Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

06-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #89
AVB-AMG
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Garage List
[QUOTE=///M4ster Yoda;24899493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVB-AMG View Post
Just out of curiosity how do you know what the beliefs of a majority of Americans are? Just because they are YOUR beliefs doesn't make them the beliefs of a majority of Americans
///M4ster Yoda :
I know, because I can read and am curious enough to actually do the research to educate myself on that issue.
Also, I never said that my (religious) beliefs are the same as the majority of Americans. I do know that the majority of voters in 2016 did not vote for Donald Trump, which is very telling.
FYI - Many years ago, I was baptized and confirmed as an Episcopalian, part of the Anglican Church of England. For those that do not know, the Episcopal Church follows the via media or "middle way" between Protestant and Roman Catholic doctrine and practices: that is both Catholic and Reformed. But as I have grown older, and hopefully wiser, I am growing very frustrated with all of the silly rules of this and most other traditional religions, along with my increasing doubt and questioning of their dogmatic doctrines.

I recently read a report online published by the American Values Atlas (AVA). It is a dynamic interactive online map of the United States’ cultural landscape. The AVA draws upon data from more than 100,000 bilingual telephone interviews conducted among a random sample of Americans, with 40,000 interviews each year on political and cultural issue areas. Because of its large sample size, the AVA allows analysis of specific census regions, all 50 states, and even 30 major metropolitan areas, while providing a rare portrait of smaller religious communities and ethnic groups. Here is a link to that report that was published in Sept. 2017:

https://www.prri.org/research/americ...-unaffiliated/

Quoting from that report, here are their major findings:

1. White Christians now account for fewer than half of the America public. Today, only 43% of Americans identify as white and Christian, and only 30% as white and Protestant. In 1976, roughly eight in ten (81%) Americans identified as white and identified with a Christian denomination, and a majority (55%) were white Protestants.

2. White evangelical Protestants are in decline—along with white mainline Protestants and white Catholics. White evangelical Protestants were once thought to be bucking a longer trend, but over the past decade their numbers have dropped substantially. Fewer than one in five (17%) Americans are white evangelical Protestant, but they accounted for nearly one-quarter (23%) in 2006. Over the same period, white Catholics dropped five percentage points from 16% to 11%, as have white mainline Protestants, from 18% to 13%.

3. Non-Christian religious groups are growing, but they still represent less than one in ten Americans combined. Jewish Americans constitute 2% of the public while Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus each constitute only 1% of the public. All other non-Christian religions constitute an additional 1%.

4. America’s youngest religious groups are all non-Christian. Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists are all far younger than white Christian groups. At least one-third of Muslims (42%), Hindus (36%), and Buddhists (35%) are under the age of 30. Roughly one-third (34%) of religiously unaffiliated Americans are also under 30. In contrast, white Christian groups are aging. Slightly more than one in ten white Catholics (11%), white evangelical Protestants (11%), and white mainline Protestants (14%) are under 30. Approximately six in ten white evangelical Protestants (62%), white Catholics (62%), and white mainline Protestants (59%) are at least 50 years old.

5. The Catholic Church is experiencing an ethnic transformation. Twenty-five years ago, nearly nine in ten (87%) Catholics were white, non-Hispanic, compared to 55% today. Fewer than four in ten (36%) Catholics under the age of 30 are white, non-Hispanic; 52% are Hispanic.

6. Atheists and agnostics account for a minority of all religiously unaffiliated. Most are secular. Atheists and agnostics account for only about one-quarter (27%) of all religiously unaffiliated Americans. Nearly six in ten (58%) religiously unaffiliated Americans identify as secular, someone who is not religious; 16% of religiously unaffiliated Americans nonetheless report that they identify as a “religious person.”

7. There are 20 states in which no religious group comprises a greater share of residents than the religiously unaffiliated. These states tend to be more concentrated in the Western U.S., although they include a couple of New England states, as well. More than four in ten (41%) residents of Vermont and approximately one-third of Americans in Oregon (36%), Washington (35%), Hawaii (34%), Colorado (33%), and New Hampshire (33%) are religiously unaffiliated.

8. No state is less religiously diverse than Mississippi. The state is heavily Protestant and dominated by a single denomination: Baptist. Six in ten (60%) Protestants in Mississippi are Baptist. No state has a greater degree of religious diversity than New York.

9. The cultural center of the Catholic Church is shifting south. The Northeast is no longer the epicenter of American Catholicism—although at 41% Catholic, Rhode Island remains the most Catholic state in the country. Immigration from predominantly Catholic countries in Latin America means new Catholic populations are settling in the Southwest. In 1972, roughly seven in ten Catholics lived in either the Northeast (41%) or the Midwest (28%). Only about one-third of Catholics lived in the South (13%) or West (18%). Today, a majority of Catholics now reside in the South (29%) or West (25%). Currently, only about one-quarter (26%) of the U.S. Catholic population lives in the Northeast, and 20% live in the Midwest.

10. Jews, Hindus, and Unitarian-Universalists stand out as the most educated groups in the American religious landscape. More than one-third of Jews (34%), Hindus (38%), and Unitarian-Universalists (43%) hold post-graduate degrees. Notably, Muslims are significantly more likely than white evangelical Protestants to have at least a four-year college degree (33% vs. 25%, respectively).

11. Asian or Pacific-Islander Americans have a significantly different religious profile than other racial or ethnic groups. There are as many Asian or Pacific-Islander Americans affiliated with non-Christian religions as with Christian religious groups. And one-third (34%) are religiously unaffiliated.

12. Nearly half of LGBT Americans are religiously unaffiliated. Nearly half (46%) of Americans who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) are religiously unaffiliated. This is roughly twice the number of Americans overall (24%) who are religiously unaffiliated.

13. White Christians have become a minority in the Democratic Party. Fewer than one in three (29%) Democrats today are white Christian, compared to half (50%) one decade earlier. Only 14% of young Democrats (age 18 to 29) identify as white Christian. Forty percent identify as religiously unaffiliated.

14. White evangelical Protestants remain the dominant religious force in the GOP. More than one-third (35%) of all Republicans identify as white evangelical Protestant, a proportion that has remained roughly stable over the past decade. Roughly three-quarters (73%) of Republicans belong to a white Christian religious group.

Also, the Pew Research Center published their Religious Landscape Survey (RLS), in 2014. The RLS surveyed more than 35,000 Americans from all 50 states about their religious affiliations, beliefs and practices, and social and political views. Here are some links to the findings of that study:

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...udy/#religions

Party affiliation by religious group:

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...y-affiliation/

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...radition-trend

AVB-AMG

2016 BMW X5M
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:45 PM   #90
AVB-AMG
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=SakhirM4;24899580]
Quote:

As an Evangelical Christian, I am glad that you reopened a 6 month old thread so that I could find out what a terrible person I am. I never realized that before.
SakhirM4 :

I don't know you so I do not know if you are or are not a terrible person.
So are you one of those hypocritical Evangelical Christians...???
You tell me....

AVB-AMG

2016 BMW X5M
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #91
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

You talk too much. Less is more
Appreciate 4
UncleWede7776.50
gjm1201033.50
glennQNYC5424.50

06-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #92
AVB-AMG
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Would it be different if he wasn't white?
No.....

AVB-AMG

2016 BMW X5M
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #93
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:

SakhirM4 :

I don't know you so I do not know if you are or are not a terrible person.
So are you one of those hypocritical Evangelical Christians...???
You tell me....

AVB-AMG
You used EC in a negative connotation at least seven times in your post - only once did you use hypocritical with it. No I am not hypocritical, but I am an EC.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #94
NickyC
Major General
Rep

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
No.....

AVB-AMG
Then why did you feel the need to point out his color?
Appreciate 1
DonaldPump5820.00

06-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #95
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You talk too much. Less is more
Yup. I'm away on vacation (it's 5am here) and just skipped his/her/its whole post. I don't have time to read that much nonsense.

Delusions are strong with this one!
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC5424.50

06-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #96
AVB-AMG
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Yup. I'm away on vacation (it's 5am here) and just skipped his/her/its whole post. I don't have time to read that much nonsense.

///M4ster Yoda :

Anyone who does not have time to read when they are on vacation is probably also rather intentionally ignorant and ultimately foolish, since they have no real desire to learn anything new, let alone something that goes against their strong beliefs.

Go ahead and stick your head in the sand and refuse to educate yourself...
The purpose of this sort of forum is to discuss, question and debate ideas and beliefs. You do not have to agree with me or my stated opinions or beliefs. Unfortunately, for the detriment of the future of our great country, you are not alone in your unfortunate choice....

AVB-AMG

2016 BMW X5M
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #97
AVB-AMG
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Then why did you feel the need to point out his color?
Oh, you mean when I said that he is a "white nationalist"....?
Because he is......

BTW, does anyone else here remember the animated TV cartoon series back in the 1960's called Jonny Quest? If so, doesn't Mike Pence look just like Jonny Quest's father...?

AVB-AMG
Attached Images

2016 BMW X5M
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #98
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
///M4ster Yoda :

Anyone who does not have time to read when they are on vacation is probably also rather intentionally ignorant and ultimately foolish, since they have no real desire to learn anything new, let alone something that goes against their strong beliefs.

The purpose of this sort of forum is to discuss, question and debate ideas and beliefs. You do not have to agree with me or my stated opinions or beliefs. Unfortunately, for the detriment of the future of our great country, you are not alone in your unfortunate choice....

AVB-AMG
This is a kitesurfer clone. Sounds just like him. Everyone that disagrees with him is wrong, uneducated, with their head in the sand.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #99
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post

///M4ster Yoda :

AVB-AMG
Well I'm in Italy with my family and your posts are long winded and honestly full of liberal nonsense.

Less is more. Just in case you've never heard that expression. You need to be more SUCCINCT.

I'm not ignorant on what is happening with politics in this country at all. I understand all sides to a great many issues. I just agree with the right more then I agree with the left.

When I read posts from people like you and even when I speak with liberal family members I almost feel bad for you/them. Your getting all/most of your news/information from MSNBC and CNN. Sad.

We were just laughing at the Europeans this morning because all they know of American politics is CNN. They are more up shits creek then American Liberals.

Your issue and many many on your "side" is that you live In fantasyland.
Appreciate 3
SakhirM49421.00
DonaldPump5820.00
Run Silent11901.00

06-11-2019, 11:04 PM   #100
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:
///M4ster Yoda :

AVB-AMG
This is a kitesurfer clone. Sounds just like him. Everyone that disagrees with him is wrong, uneducated, with their head in the sand.
Funny as they (liberals) are the ones with their heads in the sand.

2016 election ring a bell?

The funny/sad part is that they are on the same path to destruction this cycle.

I'm predicting that they will nominate one of their many idiots who will lose to Trump. It's almost a forgone conclusion. Trump has many many faults but their candidates are far worse in so many ways.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #101
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Oh, you mean when I said that he is a "white nationalist"....?
Because he is......

BTW, does anyone else here remember the animated TV cartoon series back in the 1960's called Jonny Quest? If so, doesn't Mike Pence look just like Jonny Quest's father...?

AVB-AMG
That's not Dr. Quest - that his martial artist sidekick/security guard Race Bannon.

This is Dr. Benton Quest:

Appreciate 1
lakefront185.50

06-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #102
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Unfortunately, for the detriment of the future of our great country, you are not alone in your unfortunate choice....

AVB-AMG
That is one impressive opinion you have there.
Appreciate 1
DonaldPump5820.00

06-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #103
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
That's an insult to kitesurfer who has worked tirelessly to craft his inability to play well with others. Kite is on a whole different level. Now if this new guy comes back and threatens to take me to court, backed by his 7 figure income, well then I'll concede that you are correct.
Appreciate 4
minn195688.50
Run Silent11901.00
SakhirM49421.00

06-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #104
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Does that include after the decimal?
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #105
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
LOL, I forgot about that. Was that minn19 that came back to Kite's "7 figure" net worth with "0.0000001"? Classic.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #106
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

I'm solid 7 figures myself cleared 12, 879.23, straight ballin.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #107
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 19 F150, 19 M550 19 ZL1 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
LOL, I forgot about that. Was that minn19 that came back to Kite's "7 figure" net worth with "0.0000001"? Classic.
Nope, wish I did though.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #108
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Nope, wish I did though.
Have you settled yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #109
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 19 F150, 19 M550 19 ZL1 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
Have you settled yet?
No offer yet, still looking in the mailbox and for suspicious looking unmarked cars sitting outside my house.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent11901.00

06-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #110
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
That was me.....