New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #155
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Here's my front garden from last Summers with 2 annuals with 1 perennial in there:

Here it is currently with only Pansies/annual from the Fall/Winter:

I get my $$$ worth from both. These pansies were planted @ December and they are still going strong until we hit regular 90's in June at which time I'll plant my Summer annuals again that will go until a hard freeze comes.
bosstones1144.00
      04-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #156
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Thanks! Well, I love flowers! And I have resigned to the fat that, my yard and garden are an investment that I gladly spend on to enjoy the beautiful colors that only annuals can give. A few hundred a year for nice vibrant colors are well worth it for me. I did plant one perennial in my front garden last summer and they are just starting to leaf up. I'm anxious to see how they will bloom again...
I see! the only annuals we buy are for the 2 big containers out by the front door. not sure what were going to put in them this year. I do notice that annuals do have better color and foliage. any go to favorites you have or recommend? thanks!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #157
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

My wife has commented now....

"A bunch of car people aren't just into cars.....they are actually very proud of their gardens and yards."

I think she imagines all of us as a bunch of grease monkeys turning wrenches on our cars in the spare time......I could only wish
Appreciate 2
bosstones1144.00
      04-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #158
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I see! the only annuals we buy are for the 2 big containers out by the front door. not sure what were going to put in them this year. I do notice that annuals do have better color and foliage. any go to favorites you have or recommend? thanks!
Try giving geraniums a look.
      04-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #159
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Just got done planting seedlings in the front. Hoping these take off honestly. I love the thought of butterflys and bees spending their time doing nature stuff.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #160
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

Quote:
I remember the first time I saw moths flying out of the grass I was like "wtf is that?" but yes the worms they leave behind is what starts to eat away at the roots of the grass causing those brown patches.

DITCH the lawn care service and DIY! you'll save money and it's not that hard to do. to me all they really do is band aid the situation just to get you thinking they know what they're doing. that 30-0-4 is crazy high nitrogen and yeah that will get the grass to grow crazy but not really fix the problem. that's why most Lawn Youtubers will preach about not pushing too much nitrogen early spring as you want the grass to develop good root depth before top. have you looked into the NEXT Products? I use RGS and Humic12. really good stuff! as far as the bare spots depending on the grass you have some grasses don't fill in bare spots as many grasses don't have I think they're called rhizomes? so you're better off just buying some grass seeds that match what you have already and overseed that area with some good soil to seed contact. but you will have to keep watering them for whatever germination period for those seed types.
I agree so I'm glad someone else does as well (wrt the 30-0-4). They made a point of stressing "NO phosphorus" after giving me the N-P-K ratio and it left me puzzled as to why. Phosphorus, per my understanding, is what helps w/ root dev and this is the time that grass is in that phase. The nitrogen is more for leaf dev and greening but, as you said, not really fix the problem.

I created a little spreadsheet calculator to figure out how much of a fert I'd need to buy for various application rates/pound-ages. I can just enter in N-P-K ratio, bag lbs, and bag cost and it'll do math for me so I know how many bags to buy (or compare vs another product).

I've heard of the N-ext products and seen the prices (lol). I get a bit skeptical of YT personalities pushing products at times if I can't find much about it in the wilds of the internet. You never know what the YT-ers get behind the scenes. I've started reading of people mixing their own brews of similar concoctions as well as people being able to order from GCF at a fair discount compared to going through LCN. Not sure which way to go although I would like to try humic acid to help w/ the clay soil in my parts.

Here's one homebrew link I found:
https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?...d=9&Itemid=117

I'm not totally sure what grass I have (Chicagoland). It may one or a mix of: Kentucky blue grass, tall or fine fescue, and possibly a little perennial rye mixed in. It seems the blue grass is most common.
      04-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #161
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
My wife has commented now....

"A bunch of car people aren't just into cars.....they are actually very proud of their gardens and yards."

I think she imagines all of us as a bunch of grease monkeys turning wrenches on our cars in the spare time......I could only wish
Give her a quick glance across the forums and she'll see what a wide ranging mix of pretentious bastards we all are (politics, firearms, jeans, colognes, etc...). Bonus points if you find the old thread where Spool thought he was going to die from.....some bad food he ate.
      04-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #162
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I agree so I'm glad someone else does as well (wrt the 30-0-4). They made a point of stressing "NO phosphorus" after giving me the N-P-K ratio and it left me puzzled as to why. Phosphorus, per my understanding, is what helps w/ root dev and this is the time that grass is in that phase. The nitrogen is more for leaf dev and greening but, as you said, not really fix the problem.

I created a little spreadsheet calculator to figure out how much of a fert I'd need to buy for various application rates/pound-ages. I can just enter in N-P-K ratio, bag lbs, and bag cost and it'll do math for me so I know how many bags to buy (or compare vs another product).

I've heard of the N-ext products and seen the prices (lol). I get a bit skeptical of YT personalities pushing products at times if I can't find much about it in the wilds of the internet. You never know what the YT-ers get behind the scenes. I've started reading of people mixing their own brews of similar concoctions as well as people being able to order from GCF at a fair discount compared to going through LCN. Not sure which way to go although I would like to try humic acid to help w/ the clay soil in my parts.

Here's one homebrew link I found:
https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?...#38;Itemid=117

I'm not totally sure what grass I have (Chicagoland). It may one or a mix of: Kentucky blue grass, tall or fine fescue, and possibly a little perennial rye mixed in. It seems the blue grass is most common.
Phosphorus has been blamed for causing problems in lakes and other bodies of water because of run off from farms and landscapes. In particular, it has been shown to promote algae and has actually been banned from fertilizer in some locales. Nevertheless, most people have no idea and buy what the store sells, and even with bans, products with P are still sold. As more people have learned about it, I suspect demand has increased for zero phosphorus fertilizers, which would explain why it was marketed that way to you. (I only know a little because it is constantly in the news here due to Lake Okeechobee.) If you google "fertilizer with phosphorus runoff" there is plenty more to read if interested.

All that said, I don't disagree with what you said about it. I try to use a fertilizer with low (but not zero) P. Nitrogen runoff also isn't a good thing. I just try to be conscious of it and not overdo fertilizing, while maintaining a decent landscape. I do feel that doing it myself allows far greater control that whatever a service might use.
bosstones1144.00
      04-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #163
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Here's what I use for root development in replacement for K in N-P (K). RGS and it's all science and have been proven. I've used this last year along with the Humic12 and my lawn looks healthier and greener than most lawns in my neighborhood. when I first moved in it was full of weeds and what not and the lawn was in pretty bad shape since the previous owner moved out 1 year before and the lawn has been sitting with no fertilizer or amendments and has never been watered except whatever rain they had that year.

and here's the info for the Humic12

here's my lawn from last year
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410879.00
bosstones1144.00
      04-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #164
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

lsturbointeg what grass do you have?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #165
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lsturbointeg what grass do you have?
I have Tall Fescue. not sure what variety?

I did pickup the edger lawn attachment for my Ryobi. i'm tired of my grass creeping over into the sidewalk but never got around to doing this last year.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #166
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Phosphorus has been blamed for causing problems in lakes and other bodies of water because of run off from farms and landscapes. In particular, it has been shown to promote algae and has actually been banned from fertilizer in some locales. Nevertheless, most people have no idea and buy what the store sells, and even with bans, products with P are still sold. As more people have learned about it, I suspect demand has increased for zero phosphorus fertilizers, which would explain why it was marketed that way to you. (I only know a little because it is constantly in the news here due to Lake Okeechobee.) If you google "fertilizer with phosphorus runoff" there is plenty more to read if interested.

All that said, I don't disagree with what you said about it. I try to use a fertilizer with low (but not zero) P. Nitrogen runoff also isn't a good thing. I just try to be conscious of it and not overdo fertilizing, while maintaining a decent landscape. I do feel that doing it myself allows far greater control that whatever a service might use.
True enough and, like you said, nitrogen run off is also a thing. The fert types I looked at (mostly milo and ringer but also starting to see what a local landscaping equipment place sells) all had small enough quantity of to start with. I am a fan of moderation overall and don't want to get my lawn dependent on needing fert applications continually. That's part of looking to move away from the lawn care companies. As with yourself, taking over it (and mowing) will allow for greater control. I'll likely be springing for a lawn tractor by the end of the month as well. At least then I'm only re-sowing my own weeds over my own lawn and not someone else's.
      04-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #167
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True enough and, like you said, nitrogen run off is also a thing. The fert types I looked at (mostly milo and ringer but also starting to see what a local landscaping equipment place sells) all had small enough quantity of to start with. I am a fan of moderation overall and don't want to get my lawn dependent on needing fert applications continually.
i'm skipping Milo this year I think and trying other stuff. they up'd their price to almost $15 a bag from $12.84. i'm going to keep it pretty simple this year as I got sucked into all the Youtubers with their charts and crap.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      04-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #168
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i'm skipping Milo this year I think and trying other stuff. they up'd their price to almost $15 a bag from $12.84. i'm going to keep it pretty simple this year as I got sucked into all the Youtubers with their charts and crap.
Yeah, price is up while bag weight is down 4 lbs. I didn't do the match but I don't think the extra N is a credible consideration for both. Still cheaper than Ringer, though. In general, the price bump isn't too bad by me. I couldn't find it for less than $13-14/bag before.

I was going to check out Russo Power Equipment next weekend to see what they sell for fert and seed. They sells tons of toys for landscaping companies, prosumers, and average joe's. That includes seed, fert, weed control, etc... Bought my string trimmer there and just treated myself to a backpack leaf blower. This place may prove dangerous.
      04-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #169
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, price is up while bag weight is down 4 lbs. I didn't do the match but I don't think the extra N is a credible consideration for both. Still cheaper than Ringer, though. In general, the price bump isn't too bad by me. I couldn't find it for less than $13-14/bag before.

I was going to check out Russo Power Equipment next weekend to see what they sell for fert and seed. They sells tons of toys for landscaping companies, prosumers, and average joe's. That includes seed, fert, weed control, etc... Bought my string trimmer there and just treated myself to a backpack leaf blower. This place may prove dangerous.
i'm lookin' at what Menard's carry. actually if you watch Allyn Hayne's "The Lawn Care Nut" he Jake both looked at this other organic product. it was like $10 a bag so I might check that out.

LOL equipment can get out of control but I figure it's better in the long run than manual labor. I didn't have a dethatcher last year and my neighbor was friendly enough to run a few passes over my lawn with his. well it took me, the wife and my boys all freakin day to pickup all that thatch by hand with a bunch of hand rakes. on a 1/2 acre that was almost 30 full size bags I had to get rid of. never gonna do that again so i'm starting to buy stuff to make any job easier from aerating, dethatching and picking up leaves lol! I am changing out my hand pump back pack sprayer to a battery operated sprayer as my right arm was getting bigger than the left with all the pumping I had to do when I was spraying down for weeds and applying my fertilization of RGS and Humic12
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #170
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

wife recently finished this in the backyard
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #171
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Picture isn't clear to zoom in. What kind of veggies is she growing?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #172
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Tulips are getting ready to bloom!

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #173
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Quote:
Picture isn't clear to zoom in. What kind of veggies is she growing?
Watermelon, Peppers, Eggplant, Bush Beans, Tomatoes, Basil, Chives, Carrots, and Strawberries.

They are all little babies right now.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #174
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I put in tomatoes (not from seed) peas, watermelon, jalapenos, this weekend. This to accompany my various lettuce, greens, radish, Brussels that are already in the vegies

My front yard is turning brown, no more free water falling out of the sky I spent a few gallons last night at dusk, so the water popo couldn't see and it would have a chance to soak in.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #175
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Watermelon, Peppers, Eggplant, Bush Beans, Tomatoes, Basil, Chives, Carrots, and Strawberries.

Sweet! I wanted to do some raised beds and plant some vegetables but our HOA won't allow us to. Not really sure why that is?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #176
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sweet! I wanted to do some raised beds and plant some vegetables but our HOA won't allow us to. Not really sure why that is?
Maybe to avoid attracting pests or avoid people turning full yards into agriculture? Personally, I'd rather see a garden in my neighbor's yard than a trampoline that is never used or something else a hurricane can pick up and blow into my house or pool.

What about a loophole for few plants in pots on the back patio?