New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

07-14-2022, 08:50 AM   #23
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
I also got this somewhat limited edition (5500 pcs) Prospex dive watch

There are three versions, but this what I got:
https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/p...ospex/spb255j1

They are 60s/70s throwback watches that have been updated:
https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/p...es_limited-2nd
Appreciate 3
Dino GT35121.00
Chaos236207.00
Nivarox1090.00
      07-19-2022, 01:44 AM   #24
Bornwith2hands
Rep

Drives: Honda City

Hey Boston4, seems the Seiko owner is speaking through your voice . I'd like to move beyond brands that have already earned a legendary status and yes, it's a Seiko movement but not a Seiko movement that's present in either of the three Seikos I own. Sadly, the 4R36 doesn't work anymore; it conked within a couple of years. The VD63 quartzes, however; are keeping time since 2016 and 2018 like clockwork!

Well, it all boils down to I looking for a Seiko movement to try my luck again but it should not come within a Seiko exterior. The Ratio Skysurfer fits the bill.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 08:49 AM   #25
Boston4
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornwith2hands View Post
Hey Boston4, seems the Seiko owner is speaking through your voice . I'd like to move beyond brands that have already earned a legendary status and yes, it's a Seiko movement but not a Seiko movement that's present in either of the three Seikos I own. Sadly, the 4R36 doesn't work anymore; it conked within a couple of years. The VD63 quartzes, however; are keeping time since 2016 and 2018 like clockwork!

Well, it all boils down to I looking for a Seiko movement to try my luck again but it should not come within a Seiko exterior. The Ratio Skysurfer fits the bill.
Ha. I have owned Seikos but don't own any at the moment. Each of the other ones I listed are solid choices, though. NH38A will be reliable but not very accurate. The problem with a lot of these "startup" watch companies is that they're just cash grabs marking up a cheap product.

Here's a 40mm case that looks awful similar to the Ratio is using. It's $49 and If you bought 1000, I'm guessing it's closer to $20:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255...756629512%21sh

Here's a NH38A movement for $27 in bulk:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...shopping&seo=1

Add a few bucks for a custom dial and hands, and you've got a watch for well under $100 assembled in China by a contractor. Sell it for $190 or $200 and you're looking at 70% margins. You don't do any production, you don't really have any overhead, and your main expenses are marketing and advertising (read: "reviews" in watch blogs).

There are microbrands that make really thoughtfully designed watches with good, well-regulated movements (see: Ming, Halios, Farer). There are also "microbrands" that are basically dropshipping companies. My gut says that this is the latter.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 04:04 AM   #26
Bornwith2hands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston4 View Post
For the money, you could certainly do worse, but personally, the NH38A would not be my first choice for a watch movement. You can find microbrands or more established brands that are (a) already sold rather than being offered for preorder, and (b) using higher quality movements that will be more accurate and robust.

Some similar style watches that I'd consider:
  • Hamilton Khaki Automatic
  • Laco Aachen
  • Baltic HMS002

You mentioned that you don't want to consider Seiko - they pack a pretty heavy punch in this price range, but I omitted them because of that. Worth noting: the Ratio watch that you're looking at is a Seiko movement.
Somehow, I like to direct my disposable income towards brands that most are unaware of. If it works out, fine; else, sometimes, we all come across ammo that doesn't fire. Replace with a new cartridge, in that case.

P.S. One of the Seiko-s I currently own. Brought it down on 2016 from Creation watches.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bornwith2hands; 07-28-2022 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: Forgot to provide the pic.
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35121.00
      07-31-2022, 01:33 AM   #27
SteezeforMyBimmerMon
Private
Rep

Drives: '16 BMW M2, '22 Subaru Outback

Hamilton... all day long. Mostly all using the ETA movements.. which are not stellar, but the they are solid workhorses and the same thing you get in many of the Tags and also sharing base movements with some Longines, Breitling and Omegas if I recall correctly. In 100 years, your family will be able to get replacement parts for it because those movements are so widely used in so many watches, there will be a market. Construction is all solid. Just my opinion of course. If you are into marketing BS, the brand has some history as well although it is owned by the swiss now.
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
Cos270608.50
      08-15-2022, 04:55 PM   #28
Johnny-J5
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: 2009 135i F1 Sauber #106

Check out this video from Teddy B. His videos are quite informative and he’s quite the watch enthusiast.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 02:27 AM   #29
Bornwith2hands
Rep

Well folks, I finally went ahead and pulled the trigger on this one. I'd like to hear how you feel about it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      08-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #30
Johnny-J5
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: 2009 135i F1 Sauber #106

Thanks for sharing! The specs look good. 40hr power reserve, hacking seconds, 200m water resistance. Of all the dials the blue is my favorite, the sunburst design speaks for itself.

The lume also looks interesting with lots of it. How does it sit on the wrist? What’s the clasp like?

The only thing that sets me back is lack of date. I have a Tudor black bay 58 and it puts me off not having this feature
Appreciate 0