New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
We also have an e60. When I hit auto in that car, the fan goes to auto. However, your point about intensity level on the e60 is noted, as I have to adjust that sometimes as well, but at least it defaults to the most recent setting. Same with my e9x's though they require fewer changes. My beef with the g30 is that it always defaults to intensity #2 no matter what. Probably user error.
Don't follow why that is happening, should hold your last setting. Is your key not saving last settings?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #46
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Don't follow why that is happening, should hold your last setting. Is your key not saving last settings?
Are you sure that you didn't use your second key by mistake? That happened to a friend of mine until we figured out why it was happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

- Unpopular opinion but any AUTO climate control thingy, i just absolutely cannot stand any of them. You want coolish air on a spring day but instead get boiling hot or frozen air, now i need to open a window and get hammered by the buffeting. What the flying fuck was ever wrong with a knob that went from cold to hot?

- More specifically, front doors on my 9-3 won't stay open, they relentlessly swing closed

- HVAC YET AGAIN, wife's Stelvio, reverts to blowing absolutely BAKING HOT air as soon as you set it to the windshield setting to clear condensation. So say it's 10 degrees celcius, your screen is fogging up a bit, it reverts to full blown 1000 degree heat, you are fucking boiling like a god damn lobster in a pot and there's no way around this. This was corrected for 2021 MY but the second I raised it with the dealer they acknowledged basically every owner screaming about it. Dead set dangerous.

- Unpopular opinion but the flashing brake lights as turn signals in north america. Nowhere else is this allowed, because it's mind bogglingly stupid.

- The constant, persistent and absolutely relentless beeping modern cars do before you even have a chance to put on a seat belt or when backing up or really doing anything. BEEP FUCKING BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. Shut up.
Appreciate 7
cmyx6go15579.50
chris7197273.00
paquet629.50
ShocknAwe3201.50
      07-07-2022, 04:20 AM   #48
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
So far on all my BMWs.

The stupid ways they have set the water drainage canals on their modern cars, Jesus just let them all pour out under the car not on the side of the cars.

The stupid amount of water that accumulates inside the side-door mirrors just put a freaking hole in there so it drains out properly.

And on most of the BMW so far the dead steering feel of modern cars.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 04:33 PM   #49
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 530e

Without doubt it has to be the Pontiac Aztek. Without that, we would probably still see Pontiacs being made. Aside from the Aztek, Ponitacs were great cars back in the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 10:21 PM   #50
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
We also have an e60. When I hit auto in that car, the fan goes to auto. However, your point about intensity level on the e60 is noted, as I have to adjust that sometimes as well, but at least it defaults to the most recent setting. Same with my e9x's though they require fewer changes. My beef with the g30 is that it always defaults to intensity #2 no matter what. Probably user error.

Right now when I get into the g30, I start the car then hit auto on the HVAC and bump the fan from 2 to 3 or 4, hold the driver aid button on the dash for three seconds to shut that crap off, set the driver program to sport individual to disable the auto start-stop, tell my phone to ignore CarPlay, then I can finally shove off. I know, third-world problems. I hope to see a little improvement when I sync the My BMW app to the car this weekend. And when Carly comes out with an update for the g30, I hope I can permanently code some of these other settings.
Carly unnecessary. Use Menu AC button. Change your driver preferences. Then go to car settings & change assistance settings. Stop start is probably the only preset change iDrive won't let you make. Communication menu. Repair your phone as a mobile device that will connect using iDrive instead of Carplay.

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 07-09-2022 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 12:28 AM   #51
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
Im new to BMW so you may all love this but...

indicators. You go to press them gently and they click on and then return to center. so you go to turn them off and end up putting them on in the other direction. Maddening.
E9X turn signals drove me nuts - first 10 years.

I realized that you must use it differently - and it is very, very nice.

Lane Change: do not push it through the click - just hold it lightly with your left little finger. Let your finger go when you done changing lanes. It takes 2-3 times to get use to it. No more 1,3 blinks, wrong side when you try to switch off - just as many as you need it.

Turn: push it until it clicks and let it auto switch when wheel returns to center position (just like you use to)

Door and trunk unlock buttons are in most idiotic place.
Coding key eject helps with doors, but there is no solution for trunk.

Heated seats should of been next to shifter area
      07-10-2022, 08:47 AM   #52
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
E9X turn signals drove me nuts - first 10 years.

I realized that you must use it differently - and it is very, very nice.

Lane Change: do not push it through the click - just hold it lightly with your left little finger. Let your finger go when you done changing lanes. It takes 2-3 times to get use to it. No more 1,3 blinks, wrong side when you try to switch off - just as many as you need it.

Turn: push it until it clicks and let it auto switch when wheel returns to center position (just like you use to)

Door and trunk unlock buttons are in most idiotic place.
Coding key eject helps with doors, but there is no solution for trunk.

Heated seats should of been next to shifter area
The key to the indicators is that you can push the same way to cancel - then it doesn't matter if you get it wrong really.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #53
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Carly unnecessary. Use Menu AC button. Change your driver preferences. Then go to car settings & change assistance settings. Stop start is probably the only preset change iDrive won't let you make. Communication menu. Repair your phone as a mobile device that will connect using iDrive instead of Carplay.
Thank you for the note. Update is this -- the system is preventing me from setting up driver profiles. It is saying the "connected drive" system is unavailable, even though My BMW app appears to be set up. I cannot configure using the QR code or by manually logging in to the car with my account credentials. So, my changes are not getting saved.

Dropping the car off Friday for the service department to diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 10:03 AM   #54
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Just found out today that our automatic (which I drive purely in manual-mode) 2020 Mazda Miata can't do kickdown with traction control off.

Huh? Kickdown only with TC on? Why?
      07-11-2022, 10:12 AM   #55
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
Just found out today that our automatic (which I drive purely in manual-mode) 2020 Mazda Miata can't do kickdown with traction control off.

Huh? Kickdown only with TC on? Why?
Saves the driver from making a fool of him/her self.

BMW puts my model (and many other models) back in Comfort mode, if DSC is completely switched off. BMW argue it is most appropriate.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 06:43 PM   #56
RedCard
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 BMW M8 Comp Convertible

Driver's Assistance. I'm the driver. I don't need your fucking assistance.
ppointer732.50
      07-14-2022, 03:36 PM   #57
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
On our new G30, there is no automatic fan setting for the HVAC. The owner's manual says to set the "intensity" manually. Just wow. Or perhaps I don't understand how to automate it. Every other car we own will automatically vary the fan speed, except for the Z.
I don't think there's anything special about the G30 vs any of the other G generation. In my G82 and G05, when the HVAC is set to auto, the fan speed set is used as a "basic suggestion", and the delta between the set temperature and actual temperature is used to determine how much faster over your 'base suggestion' the fan should run.

So in a way both you and the computer have control over the fan at the same time. You can confirm this by reducing the temperature desired in increments while in auto, and seeing how the fan speed increases. And the fan speed setting in the display will remain constant while the actual speed increases. You can then increase the speed even further if you wanted.