New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-08-2022, 01:29 PM   #1
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Any Macan owners here?

Wife is thinking of a new car and the Macan fits the bill. She loves the way it looks, especially in Chalk over Pebble Gray.
We found a 21 base model with a ton of options. Question to the owners, what is your experience with the car?
This would be for the base 2.0 (same motor as her GTI with what looks like higher boost?). Anything we should look out for?
      11-08-2022, 01:50 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

We were in the market for a Macan but ended up with the Cayenne. We drove several Macans though, personally I felt the base model should have been the S. Also I believe for the 2022 models they got rid of the buttons on the center console and went for the "glass" look like in the Cayennes. It's personal preference but I wasn't a huge fan of the buttons.

Also if this is your first porsche be prepared for the p tax on everything. Dealers want $500 for a basic oil change so be prepared to pay or diy or find a good indy. I found a local guy who specializes in p cars and does track prep etc. He charges just under $300.

But yeah if you are ok with that then IMO it's an awesome car. We bought ours CPO in January, apart from an issue right when we got it with the battery it has been solid.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5504.00
      11-08-2022, 02:02 PM   #3
madbeatz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Wife is thinking of a new car and the Macan fits the bill. She loves the way it looks, especially in Chalk over Pebble Gray.
We found a 21 base model with a ton of options. Question to the owners, what is your experience with the car?
This would be for the base 2.0 (same motor as her GTI with what looks like higher boost?). Anything we should look out for?
There was another post that might be worth reading through!

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1943008
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5504.00
      11-08-2022, 03:40 PM   #4
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

Quote:
Not an owner but the cars are usually fairly solid aside from a few common issues. Premature water pump failures are usually the biggest. I believe a lot of people also had transfer case issues, which Porsche may have recalled or extended warranties for, but would have to double check.

Here's an article on some common issues on the 2.0T EA888 Gen 3 engine. Common issues, tips and tricks for the 2.0t EA888 Gen 3 engine
Bumpinjeep5504.00
      11-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

The porsche tax is real, look for a 2 yr old Stelvio with low miles and save a fortune. Looks sexier, goes like stink in D mode and handles nearly as well as the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 04:59 PM   #6
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
It depends on what you expect and want from the car.

If it is just a car to get you from point A to point B, then the base Macan is more than enough. One of the problems with the V6 in the S and GTS is that they are gas hungry in a lot of traffic conditions. My 2004 Jetta GLI had about the same gas mileage range as my current Macan GTS (and 17 Macan S). Base Macan and Macan T are better with mileage but the engine isn't exciting and doesn't really fit the car. In sport mode, base Macan and T do feel FAR better. The updated Macan (the most recent update, which is like the 2nd refresh at this point) makes the engine feel a bit more natural but it is still the corporate VW 4 popper so don't expect an engine like that to properly carry a SUV that is 4,000+ lbs.

If this is mainly your wifey's car then it is more than enough. She probably won't care for speed and how quick the car can go unlike most of us who may complain about it. The Macan, compared to the X3 M40i and X3M isn't fast but it is built solid like a rock, unlike the X4 M40i/X3M that may feel too light and fragile for some.

Macan is popular because there is one thing about a Macan that almost everyone overlooks. Like the Cayenne, Macan (and all its trims) are AWD by default with rear wheel bias that works completely hidden most of the time. Macan is also very solidly built and you can feel it when you drive it, you just feel safe in it. If the Macan you saw has the PASM, then you will see very quickly why these SUVs from Porsche are so well received. Porsche's PASM changes the car very noticeably. Meaning, if you are to get a Macan, regardless of which trim you go for, it needs to have the Porsche PASM on it, you won't regret it.
Bumpinjeep5504.00
      11-08-2022, 06:38 PM   #7
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
If you are leasing and returning, likely nothing to worry about problem-wise.

If contemplating owning long term, I am not a fan of the PDK. Not produced in large numbers compared with standard auto boxes and has had some problems over the years. Transfer case on the Macan seems to be a problem that VW hasn't solved after several years.

The 2.0 engine seems to have some reasonable history behind it. But with higher boost it may (or may not) present new issues. MB is having a terrible go with four bangers now and in recent years; one issue is thought to be high specific output which means hot tune and high boost.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5504.00
      11-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #8
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The porsche tax is real, look for a 2 yr old Stelvio with low miles and save a fortune. Looks sexier, goes like stink in D mode and handles nearly as well as the Porsche.
Yeah, but how reliable is it compared to a 2.0 VW has been making for years?

TO OP, I owned a 2015 Macan S and the main issue with the V6 was leaky timing cover. Mine was done by previous owner (warranty) and I had it up to 85K miles and never an issue. I can safely say it was the best all around car I have ever owned. I could not believe how quiet the cabin was even at higher speeds, it handled so well, I think it would give my E93 M3 a run for its money. The car pulled necks, it was white on red and the leather quality was unbeatable. I plan to jump into another Macan, probably the 2.0 for daily reliability. Not to mention my wife absolutely loved that car.
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5504.00
      11-09-2022, 07:50 AM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
Yeah, but how reliable is it compared to a 2.0 VW has been making for years?
It's plenty reliable, the 2T has been around for ages and the electrical gremlins were ironed out years ago.

Honestly you'd keep a solid $30K in your pocket and still have something unique and fun. Plus the screen is integrated into the dash, absolutely loathe the tacked on ipad look.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's plenty reliable, the 2T has been around for ages and the electrical gremlins were ironed out years ago.

Honestly you'd keep a solid $30K in your pocket and still have something unique and fun. Plus the screen is integrated into the dash, absolutely loathe the tacked on ipad look.
The heart wants what it wants.

When we decided to get an SUV the ONLY option was really a Macan or Cayenne. Now if it had merely been a logical and financial decision we would have ended up with a RAV4 or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 01:13 PM   #11
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I get it, I get it. Long way from a RAV4 to a Stelvio though lol
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 01:40 PM   #12
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 718 Cayman

The Macan is fantastic. The comfort of an SUV with better handling than most sport sedans. The back seat is fairly tight for adults, but other than that is a great choice.
Appreciate 1
Llarry15685.00
      11-09-2022, 01:44 PM   #13
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

I had a Macan GTS as a daily for a year and it was one of the best daily drivers I've ever had. Very comfortable, fast enough but not "fast" fast, the air suspension was awesome, good handling for an SUV. Sold it for $41k, don't think you can find a better SUV for the price of a used one. Obviously new ones are closer to $100k for a GTS and $80k-ish for an S.

I've also had the base model as a loaner from the dealer and there is a clear difference in the feel of the car. The seats sucked compared to the 14-ways in the GTS, it didn't have the full leather dash, and the 2.0 had ok pickup for what it is but the V6 is better. I also personally prefer the styling of the previous gen Macan to the newer one, but that's just me...not a fan of the piano black haptic feedback kind of buttons.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #14
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I get it, I get it. Long way from a RAV4 to a Stelvio though lol
I'm sure the Stelvio is a fine vehicle, but when the heart craves a German stallion an Italian snake ain't gonna cut it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 04:31 PM   #15
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate it. Alfisti, the wife wants what she wants, I don't think a Stelvio is on her radar. Besides, I would have a hard time buying an Alfa outside of a Quad variant.
      11-09-2022, 04:50 PM   #16
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
I drove the base Macan and was prepared to buy new but then drove a CPO Turbo and ended up getting that. I got a sweet deal on a Cayenne Turbo so ended up swapping but honestly I would have been happy in the base Macan. The PDK is what makes the Macan special and turns a somewhat average (but good) motor into a superstar. It always amazed me how well it handled especially as a CUV. It drove as good as my 135is did.

Also, just make sure you find a good independent VAG/Porsche shop. You will save a lot of money on service and get as good, if not better, service.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5504.00
      11-09-2022, 06:08 PM   #17
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
class action lawsuit for water leaks under the windshield. My friend is suing P. Dealer had the car 3 times and did not fix it then told her not to park the car in the rain. Stay away is my advice.

kinda like this

https://pressreleases.responsesource...che-nightmare/

P has known about this issue for years yet not fixing it!!
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5504.00
      11-09-2022, 06:48 PM   #18
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
class action lawsuit for water leaks under the windshield. My friend is suing P. Dealer had the car 3 times and did not fix it then told her not to park the car in the rain. Stay away is my advice.

kinda like this

What year is the Macan? I'm wondering if this was an issue with early cars.
      11-09-2022, 07:00 PM   #19
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post

kinda like this

What year is the Macan? I'm wondering if this was an issue with early cars.
2020 … look up online many reports and still not fixed

also look into differential noise. my bro sold his last year after 20k mi it was humming at speed and dealer said it was normal
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 10:49 PM   #20
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I race against a GTS and it's damn impressive in everything. That said, still an SUV. Not sure what the draw is...making short people feel taller?
      11-10-2022, 01:53 AM   #21
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
I race against a GTS and it's damn impressive in everything. That said, still an SUV. Not sure what the draw is...making short people feel taller?
Pretty comfortable sporty luxurious way to drive a Porsche without spending $150k on a Taycan or Panamera. That seems like a pretty good draw.
Appreciate 3
lakefront560.50
Bumpinjeep5504.00
gatorfast4994.50
      11-10-2022, 06:48 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
We were in the market for a Macan but ended up with the Cayenne. We drove several Macans though, personally I felt the base model should have been the S. Also I believe for the 2022 models they got rid of the buttons on the center console and went for the "glass" look like in the Cayennes. It's personal preference but I wasn't a huge fan of the buttons.

Also if this is your first porsche be prepared for the p tax on everything. Dealers want $500 for a basic oil change so be prepared to pay or diy or find a good indy. I found a local guy who specializes in p cars and does track prep etc. He charges just under $300.

But yeah if you are ok with that then IMO it's an awesome car. We bought ours CPO in January, apart from an issue right when we got it with the battery it has been solid.
$300 - $500 for an oil change on a VW motor? LOL.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0