New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #45
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

Audi RS5 body and interior/MB C63 engine/BMW M3 handling and feel. Voila'.
LOL I'm sure someone could make that happen

Good article
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #46
bavarian beauty
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 E92

hmmmmm.....I made a statement a few weeks back about the terrible feeling of regret of buying my slightly used 08 M3. I should of kept my RS4 for just a bit longer and jump into an RS5.
Well, in the past two weeks and reading 4 reviews and a few video reviews, I'm not feeling so bad now.
in addition, I have spent some quality time with my M with a few long drives up to Whistler Mountain, I have fallen in love with this car.
It was last week when I was 2 hours north of Whistler mountain and the road was clear, dry, very twistie and lots of elevation changes. I now know what the M3 truly means and what it's suppose to deliver. What an amazing car, I am just blown away. I have had a RS4, an S4, a CS4 and Turbo and none of those cars surprised me or excited me as much as the M.
In my honest opinion, there is not another car out there that can deliver such pure driving excitement, incredible handling, agility and balance in this price range!
Now...I know there are a many Audi fans here (i know, weird!!), so please refrain from jumping all over me, I am a huge fan of Audi and have owned alot of them (probably more than all of you). I am a huge fan of German engineering, so go easy!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #47
footie
Major General
Rep

Drives: i5M60

Garage List
The M3 still has the best feel out of the three, the C63 will still be tge quickest in a straight line and the RS5 will be the quickest on any given road. Though in reality the difference between all three in all of these disciplines are lot smaller than views will lead you to believe. In the end you pick the one you like the most.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #48
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Slow homie

I like the looks of the M3 the best. Just my opinion though
      05-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #49
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: BMW

It is so, BMW M were the "best" cars until Mercedes AMG and Audi RS came. Now they are all "equal". It is still good to have competition.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #50
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
It is so, BMW M were the "best" cars until Mercedes AMG and Audi RS came. Now they are all "equal". It is still good to have competition.
They are all high status cars within the same price bracket with similar but not exact target markets. Usually it's a clash between the audi/benz/bmw but somtimes I wonder if the ctsv and isf should be included in the category as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #51
graider
Colonel
Rep

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
They are all high status cars within the same price bracket with similar but not exact target markets. Usually it's a clash between the audi/benz/bmw but somtimes I wonder if the ctsv and isf should be included in the category as well.
i think the isf and cts definitely deserve to be mentioned in this category as well. however I think m3 has the most balance look out of the 5 cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #52
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
i think the isf and cts definitely deserve to be mentioned in this category as well. however I think m3 has the most balance look out of the 5 cars.
Actually, the IS F and C63 (or CTS-V...which is more of an E63/M5 competitor) aren't really relevant to this conversation. They would be a competitor to the extinct RS4 and E90 M3, but not the RS5....due to the fact that the RS5 only has 2 doors.

I absolutely loved the look of the new S5 when it was first announced and thought that it would be my next car. However, I decided that I needed to have 4 doors and so I shopped the C63, M3 and F (besides being utterly disappointed with all of the numbers on the S5).

The RS5 runs into the same issues as the E92 M3....(which I love and think looks much better than the sedan)....their competitors are the GT-R and Z06. Now you can argue all day about the daily driveability of the M3/RS5 vs. GT-R/Z06, but you can't deny that the latter two badly outperform the former. If I only need 2 doors, I'll take performance over daily driveability thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 01:55 AM   #53
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
The RS5 runs into the same issues as the E92 M3....(which I love and think looks much better than the sedan)....their competitors are the GT-R and Z06. Now you can argue all day about the daily driveability of the M3/RS5 vs. GT-R/Z06, but you can't deny that the latter two badly outperform the former. If I only need 2 doors, I'll take performance over daily driveability thanks.
this, sadly, is true if we don't take a lot of things into consideration.

From pure performance stand point, everyone knows who the winner is. But I guess majority wants balance of both world, not just one-sided monster.

I hoenstly think MB or Audi or BMW, can create beasts like GT-R or Z06, but they just won't because they pursue something that'll do all kinds of stuff in one package.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 03:33 AM   #54
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep

Drives: e90

RS5 is hot, looks nicer than m3 & All Wheel Drive is Allsome lol
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #55
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndog View Post
Coming from a guy driving a vette...
Are you Serious dude? the Base Corvette(430bhp) kills any audi line up, other than V10 R8. and there's still a remedy for it and it's called Z06 and I'm not even bringing the ZR1 to the discussion. Get yo facts up before posting nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #56
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndog View Post
Why doesn't it make sense? I think the Vette is an ugly car. Never liked them, probably never will. It’s a great performer but to each his own. Not everybody has the same taste…don’t really care for looks of the GT-R either, that's not to say it isn't a great performace car as well.
Then there's a difference between your opinion and the COLD HARD FACTS.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 05:42 AM   #57
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
this, sadly, is true if we don't take a lot of things into consideration.

From pure performance stand point, everyone knows who the winner is. But I guess majority wants balance of both world, not just one-sided monster.

I hoenstly think MB or Audi or BMW, can create beasts like GT-R or Z06, but they just won't because they pursue something that'll do all kinds of stuff in one package.
From engine stand point I think GT-R and Z06 are better daily drivable cars tahn M3 and RS5 because they are FI and the two last HR NA engines.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #58
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
From engine stand point I think GT-R and Z06 are better daily drivable cars tahn M3 and RS5 because they are FI and the two last HR NA engines.
Just the engine, we can argue which engine is more reliable and better tuned for street/daily driving all day. Im talking about in general.

anyways. back to RS5...

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #59
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

This is one of the reasons I have a hard time looking at an E92 M3 or RS5 as a "fun car". For the price point, there are much better cars only a step further. I also don't think the DD of a C6 is all that bad, not sure about the GT-R though.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #60
mtndog
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F90 M5c, 992GTS, x5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
Then there's a difference between your opinion and the COLD HARD FACTS.
Cold hard facts don't have anything to do with peoples opinions. It's all SUBJECTIVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
Are you Serious dude? the Base Corvette(430bhp) kills any audi line up, other than V10 R8. and there's still a remedy for it and it's called Z06 and I'm not even bringing the ZR1 to the discussion. Get yo facts up before posting nonsense.
Dude, like seriously...go back and read my post dude. I said the vette was UGLY IMO. Just like stingray23 said "Audi's are boring" I respect that, he doesn't like them, that's okay.

You only reposted what Boost said.
Since it looks like you went to USC, I will say it again. As I said to Boost the Z06 and GT-R ARE great performance cars, I PERSONALLY DON'T LIKE THE LOOKS OF THEM.

I have a client who owns a ZR1 and GT-R, I've been for rides in both...crazy performance although the ZR1 sounds mean as hell.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #61
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
This is one of the reasons I have a hard time looking at an E92 M3 or RS5 as a "fun car". For the price point, there are much better cars only a step further. I also don't think the DD of a C6 is all that bad, not sure about the GT-R though.
It's all about geography.

I doubt too many people would consider the Vette as a DD if there was snow three months of the year and it's rained much more than just occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #62
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

That might be true, I'm not really talking about snow/rain performance. I'm talking about the M3 and RS5 as "fun cars". There are better options out there. Plus if it's raining or snowing, you probably shouldn't be trying to have "fun" on any road.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #63
bavarian beauty
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
It's all about geography.

I doubt too many people would consider the Vette as a DD if there was snow three months of the year and it's rained much more than just occasionally.
I dont think geography has anything to do with it. I am 47 yrs old and I bought my first car when I was 19. I have yet to buy a car based on the weather patterns up here in Canada. My last 5 cars have been AWD, not because of weather, more for handling and performance.
After my purchase of C4S, I discovered how much I like driving, a spirited mountain drive was my daily fix. I continued to purchase AWD cars for several more years and now own an M3. Now I know what I have been missing for the last 10 years. This car is more involving, more exciting and more connected to the driver than anything I have owned, and that includes my 4CS.
I think all of my vehicles had one or two things that I really enjoyed or how it performed, but this is the first car I feel has everything. IMO, the M3 is best bang for the buck, nothing compares!
For those of you that have never been in an M3, taken a lap around the track or a spirited drive up the mountain, it will be difficult to truly understand the passion that M3 owners have over their cars. I'm sure the RS5 will be an outstanding car, but for M3 owners, it will be too heavy, wont have the agility or connectedness to the road and driver (as few of the reviews has stated) and too expensive!
I have been an Audi fan for so many years and have owned 4 of their cars, I now understand what the true meaning of "the ultimate driving machine" is.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #64
mtndog
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F90 M5c, 992GTS, x5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
That might be true, I'm not really talking about snow/rain performance. I'm talking about the M3 and RS5 as "fun cars". There are better options out there. Plus if it's raining or snowing, you probably shouldn't be trying to have "fun" on any road.
If I'm ever fortunate enough to own a GT3 RS I would say that is a "fun car". What do you define as "fun cars"? Also can you tell me what would be on your list as "better options out there".
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #65
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian beauty View Post
I dont think geography has anything to do with it. I am 47 yrs old and I bought my first car when I was 19. I have yet to buy a car based on the weather patterns up here in Canada. My last 5 cars have been AWD, not because of weather, more for handling and performance.
After my purchase of C4S, I discovered how much I like driving, a spirited mountain drive was my daily fix. I continued to purchase AWD cars for several more years and now own an M3. Now I know what I have been missing for the last 10 years. This car is more involving, more exciting and more connected to the driver than anything I have owned, and that includes my 4CS.
I think all of my vehicles had one or two things that I really enjoyed or how it performed, but this is the first car I feel has everything. IMO, the M3 is best bang for the buck, nothing compares!
For those of you that have never been in an M3, taken a lap around the track or a spirited drive up the mountain, it will be difficult to truly understand the passion that M3 owners have over their cars. I'm sure the RS5 will be an outstanding car, but for M3 owners, it will be too heavy, wont have the agility or connectedness to the road and driver (as few of the reviews has stated) and too expensive!
I have been an Audi fan for so many years and have owned 4 of their cars, I now understand what the true meaning of "the ultimate driving machine" is.
I can't argue with your opinion or your chose of motor now, as a former M3 owner I too know the pleasure this car can offer but for some the added security offered from awd and how easy it is to access their performance is also very appealing, of which the RS5 will be among the quickest of all.

It funny your opinion on the C4S as I a few years ago almost changed my then Boxster to a 996, I much preferred the C4S because the nose felt better tied down and it's tail more predictable to that of the C2S. I still rate any of the Porsce sportscars to be more exciting and involving than the M3 I owned but that's just me but as a good allrounder the M3 is a very good package.

Last edited by footie; 05-09-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #66
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

I am sick of AWD vs. RWD talk. Why do not we then talk about FWD? I can not hear anymore "AWD is better than RWD in rain and snow" when most of the cars on are FWD, and FWD is even more dangerous than RWD on rain and snow. It is not possible to say what transmission is better. It is a question of preference.
The worst argument is sportcar and AWD in case of snow and rain. What with the people that have only one car and it is FWD? This is the case of 60 % of Europeans. Yet, the one who has the money for a RWD sportcar also has the money for an AWD diesel. So he doesnt care how is the weather.
Appreciate 0