New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Closed Thread

01-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #5809
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
The new Series III TCs autofocus faster with the new Series II lenses. So, if you have a Series II lens, then you should get both TCs in the S-III version, if you can afford the $500 each toll. The 1.4x TC-II had excellent IQ and so does the III, but you won't gain in performance unless you have one of the new S-II lenses. The 2.0x TC-II had debatable IQ and there's broad agreement that the IQ of the TC-III is much improved. So, if you want a 2.0x, and care about IQ, then you'll buy the TC-III even though you won't gain the faster AF speed.

I only own a S-II 1.4x TC because none of my camera bodies will AF with apertures smaller than f/5.6 and I don't own any S-II lenses... yet. When they're readily available, I'll likely move up to a S-II 500mm or 600mm to gain the faster AF, 2-stop better IS and lighter weight.a At that point I'll buy the S-III 1.4x TC.

Dave
good to know, thanks for the updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #5810
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

fun with photography. Sister and her son.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #5811
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

and here's my niece.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #5812
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
True they do not want to show their hole card at all, but unless they have somthing really good in the works for the 5D or the 7D for improvements they are going to be left in the dust for their prosumer line. The D700 is an amazing camera, much better than the 5D in ISO and AF areas. the D800 is going to be a mini D3x, and Nikon is expected to be improving on the underlying models. My new friend at Samy's Camera who has been shooting Nikon for over 30 years said it tends to rade off like this. Nikon will be the top dog for a few years then canon because of their developement cycles. the 1Dx will be amazing, but nikon is saying some things about the D4 and is expected to show it in Sept just a few months after teh 1Dx launches in march or april. Those date from what I have read are not 100% set in stone. With all the issues in Japan they can get pushed back again. I hope Canon really steps up the 5D. It is a great camera but it is in need of some TLC.
I suspect that the 5D MkIII will become Canon's top studio camera by virtue of greater detail gained with smaller pixel-pitch and improved noise performance (already stellar) due to improved pixel design and processor. Canon will also make major move to secure the 5D2's place as the go-to video camera, with more speed options, AF in video mode and the same improve IQ that the still photographers will want.

The 1Dx is more of a sport, photojournalist tool, which will put low light, high speed performance into another, higher orbit. This, along with their super-tele lenses, will further solidify their lead in sports photography. For nature photography, the 1Dx will demand investment in longer glass, at much higher prices than historical for Canon. That would erode some of their lead, except that Canon seems to produce a much higher volume of super-teles that are readily available, while Nikon makes theirs out of unobtanium, so that even the most dedicated Nikon fan has trouble finding one to buy.

Any price advantage Canon had in its prosumer and pro lines vs. Nikon seems to be disappearing.

Dave
      01-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #5813
Cleanest135i
Private
Rep

Drives: 135i

Shot this on Christmas:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #5814
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: C6 ZO6

Yes the los of the 1.3 crop on the 1Dx is going to hurt it a bit, but the low light perf is going to be so good I hear that it will be able to even sense intelligence in Obamas brain. Now that is seeing in the Dark!

It would be interesting if they decided to put an improved 1.3 crop sensor in the 5DIII for some extra reach but still have an improved ISO perf. that would make it a fantastic all around body along with an improved AF. I doubt they will do that though since like you say it is a good landscape and interior body for the ultra wide angle the full frame gives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I suspect that the 5D MkIII will become Canon's top studio camera by virtue of greater detail gained with smaller pixel-pitch and improved noise performance (already stellar) due to improved pixel design and processor. Canon will also make major move to secure the 5D2's place as the go-to video camera, with more speed options, AF in video mode and the same improve IQ that the still photographers will want.

The 1Dx is more of a sport, photojournalist tool, which will put low light, high speed performance into another, higher orbit. This, along with their super-tele lenses, will further solidify their lead in sports photography. For nature photography, the 1Dx will demand investment in longer glass, at much higher prices than historical for Canon. That would erode some of their lead, except that Canon seems to produce a much higher volume of super-teles that are readily available, while Nikon makes theirs out of unobtanium, so that even the most dedicated Nikon fan has trouble finding one to buy.

Any price advantage Canon had in its prosumer and pro lines vs. Nikon seems to be disappearing.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #5815
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
Yes the los of the 1.3 crop on the 1Dx is going to hurt it a bit, but the low light perf is going to be so good I hear that it will be able to even sense intelligence in Obamas brain. Now that is seeing in the Dark!

It would be interesting if they decided to put an improved 1.3 crop sensor in the 5DIII for some extra reach but still have an improved ISO perf. that would make it a fantastic all around body along with an improved AF. I doubt they will do that though since like you say it is a good landscape and interior body for the ultra wide angle the full frame gives.
Only wildlife photographers want a 1.3 crop, I think. Sports photographers generally have the focal length to minimize cropping and they'll be overjoyed with the 1Dx. Studio shooters don't want a crop sensor and neither do portrait, archetectural and scenic shooters.

Even wildlife photographers know that a crop sensor doesn't really add focal length. The sensor only uses part of the image circle that the lens can produce. It's like putting an L-series on a 1.6 crop sensor, the sensor only uses part of the image circle and reduces the angle of view, but the subjects viewed on the crop sensor are exactly the same size as they are on the full frame sensor. This is why pixel-density matters and why I'm worried about the reduced pixel-density of the 1Dx. If the 5D3 goes the opposite direction and increases pixel-density and also fixes its fps and AF issues, then it may become the wildlife body of choice for Canon shooters.

Since it seems like there'll be two FF sensors in the Canon lineup, one for the 1Dx and one for the 5D2/3, then I wonder if there'll be a 1Dxs, that gives up some high ISO performance, but gives greater pixel density and more detail. Just a thought. The 5D body is too small to stuff all the needed processors into it, to get speed, detail and low noise. Still, with AF improvements and a bit faster fps, I'd start considering a 5D as my bird/wildlife body.

Dave
      01-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #5816
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

If they are able to get 10-12fps on the 1Dx and have it as full frame, at some point, wouldn't it be in Canon's interest to streamline their entire production (over a long period obviously) to just full frame sensors and save money on developing any other crops?

since a crop in essence kills some of the DOF by narrowing the view angle, and people love OOF backgrounds, it almost seems pointless to continue to produce crops, unless they start to put them into things like higher end point and shoots or the no lens reflex cameras.

I'm just babbling now. I realize if they got rid of those, they wouldn't have a competitive piece to put against the Nikon's and other such cameras.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #5817
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

not to mention the fact they would have to get rid of their EF-S line of lenses too.
      01-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #5818
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

good point on that one, but i'm sure they could find a way around that, just look at Nikon, they've been mounting their lenses for eons on the same setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #5819
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

why would anyone want to put a gold-lined lens on a canon camera body?
      01-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #5820
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
why would anyone want to put a gold-lined lens on a canon camera body?
haha, not exactly what i meant.... But you'd have to ask Rodi that one
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #5821
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
If they are able to get 10-12fps on the 1Dx and have it as full frame, at some point, wouldn't it be in Canon's interest to streamline their entire production (over a long period obviously) to just full frame sensors and save money on developing any other crops?

since a crop in essence kills some of the DOF by narrowing the view angle, and people love OOF backgrounds, it almost seems pointless to continue to produce crops, unless they start to put them into things like higher end point and shoots or the no lens reflex cameras.

I'm just babbling now. I realize if they got rid of those, they wouldn't have a competitive piece to put against the Nikon's and other such cameras.
The 1Dx has three or four processors and two CF flash cards and who knows how big a buffer. There's not enough room in the 7D or or 5D bodies for all the processing power needed to produce 20 to 30MB files at 12-per second.

The real issue, now that Canon has a lot of FF manufacturing experience and has developed more efficient ways to build sensors, is the old trade off between noise and detail. To reduce noise you use larger pixels and sacrifice detail. To produce the highest detail possible, you lower pixel-pitch, but sacrifice high ISO performance. I think they're a generation or two away from making both parameters so good with the same sensor that we won't care.

For now, we'll have to make do with the 1Dx and it's large, incredibly sensitive pixels and 5D2/3 and 7D with small, but noisier pixels and incredible detail. I think they'll continue to give us that choice for a least a couple of more generations.

With the move toward EVIL cameras and 3/4 formats, I think that the crop sensor will stay around to allow for smaller bodies that consumers seem to prefer. However, maybe one day, the sensor material for all size sensors will be the same, with incredibly small and sensitive pixels and they'll just chop off some to make a crop-sensor.

Dave
      01-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #5822
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Portal
      01-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #5823
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

nice one Paul! I like the title... reminds me of the TV show Fringe.
      01-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #5824
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Cool. Very reflective and translucent and transparent. We should have a contest with those features.

Oh, wait....

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #5825
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Cool. Very reflective and translucent and transparent. We should have a contest with those features.

Oh, wait....
      01-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #5826
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

01-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #5827
cudabnu
Loose nut behind the wheel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 328I E91

I sell VW resto parts for a living, here's a shot I took a few years back at Irwindale speedway, notice the look of the wife holding the baby now that the husband is "using" the stroller! Check out the rear wheel camber..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #5828
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Cool B&W image, Jeff. Where is that?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #5829
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Sunsets wait for no one. Earlier tonight the sunset was stunning. We had a low cloud cover except at the horizon and the whole sky was brilliant orange. Unfortunately I was in the middle of town and had no decent shot. By the time I got to some open area, the orange was gone. Still, it was pretty spectacular. The wind was strong enough to prevent a really long exposure, though. I also need to upgrade my tripod to something with quick release leg locks. These twist clamps are a pain.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #5830
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]