New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Ireland

My wife and I will be in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland for 8 days next month. If you know the area, please share some great drives, cool B&Bs, amazing pubs or restaurants, and not-to-miss sites.

I'm renting a car at DUB and we have made zero reservations yet. I'm hoping to wing it and make the next night's reservation the day before so if we want to stay an additional day somewhere we are not constrained.

I've rented a manual transmission VW Passat and I'm looking forward to that experience. I've got plenty of right hand steering experience in England, Scotland, and New Zealand.

We've been wanting to visit this part of the world for a long time and its time!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

The West!! Maybe take the train from Dublin to Cork City and rent a car there. Or just make the drive over.

The Dingle, Beara and Kerry Peninsulas are all spectacular. I like Dingle the most. Go to the Cliffs of Moher and the nearby town of Doolin where there is good music in the pubs at night. Also check out the Burren.

Don't know how much time it's worth to stay in Cork City if you have limited time. County Cork is beautiful - Kinsale is nice and has good restaurants (as matter of fact there are a lot of very good restaurants in the West).

Drink Murphys or Beamish - not that Dublin stuff that is so popular. I think the only Beamish brewery is still in Cork.
      04-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
The West!! Maybe take the train from Dublin to Cork City and rent a car there. Or just make the drive over.

The Dingle, Beara and Kerry Peninsulas are all spectacular. I like Dingle the most. Go to the Cliffs of Moher and the nearby town of Doolin where there is good music in the pubs at night. Also check out the Burren.

Don't know how much time it's worth to stay in Cork City if you have limited time. County Cork is beautiful - Kinsale is nice and has good restaurants (as matter of fact there are a lot of very good restaurants in the West).

Drink Murphys or Beamish - not that Dublin stuff that is so popular. I think the only Beamish brewery is still in Cork.
Thanks so much! This is exactly the information I need. I'll post some photos after the trip.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

I don’t think I would chance sleep by winging it during a nice month like May. I did a similar trip about 12 years ago and planned a different B&B in several areas. Unfortunately that knowledge is now stale, but some googling should get some good options.

Highlights for us were the Ring of Kerry and the Burren (our guide there was hilarious. Met him in the pub the night before and decided to hire him). Shane was his name, had been featured (we later learned) in National Geographic Traveller. I liked the beehive huts and castle ruins around the island. Enjoyed the Galway peninsula quite a bit but not the town so much (we’re not city folks so preferred the small towns and villages). Cliffs of Moher, also known by some as the Cliffs of Insanity, were really cool.

Basically we rented a car in Shanan and would stay 1-2 nights in each B&B/Castle/Hotel, then explore the area. Having researched some things we had a bit of a game plan for each area, but would go to the pub and chat up local recommendations then modify the plan accordingly. Found some of the old rings that way, and some interesting local history and lore.

One place I have not been but really wish I had is Giant’s Causeway. Another trip, I suppose.

Golfers have a totally different Ireland experience.
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11095.50
Run Silent15127.00
      04-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I don’t think I would chance sleep by winging it during a nice month like May. I did a similar trip about 12 years ago and planned a different B&B in several areas. Unfortunately that knowledge is now stale, but some googling should get some good options.

Highlights for us were the Ring of Kerry and the Burren (our guide there was hilarious. Met him in the pub the night before and decided to hire him). Shane was his name, had been featured (we later learned) in National Geographic Traveller. I liked the beehive huts and castle ruins around the island. Enjoyed the Galway peninsula quite a bit but not the town so much (we’re not city folks so preferred the small towns and villages). Cliffs of Moher, also known by some as the Cliffs of Insanity, were really cool.

Basically we rented a car in Shanan and would stay 1-2 nights in each B&B/Castle/Hotel, then explore the area. Having researched some things we had a bit of a game plan for each area, but would go to the pub and chat up local recommendations then modify the plan accordingly. Found some of the old rings that way, and some interesting local history and lore.

One place I have not been but really wish I had is Giant’s Causeway. Another trip, I suppose.

Golfers have a totally different Ireland experience.
Thanks so much.

We toured New Zealand by car last year in late spring/early summer and winged it. It was a great decision for us. Not having to rush to a new destination and not being in a hurry made it much more fun. We plan to book the night before for the next night. If that becomes a problem, we will plan better and book ahead more.

I appreciate your suggestions.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3447.00
      04-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #6
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep

Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Drive from Dublin across the country stopping at Cashel and similar places-head north to Galwway and head out to the Aran islands for a day, then south to Cliffs of Moher and then ring of Kerry. Try to stay in B+B's to catch Irish flavor-its been awhile for me but there are many cool pubs along the way and if ye look a bit Irish, ya needn't buy many rounds as they'll take care of you.
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11095.50
MKSixer34171.50
      04-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2015 F32 435i

May I ask for some suggestion for Dublin? Have a 6 hours layover (12-6pm) in Dublin before heading to Berlin in June

Some suggestion for London area would be great as well, will spend a week there
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:36 AM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
Drive from Dublin across the country stopping at Cashel and similar places-head north to Galwway and head out to the Aran islands for a day, then south to Cliffs of Moher and then ring of Kerry. Try to stay in B+B's to catch Irish flavor-its been awhile for me but there are many cool pubs along the way and if ye look a bit Irish, ya needn't buy many rounds as they'll take care of you.
Thanks. Great advice. I have a wee bit of Irish and my wife is a bit more than that. We can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
We greatly enjoyed the bike tour! Dublin.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11095.50
      04-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
The view from the observation deck at the Guinness pub brewery was great, but the food sucked.
Had one of the best meals of my life at a place that I cannot recall the name of. I posted on here about it, I'll see if I can find it.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11095.50
      04-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
The view from the observation deck at the Guinness pub brewery was great, but the food sucked.
Had one of the best meals of my life at a place that I cannot recall the name of. I posted on here about it, I'll see if I can find it.
Thanks. I'll be sure to go to Guinness. I'll search for your post about the food.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #12
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Any advice about traveling to Belfast or other parts of Northern Ireland? I'd love to see both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #13
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
I got a little OC looking for this, but if the place is still open, its a must.
I had the Rabbit stew, the black cauliflower, and the chocolate sphere.
one of the top 10 meals I have had in my life!

Dessert Menu | Fade Street Social by Dylan McGrath Best Restaurant ...
https://www.fadestreetsocial.com/dessert-menu/
Chocolate Sphere melted with Hot Chocolate and Mandarin sauce. with caramelised ... ask your server. Fade Street Social, Dublin Restaurant by Dylan McGrath ...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

You might want to avoid Londonderry/Derry. Just sayin'...

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11095.50
      04-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #15
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

I would recommend this place if you want to add some romance in the mix or enjoy walking with your lesser half:

https://www.ireland.com/en-gb/amazin...ring-of-kerry/
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11095.50
      04-20-2019, 02:32 AM   #16
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M140i

Hello,

Northern Ireland is @ an hour and a half north of Dublin on very good fast roads. Some lovely sights to see and if into Game of Thrones the majority of the filming was from here. I’m from NI and if I can be of any help to you don’t hesitate to ask.

Agree with what’s said earlier about the west coast of Republic of Ireland, but if you have time for Northern Ireland the North coast of County Antrim is stunning, as are the Mourne Mountains, the Lakeland of County Fermanagh...and Belfast itself is worth a visit for Game of Thrones stuff, history of the Titanic and history of our recent troubles.

If you are doing the west coast of Ireland I can recommend Galway City as an amazing place to base yourself for food, music & general atmosphere.

Don’t forget we drive in the correct side of the road over here and we have roundabouts instead of 4 way stops...much more civilised
Appreciate 4
sygazelle11095.50
Soul_Glo13285.50
2000cs3447.00
MKSixer34171.50
      04-20-2019, 02:45 AM   #17
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewthefirst View Post
Hello,

Northern Ireland is @ an hour and a half north of Dublin on very good fast roads. Some lovely sights to see and if into Game of Thrones the majority of the filming was from here. I’m from NI and if I can be of any help to you don’t hesitate to ask.

Agree with what’s said earlier about the west coast of Republic of Ireland, but if you have time for Northern Ireland the North coast of County Antrim is stunning, as are the Mourne Mountains, the Lakeland of County Fermanagh...and Belfast itself is worth a visit for Game of Thrones stuff, history of the Titanic and history of our recent troubles.

If you are doing the west coast of Ireland I can recommend Galway City as an amazing place to base yourself for food, music & general atmosphere.

Don’t forget we drive in the correct side of the road over here and we have roundabouts instead of 4 way stops...much more civilised
Thanks for the advice. I will take you up on your offer if I have questions.

Yes, I remember you all drive on the correct side of the road. I've driven in England, Scotland, and New Zealand so I think I've got the hang of it. I made sure to rent a car with manual transmission to be a constant remember that everything is opposite. Just one thing: You spell civilised funny. I think it spelled with a z
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #18
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
My wife and I will be in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland for 8 days next month. If you know the area, please share some great drives, cool B&Bs, amazing pubs or restaurants, and not-to-miss sites.

I'm renting a car at DUB and we have made zero reservations yet. I'm hoping to wing it and make the next night's reservation the day before so if we want to stay an additional day somewhere we are not constrained.

I've rented a manual transmission VW Passat and I'm looking forward to that experience. I've got plenty of right hand steering experience in England, Scotland, and New Zealand.

We've been wanting to visit this part of the world for a long time and its time!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Congrats on the trip, Ireland is an amazing place with so much to see and do.

Here are some recommendations:

If you plan to stay around the Dublin side/area for a day or two (I recommend you do) here are a few places nearby to visit:
Skerries - a small coastal/ port town, great views, food and drinks. Walk around the town.
- Stop by 'Stoop Your Head' for some amazing food and a few pints

- Swing by the Ardgillan Castle for a tour

Howth - a small peninsula with a small coastal/seaside town and castle

- Plenty of great restaurants on the Pier walk, we enjoyed Octopussys.
- Howth Castle is right across from the Pier

Dún Laoghaire - a small coastal town just south of Dublin. I always stay at the Royal Marine in Dún Laoghaire, it is close enough and far enough from Dublin to make it a perfect town to stay in.

Dublin
- Temple Bar area, hit it around lunch till dusk, it tends to get very crowded after darks. For a great burger, stop by ’The Counter’ for lunch.
- Jameson Distillery - Tour or not, stop by for a drink at their bar, look around and experience it. The bar serves some great cocktails.

- Guinness Storehouse (Brewery), do the tour, get the free Guinness at the 'Gravity Bar’, then enjoy some pints and live Irish music at 'ARTHUR'S BAR’ restaurant.

- Swing by The Brazen Head, officially Ireland's oldest pub, dating back to 1198. Have a few pints and some traditional food.

- Bruxelles Pub, a great pub, lively, lots of beer options and in a great location.

Honestly, you can stop in at just about any pub and will have a good time. I spent many days and nights just trying different pubs, have a pint and leave to the next one. It is a great way to experience that area.

Northern Ireland:

- Black Taxi tour is a must; http://belfastblackcabtours.co.uk (just one of the many)
I had a great time and learned a lot. Its mind opening to be inside and see the cells where people were held and died (Bobby Sands, hunger strike). They take you to all of the historic sites, the wall (they still close and lock it every night), a museum and the Titanic Museum. A great experience.
Other things to do that are worth the time and money: these include lots of walking
- Giants Causeway
- Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge
- Dunluce Castle

There are so many options to do, it really depends on what you like to do and see. There are many more popular tourist places to go as others have mentioned above.

Here are some things I consider a must (if you enjoy good beer)

Have at least one of the following:

- Hop House 13 (made by Guinness)

I always enjoy a
- Galway Hooker
- Cute Hoor (Whore)
- Baby Guinness ( a smooth/great ‘shot’ that looks just like a Guinness)

These are just my opinion, others may disagree. The pics are from some of my adventures there, I hope they get you excited for your trip.
Enjoy!
      04-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #19
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Congrats on the trip, Ireland is an amazing place with so much to see and do.

These are just my opinion, others may disagree. The pics are from some of my adventures there, I hope they get you excited for your trip.
Enjoy!
Thank you. These are amazing tips. I really appreciate the time you took. This forum is awesome and the responses I've gotten on this thread from you and other forum members are a great example of the reason why. We all share a love for cars and I suppose that extends into living the good life altogether to the extent we are able.

This will be the first week of a six-week trip and what a way to begin. I will definately share photos. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #20
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

https://slickdeals.net/f/13030408-ae...w%20New%20Flag
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11095.50
      06-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Thank you. These are amazing tips. I really appreciate the time you took. This forum is awesome and the responses I've gotten on this thread from you and other forum members are a great example of the reason why. We all share a love for cars and I suppose that extends into living the good life altogether to the extent we are able.

This will be the first week of a six-week trip and what a way to begin. I will definately share photos. Cheers!
How was the trip?
      06-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #22
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
How was the trip?
Thanks for asking. I just signed on to give a trip report and I saw your question.

My wife and I just finished 8 days in Ireland. We rented a VW Passat with a diesel and a 5 speed manual. It was no BMW but it was perfect for the situation. Lot's of space and 50 miles to the gallon. I rented the manual for two reasons: 1) I miss driving stick and I wanted to get reaquainted and 2) I don't drive that much on the right hand side of road and having to shift manually was a constant reminder that everything is backwards. It really paid off. I'm really glad I made that decision. My wife was a bit freaked out on some of the narrow roads while sitting in the left seat. Each day was better for her and she only had a couple of Oh Jesus moments on the final days.

Overall, amazing country. Stunningly beautiful. Amazing food. Great people.

We tried to hit as many of the places that were recommended as possible and I think we did pretty good. We stayed in the Republic of Ireland. There was so much to see I didn't think trying to stretch the trip up to Northern Ireland would be a good idea.

As far as the route goes, we headed south from Dublin and stayed in Castlebridge, just north of Wexford for the first night. I went into my first Irish Pub, had a pint of Yellow Belly and some pub food. Everybody was so nice and friendly. We drove to the beach close by and then to the Irish National Heritage Park and then onto Waterford. My wife wanted to visit the mecca for shiny objects. Going in I asked her how many pieces of Waterford she has. She said 3. After taking the tour and going through the store, her memory got updated and she remembered and additional 9 pieces that she had. She told me she is a lucky girl. I agreed with her

We drove to Youghal from Waterford and spent the night. Next day we went through Cork, walked the grounds of Blarney Castle (no kissing the friggin' stone) and then onto Dingle where we spent the night. Great town. The next morning we drove Dingle Penninsula. Stunning.

Next night was Doolin. We went to see the Cliffs of Moher. Awesome.

Next stop was Galway but we decided not to stay the night and, intstead, drive up to Clifden. It turned out to be a great choice for us. We stayed two nights there and toured the area. Sky Loop, Kylemore Abbey, beaches, National Park.

And finally, we headed back to Dublin for the last couple of nights. Hop on Hop off bus, Guinness tour, jail tour, and a drive to Howth.

Altogether and amazing trip. But, that was just Round One of a 6 week trip. We are in Switzerland touring and visiting family, and then onto Austria, a 7 day Danube River cruise, and finally Prague. Sorry to rub it in

Thanks to all who gave me ideas on Ireland. What a great week!
Appreciate 5
Violator4587.50
2000cs3447.00
gjm1202181.50
Soul_Glo13285.50