Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

06-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Law
Global Moderator
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
75 Years

World leaders, including Trump and the Queen, as well as 300 veterans, are in Portsmouth in the UK to mark the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day landings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-48462241

Undoubtably the most incredible landing operations in world history, and for the noblest of intentions.

A moment to remember and give thanks to the greatest generation.
Attached Images

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |
Appreciate 21
      06-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

It still strikes me as such madness to send your youngest/strongest to die in the most brutal of fashions. Yet the animal that is humanity continues.

On par with the brutality of slave ships, Roman crosses, and burning witches at the stake.

And DESPITE that, I still salute (although having never served, I don't deserve that right so do it only figuratively) the amazing bravery and dedication to an ideal that sent all these men to their death/destruction/dismemberment.
Appreciate 1
Law4708.50

06-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Gold, Juno, Sword, Utah, Omaha. The bravest of brave and the Greatest Generation. Thank you all
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 3
Law4708.50
SakhirM49606.50
2000cs1044.00

06-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
adc100
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 Forester XT

I am a WWII Junkie. There is a movie ..

It will bring tears to your eyes. Best movie I have ever seen!!!

Thanks for posting Law. We owe them.
Appreciate 1
Law4708.50

06-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So, all these veterans who were taken back to the beach. Did they REALLY want to return, or is this even more sacrifice on their part to make the teens feel good about making them feel good?

And that 90+ yo guy that was part of a tandem jump to commemorate his jump from 75 ago. Does he REALLY want to go thru that again????
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, all these veterans who were taken back to the beach. Did they REALLY want to return, or is this even more sacrifice on their part to make the teens feel good about making them feel good?

And that 90+ yo guy that was part of a tandem jump to commemorate his jump from 75 ago. Does he REALLY want to go thru that again????
That’s really a head scratcher of a post you did there. Don’t think this is really a thread to try and stir up some kind of weird alternative motives. Odd to say the least.
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Wills25494.00

06-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
I am a WWII Junkie. There is a movie ..

It will bring tears to your eyes. Best movie I have ever seen!!!

Thanks for posting Law. We owe them.
this always blows me away...............

Law4708.50
MKSixer15749.50

06-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
That’s really a head scratcher of a post you did there. Don’t think this is really a thread to try and stir up some kind of weird alternative motives. Odd to say the least.
While I am generally extremely tongue in cheek, I was serious in my lack of understanding of the psyche of veterans. It's pretty standard knowledge that most veterans who saw combat are somewhat traumatized. Because of my diabetes, I could never sign up, so I don't have first-hand knowledge.

When I relate my minute traumas, rarely am I interested in returning to that trauma, nor it's location.

I never meant to offend, and I attempted to applaud their on-going sacrifice for the good of the country.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
While I am generally extremely tongue in cheek, I was serious in my lack of understanding of the psyche of veterans. It's pretty standard knowledge that most veterans who saw combat are somewhat traumatized. Because of my diabetes, I could never sign up, so I don't have first-hand knowledge.

When I relate my minute traumas, rarely am I interested in returning to that trauma, nor it's location.

I never meant to offend, and I attempted to applaud their on-going sacrifice for the good of the country.
I would bet its voluntary. H. Bush seemed to love his jumps. And he had to make his first jump immediately after losing his crew on his TBF over Chichi Jima. I'm sure that was traumatizing.
      06-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This really shouldn’t be a thread for tongue in cheek humor or whatever it is you want to call it.
Rest assured that all the men are there because they want to be there and or need to be there. Can we just leave it at that and leave this thread for honoring the men who did what they did for the whole world including giving their limbs and lives.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM49606.50
Wills25494.00

06-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep

Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

75 years ago boys lied about their age, pretended to be men, go to war and fight for what they believed in, to help their fellow men.
hat off to everyone, was not a wonderful time by a long stretch

today, kids are confused about their genders and need safe spaces, demand fascism and communism.. where the hell did we go wrong?
N54Yankee1698.00
Law4708.50
Delta03117358.50
arkie6348.00
NickyC5407.50
MKSixer15749.50

06-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep

Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:

Uncle Wede;
I am going to take a stab at your question about why the vets return to Normandy and I think its a good one and because for many, this event was one of the biggest things to happen in their entire lifetime-many came home to live relatively uneventful lives compared to assaults on pillboxes and jumping out of the sky in the dark.
The camaraderie-they get to visit with other vets and talk about their units and shared experiences one last time and to look up some of their fallen buddies in the cemetery and experience incredible emotion and nostalgia no matter how horrifying the experience was.
Many of them are welcomed and treated as real heroes by the French people that were liberated from the occupying fascists and they probably revisit some of the towns and villages they helped liberate and maybe even established brief relationships with families there.
It allows them to revisit their youth, when they were young and strong and part of a winning team; fighting for a glorious cause while the whole world watched.
Appreciate 4
UncleWede8176.00
MKSixer15749.50

06-10-2019, 04:28 AM   #13
Ivan Ivanov
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Drives: X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
A moment to remember and give thanks to the greatest generation.
I certainly admire these soldiers and honor their heroic deeds! Soldiers in any conflict are heroes.

However, it is necessary to understand why this landing operation took place on this D-day. It did not take place in the 1941, when Germany attacked the USSR. It did not take place in 1942, when the decisive battle took place in WWII - the Battle of Stalingrad.
The landing operation took place only in mid-1944, when the outcome of WWII was already a foregone conclusion, and just needed to be in time...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 06:52 AM   #14
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Ivanov View Post
I certainly admire these soldiers and honor their heroic deeds! Soldiers in any conflict are heroes.

However, it is necessary to understand why this landing operation took place on this D-day. It did not take place in the 1941, when Germany attacked the USSR. It did not take place in 1942, when the decisive battle took place in WWII - the Battle of Stalingrad.
The landing operation took place only in mid-1944, when the outcome of WWII was already a foregone conclusion, and just needed to be in time...
You mean when your fascist allies did a 180 on you and started wooping your ass. This in turn led to the Battle of Stalingrad, which was the turning point for Germany. The Germans lost the momentum and would never be able to recover. But let's not forget that just in 1939 the Nazis were your BFFs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
N54Yankee1698.00

06-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #15
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Keep on spouting your laughable Soviet propaganda nobody is buying it. Anyone who knows history knows you’re talking out of your ass. Forgone conclusion in ‘44? That’s absolutely hysterical.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #16
Ivan Ivanov
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Drives: X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Keep on spouting your laughable Soviet propaganda nobody is buying it. Anyone who knows history knows you’re talking out of your ass. Forgone conclusion in ‘44? That’s absolutely hysterical.
I am forced to engage in Soviet propaganda, because Putin pays me for this job.
I still have many difficult tasks here, elections in 2020, elections in other democratic countries - ohh, a lot of work.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #17
NickyC
Major General
Rep

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0ff View Post
75 years ago boys lied about their age, pretended to be men, go to war and fight for what they believed in, to help their fellow men.
hat off to everyone, was not a wonderful time by a long stretch

today, kids are confused about their genders and need safe spaces, demand fascism and communism.. where the hell did we go wrong?
Yep, it's permeated everything. On D-Day I was sure Google would update their search browser art to commemorate the event. I was wrong.

The next day, they had the rainbow flag celebrating pride day on their search engine art.

Priorities sure have shifted.
Appreciate 3
Delta03117358.50
lakefront193.00
Law4708.50

06-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #18
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep

Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:

Sir;
The only reason why it did not take place earlier was Winston Churchill who wanted to invade in the Mediterranean and proceed up through the Balkans and prevent the Soviets from dominating Eastern Europe.

There were two things that saved Stalingrad:
1. A hellacious winter
2. American trucks, tanks and supplies
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #19
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: BMW

On the question of whether the veterans want to return, I can say without doubt they do (not all, of course, but those that go). I know this because for many years the company I work for has sponsored Honor Flight in my state. Honor flight takes a chartered plane full of veterans on a day trip (from my state) to see their monuments in Washington D.C. including the WWII monument, Korean War Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial (wall), Marine Corps (Iwo Jima) statue, etc. They are surprised by an airport full of people who come to salute them as they depart, and a hero’s welcome when they return. On they flight home they receive “mail call” - cards and letters from friends, family and strangers thanking them. It is incredibly moving, there is a waiting list to go and to be an attendant (most need some assistance), and many say it was the best day of their lives. We are nearly out of WWII veterans, but continue on with Korean War, Vietnam War, Desert Storm and other wars which unfortunately create an endless pool of candidates for Honor Flight.

Many kept their mouths shut about their service, accomplishments and the horrors of war; they are shy of the limelight, but they really appreciate seeing their memorials and being honored as they deserve.
Appreciate 4
N54Yankee1698.00
UncleWede8176.00
David0ff829.50