Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

06-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #45
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There is so much more in life-learning that happens at school OUTSIDE of books, it's important.

Unless your kids are going into the family business and don't need to interact with anyone else.
With the combination of school shootings and increased political influence in schools I think youíll see home school programs and networks develop to get kids the social interaction they need.

Any potential drawback is nothing near the downsides of attending one of the degenerate hellholes known as our public schools.
Colossians 2:15
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #46
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

You survived, I survived, hell even Lups survived.

Shootings at theaters and concerts too, bombing at sporting events, even just walking down the mall. Going to deprive them of that as well? They will have to live in "the World" at some point, get them in on the ground floor running.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13435.50

06-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #47
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Quote:
You survived, I survived, hell even Lups survived.

Shootings at theaters and concerts too, bombing at sporting events, even just walking down the mall. Going to deprive them of that as well? They will have to live in "the World" at some point, get them in on the ground floor running.
What year did you graduate HS?
Colossians 2:15
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13435.50

06-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #48
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
In the year of our Lord, Nineteen hundred eighty-four
Appreciate 1
DonaldPump4979.00

06-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #49
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
iirc, hes so old it was before dodgeball was invented

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 5
DonaldPump4979.00
Now_Rudi5344.50
MKSixer13435.50

06-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #50
infinitekidM2C
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
I use to take my son there when he was younger. The high school kids would show up to try to lay smack on the younger kids. I would then target the high school kids and just decimate them. Walking out my son would have this look of awe in his eyes and I would tell him,"See, I told you dodgeball was my game in school" as we looked back at the carnage of crushed egos left behind. LOL.
Some proper father-son bonding...
Appreciate 3
      06-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #51
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
iirc, hes so old it was before dodgeball was invented
The movie took a bit of director's liberty when making up that famous line "IF you can dodge a wrench" IT was Dodge-rock in my days of grade school
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13435.50

06-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #52
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 340i xDrive and BMW X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Some proper father-son bonding...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #53
schoy
Captain
Rep

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Iím going to bite on this because it raises an interesting question. Should a 10-year-old child born with physical and/or mental disabilities be forced to play dodgeball during gym class? I think all of you (I hope all of you) would say ďnoĒ. For example, clearly a boy born without arms shouldnít be forced to play dodgeball. What about a boy with only one arm? Same answer? Letís get more gray then. A boy born with very poor physical coordination, has do extracurricular physical therapy? A boy that canít throw more than 10 mph? 15 mph? 20 mph? How about girls: should they be forced to play dodgeball with physically sttonger boys?

I think itís one thing for kids to play dodgeball during recess; participants join voluntarily. Itís another to be forced to play dodgeball given the massive disparities in physical size and strength in any given elementary school age group. If you think about it, school-required dodgeball is just a means for the larger bullies in the class to exert their dominance over he weaker ones in class, without any recorse for the weaker ones. They canít walk away. They canít even really fight back because they are confined to the rules of he game. Itís actually worse than if a bully takes your kids lunch money, because you can teach your kids to yse other means to fight back. In dodgeball though, youíre confined.

Another curious question (albeit an extreme example): would you be okay as a parent if an elemntary school required MMA as a gym sport?

Not saying I necessarily agree, but it raises an interesting question.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #54
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Iím going to bite on this because it raises an interesting question. Should a 10-year-old child born with physical and/or mental disabilities be forced to play dodgeball during gym class? I think all of you (I hope all of you) would say ďnoĒ. For example, clearly a boy born without arms shouldnít be forced to play dodgeball. What about a boy with only one arm? Same answer? Letís get more gray then. A boy born with very poor physical coordination, has do extracurricular physical therapy? A boy that canít throw more than 10 mph? 15 mph? 20 mph? How about girls: should they be forced to play dodgeball with physically sttonger boys?

I think itís one thing for kids to play dodgeball during recess; participants join voluntarily. Itís another to be forced to play dodgeball given the massive disparities in physical size and strength in any given elementary school age group. If you think about it, school-required dodgeball is just a means for the larger bullies in the class to exert their dominance over he weaker ones in class, without any recorse for the weaker ones. They canít walk away. They canít even really fight back because they are confined to the rules of he game. Itís actually worse than if a bully takes your kids lunch money, because you can teach your kids to yse other means to fight back. In dodgeball though, youíre confined.

Another curious question (albeit an extreme example): would you be okay as a parent if an elemntary school required MMA as a gym sport?

Not saying I necessarily agree, but it raises an interesting question.

I've held back from commenting in this thread to date. The chance, however, to actually agree with schoy on something caused me to comment.

I have no problem with dodgeball, but let's be honest here, the reality of it is that the larger kids in school will inherently be better at it and gang up on the little ones or those with less athletic ability. This is a fact.

As such, I absolutely don't think that dodgeball should be mandatory in school. Period. If they want to have a dodgeball team that folks can try out for and compete, that is fine, but to force kids to participate is just wrong.
      06-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #55
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep

Drives: 335xi

i dont know how it was at your schools, but in my schools growing up, no one was forced to participate. you either could or you could sit it out.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #56
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
i dont know how it was at your schools, but in my schools growing up, no one was forced to participate. you either could or you could sit it out.
When I went to school, participation was mandatory, as was playing the weird soccer on the butt scooter thing where everyone ran over your fingers. We also had mandatory baseball and flag football in middle school. I went to a public middle and high school in Florida. Private elementary. This would have been in the late 1980's and very early 1990's.
      06-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #57
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '16 F82 M4

Welcome to REAL LIFE.

Some kids are better/stronger then others just as some countries are better/stronger then others.

There is no fair/equal playing field and the sooner kids learn that lesson the better.

You guys giving out participation medals for last place or something?
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13435.50

06-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #58
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Welcome to REAL LIFE.

Some kids are better/stronger then others just as some countries are better/stronger then others.

There is no fair/equal playing field and the sooner kids learn that lesson the better.

I would think, that if you have read my posts, you should know that is not the type of person I am.

To note, however, that children be forced to play a game like dodgeball is inappropriate. There is no even playing field, but in life, most folks get to choose what they are best at and want to excel in. Someone of low IQ but very adept at art shouldn't be forced to work as a nuclear scientist. Someone of genius intellect but with a disability that prohibits him from lifting objects shouldn't be forced to be a construction worker.

It's the same thing here.
      06-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #59
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Clearly incapable of handling a set of balls heading for her face....
Appreciate 3
      06-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #60
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I was always one of the littlest kids growing up, given that I started school a year early and am just naturally thin. I freaking HATED dodgeball. Now I think its fun as hell and I've played a few times on a local league. But i'm an adult and can make that choice. I'm not forced into it. Forcing a kid who is obviously smaller and a target to play is to me the same as forcing a kid with a learning disability to get up in front of the class and struggle with a math problem on the board while everyone laughs and hurls insults.

You'd never have a PE class where you match up the nerdy little kid with the 160 pound 10 year old whose already shaving for a wrestling match. So split up the teams by size maybe? Or just kill the whole sport. No real loss there in my mind.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent10375.50
MKSixer13435.50

06-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #61
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep

Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

We used volleyballs as the hurling device and those probably hurt more than those little yellow things in the picture. I do remember that the little kids in the gym class were shown mercy and weren't bombarded in the skull or anything.
Mercy is a good thing to learn; I just remember laughing and smiling and no one getting hurt but I can also agree with Schoy's comment-hey if you can't play, ya shouldn't.
I remember the first time we had to climb ropes that were anchored way up in the gym's ceiling beams. Holy crap i was scared!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #62
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Welcome to REAL LIFE.

I would think, that if you have read my posts, you should know that is not the type of person I am.

To note, however, that children be forced to play a game like dodgeball is inappropriate. There is no even playing field, but in life, most folks get to choose what they are best at and want to excel in. Someone of low IQ but very adept at art shouldn't be forced to work as a nuclear scientist. Someone of genius intellect but with a disability that prohibits him from lifting objects shouldn't be forced to be a construction worker.

It's the same thing here.
I have and for the most part I agree with you on many issues. In saying that I am just not into "shielding" children/people from the realities of life. People have different skill sets that they are born with and that's ok. That's life. Understanding this at an early age is beneficial IMO.

Your examples made me think of my good buddy who is terrible at math but an awesome classical musician with a PH.D in music. He still had to struggle through the required math aspects of school to get his degree. Yeah it sucked and I felt bad for him as I have the math gene but he did it. You can't always remove an obstacle that's in your way as you go through life. Sometimes you just have to deal with it.

So some kids aren't athletic and aren't good at a sport (dodgeball) or whatever and are "forced" to play it in gym. Boo fucking hoo. As we all know they are going to encounter a lot worse then this in life.

Why "shield" them?
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 3
SakhirM49200.50
MKSixer13435.50

06-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #63
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Pfffffft!!

Are you guys actually complaining about a little girly game like dodgeball? Anyone here ever play, "Kill the Man with the Ball"? Now that's a freaking game.

Everyone takes a turn as the ball carrier. Everyone tackles you AND piling on was allowed! It built character, taught survival skills, proper evasion techniques and how not to be a whiny bitch.

Dodgeball. Ha!

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 8
      06-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #64
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Pfffffft!!

Are you guys actually complaining about a little girly game like dodgeball? Anyone here ever play, "Kill the Man with the Ball"? Now that's a freaking game.

Everyone takes a turn as the ball carrier. Everyone tackles you AND piling on was allowed! It built character, taught survival skills, proper evasion techniques and how not to be a whiny bitch.

Dodgeball. Ha!
AKA Smear the Queer. Best right along the shore as waves are crashing in
Appreciate 3
      06-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #65
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 340i xDrive and BMW X3 M40

Quote:
AKA Smear the Queer. Best right along the shore as waves are crashing in
Today it is called Smear the LGBQTABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZBinary.
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #66
1mm2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
Today it is called Smear the LGBQTABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZBinary.

Don't forget "fluid".
Appreciate 0