New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Yesterday, 10:29 PM   #1
axool
Registered
Rep

Drives: f80

TIFU by Flushing my M2's brakes with Ate Typ 200

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've used Ate Typ 200 DOT 4 fluid in many cars over the past 20 years. Never had an issue. So when my 2020 M2 Competition was due for a flush, I ordered 2 liters from FCP Euro. Used my Motiv pressure bleeder and made quick work of the job. The next day I drive the car to work and start noticing a squeak from what sounds like the brake pedal. It starts getting worse the next couple of times I drive the car. I start digging for the source of the issue and can't find it. Googling to see if it's a common issue, I find a few forum posts of people having the same issue in their F30, F8x, etc cars after using Typ 200. Apparently, Typ 200 is not a Low Viscosity DOT 4 fluid. A few owners have even had BMW warranty their master cylinder because the dealers are unaware of the issue.

So I guess I'm picking up some OE BMW fluid from the dealer and thoroughly flushing the system again. Hope that fixes it. If not, the car is still under warranty for a few months.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:52 AM   #2
slilley
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

Yea, it seems that most cars now want the low-viscosity brake fluids now. I was also a long-time user of the ATE Typ 200 (and the blue stuff before it). Thanks for the PSA reminder!
Appreciate 0