New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #177
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Anyway, it's not going to happen in 7 years. So you're making an assumption that a HUGE percentage of the ICE cars on the road today are going where? Decommissioned? Crushed? Not allowed on the road by law? Sorry bud ain't happening...it's inevitable that it will happen, but not in the time you think it will. Come back in 7 years to tell me I'm wrong, until then go back to your spank bank of "commute kills" and enjoy the afternoon.
Exactly. Google searches of available data say there are 275 million registered cars in the US right now, and about 2.3 million of them are EV's. EV's are less than 1% That's your current starting point.

It's going to take a long time for those 275M cars to run out their remaining lives and become decommissioned. Even if we went cold turkey on ICE sales right now, that fact doesn't change. Add to that that ICE sales are still leading EV's by more than 13:1 will prolong that process.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      12-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #178
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep

Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Anyway, it's not going to happen in 7 years. So you're making an assumption that a HUGE percentage of the ICE cars on the road today are going where? Decommissioned? Crushed? Not allowed on the road by law? Sorry bud ain't happening...it's inevitable that it will happen, but not in the time you think it will. Come back in 7 years to tell me I'm wrong, until then go back to your spank bank of "commute kills" and enjoy the afternoon.
Didn't say ICE cars, new or used, will be banned or not allowed by law at 2030. Again you're reaching just to have anything to say in this dicussion.

I am saying the totality of EV's on the road will be at 50% by 2030 in my opinion. Give or take a year or 2. That's why the gas ban is 2035. It gives people time to either get on board, or dig into the used ICE market and find your forever ICE car.

Now post 2035 will the govt ban the usage of ICE cars? I actually wouldn't doubt it. Not in the sense that if they catch you you're going to jail. But probably a heavy mileage restriction, similar to leasing a car. Basically ICE will be for recreational purposes. You want to drive your ICE car post 2035? Ok pay a fee. How much? Depends. You want 5k miles a year, pay this amount. You want 10k miles a year, pay this amount.

This is the inevitable and i already agreed this is more about politics than anything else. I hate talking about politics.

But in this case, that's going to win. And that's what i'm preaching.

Let's have fun in 7 years
      12-04-2022, 12:49 PM   #179
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Didn't say ICE cars, new or used, will be banned or not allowed by law at 2030. Again you're reaching just to have anything to say in this dicussion.

I am saying the totality of EV's on the road will be at 50% by 2030 in my opinion. Give or take a year or 2. That's why the gas ban is 2035. It gives people time to either get on board, or dig into the used ICE market and find your forever ICE car.

Now post 2035 will the govt ban the usage of ICE cars? I actually wouldn't doubt it. Not in the sense that if they catch you you're going to jail. But probably a heavy mileage restriction, similar to leasing a car. Basically ICE will be for recreational purposes. You want to drive your ICE car post 2035? Ok pay a fee. How much? Depends. You want 5k miles a year, pay this amount. You want 10k miles a year, pay this amount.

This is the inevitable and i already agreed this is more about politics than anything else. I hate talking about politics.

But in this case, that's going to win. And that's what i'm preaching.

Let's have fun in 7 years
Fair enough, it's just your opinion as you stated. I've given mine. Come back in 7 years and we'll talk. Hopefully your hands won't be too sticky to type.
      12-04-2022, 12:54 PM   #180
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I am saying the totality of EV's on the road will be at 50% by 2030 in my opinion. Give or take a year or 2.
So you are planning to displace and dispose of more than half of 275 million cars in the next ~7 years? (275/2)/7= 19.64 million

You would need to produce 19.64 million EV's a year, every year, and have zero failures, and have zero new ICE's built in that same time. Neither of those things will happen. Neither of them can happen.

That 19.6 million figure is more than total annual sales of all new cars in the US. Even if 100% of all new sales were EV's, you still couldn't hit that target.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5301.50
      12-04-2022, 01:03 PM   #181
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fair enough, it's just your opinion as you stated. I've given mine. Come back in 7 years and we'll talk. Hopefully your hands won't be too sticky to type.
Finally.

That's all that this is. A discussion of opinions. It favors me but hey, maybe they might "push" the EV transition further. But i doubt it.

We're in the hybrid phase. Next stop? Full EV. It's coming. 2030 we will see that "gigantic" swing.

Also this is a cool video.

And people think this won't advance even farther in 7 years? It won't replace 100% of cars, but it's going to make everyone say oh shit this is really happening.
      12-04-2022, 01:14 PM   #182
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Finally.
Also this is a cool video.

And people think this won't advance even farther in 7 years? It won't replace 100% of cars, but it's going to make everyone say oh shit this is really happening.
Ditching Radar and relying on video input only is a disaster waiting to happen. Oh wait, disaster has already happened, and can be reproduced.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 01:16 PM   #183
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M4

All of this speculation is based on the U.S. and EU. Do you really think the rest of the planet is even thinking about EVs. I would think there will be a lot of ice vehicles still being driven in the second half of this century.

At some point I think the automotive manufacturers will realize this also. Only question is which ones will want to supply this market.

As someone that deals with the utilities industry, I would say that it will take decades to change the infrastructure from petroleum to electricity.

Right now Texas and California are having problems to supply the demand of current electrical grid and as of right now there's no current plan to build new power plants in Texas.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1605.00
      12-04-2022, 01:30 PM   #184
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono63 View Post

As someone that deals with the utilities industry, I would say that it will take decades to change the infrastructure from petroleum to electricity.

Right now Texas and California are having problems to supply the demand of current electrical grid and as of right now there's no current plan to build new power plants in Texas.

Even if they broke ground on all the new production plants today, it will take decades to bring the supply side in line with these plans to add all this EV load. "Built it and they will come" does not work with critical infrastructure.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 02:10 PM   #185
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono63 View Post
All of this speculation is based on the U.S. and EU. Do you really think the rest of the planet is even thinking about EVs. I would think there will be a lot of ice vehicles still being driven in the second half of this century.

At some point I think the automotive manufacturers will realize this also. Only question is which ones will want to supply this market.

That's all it takes for something to be set in stone. EU and america. EU being more strict.

Car makers have already made "promises". Again this is not looking good for ICE lovers. The only thing you guys are banking on, is that when the next person goes in office, things get reversed or backed out. Doubt it but that's your only chance.

Until then, the plan is laid out (i almost put "the plaid" is out LOL).

2030 is still far away so there's still time to make improvements to make this transition work. Again 2030 does not mean total death of ICE. Just means there's a new growth of EV. And that it will have completely surpassed ICE at that point.
      12-04-2022, 02:50 PM   #186
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List

Future is looking cool!
      12-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #187
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Beautiful car, but that's to be expected from Maserati. But it's a Grand Touring car with 200 mile range? Thats not all that "Grand" for $245K USD.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
Todd0131379.50
      12-04-2022, 08:16 PM   #188
kyriian
Captain
Rep

Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
That's all it takes for something to be set in stone. EU and america. EU being more strict.

Car makers have already made "promises". Again this is not looking good for ICE lovers. The only thing you guys are banking on, is that when the next person goes in office, things get reversed or backed out. Doubt it but that's your only chance.

Until then, the plan is laid out (i almost put "the plaid" is out LOL).

2030 is still far away so there's still time to make improvements to make this transition work. Again 2030 does not mean total death of ICE. Just means there's a new growth of EV. And that it will have completely surpassed ICE at that point.
It's hilarious that you think if the opposite party, whoever the nominee will be, takes office won't try to reverse the legacy of the previous guy. At times when there is logic and reasoning and modicum of common-sense approach to BOTH parties sure, but that's not the case today. Judging by the dysfunction of the American politics right now and the presumed frontrunners of the opposite party, that'd literally be job#1 for Florida man, or the Orange Teflon... thing, just to 'stick it to the libs' and their 'green agenda'

Hell we in Canada, if maple syrup version of Biden is voted out, the first thing our PC (Republican for you Americans, just with more maple syrup), will do is reverse, or at best delay the banning of ICE cars. Because that's what their base in Oil country Canada and the mecca of their support will want.

Anyways, this is getting political, which this topic absolutely will be, and i know the mods don't like that.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 09:40 AM   #189
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep

Drives: Z3, E46, G80

EVs are black, not green tech. We could talk about the strip mining and the pre-production dirtiness of EV manufacturing, but everyone has heard that before. Or maybe not. That alone is a huge black mark.
I submit a modern ICE engine is more efficient with the fuel that it burns turning it to usable
Power for the road.
Here comes the run on sentence!
By the time a F.F. power plant generates electricity, sends that electricity over power lines to homes, then through a charger to the EV, power conversion is questionable for efficiency! Then— it sits in the battery, while it degrades sitting there, finally gets used on the road in a car that is NOT designed for efficiency as in the case of Tesla. It is designed for speed and power and acceleration, which is even less power-efficient! Therefore, EVs are burning up the equivalent fossil fuel faster than ice engines. Never mind that it's probably natural gas – it could be coal — Vs. gasoline.

Read it and weep EV apologists. You are being seduced with Misinformation.

Think about it… everyone should question the efficiency of it .
Not to mention the lie about reduced emissions.
Flame suit on — all the experts are going to chime in next.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13515.00
      12-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #190
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

How is the electricity produced, to power these electric vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 02:51 PM   #191
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
In the US, it's about 60% fossil fuel (coal, NG, and other hydrocarbon) and the remainder wind, solar, and hydro. I think this article sheds the most factual light on the current environmental advantages and disadvantages of EVs in the US.

https://climate.mit.edu/ask-mit/are-...s-powered-cars

The only thing I really question is the CO2 lifecycle of emissions of a gas car vs EV. There are still a bunch of old, heavy polluter gas cars on the road. I feel like the comparison really should focus on new gasoline car life cycle averages and same size vehicles, for example 2022 Tesla Model 3 vs gasoline 2022 Camry. By doing that, the data would be more comparable and useful. The way the referenced data in the article was generated was that all gasoline cars currently on the road were lumped together vs hybrid and EVs. EVs and hybrids are a much newer generation of car. A 2001 Malibu creates massively more emissions than a 2022 Malibu.
      12-05-2022, 03:55 PM   #192
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
It still ends up significantly cleaner and more efficient to power an EV by common fossil fuel power, like gas-turbines. Especially because modern gas turbines are around 65% efficient. The limitation on efficiency of ICE engines just makes it impractical to try and match this. TLDR: It's still more efficient, not even considering renewable resources. You might consider the fact that you have to have all these gas stations all over, they have to have tanks, pumps, have to truck fuel around all over the place from distribution centers, the trucks have to be built, and so on. Sure, electrical infrastructure is something too and needs maintenance...but again, don't disregard the absolutely giant process of transporting fuel to the end point.

Whatabout nuts.
Attached Images

12-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #193
Froz3n_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Wake me up when the EV's can charge in 5 minutes from empty to full, then we can talk.

Until then, you can keep the EV's. All I hear is M3P's burning motors, battery degradation... Lets not get into build quality because that would require its own thread. But it doesn't stop with M3P's, its across the range for the Teslas. I can't speak for other brands, since there aren't many on the road (as Teslas), but I am sure it will eventually show its ugly head as well.

Has anyone thought about what happens to the battery packs when they're obsolete or won't charge to proper levels to power the car... There are so many issues the way the EV's pf our age are being rolled out its sickening. Its not about environmental, etc, the push is that its CHEAPER than gas and you can SAVE money by going EV. Thats what sells it, but we can all debate on every single point.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13515.00
      12-05-2022, 04:53 PM   #194
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep

Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Whatabout nuts.[/QUOTE]

What about walnuts to clean your "DI intake"

😜
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #195
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

so much morality projected onto others in topics like this. stay in your lane folks. theres no way electrics aren't the future. but why get so righteous about it now when clearly its not happening in our lifetimes.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
KRS_SN13515.00
      12-06-2022, 11:24 AM   #196
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froz3n_M View Post
Wake me up when the EV's can charge in 5 minutes from empty to full, then we can talk.

Until then, you can keep the EV's. All I hear is M3P's burning motors, battery degradation... Lets not get into build quality because that would require its own thread. But it doesn't stop with M3P's, its across the range for the Teslas. I can't speak for other brands, since there aren't many on the road (as Teslas), but I am sure it will eventually show its ugly head as well.

Has anyone thought about what happens to the battery packs when they're obsolete or won't charge to proper levels to power the car... There are so many issues the way the EV's pf our age are being rolled out its sickening. Its not about environmental, etc, the push is that its CHEAPER than gas and you can SAVE money by going EV. Thats what sells it, but we can all debate on every single point.
That’s the issue with the argument you guys have.

TESLA IS NOT THE ONLY EV CAR MAKER ANYMORE LOL.

This is exactly why i said by 2030 you will see that “gigantic” swing. Because every car maker is making them now, and pumping them out like young couples having babies.
      12-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #197
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
That’s the issue with the argument you guys have.

TESLA IS NOT THE ONLY EV CAR MAKER ANYMORE LOL.

This is exactly why i said by 2030 you will see that “gigantic” swing. Because every car maker is making them now, and pumping them out like young couples having babies.
i guess TSLA and RIVAN TO THE MOON. huuuuggge gigantic returns

its also funny how we argue about things like this on bimmerpost, while most people are just struggling to make ends meet
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #198
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Exactly, and why $60K EVs are not going to sell in droves as some people believe they will. The EV has to get into the $35K price range for people to consider moving from ICE. While there is possible savings on fuel and total cost of ownership, the charging and range anxiety are real issues for lower-income people. Add to that most people's experience with rechargeable batteries extends to small batteries, their phone, and iPod, all of which eventually die and make the device useless, extrapolating that to an expensive automobile tightens one's buttocks. The 2nd tier ownership model is even harder to overcome because used car ownership comes with repair and refurbishment costs that are unknown at this point with high-mileage battery degradation.

But it'll all get solved come December 31, 2029. Lol.
In addition to the vehicle purchase, you have to spend $4-5k to install a quick charger and 240v service at your home to charge your EV.

Many people also seem to think it's largely free to charge an EV. In reality, it's anywhere from $11-100 depending on the vehicle's battery size and if it's being charged at home or at a charging station. A Hummer EV can cost a whopping $80-100 to charge.

The cost to service and repair an EV drivetrain can be astronomical, largely because there a very few serviceable parts, especially the motor. If you have a motor issue on a used, out of warranty EV, you might as well dump the car.
chad86tsi1605.00
Efthreeoh17303.00