New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #133
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Completely agree. Ramp up then we can keep most everything open. But if we keep open without health care ramp up, we head towards a disaster. We either need vaccine, or capacity of the system to handle the influx of patients.
I just spent 3 days in a hospital following the birth of my twins. Granted this is one hospital in a rural area but I asked a lot of the nurses and doctors I interacted with while I was there about Covid. The general consensus was there was a crowding issue when it first hit but most of the people there had one symptom and were scared because the news told them they were going to die. People would come to the emergency room in a panic because of a runny nose or slight cough and it tied up resources. Everyone I spoke with wished the news didnt sensationalize it.

Another thing they brought up was that they have made advancements in therapeutics and they now know how to get someone treated and sent home. Unless someone is already sick or high risk they aren't tying up rooms. If people are younger and have an underlying condition, its not hitting them as hard and they are going home after short stays.

One doctor I spoke to while waiting in the cafeteria said he was treating Covid symptoms back in Oct and Nov of 2019 and thinks a lot of the people in my area already had it. We had a flight school in our town that was contracted by the Chinese government and he had several hundred Chinese students come over around this time. They have since gone out of business but I work in the industry and often interacted with the students, I also had Covid symptoms in Dec of 2019, but I obviously didn't know what Covid was.

Now this is one smallish town and second hand information but I think most hospitals have these plans in place and over crowding may not be an issue anymore.

Last edited by MPOWER5266; 10-29-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
sirdaft12193.50
jesm203.00
      10-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #134
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
One doctor I spoke to while waiting in the cafeteria said he was treating Covid symptoms back in Oct and Nov of 2019 and thinks a lot of the people in my area already had it. We had a flight school in our town that was contracted by the Chinese government and he had several hundred Chinese students come over around this time. They have since gone out of business but I work in the industry and often interacted with the students, I also had Covid symptoms in Dec of 2019, but I obviously didn't know what Covid was.
I don't know but mid December I got sicker than I have probably ever been in my life. I was in bed with a fever for like a full 7 days. Then for the next 7 I was just messed up. Then for a while after that my head was just a foggy mess. I figured when it started it was just a cold. Went to one of those walk in MDNow places maybe like on day 6.

They did a flu test, but honestly, every time I've been there it's been a joke. They left me in the room with the test for what seemed like forever. So I went and looked at the test and based on what I could find online about how to read the test it said it was negative. Regardless when they came back they said I had the flu and gave me some shit that you're suppose to take at the onset... 6 days in I figured it was a waste so I didn't take it and lost the fever the next day anyways.

I don't get sick very often and when I do it's usually a day or two. Never in recent memory have I been sick enough to actually go to a doctor so I still wonder if maybe it was covid. Never had any breathing issues that I can recall though. Mostly just fever, body aches etc.
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      10-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #135
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't know but mid December I got sicker than I have probably ever been in my life. I was in bed with a fever for like a full 7 days. Then for the next 7 I was just messed up. Then for a while after that my head was just a foggy mess. I figured when it started it was just a cold. Went to one of those walk in MDNow places maybe like on day 6.

They did a flu test, but honestly, every time I've been there it's been a joke. They left me in the room with the test for what seemed like forever. So I went and looked at the test and based on what I could find online about how to read the test it said it was negative. Regardless when they came back they said I had the flu and gave me some shit that you're suppose to take at the onset... 6 days in I figured it was a waste so I didn't take it and lost the fever the next day anyways.

I don't get sick very often and when I do it's usually a day or two. Never in recent memory have I been sick enough to actually go to a doctor so I still wonder if maybe it was covid. Never had any breathing issues that I can recall though. Mostly just fever, body aches etc.
I had a fever, cold sweats, dry cough, etc etc. I actually pulled a muscle in my back from coughing. I had negative flu test and the doctor said, "something's going around" and told me to take over the counter crap. I work in aviation so I am around commercial/cargo pilots that fly internationally several times a week and those Chinese students.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #136
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Just talked to an RT at UCLA; they haven't had a case in weeks.
      10-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #137
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Serious question. Why such a focus on a vaccine even though we have a flu vaccine but we still get it every year? Why isn't there more focus on easy, cheap, at home testing? I don't know, but I would imagine if you could buy a pack of 30 "test strips" on Amazon for $19.99 or something and just check it at home like a blood sugar test or something it would help a lot since to me it seems a big problem with this specific virus is the a symptomatic spreading.
Com'on man, vaccines are too good of a business to pass on, as Warren Buffet tells us.

Convince people they're not healthy without your product, profit.
      10-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #138
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
Com'on man, vaccines are too good of a business to pass on, as Warren Buffet tells us.

Convince people they're not healthy without your product, profit.
And Billionaire Gates
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #139
smyles
Major
Rep

Drives: '21 X5

Even more, imagine vaccinations become a condition for employment, education... oh, wait, we sort of have it already.
Appreciate 2
TboneS54989.50
      10-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #140
_X
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: Silverstone Red Int. M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
I just spent 3 days in a hospital following the birth of my twins. Granted this is one hospital in a rural area but I asked a lot of the nurses and doctors I interacted with while I was there about Covid. The general consensus was there was a crowding issue when it first hit
A friend who is a doctor told me the same thing. He cited that we build the infrastructure based off of census data and when folks who don’t fill out census data come in it greatly impacts the number of available beds and how they are able to treat patients.

I am very curious if these transplants from Cali and NY recognize what they’ve done or enabled in these states that had caused them to want to move, or if it will make the same decisions.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #141
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X View Post
A friend who is a doctor told me the same thing. He cited that we build the infrastructure based off of census data and when folks who don’t fill out census data come in it greatly impacts the number of available beds and how they are able to treat patients.

I am very curious if these transplants from Cali and NY recognize what they’ve done or enabled in these states that had caused them to want to move, or if it will make the same decisions.
I said consensus, a consensus is general agreement among a group of people. Any crowding issues in my local hospital were due to panic not lack of infrastructure due to census data. But yea that could be a factor as well. We have had a lot of growth in our county lately.

Last edited by MPOWER5266; 10-29-2020 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #142
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2006 S2000

So we got new restaurant rules. All to close at 9:30pm, including liquor stores

Can someone explain how this can help limit the spread? I mean I usually go to bars and stores after 9pm because I have no time during the day, and they are all empty. Seems like the safest time to go if you want to avoid catching the virus
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      11-02-2020, 04:29 PM   #143
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

It's to keep you confused and scared. People LOVE a tragedy/chaos. It's exciting; keep it going.
jesm203.00
      11-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #144
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

These places must close before 9:30pm as well. Its amazing that we have such a fuckface for a governor. *hint.. none of them are open that late anyway, its just a fucking shit show

Youth and adult amateur sports activities
Golf facilities
Recreational boating and boating businesses
Outdoor recreational experiences
Driving and flight schools
Zoos, botanical gardens, wildlife reserves, nature centers
Close contact personal services (such as hair and nail salons)
Gyms, Fitness Centers and Health Clubs
Indoor and outdoor pools
Museums/cultural & historical facilities/guided tours
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #145
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
These places must close before 9:30pm as well. Its amazing that we have such a fuckface for a governor. *hint.. none of them are open that late anyway, its just a fucking shit show

Youth and adult amateur sports activities
Golf facilities
Recreational boating and boating businesses
Outdoor recreational experiences
Driving and flight schools
Zoos, botanical gardens, wildlife reserves, nature centers
Close contact personal services (such as hair and nail salons)
Gyms, Fitness Centers and Health Clubs
Indoor and outdoor pools
Museums/cultural & historical facilities/guided tours
Damn... i was going to hit the botanical gardens right before flight school at 11 PM.
Appreciate 1
smyles1013.50
      11-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #146
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
So we got new restaurant rules. All to close at 9:30pm, including liquor stores

Can someone explain how this can help limit the spread? I mean I usually go to bars and stores after 9pm because I have no time during the day, and they are all empty. Seems like the safest time to go if you want to avoid catching the virus
The freaks come out at night...the freaks come out at niiiiiiight...
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17874.00
      11-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #147
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Here in wonderful IL, our adored governor pushed us back into phase 4 a week ago; requiring restaurants to close to dine-in business and only allowing carryout OR outdoor dining (it's 30* outside right now - absolutely genius). Certainly couldn't think of a better way to support those small businesses that have already given everything they had to stay afloat!

The thing that gives me and others hope in humanity is that nearly every single restaurant has said f*** it, and has kept their indoor dining open. Not only that, but this is the busiest I've seen these restaurants since lockdown. PTL. And it's not that surprising of an outcome when individuals are given the data and are able to determine for themselves their risk comfort level. And we're not talking about the media's one-sided fear mongering narrative of the data (CNN's rising cases = DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) - but actual data and trends from the CDC website.

For those curious, here's one resource that aggregates the data weekly directly from the CDC/National Center for Health Statistics/etc websites:

Week of Oct 28th
https://www.ftportfolios.com/Common/...5-724838378d80

Week of Oct 22nd
https://www.ftportfolios.com/Common/...1-f39cb20bae2b
Appreciate 3
BayMoWe3351172.50
jmack548.50
      11-02-2020, 11:03 PM   #148
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Here in wonderful IL, our adored governor pushed us back into phase 4 a week ago; requiring restaurants to close to dine-in business and only allowing carryout OR outdoor dining (it's 30* outside right now - absolutely genius). Certainly couldn't think of a better way to support those small businesses that have already given everything they had to stay afloat!

The thing that gives me and others hope in humanity is that nearly every single restaurant has said f*** it, and has kept their indoor dining open. Not only that, but this is the busiest I've seen these restaurants since lockdown. PTL. And it's not that surprising of an outcome when individuals are given the data and are able to determine for themselves their risk comfort level. And we're not talking about the media's one-sided fear mongering narrative of the data (CNN's rising cases = DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) - but actual data and trends from the CDC website.

For those curious, here's one resource that aggregates the data weekly directly from the CDC/National Center for Health Statistics/etc websites:

Week of Oct 28th

Week of Oct 22nd
It’s times like this I ask, what would Jeremy do?
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      11-03-2020, 12:23 AM   #149
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Some executive orders have been injucted (I might have made that word up) and the injunction become permanent in 10 days. Seems the Emergency declaration doesn't grant that much power

Mods, no political statement made, just reporting the courts decision
TboneS54989.50
      11-03-2020, 04:20 AM   #150
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post

Week of Oct 28th

Week of Oct 22nd
I am in MA, if you disobey the orders, they will hang you. We have/had 1 guy who kept his gym open, not sure what happened. Obviously got ton of fines, was in top stores in all media, and last I heard they wanted to cut his electricity and water
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:59 AM   #151
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

We will happily stay in the People's Republic of Brooklyn.
A once-in-a-century pandemic comes around, which is now hitting rural areas as hard as it hit us or harder.
A little secret: we still have a wide range of restaurant food ready for take-out, we have various music performances, we have a great dog park, we have intellectual nabes who don't panic!
The cities are fine, will be fine. Many people want, and need, to make money. Cities are the hubs for this.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #152
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I don't understand why people and the media are shocked by the "surge" in recent cases. Everything is playing out just as the experts warned us back in the spring.

- The initial surge was centered in major US cities. Then it would go into mid-major cities and then finally small cities/towns and rural areas. Older populations would be affected first and then surge across younger populations. This is exactly what's happened.

- As colder weather sets in, cases were expected to surge dramatically. This isn't news.

- The current surge is largely the result of COVID finally reaching the expansiveness of our numerous small cities/towns and rural areas plus the steady on-going cases in more populated areas and increased cases among the sub 50 y/o crowd. This was expected.

- Cases have been going up steadily for weeks and weeks yet deaths are not really increasing and in many areas, they're going down. Medical staff are far better at managing the symptoms now and you're likelihood of dying from COVID has been cut nearly in half now. That is a fact.

- In my county of over 630,000, we have 10 COVID patients in the hospital. Since the start of this thing, we've had a total of 611 COVID hospitalizations. The hospitalization rate has not varied much as all for the past 5 months.

- Kids have been back in the public schools (7th thru 12th = hybrid, K through 6th full-time) since early October and cases haven't exploded or have there been outbreaks in the schools.

- Our county has been under a mask mandate since late June. Everyone wears masks inside all public spaces. I'm even required to wear a mask outside when watching my daughter play soccer. Mask usage and the mandates have not improved case or death wise in the county. Cases have been increasing for months. Color me not surprised.

- Europe's recent restrictions and lock-downs aren't going to help them in the long run other than wreck their economy and cause more grief, frustration, and depression. Restrict and lock-down and cases will go down, open back up and it all goes back up. They can point fingers and laugh at the US, but they are right where we are with surging cases amongst the sub 50 y/o crowd and introduction of COVID into rural areas and little in terms of increased death.

- Why no more talk of Sweden? Their cases have been going up and up since mid-September yet daily deaths have been hovering in the 2 to 4 range since early August.
BayMoWe3351172.50
      11-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #153
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

There's no surge. There's an increase in reported CASES.

Of course there are, because
-people have weakened their immune systems by cowering indoors and covering their faces
-flu/cold no longer exists, all being counted as covid
-pcr test is a joke
-weather change/flu season anyway

AGAIN, for those in the back, only .0001 of the u.s. population have died from complications from covid.

There is no pandemic. Never was.

There is, however, a diabetes epidemic, and an auto-immune epidemic, an obesity epidemic, & a pollution epidemic if you'd like to discuss those...
sirdaft12193.50
BayMoWe3351172.50
      11-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #154
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
It’s times like this I ask, what would Jeremy do?
Precisely.
Appreciate 0