New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

08-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #89
Madbrain
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
is that u at 300 holding the beer in the button down shirt ?
Yes, that was in Ireland. Hate that pic now...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #90
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Eat less, move more. That’s all you need to remember. I lost 98lbs in 2008, and have kept it off ever since.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #91
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
I think you have a misunderstanding of what full body exactly is. It's training using your full bodyweight. It is not lifting weights where you are training and legs, back and chest on the same day.

I have done bodybuilding and now shifted to HIIT (full bodyweight)l and, honestly, after practising both, I can tell you HIIT is much harder, will give you much better gains and improve your general fitness level like no other.
With all due respect to all the bodybuilders out there, it's a completely different game.

Here are some screenshots from some the workouts I regularly do. I challenge you to complete one of these and after can you tell me whether it's for women.

file2 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141393922@N03/]

file1 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141393922@N03/]

file by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141393922@N03/]
That is what we call crossfit. Sure it is a good cardio workout, but you can't gain any real strength doing those workouts. You need to be able to do compound lifts at lower reps, otherwise you are going for a great feminine body shape. Been there, done that, hard but not any harder than a good lifting routine. A good lifting routine gives me much better results than crossfit ever did. Everyone is targeting something different though so before you come in here acting like you know everything.. take your own advice, shut up and listen.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #92
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
is that u at 300 holding the beer in the button down shirt ?
I thought they were called button up shirts....
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #93
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Drives: 340isDrive

Exercise moderately else you will eat more as your body wants replenishment
its a matter of control
you need self control to stop yourself from putting food in your mouth
I've never seen a fat Ethiopian during those food shortages
its al about food intake

drink more water
try eating net negative caloric foods like spaghetti squash
stay away from too many carbos and starches
you need more vegetables

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Hello ALL,

I am trying to lose weight from past 18 months. With no luck

Weight: 195lbs
Body Fat: 30%
Height: 5'9"
Fat Deposits: lower belly, lower back, love handles, face/chin

So from 2 weeks, I have been aggressive and started the following routine:

Treadmill: Morning and Evening (total of 800 calories burn/day) for 5 days/week. So total I am burning about 3500-4000 calories a week on treadmill.
Weight-lifting: once a week, burning 500 calories.
Give and take: I am burning around 4000 calories per week combined.

Breakfast: oatmeal/milk/nuts/peanut butter/honey, about 350 calories.
Lunch: pretty heavy lunch mix of meat or poultry, rice or bread, about 400-700 calories.
Dinner: snacking, about 200-300 calories.

I really want to get lean, fit, healthy, athletic body and be around 170lbs with body fat of 20-23%.

Please advice, comment. I am really struggling in losing 20 lbs.
THANKS!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #94
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
That is what we call crossfit. Sure it is a good cardio workout, but you can't gain any real strength doing those workouts. You need to be able to do compound lifts at lower reps, otherwise you are going for a great feminine body shape. Been there, done that, hard but not any harder than a good lifting routine. A good lifting routine gives me much better results than crossfit ever did. Everyone is targeting something different though so before you come in here acting like you know everything.. take your own advice, shut up and listen.
Sure, son. I will be happy to see you do 100 straight pull ups in a row. After that you can tell me again you don't gain any strength.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #95
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
I wouldn’t necessarily say those are “CrossFit” workouts. Body weight workouts were around long before CrossFit. Greg Glassman just incorporated that style, amongst others, into his brand of training program.

To clarify....What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program designed to help ppl gain a broad and general fitness. Programming concentrates on CONSTANTLY VARIED FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENTS PERFORMED AT HIGH INTENSITY TO ACHIEVE OVERALL PHYSICAL FITNESS. Thus in theory one would be prepared for any physical challenge.

Basically, Jack of all trades masters of none.

I’ve done CrossFit since 2009, but have recently moved to more functional fitness mixed with some power/Olympic lifts. Fitness is what you make it. We all have different goals and expectations. But the bottom line is for the everyday Joe or Jane workingout should be about YOUR fitness and making your body a more healthy efficient machine!!!!
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #96
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Sure, son. I will be happy to see you do 100 straight pull ups in a row. After that you can tell me again you don't gain any strength.
Mass and muscle endurance are different things. Marathon runner has strength but look emaciated.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      08-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #97
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

The argument was that it didn't build strength so I answered it. You cannot compare doing a 100 straight pull ups to running a marathon. At all.

The reason why most people cannot do (multiple) pull ups, let alone 100, is because they do not have the strength, not because they do not have the endurance. We aren't talking jumping jacks here.

To round this off: do you guys think people that practise calisthenics, who are basically only leveraging a pull up bar, look feminine?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #98
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
The argument was that it didn't build strength so I answered it. You cannot compare doing a 100 straight pull ups to running a marathon. At all.

The reason why most people cannot do (multiple) pull ups, let alone 100, is because they do not have the strength, not because they do not have the endurance. We aren't talking jumping jacks here.

To round this off: do you guys think people that practise calisthenics, who are basically only leveraging a pull up bar, look feminine?
Are u talking about a group of sets that add up to 100 pull ups or one - set of 100?

Last edited by overcoil; 08-27-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #99
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

No but your training for muscle endurance not for mass. Long lean muscles not heavy mass moving ones. You can bench all you want at 135 wont make 315 doable.
Appreciate 2
Hawkeye2069.50
xander_g967.00
      08-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #100
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
I wouldn’t necessarily say those are “CrossFit” workouts. Body weight workouts were around long before CrossFit. Greg Glassman just incorporated that style, amongst others, into his brand of training program.

To clarify....What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program designed to help ppl gain a broad and general fitness. Programming concentrates on CONSTANTLY VARIED FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENTS PERFORMED AT HIGH INTENSITY TO ACHIEVE OVERALL PHYSICAL FITNESS. Thus in theory one would be prepared for any physical challenge.

Basically, Jack of all trades masters of none.

I’ve done CrossFit since 2009, but have recently moved to more functional fitness mixed with some power/Olympic lifts. Fitness is what you make it. We all have different goals and expectations. But the bottom line is for the everyday Joe or Jane workingout should be about YOUR fitness and making your body a more healthy efficient machine!!!!
Yeah - I should have said those look like some crossfit wods. The crossfit gyms I actually enjoyed did less for the century sets and instead did more olympic lifts or ladders. Of course there are always the challenges that are more of how quick you can get through a series of century sets but they were more of a test than the substance of the workouts.

I personally prefer heavier compound lifting with HIIT. Doing 100x pull-ups, push-ups etc. is not HIIT. HIIT is generally an exercise you do at 90-100% of your max for 15-30 seconds at a time and then generally allow for full recovery before doing another round.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #101
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
No but your training for muscle endurance not for mass. Long lean muscles not heavy mass moving ones. You can bench all you want at 135 wont make 315 doable.
Nope. Just as benching 315 will not make you do a 100 pull ups. So it depends on what you define as building strength.

ScottSinger 100 pull ups is the last exercise in a workout with 5 exercises. (see screenshot above)

Note that these workouts are often broken down 1/6, 3/6 to adapt to your current fitness level. After each workout, you can rate how hard it was so the fitness coach will adapt next week's workout. This way, you can build your strength and fitness gradually rather than being thrown in the deep end of the pool.

The screenshots I showed were more strength focused workouts, but the Freeletics app is all about HIIT.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #102
Madbrain
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Not at all, but doing full body work everyday can cause overtraining, especially at his calorie intake. Might end up skinny fat. Full body workouts done in moderation have been shown to increase hormone production.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #103
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrain View Post
Not at all, but doing full body work everyday can cause overtraining, especially at his calorie intake. Might end up skinny fat. Full body workouts done in moderation have been shown to increase hormone production.
For the love of God, you will not end up skinny fat when you are performing bodyweight. This is not cardio or zero resistance exercising here.
Doing 4 rounds of 20 burpees, 15 pushups, 25 sit ups, and 10 pull ups is not cardio. That's some heavy ass fucking shit for any normal dude.

Did anybody here say you have to train every day? In the case of Freeletics you can't even because it's too damn heavy.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #104
Madbrain
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
For the love of God, you will not end up skinny fat when you are performing bodyweight. This is not cardio or zero resistance exercising here.
Doing 4 rounds of 20 burpees, 15 pushups, 25 sit ups, and 10 pull ups is not cardio. That's some heavy ass fucking shit for any normal dude.

Did anybody here say you have to train every day? In the case of Freeletics you can't even because it's too damn heavy.
Calm down... Not talking about you or your crossfitter super duper hiit vape workout. Referring to OP and his subpar diet. Burpees suck, pull ups are hard we get it, my old ass can still do them. How old are you, how long have you been doing this, what's your background, what's your stats? BTW I never disagreed with you, stop being butthurt.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #105
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's cardio, for me. High reps is 10-12 sometimes 20. My cardio would give out not my strength doing that kind of thing, that's why its hard.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #106
Madbrain
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
That's cardio, for me. High reps is 10-12 sometimes 20. My cardio would give out not my strength doing that kind of thing, that's why its hard.
That's cardio for most, definitely an anaerobic workout.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #107
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I literally just ate less (egg whites instead of oatmeal for breakfast, no more "snacks" brought into the house, no more Chipotle every Friday, etc.), added 8 mins of HIIT Cardio to my usual lifting routine and dropped 5 lbs in 2 wks.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:41 AM   #108
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

@madbrain 1MOREMOD you better look up the definition of anaerobic again, because lifting weights is just as much anaerobic as the workout I described.
Running, swimming, cycling at a steady pace is what I consider cardio (aerobic).
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #109
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Doing 4 rounds of what you mentioned above without rest is definitely cardio. Doing 4 rounds of what you mentioned above WITH rest is easy as shit and definitely wouldn't build muscle on anyone but a noobie.

I too am interested in your background a stats Chasing... You seem to think you know more than everyone else.

edit: perhaps we just believe in different definitions of strength. None of there success stories would be anywhere close to my ideal body type... https://www.freeletics.com/en/bodyweight/coach/get

Last edited by Hawkeye; 08-28-2018 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #110
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Doing 4 rounds of what you mentioned above without rest is definitely cardio. Doing 4 rounds of what you mentioned above WITH rest is easy as shit and definitely wouldn't build muscle on anyone but a noobie.

I too am interested in your background a stats Chasing... You seem to think you know more than everyone else.

edit: perhaps we just believe in different definitions of strength. None of there success stories would be anywhere close to my ideal body type... https://www.freeletics.com/en/bodyweight/coach/get
Well, 4 rounds of 10 good, strict, unbroken, full RoM pull-ups is definitely more than the "average dude" can do. Other than that, those reps are pretty doable for just about anyone, yes.

Sounds like a P90x or TRX type workout to me. Which is fine, I go to OrangeTheory every once in a while with my wife - it's certainly better than not working out - it's just not what I'd want to do every day.
Appreciate 0