New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-19-2022, 11:56 AM   #23
shoei
Banned
Rep

Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
My 2016 X6 50. I had 2 E71s; a 2010 50 and a 2013 ///M. They were the same other than the power. When my lease was up on the 2013, Decided to go with the F16 50 due to one of the packages I didn’t like in the ///M. I didn’t test drive it because I assumed it would be the same. My bad. I hated it. It was nothing like any of my previous BMWs. It was floaty and the steering was ridiculously loose even with Sports + settings. What happened to the stiff suspension and tight steering? Handling sucked. I lasted 3 months and eventually found a 2016 ///M at a dealer and switched out. It cost me a chunk of change to get out of the lease but the world was right again.
That was such a confusing read. My goodness with all the car codes
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Dino GT35134.50
540iSUP704.00
cmyx6go15713.00
      03-19-2022, 11:59 AM   #24
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Drives: GS X5

spending so much to mod cars when i was younger. i spent way too much $$ when i could have been investing. looking back though, i'm not sure how i could have convinced myself that i was making an unwise decision. i was having too much fun... maybe that's just part of life
rcaso26331.00
      03-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #25
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I added the years and models so you could keep up.
TiMSport12796.50
      03-19-2022, 12:17 PM   #26
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
I added the years and models so you could keep up.
Yes yes, it was VERY detailed, lol. In fact, so detailed now I'm curious to see one of your recipes.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 03:57 PM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I dunno, guys. I usually make very good decisions in purchases, and if the thing costs more, I put in even more effort/research before pulling the trigger. As such, I pride myself in my buying prowess as I don't really make any bad decisions.

HOWEVER(!), I did make a mistake getting into a business relationship, but it was due to extenuating circumstances. I was in a rush to buy a new home and I thought that this real estate lawyer was decent. Little did I know that he was borderline insane, on the verge of a mental breakdown. I don't recall the specifics but he seemed quite unstable/unprofessional when I finally met him in person, so I decided to cut my losses. He was literally having a crazy fit (picture Rain Man) and his secretary probably knew what was up trying to calm him as a child when I said that I didn't wanna retain him anymore. Luckily, it was just at the very beginning of our association so even though he demanded that 'I pay for his services rendered', it ended up being the best $20 I ever spend to escapte that situation.

To this day my friend brings it up occasionally yelling "CRAZY LAWYER!!!! CRAZY LAWYER!!!" whenever appropriate lol.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 2
Buug95917394.50
Bunnny219.50
      03-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #28
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I dunno, guys. I usually make very good decisions in purchases, and if the thing costs more, I put in even more effort/research before pulling the trigger. As such, I pride myself in my buying prowess as I don't really make any bad decisions.

HOWEVER(!), I did make a mistake getting into a business relationship, but it was due to extenuating circumstances. I was in a rush to buy a new home and I thought that this real estate lawyer was decent. Little did I know that he was borderline insane, on the verge of a mental breakdown. I don't recall the specifics but he seemed quite unstable/unprofessional when I finally met him in person, so I decided to cut my losses. He was literally having a crazy fit (picture Rain Man) and his secretary probably knew what was up trying to calm him as a child when I said that I didn't wanna retain him anymore. Luckily, it was just at the very beginning of our association so even though he demanded that 'I pay for his services rendered', it ended up being the best $20 I ever spend to escapte that situation.

To this day my friend brings it up occasionally yelling "CRAZY LAWYER!!!! CRAZY LAWYER!!!" whenever appropriate lol.
Must have been outside Québec as Notary are the one involve in Real Estate Transaction in La Belle Province
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 07:19 PM   #29
shoei
Banned
Rep

I just bought two motorcycles so ask me the question again in a month just in case.
Appreciate 6
540iSUP704.00
Dino GT35134.50
Tommy-G4486.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      03-19-2022, 07:23 PM   #30
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
My only buyer's remorse was the boat that I bought in the late 1980's. It was only one year old (used) when I bought it from a boat dealer, and nothing but headaches from the day that I picked it up. I wouldn't call it a lemon, because that would imply that others that were built were good. The manufacturer used such cheap materials and nothing marine-grade, and the whole thing literally fell apart.

I do have non-buyer's remorse on one thing, though. Back in 1995, I was offered the mother-of-all deals on a brand new E36 M3. The sales manager of a BMW dealership got burned by a customer, who special-ordered the car with every single option that could be removed deleted from the order and then backed out after the car was delivered to the dealership. Nobody in their right mind coming to the dealership from off the street would want a car with every option deleted, except someone who wanted the lightest car possible to race it. Go figure. The deal that I was offered to "make that car go away" was so good that no sane person would turn it down...but I did.....
540iSUP704.00
Dino GT35134.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      03-19-2022, 07:35 PM   #31
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Must have been outside Québec as Notary are the one involve in Real Estate Transaction in La Belle Province
Ya, the system here is much more streamlined and less fussing about.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 07:44 PM   #32
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My only buyer's remorse was the boat that I bought in the late 1980's. It was only one year old (used) when I bought it from a boat dealer, and nothing but headaches from the day that I picked it up. I wouldn't call it a lemon, because that would imply that others that were built were good. The manufacturer used such cheap materials and nothing marine-grade, and the whole thing literally fell apart.

I do have non-buyer's remorse on one thing, though. Back in 1995, I was offered the mother-of-all deals on a brand new E36 M3. The sales manager of a BMW dealership got burned by a customer, who special-ordered the car with every single option that could be removed deleted from the order and then backed out after the car was delivered to the dealership. Nobody in their right mind coming to the dealership from off the street would want a car with every option deleted, except someone who wanted the lightest car possible to race it. Go figure. The deal that I was offered to "make that car go away" was so good that no sane person would turn it down...but I did.....
I've had that happen to me a few times now! I was just talking about it with a friend earlier today but she remembered how I lucked out on my 2016 M3. I wanted a F80 but it had to be 6mt. Was at dealership sitting in my SA's office where we were about to put in a build (literally no manuals were sitting on any lots) when there's all this yelling and screaming from inside the dealership. Long story short, customer did an individual build M3. It arrived to LA finally after the obligatory 16weeks and customer flew down from SF to collect his new car. When they pulled his car out when he arrived, all was great except? The car was manual and he had ordered dct, lol. Even though they offered all these crazy discounts on the car he couldn't take it because he didn't know how to drive stick lol. I just happened to be right place right time and I remember my SA looking at me and saying - "I need you to go buy me a lotto ticket." Car had just about every option I wanted, in the exterior and interior color I was going to order and so I ended up leaving within 30 mins in that M3.

'21 Monster 937+ Was looking for an older Ducati (S2r) and I stumbled across a '21 with 408 miles. I was confused cuz it was at a BMW Motard dealership so I called. They had a customer who felt it was too much bike and turned it in for something different. They didn't know what to do with it (German and British only) and willing to basically let it for for nothing. So all fees, tax license reg + crate fees from SF to LA? 11K all in. Yes to that all day every day.
Appreciate 4
Buug95917394.50
vreihen1615256.00
540iSUP704.00
KRS_SN13515.00
      03-19-2022, 09:23 PM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
CARS! I've made bad decisions. Done some impulse buying. Glad I'm old. Don't really care about cars now (that much). Just want something fun. Easy to drive. Paid for - most important. That there tells you I don't care about cars anymore. Will never let another car put me in debt. Without going into detail, I've let cars control part of my life. I'm free of that now. House paid for, cars, wife's and mine, paid for. All done with that.
This is how my dad feels but probably not as extreme as your case. I think out-of-warranty BMW ownership really beat him down. He's always wanted a 911 or S-class but he's mostly stopped caring about cars now. He's in his late 50s now and wants to just prepare for retirement and not waste any more money or have any more headaches.

He got a Macan S a couple years ago and just plans to drive that indefinitely. Only 7500 miles on it, so it should last many years. He considered a Boxster but ultimately decided it wasn't comfortable enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 02:28 PM   #34
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes yes, it was VERY detailed, lol. In fact, so detailed now I'm curious to see one of your recipes.
Actually, unless I’m trying something new, I don’t follow a recipe. I just go off memory. Even when trying something new, I will improvise. Especially if it calls for one clove of garlic. Who only uses one clove of garlic?!?!
Dino GT35134.50
JJ 911SC22403.50
shoei7779.00
Tommy-G4486.50
antgenn319.00
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      03-20-2022, 09:11 PM   #35
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Last year's vacation to St. Lucia. The pictures sure did look a whole lot better than the actual hotel.
We went to St. Lucia years back and while it was not I didn't love it. When I hear people talk about how much they enjoy it I wonder if I missed something. Where did you stay and did you at least have a nice time?
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      03-21-2022, 12:18 AM   #36
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Last year's vacation to St. Lucia. The pictures sure did look a whole lot better than the actual hotel.
We went to St. Lucia years back and while it was not I didn't love it. When I hear people talk about how much they enjoy it I wonder if I missed something. Where did you stay and did you at least have a nice time?
It was a recommended Costco all inclusive. Pictures looked great. We got there, we realized it was like Club Med from 1975. No updates. Though we did end up having a good time.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #37
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Is it good or bad that I can't think of anything.....
Good that nothing jumps out
Bad that my memory sucks b/c I know there was plenty of things I regret buying
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15713.00
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      03-22-2022, 12:02 AM   #38
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep

Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

I used to have an Integra GSR when I was in my 20's and that car turned out to be the biggest piece of shit! Worst thing I ever bought
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 10:59 AM   #39
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Buyer's remorse

1. 1970 Mercury Capri with anemic 1600cc engine. If I'd waited 6 months I could've bought the same car, but with the new 2000cc overhead cam engine for only $50.00 more.

2. 1981 Dodge K-Car. Total POS. By 25,000 miles, the dashboard literally fell off the mounts, so had to keep putting in larger PK screws - plastic crap! By only 5000 miles, the suspension sounded like the car had 500,000 miles on it with no maintenance.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #40
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Damn - must have been a Bayliner.
vreihen1615256.00
      03-22-2022, 11:12 AM   #41
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

I can't think of anything. I usually research pretty well and I'm not an impulse buyer.

Probably for another thread, I do have sellers remorse. I regret not having kept the homes I bought and sold when we moved.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #42
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Ah, yeah, this is my specialty. I make a lot of semi expensive purchases, on needless bullshit. You get the wild hair up your a$$ and convince yourself you need it. It all started when I got divorced. I had next to no money, the ex wife was pretty much awarded it all. It started off with building a computer, that I maxed out credit cards for, because I thought I needed to build the coolest computer on the block. $5,000 computers are never a good investment. Technology just moves too fast, unless you have the disposable income.

Second was RC Cars. I convinced myself into getting into 1/8th scale electric buggies. These were like $1,200 each. I bought 3 of them, in a year. I got tired of running them up and down the street, and wanted to track them. Well, the closest tracks, were all over an hour away. Id get to the track, run them for 15-20 minutes, and break an axle or a control arm, all parts I couldn't afford to have spares of. I still have all 3 of the RC cars, they're 12 years old, now, and are worthless. The new tech, these would never run against, anything, at this point.

Then there are cars. I've had over 30 cars in the last 29 years of driving. Half of them I've spend $10,000 or more, modifying. My M4 is my first car that cost over $100k MSRP. I figured I'd order everything and be done with it. Well, that's never the case. Most of the time, I convince myself that I need a certain car, only to own it for 6 months, and want to get rid of it. I've done that with my last 5-6 cars, now. My M4 is double any other car payment, I've had, in the past, but it's the first car that I've bought, that I didn't feel like getting rid of, 3 months, later. Now, would it be gone, tomorrow, if I could get an allocation for a 992 GTS, at MSRP, yes.

I have a 2021 Sonic Gray Honda Accord Touring. I "like" the car. Its my commuter. Very comfortable, and plush for an Accord. Has every option known to man. But, lately, I'm convincing myself to get rid of it, and get a Model Y Performance. Which will most certainly be a bad idea.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 11:41 AM   #43
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

LOL, the one thing that comes to mind was many years ago when I first got married....I travelled a lot for business at the time so on this particular trip I happened to be in Aspen, CO. After my day was done, I visited a Porsche store that sold leather goods.
I saw a really nice looking wallet and impulsively, I bought it. Now mind you, this was about 24 years ago and at the time, it was around $350.00

Once I thought about having to go home and tell my wife I spent $350 on a wallet, I began to sweat big time. I returned to the store the next day, and tried to return it. I was told there were no returns allowed, so I had to keep it.

So yes - there was a ton of buyer's remorse about that purchase (especially with telling the wifey) but you want to know what? I STILL have the wallet - it's incredibly well made and hasn't broken down in all this time LOL.

Last edited by BMWGUYinCO; 03-22-2022 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go15713.00
Dino GT35134.50
Buug95917394.50
      03-22-2022, 04:19 PM   #44
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Damn - must have been a Bayliner.
Don't you know it! The deck plywood rotted away in two years, the walk-through windshield wouldn't stay closed due to hull flex, and one of the side windows literally exploded and threw glass shards all over the front passenger seat from hitting a wake...at 5 MPH!

My last outing ended with me and another person paddling it across the bay from the NJ side to Staten Island (NY), using only a water ski and the emergency paddle. Bayliner was sooooooo cheap in the US Marine ownership days that they actually used vinyl magnetic strip (as in a magnetic business card) glued to the inside of the flywheel as a magneto exciter. How long do you think that it will stay glued in the heat of an internal combustion engine? Four years. When it comes unglued, the engine won't even spark the plugs.

My family owned boats my entire life, and for at least three generations before me. That Baylemon was the biggest pile of toss ever put in the water, and I seriously would rather sail across the Florida Straights on a Cuban refugee raft than cross a pond in a Bayliner. Heck, I'd cross the English Channel in Jeremy Clarkson's Nissank pickup truck before getting into another Bayliner.....

Last edited by vreihen16; 03-22-2022 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4122.50