New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #45
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Stride is definitely shorter, but 5K time is a little shorter as well. I cut another :07 off my timed 5K from December on last night's run. Under 29 now!!!

On the strides, I used to run in such a fashion that I was striking my front heel about 6 inches in front of my trailing toes. Now, front heel strikes at about my toe knuckles on my trailing foot. Trying to adjust my breathing now.

The other difference is that my hammies are taking a different pounding, and complaining about it. After finishing the 5K distance, I ran the extra 1/2 mile at my more accustomed stride, and the tightness almost immediately released.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      01-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #46
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

The other difference is that my hammies are taking a different pounding, and complaining about it. After finishing the 5K distance, I ran the extra 1/2 mile at my more accustomed stride, and the tightness almost immediately released.
This is intriguing and I think this makes sense, I actually got a lot of hamstring tightness as I made the adjustment to shorter striding. I figured it was to do with the hamstrings on a different stride timing, trigger and adapting to the pull phase. It definitely cleared up for me.
      01-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #47
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
This is intriguing and I think this makes sense, I actually got a lot of hamstring tightness as I made the adjustment to shorter striding. I figured it was to do with the hamstrings on a different stride timing, trigger and adapting to the pull phase. It definitely cleared up for me.
Hope springs eternal! And maybe an old (fart) dog can learn new tricks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #48
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Good job, dude! Working on form is mundane and tiresome, but should pay big dividends! 👍
      01-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #49
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Good job, dude! Working on form is mundane and tiresome, but should pay big dividends! 👍
We're not too old for this shh...haha.

Technique, technique, technique.
      02-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #50
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

New high score for me for a month: 105.6 miles! 😬
Attached Images

Dlpfcb478.50
SherM4n630.00
bloke7957.00
      02-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #51
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

SMASHED it tonight. Usual pace of 9:30-9:50/ was dropped to 5:20-5:50/ and total distance went from 3.6 to 5.7

All I had to do was push a button in RunKeeper

Measure distance in km. Damned if those Europeans didn't know something!
      02-06-2020, 07:42 AM   #52
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
SMASHED it tonight. Usual pace of 9:30-9:50/ was dropped to 5:20-5:50/ and total distance went from 3.6 to 5.7

All I had to do was push a button in RunKeeper

Measure distance in km. Damned if those Europeans didn't know something!
      02-10-2020, 01:24 PM   #53
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Took yesterday off from running after seeing a new high score for miles in a week!
Attached Images

02-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #54
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

is anyone using a recent iWatch and data from the watches heart monitor ?

Last edited by overcoil; 02-12-2020 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #55
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
is anyone suing a recent iWatch and data from the watches heart monitor ?
I am not - yet at least.
      02-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #56
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Running IN THE DARK is even more difficult than usual. I didn't get time until well after sunset, so had to run my "City" route, with street lights that aren't synchronized with my pace, curbs, uneven sidewalks.

This shorter pace I'm also noticing a lot more semi-painful strikes on the ball of my foot. Since time was going to be off, I stretched out the stride thru about 1/2 the run last night and that ball pain was relieved. Flat-er strike overall takes some of the pressure off the ball of the foot.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #57
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Always so tough to run through the city - you're right, the lights never seem to be synchronized with running pace. Have to be a bit more flexible on the route and be willing to make random turns right or left to make up for it. Still annoying though!
      02-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #58
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Oh, and that random by the bus shelter, sucking on something with a butane lighter in the bowl. Nah, that's not bad for running. . .
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #59
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Always so tough to run through the city - you're right, the lights never seem to be synchronized with running pace. Have to be a bit more flexible on the route and be willing to make random turns right or left to make up for it. Still annoying though!
I run through Baltimore City, love it. My pace is definitely faster in the city. In what is supposedly one of the most dangerous urban areas in the country... the people are way cool...always make room on the sidewalk and always give me the right of way in the roadway. In the summer always willing to toss a free fresh bottle of water or make an encouraging comment.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #60
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep

Drives: AW E92 M3

Lets keep the thread alive...Share your PRs for each race distance!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #61
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

I did some interval workout yesterday - trying to get that speed back!
Attached Images

02-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #62
overcoil
Major General
Rep

^^^^

where was the above run done ? I ask because of the repetitiveness of the elevation
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #63
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
^^^^

where was the above run done ? I ask because of the repetitiveness of the elevation
I was on a high school track. The elevation thing is weird to me... I think that must have been a glitch? There is a slight bank to the track, but I didn't think it was 8 feet!
      02-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #64
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was on a high school track. The elevation thing is weird to me... I think that must have been a glitch? There is a slight bank to the track, but I didn't think it was 8 feet!
That almost looks like what would have happened if I had a fitness trainer running back in my college days at UC Santa Barbara. There was a hill about a mile from my dorm, the main entrance to the school. I'd run down that direction, down the beach a ways, then back and do 5-10 sprints up/down that hill. Probably 200 yards.

Ahhh, to be young and fit and carefree. . .

Wait, this isn't the Old Farts thread, is it? And where are my pants????
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #65
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That almost looks like what would have happened if I had a fitness trainer running back in my college days at UC Santa Barbara. There was a hill about a mile from my dorm, the main entrance to the school. I'd run down that direction, down the beach a ways, then back and do 5-10 sprints up/down that hill. Probably 200 yards.

Ahhh, to be young and fit and carefree. . .

Wait, this isn't the Old Farts thread, is it? And where are my pants????
(old farts thread...)

And hill sprints are NO FUN. There are some brutal hills in my area. I try to run them on purpose every now and then. Dread it on the way, hate it while I'm doing them, but happy once they are finished....
      02-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #66
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep

Drives: AW E92 M3

I did some interval work as well today, slow 1 mile warm up into 5 x 1 Mile repeats on a 2 Minute Rest between splits. Maintained a great low heart rate and was able to be back to 115bpm in the 2 Minute Rest. Coupled the 1 Mile repeats into faster splits peaking around 5:30 pace. Love when tons of hard training pays off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50