New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #23
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 996 TT

What is so funny, is the BMW super sophisticated motor is not as efficient. The C6 has far better MPG and more power. Thank god for archaic motors!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #24
Schumacher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
What is so funny, is the BMW super sophisticated motor is not as efficient. The C6 has far better MPG and more power. Thank god for archaic motors!
I was surprised that the M3 had a Gas Guzzler Tax on it. The Corvette and even the new Panamera S V8 do not have it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #25
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
I like the corvette but the second and third reason you have are why I don't love it. The leaf springs actually work for the corvette because they are used as springs and not control arms. But the idea of having it in a sports car is just a turn off. Like having a gorgeous girlfriend but she has meat curtains.. And as for the displacement. They're only making 400 horsepower with 6.0 liters. Same with Dodge. 8.3 liter v10 only makes 500hp.

What I'm trying to explain is these cars don't have the sophistication their european rivals have. They get the job done, but not gracefully.
I prefer to go fast rather than divide horsepower by displacement and jerk off to the result.
      02-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #26
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I prefer to go fast rather than divide horsepower by displacement and jerk off to the result.
+1
      02-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #27
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I've owned a C6 Z06. Please, all you nonbelievers, just get a ride in one at full throttle and then talk about Hp/liter. You'll be pulling your eyes out of the back of your head.
As for handling - yes, it's on edge when you're pushing it. What a rush!

If any of you have a question about the Vette's overall handling, check out the new Car and Driver Lightening Lap. The Grand Sport - yes, with the LS3, was quicker than the Audi R8 V10.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #28
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Smoothly

God the sound is good! It's my favorite car in Forza3

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #29
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Turbo Festiva

Is it me but it sounds like an M5/M6?...well kinda..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #30
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I have made that point in other C5/C6 bashing threads. Progress/more complex isn't always better

I would average about 25-26 MPG in my C5 Z06 in 6th gear @ 80MPH, cruising at a lofty 2K RPM

I SOOOOO can't wait until my daughter is able to ride without a car seat/booster seat, I am going to be right back in another Z06.

I love my little girl of course, but I have not been satisfied with anything I have driven since my Z06 went away, and that includes an 05' Audi S4, modified 335i (see sig. below for mods) , or my current M3. They all do decent as a 4 door people mover with a little spunk, but the Corvettes (especially the Z06) is just raw and hardcore and focused.

If you are a sports car enthusiast and had the pleasure of driving/owning a Z06, there is no looking back, unless you win the lotto and go to the likes of Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo., etc. and even then you are only buying prestige and higher quality of materials, not really much (if any) performance increases.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.

Last edited by TRZ06; 02-22-2010 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #31
MHP
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: MHP S2 C63, MHP S1 997 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Most common phases these people say,

" It's an ancient OHV pushrod V8"

When in fact the age difference between OHV and DOHC is only ~10 years. DOHC isn't anything new. It is just it became more widely used when the Japanese entered the US market.

" It uses leaf springs as its rear suspension"

Someone else will have to post the reason why it uses the leaf spring as I forgot and a quick search on wiki doesn't say.

" Typical American Engineering. Can only get HP from a huge displacement V8"

Frankly, who cares that GM uses a 6.2 V8 to make 436 HP? It gets respectable fuel economy and makes great power. Also, the LS3 physically is smaller then the small displacement V8's making similar HP. Mercedes's 6.2 V8 is guaranteed physically bigger then the LS3.

FYI some fun facts, OHC motors were conceived before pushrods contrary to popular thought--kind of puts those dinosaur comments to rest even though I'm a 4V fan.

Also, a M156 AMG 63/6.2L V8 is actually physically smaller than a Ford 4.6L/4V Modular motor LOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 04:25 AM   #32
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep

Drives: Fast

Quote:
^^^
This.

And what MHP said is right, OHC are older than OHV.

OHV was a more complex design that required more advanced manufacturing techniques of the day (cam in block).

People need to stop masturbating to OHC motors that spin to the moon.

Here is what I immediately think when I hear that argument.

OMFG MY MOTOR IS 1.2 LITERS AND REDLINEZ @ 30,000 RPM LOL YOURS IS ANCIENT V8 AMERICA POS!!!111wun

Then I dust him.

02-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #33
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: as many as possible

Quote:

Where the hell did you get that?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #34
flyinb501
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:

Hahahaha!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #35
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Is it me but it sounds like an M5/M6?...well kinda..
not even close
      02-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #36
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Drives: VF

All the comments about the LTx and LSx motors and HP/displacement....

How about HP/lb (motor) and stockHP/potentialHP??????? Back when I was deciding to do to blow up my E36 M3, the LS1 was probably by far the best option, as it was reliable, cheap to fix, way more powerful, way more potential, and it also weighed less than my I6 and sat further back in the chassis. That being said, I settled for a supercharger because I was doing all the work myself and just didn't want to have to handle the entire LS1 project, but the motor was much superior to the BMW powerplant in many ways. It wasn't even a contest in most aspects.

Fanboys are why certain companies are able to keep mediocre solutions and technology in production for so long, claiming "tradition" and "purity" of the marque.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #37
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I read some of the strangest things on here.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #38
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Here's a good reason to be scared of the C6:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0fd_1266508446

The thing's are capable of breaking the tires loose at highway speeds, and if you're not ready for it (or skilled enough to deal with it), they'll bite you.

I love the C6 Vettes, and a Z06 may very well be my next car. There's never been such a beast available for so little money.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, Hp/L is an absolutely worthless measure for street cars, unless you live somewhere that has a displacement tax. In a race car where you're displacement limited, then obviously it's worth talking about, but when it comes to high HP daily drivers, large displacement engines are perfectly well suited for the job. They have a broad powerband that lets you minimize shifts when you're putting around town, return very good mileage, and are relaxed even at triple digit highway speeds for hours on end.

The one downside is the amount of rotating mass makes rev matching more critical on hard downshifts to prevent breaking the rear tires loose or otherwise unsettling the chassis. It takes a little skill to drive a Vette at its full potential, but it's damn sure one worth learning.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #39
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
All the comments about the LTx and LSx motors and HP/displacement....

How about HP/lb (motor) and stockHP/potentialHP??????? Back when I was deciding to do to blow up my E36 M3, the LS1 was probably by far the best option, as it was reliable, cheap to fix, way more powerful, way more potential, and it also weighed less than my I6 and sat further back in the chassis. That being said, I settled for a supercharger because I was doing all the work myself and just didn't want to have to handle the entire LS1 project, but the motor was much superior to the BMW powerplant in many ways. It wasn't even a contest in most aspects.

Fanboys are why certain companies are able to keep mediocre solutions and technology in production for so long, claiming "tradition" and "purity" of the marque.
Where have you been, Antarctica?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #40
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The one downside is the amount of rotating mass makes rev matching more critical on hard downshifts to prevent breaking the rear tires loose or otherwise unsettling the chassis. It takes a little skill to drive a Vette at its full potential, but it's damn sure one worth learning.
Exactly why I love those cars..not meant for sissys nor show...I remember when I drove a vette for the first time it was my friends C5. I enjoyed driving it..that thing was a beast. I'd never get a brand new vette due to horrible depreciation but I was looking at used C6 Z06 last year...bang for the buck you can't beat that. The Vette is the best american sports car you can get...don't talk to me about Vipers my friend had an GTS ACR and the damn thing was leaking water inside the cabin....and just too damn expensive to fix...(go see the price of an OEM hood)...The Vette also has superior handling.

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #41
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep

Drives: E92 335i MT

Alot of fan boys here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkevoIX View Post
Do you even realize what these motors make with full bolt-on and tune?
You do the same to M3 motor or even Nissan's VQ motor and then compare the gains to LS3.

Just because chevy decided to put out 400hp out of 6.2L doesn't mean it's anywhere near its max potential.
I was talking about the stock engine. You can get over 600hp with the m3 v8 and 1000hp with the 4G63 engine in the evo. That was not my point. And most people don't mod their cars.

If chevy could "pull" more power out of that 6.2 without jeopardizing reliability, trust me they would do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Why do you care if it is 6.0 liters vs 4.0( in case of the M3)? What makes the 4.0 V8 so sophisticated in your opinion? The fact that the engine works harder to make that power( given fact. Most DOHC engines make their power higher in the powerband requiring to increase the RPM's to get to that power where OHV makes it lower)? Or is it the shock factor that plays into your mind? " Oh wow they got 400 HP out of only 4.0 liters WOW!!!!!" Who gives a damn beyond that wow factor. You have the wow factor while you eat my dust. All that anyone should care about is the fuel economy, how much power it produces, and how smoothly it delivers that power. The LS3 isn't a rough running engine and it doesn't sound coarse like OHV's of the past..... It is a smooth sounding engine that delivers power that demands respect.

So the sophistication reason is pure Grade A BS. You just use it to further keep the image of the Europeans being better then the Americans.
So to you it doesn't matter how something is made as long as it gets the job done?

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #42
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Nothing

That thing isn't playing around lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #43
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

1.) I'm not of the impression that Vettes have horrible depreciation. At least not the standard ones. There aren't many C6's for less than 30k on autotrader. They sell a shit ton of those cars. I dont know where they are.

2.) Using the "I make more power per liter" to claim I'm better than another car is pretty pointless. I have used that phrase in the past. It was very fun though. It's just something cool to acknowledge at this point. I mean I've owned an S2000 FOREVER. Just because my car is maxed out stock dosen't mean I cant get good mpgs. I too average 26-27mpg going about 75-80mph.

3.)" I prefer to go fast rather than divide horsepower by displacement and jerk off to the result."

I laughed so hard. I think FStop actually comes up with this stuff. You, sir, are a riot..LOL

4.) "Fanboys are why certain companies are able to keep mediocre solutions and technology in production for so long, claiming "tradition" and "purity" of the marque."

I'm so close to making this my signature. FULL of truth.
      02-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #44
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
1.) I'm not of the impression that Vettes have horrible depreciation. At least not the standard ones. There aren't many C6's for less than 30k on autotrader. They sell a shit ton of those cars. I dont know where they are.
Well over here in Canada they have bad resale value. That makes it a great bargain. Anyways car prices are a mess over here.

4.) "Fanboys are why certain companies are able to keep mediocre solutions and technology in production for so long, claiming "tradition" and "purity" of the marque."

So true it's like political blindness...

Quote:
Appreciate 0