New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Closed Thread

06-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #3147
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

whoa, cool shot! It seems the pic has too much of a bluish hue, unless you did that in post on purpose. What's that blur on the left side? dirty lens? you should be able to clone that out easily.
      06-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #3148
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep

Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
bluish hue not intended i just thought it looked ok when i did some editing in lightroom.. bottom left is the tip of another rock.. i should have cropped that out..

edit: the blur on the left must have been from the lens.. i will see if i can fix that.. editing skill not that great.. can it be fixed in lightroom or do i need photoshop?
      06-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #3149
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

I meant that thing in the top left area in the sky.... looks like a blur spot.
      06-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #3150
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

btw, Tim, I liked your last shot... the way you desaturated the colors.
      06-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #3151
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
whoa, cool shot! It seems the pic has too much of a bluish hue, unless you did that in post on purpose. What's that blur on the left side? dirty lens? you should be able to clone that out easily.
Based on the heavy vignetting, I'd say that he did it on purpose. I would have moved the horizon down and gotten all of the masts in the frame, but that's just me.

All advice here is in the spirit of helping each other....I think.

Dave
      06-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #3152
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I meant that thing in the top left area in the sky.... looks like a blur spot.
you are right yes i saw it. it must bee from the lens, maybe sweat it was noon when i took the picture. today i learned that too much sun its not very good, i guess afternoon shots are better, but honestly i fell in love with night photography, now i need to develop the skills for it..

one more shot i took today on my little drive to the sea. in real life the sea was bluer! i didnt get the color the way i wanted. although i didnt actually try, it was more of a point and shoot shot.
please advice on anything you spot

06-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #3153
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
you are right yes i saw it. it must bee from the lens, maybe sweat it was noon when i took the picture. today i learned that too much sun its not very good, i guess afternoon shots are better, but honestly i fell in love with night photography, now i need to develop the skills for it..

one more shot i took today on my little drive to the sea. in real life the sea was bluer! i didnt get the color the way i wanted. although i didnt actually try, it was more of a point and shoot shot.
please advice on anything you spot

Your problem with color is white balance ("WB"), which is almost always a problem with this type water shot. If you shoot in RAW then when converting to jpeg you can adjust WB by taking a point on a medium grey spot, like his hat or the bucket shadow (or whatever that white thing is to his left). If your software doesn't allow for that, then you can move the sliders, usually reducing the blue channel a little (RGB means Red-Blue-Green in case you didn't realize it). This kind of shot exemplifies why you should shoot in RAW. The camera almost always gets WB wrong in these conditions. You can still work with WB on a jpeg, but RAW gives you more adjustment range.

I like your composition here better than with the ship, but I would have probably gotten the whole of the big rock into the shot. You cut off just a little behind the fisherman. When you cut off a little it look unintentional, when you cut off a lot it looks like you meant it.

Keep it up.

Dave
      06-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #3154
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I agree with Dave on the shooting in RAW mode so you can correct white balance issues in PP. There is also a way to correct for WB in camera IF you have the white balance cards and force the camera to shoot white as you want it to.

As far as your second picture is concerned I would differ with Dave and probably crop the photo to include only the rock he is sitting on and the sea to the left and above the subject...that would focus the shot on the man fishing and the sea only. IMO the green algae of the rocks behind detract from the photo...just my .02
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #3155
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post

As far as your second picture is concerned I would differ with Dave and probably crop the photo to include only the rock he is sitting on and the sea to the left and above the subject...that would focus the shot on the man fishing and the sea only. IMO the green algae of the rocks behind detract from the photo...just my .02
I think that we DO agree. I meant that he should either crop more agressively or get the whole rock in. He clipped off a bit of the rock and it looks like an accident now.

The algae doesn't bother me in the least, but I do think that a strong crop of the man and water in front of him would have been more powerful than as is.

Dave
      06-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #3156
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]

Robert F. Kennedy (RFK) Bridge by GQjai, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #3157
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Nice one TL.
      06-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #3158
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
There are some technical imperfections in this shot, BUT action always trumps technicalities:

Bad morning to be a chipmunk... by dcstep, on Flickr

Shot with my 7D and 500mm, plus the 1.4x TC, hand held at 1/1600-second, f/5.6 and ISO 800.

Dave
      06-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #3159
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I think that we DO agree. I meant that he should either crop more agressively or get the whole rock in. He clipped off a bit of the rock and it looks like an accident now.

The algae doesn't bother me in the least, but I do think that a strong crop of the man and water in front of him would have been more powerful than as is.

Dave
Gotcha

To the OP it still is a nice picture though for sure
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #3160
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Nice one TL.
thanks Dave. --Tim
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #3161
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: white 135

nice shots folks.

I tryed to clean up the fisherman picture, but with the low quality jpeg, there was really no helping it.

Another nice night shot TL

Dave, you're always at the right place at the right time it seems!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #3162
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
There are some technical imperfections in this shot, BUT action always trumps technicalities:

Dave
I've heard of flying squirrels...not chipmunks. Nice action shot...

Tim...I think I like this shot better than the one you have posted in the night thread. Little more action with the lights on the water
      06-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #3163
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Your problem with color is white balance ("WB"), which is almost always a problem with this type water shot. If you shoot in RAW then when converting to jpeg you can adjust WB by taking a point on a medium grey spot, like his hat or the bucket shadow (or whatever that white thing is to his left). If your software doesn't allow for that, then you can move the sliders, usually reducing the blue channel a little (RGB means Red-Blue-Green in case you didn't realize it). This kind of shot exemplifies why you should shoot in RAW. The camera almost always gets WB wrong in these conditions. You can still work with WB on a jpeg, but RAW gives you more adjustment range.

I like your composition here better than with the ship, but I would have probably gotten the whole of the big rock into the shot. You cut off just a little behind the fisherman. When you cut off a little it look unintentional, when you cut off a lot it looks like you meant it.

Keep it up.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
I agree with Dave on the shooting in RAW mode so you can correct white balance issues in PP. There is also a way to correct for WB in camera IF you have the white balance cards and force the camera to shoot white as you want it to.

Quote:

Dave
thank you guys for all your comments and advices.
i didnt crop the fisherman (or the boat) at all really, the second rock was by accident, actually the sea there is like a gulf and if i turned the camera more to the left to hide the one rock i would have had land on the other side and i wanted the fisherman to open seas. so crop should have been my choice here..
i will try some more editing see whats happens..
anw i'm learning a lot of staff from you guys and your constructive comments so thank you very much..

TL my god man, excellent shot, you are my idol
      06-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #3164
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Ouch!! Getting grabbed by a hawk is bad enough, but getting grabbed by the face??

Great shot, Dave.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #3165
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Ouch!! Getting grabbed by a hawk is bad enough, but getting grabbed by the face??

Great shot, Dave.
Thanks.

The first thing he ate was the head and then the guts.
      06-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #3166
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post

Dave, you're always at the right place at the right time it seems!
Thanks.

Actually, just so the noobs know, that kind of shot comes from training your lens on dozens of perched hawks, hoping that they'll come up with a catch AND the light'll be right AND they'll fly at you instead of away, etc., etc. I got that shot after only about 10-minutes of waiting that particular morning, but it was probably one-in-fifty tries. Some of the dry runs involved 45-minutes of waiting with no result other than tail feathers.

The two biggest tools in the nature photographer's bag are, knowing the subject's likely behaviour and patience. A not too distant third tool is luck. It's a bit like fishing.

Dave
      06-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #3167
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: white 135

Quote:
Thanks.

Actually, just so the noobs know, that kind of shot comes from training your lens on dozens of perched hawks, hoping that they'll come up with a catch AND the light'll be right AND they'll fly at you instead of away, etc., etc. I got that shot after only about 10-minutes of waiting that particular morning, but it was probably one-in-fifty tries. Some of the dry runs involved 45-minutes of waiting with no result other than tail feathers.

The two biggest tools in the nature photographer's bag are, knowing the subject's likely behaviour and patience. A not too distant third tool is luck. It's a bit like fishing.

Dave
also helps that you live in an area with lots of wildlife.

I'm going to have to make my way out there one of these days, I need to save some money first before doing that though.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #3168
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
also helps that you live in an area with lots of wildlife.

I'm going to have to make my way out there one of these days, I need to save some money first before doing that though.
I'd love to host you. I use my M3 as a shooting blind.

My Flickr friends in Mississauga and Etobicoke post lots of wildlife. Where are you in Ontario?

Dave