be most fun. Regardless of how the drive wheels get their power, if you’re shopping for a RWD sport sedan, you don't arbitrarily consider FWD hatchbacks with far less performance pedigree, especially at the same price point.

Still, I think they have the pricing right about where it should be. The product isn’t without quirks, and the corporation has made some questionable moves. For the non-enthusiast buyer who does not place performance at or near the top of their list of priorities in a vehicle, looking past those things may require some incentive. At the end of the day, Tesla needs sales from all types of buyers to hit the volume required to sustain some semblance of profitability.

It gets more interesting over the next few years when other automakers start to bring EVs to market that can match the Model 3 and Model Y in value. I think VW might be in the best position at this point to fire the first salvo. They’ve got a dedicated RWD-first EV architecture like Tesla does, with products debuting this year, and they are perhaps the furthest along of any major manufacturer in that regard. I like where Ford’s sitting too because they’ve got an exciting electric SUV coming next year - ahead of the Model Y - on their own EV platform, which could also spawn some other desirable vehicles (like a small RWD Lincoln sport sedan).
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #17
M370z
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 370z

Does it cost extra for the dirt, hair and other particles that come embedded in their crappy paint jobs?

I do find their lease program interesting though. It looks like they are setting the residuals at somewhere around 45%, which runs counter to the argument that Tesla's will somehow depreciate less than other cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M370z View Post
Does it cost extra for the dirt, hair and other particles that come embedded in their crappy paint jobs?

I do find their lease program interesting though. It looks like they are setting the residuals at somewhere around 45%, which runs counter to the argument that Tesla's will somehow depreciate less than other cars.
Yes the high monthly payment implies quicker depreciation. There are just too many of these cars being made so don't expect them to hold their value especially now that new ones have gotten cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #19
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
The average Honda Accord or Camry buyer is not going to track their daily-driver; they just want inexpensive personal transportation that fits within their household budget, which should be the purpose of the Standard Model 3. I would bet a majority of the 400,000+ placeholders funded Tesla with the mind they could by a $35K MSRP EV, which falls into the payback model that makes an EV economically viable to most buyers in the market.

Since 2013, I've run numerous financial models to see if an EV financially fits my 33,000 mile/year commute. Being a 30-year 3-series owner, I'd obviously prefer a RWD performance-oriented sedan, but there are several other ICE sport sedans available to fit the bill. See an example below:

I'm just trying to point out the Model 3 EV has market limitations.
Agree. Biggest problem for the Model 3 is it doesn't compete well with the mainstream sedans that are purchased for reliable basic, or above basic but not "luxury" transportation. Model 3 is looking for the luxury sedan buyer (with sedans not doing well overall) that will consider electric (many won't or can't because of drive or recharge issues) and isn't as worried about the overall cost for the vehicle. I think this will be tough market until the prices of the batteries come down. Get an electric car that competes well with the Accord/Camry and there would be a much bigger market.
      04-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
That's the thing I hate man. I don't understand how anyone can like having to look in the middle of the car arghhh
Appreciate 0