New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #23
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90coast View Post
My specialty is medical equipments used for bioengineering, I have been applying but since the recent covid, their interview process is super lagging. All the opportunities I have received have fell through due to unknown reasons.

I have applied to over 500 jobs and emailed plenty of HR departments regarding my applications but it's just a hassle at the moment. They give half responses and don't really care for anything I say.

I have broadened my search for defense, Northrop, Raytheon, Lockheed; but they are difficult to get in contact with as well since they have no proper HR email where they respond effectively regarding to all the positions I am "under consideration" for.
Dont forget General Dynamics(NASSCO), BAE Systems, SWRMC (Southwest Regional Maintenance Center - Navy). Plenty of jobs in the shipyard.
I will search them up tonight and apply to all of them. Thanks you!!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #24
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Applied to 500 jobs? Wow. That's a lot. My spidey sense is tingling.
Its more around 400~ , It's not enough in this economy.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #25
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
We hire mechanical engineers left and right...many out of school. Some get into project engineering, some start as sales engineers. Unfortunately though, we're on the other side of the US (Pittsburgh). But have many jobs going on in SoCal.

Willing to move to a nicer area ()...feel free to check us out.

Mitsubishi Electric
meppi.com - click on careers for what's open

Best of luck in your search, I know it's hard starting out...both my kids are going through the same thing right now.
Will look into it ASAP!!! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #26
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Are you using the same resume and/or cover letter for every job?

You need to tailor them, and yes it's a huge PITA. Basically all large companies now use software screeners on resumes that have been submitted. If they don't find X number of keywords they are looking for, a real person will never even see it.

Do you have references/endorsements on your LinkedIn? My current gig started with that. Our now retired boss, found that one of my buddies that works where I do now, had given me a nice endorsement as my mentor.

They reached out to me, 4 interviews later and I moved 110 miles, a 5 figure pay raise, sign on bonus, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #27
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Are you using the same resume and/or cover letter for every job?

You need to tailor them, and yes it's a huge PITA. Basically all large companies now use software screeners on resumes that have been submitted. If they don't find X number of keywords they are looking for, a real person will never even see it.

Do you have references/endorsements on your LinkedIn? My current gig started with that. Our now retired boss, found that one of my buddies that works where I do now, had given me a nice endorsement as my mentor.

They reached out to me, 4 interviews later and I moved 110 miles, a 5 figure pay raise, sign on bonus, etc.
I do not have any endorsements or such, I don't know what you mean in that. Like my linked in is very bare bc I have no job experience.

I started to Taylor my resume to different job applications but still no response, it's getting kind of annoying. I want to blame covid but I still don't understand why it's this hard. I graduated in may.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #28
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
I do not have any enforcements or such, I don't know what you mean in that. Like my linked in is very bare bc I have no job experience.

I started to Taylor my resume to different job applications but still no response, it's getting kind of annoying. I want to blame covid but I still don't understand why it's this hard. I graduated in may.
He had mentioned endorsements, meaning someone vouches for your workmanship. Did you not do any internships through college? If not you basically shot yourself in the foot. Hind sight is 20/20, but without any job or internship experience nor endorsements the road becomes more difficult to travel. Don't mean to sound harsh either. What does your resume/cover letter look like? Have you had anyone proof it or did you just wing it?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #29
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Hind sight is 20/20
lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #30
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I do not have any enforcements or such, I don't know what you mean in that. Like my linked in is very bare bc I have no job experience.

He had mentioned endorsements, meaning someone vouches for your workmanship. Did you not do any internships through college? If not you basically shot yourself in the foot. Hind sight is 20/20, but without any job or internship experience nor endorsements the road becomes more difficult to travel. Don't mean to sound harsh either. What does your resume/cover letter look like? Have you had anyone proof it or did you just wing it?
Yea I have internships and a startup of an bioengineering lab. Had my resume looked over by many people working in multiple companies and have refined it the best I could. Used my school resources as well. Now I'm just looking for interviews, stuff ain't going to well there.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:35 PM   #31
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Have you had anyone proof it or did you just wing it?
What could possibly make you ask that question?

e90coast I'll probably sound like a dick, so I'm sorry, but if your resume, cover letter, and e-mail based communications with potential employers are filled with typos and grammar issues like your posts are, I'd throw your application in the trash bin in under 10 seconds.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 11:20 PM   #32
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Have you had anyone proof it or did you just wing it?
What could possibly make you ask that question?

e90coast I'll probably sound like a dick, so I'm sorry, but if your resume, cover letter, and e-mail based communications with potential employers are filled with typos and grammar issues like your posts are, I'd throw your application in the trash bin in under 10 seconds.
It's not LOL I'm just quick texting on my phone without proof reading. Don't worry LOLOLOLOL
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #33
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
It's not LOL I'm just quick texting on my phone without proof reading. Don't worry LOLOLOLOL
But you do realize you came into this forum to ask for help finding a job, right? There are a lot of folks on here that could help you get where you want to go but have been turned off by the presentation. You came to the interview chewing gum and wearing a T-shirt tuxedo.
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      10-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #34
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
But you do realize you came into this forum to ask for help finding a job, right? There are a lot of folks on here that could help you get where you want to go but have been turned off by the presentation. You came to the interview chewing gum and wearing a T-shirt tuxedo.
Exactly. I am an R&D hiring manager in SoCal. Medical device industry - your “specialty” (seems like a strong word for a new grad who didn’t major in BME). I nearly reached out to you to have a teleconference and at least give you advice, but it is really clear you don’t know how to present yourself. Here is my advice: every interaction is an opportunity. Treat them as such. You have nearly squandered this one - there are plenty of people in position to help you on this board, but you’re doing yourself a huge disservice.

Also, we’ve all been there. I know it’s tough. But being on the other side, I can tell you that if you actually have a shot for a job posting, you will be contacted!

Anyway, I’m a nice guy. PM me and we can connect and I’ll even review your resume. But to be clear, I have no openings for which you’re qualified at the moment.
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
Nachbar8023.00
      10-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #35
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Exactly. I am an R&D hiring manager in SoCal. Medical device industry - your “specialty” (seems like a strong word for a new grad who didn’t major in BME). I nearly reached out to you to have a teleconference and at least give you advice, but it is really clear you don’t know how to present yourself. Here is my advice: every interaction is an opportunity. Treat them as such. You have nearly squandered this one - there are plenty of people in position to help you on this board, but you’re doing yourself a huge disservice.

Also, we’ve all been there. I know it’s tough. But being on the other side, I can tell you that if you actually have a shot for a job posting, you will be contacted!

Anyway, I’m a nice guy. PM me and we can connect and I’ll even review your resume. But to be clear, I have no openings for which you’re qualified at the moment.
Bingo.

I'm the Sr. VP of Engineering for my company. I have teams of engineers in the UK, US, Philippines, and China. Point being, you never know who you are talking to on a public forum, so when you post about wanting help finding a job you need to bring your A-game.

Hiring managers want someone who cares about the details, both professionally and privately. You've already come across as someone who does not care to present themselves as a professional, outside of work. Now you have to work extra hard to convince anyone who has read your posts that you are much more than you've come across. When I picture you as an employee of mine I see problems already. You cant be bothered to present yourself as a smart, detail obsessed, capable, recruit. I'll give you a bit of a pass if English is not your native language, but God help you if it is. If you're my employee, how am I going to impress upon you the importance of doc control, revision control, GD&T, and every other little detail that makes or breaks a part when you wont take the time to read over a single sentence that you've posted here and correct the typos?

Sorry for being harsh but you came here for help and not babying you is the best way I know to help you. It's brutal out there. I get 100+ resumes for every job I post. You have to fight for it and you have to prove you're worth an interview.

I don't want to turn this into a generational thing but I have seen a tangible shift in recruits over the past 10 years. People fire off generic resumes to job boards and then complain about applying for 100 jobs and never getting a response. My top tips for you to set you apart from other young job seekers who don't sweat the details:

1) Know the company you are applying to. Applying to Boeing, Ford, or Microsoft takes a different kind of application. In the mega-corporations, a computer is often the first thing that looks at your resume and scans it for key words the hiring manager has identified as critical to the job. For a small company with a few hundred people, HR will be the first stop for your resume. Apply to a 10 person start-up and it's likely going to be the actual hiring manager that first gets your resume. Know your audience. Are you drafting your resume for a computer, an HR person who knows people and personalities but not technical details, or your possible next boss?

2) Customized cover letter with every application. I know it takes time. But instead of blindly applying to 100 jobs, focus HARD on applying to 20. Quality over quantity. When I get a cover letter that clearly shows me the applicant has read and understands the posting, has gone to our website to research us, and has taken the time to figure out who I am on LinkedIn and has directed the letter specifically to me, I take notice.

3) After an interview, any interview, even if it's just a phone screen with HR, follow up with a personalized "thank you" e-mail. it literally takes 5 minutes and I'd say 90% of people dont do this anymore. You'll immediately set yourself apart from the pack.

4) ALWAYS be ready with questions of your own during the interview. I take the last 15 minutes of every interview and turn the tables to allow the interviewee to ask me questions. if they sit there with a blank stare, ask about compensation, or vacation days, work from home policy, they are cooked. Be ready with smart, engaging, questions that show you have been paying attention and are passionate about making sure their company is the right fit for you.

5) I was not put on this Earth to help a candidate fulfill their dreams through my job posting. The industry I'm in is a popular one; people love our product. 1/2 the applicants I get lead with "it's always been my life dream to work in this industry, blah, blah, blah." I dont care. This is not about how I can help a young engineer fulfill their dreams. This is about how are you as a young engineer going to fill a need I have on one of my teams? Dont get that mixed up. A shocking number of recruits dont seem to get that.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 10-24-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 4
Reborn_292.00
jmack548.50
      10-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #36
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

@DETroadster

I'm so sorry for my lack of attention to my post, this forum has actually helped me beyond my expectations and actually gave me amazing pointers to improve my skills. I read every word you have told me and I get it, 1-5 VERY valuable and indeed something I will implement further with my job searching.

I appreciate the time you have given to give me real life experience on how people view resumes. Instead of going out and bombarding my resumes to companies. Imma focus on a few and make sure the quality of my resume and cover letter is completely made for the job listing.

Thank you sir!
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      10-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #37
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I understand that I came to the forum, what I didn't understand that I would get such useful responses so fast. I'm taking it more serious now. I'm still a little surprised on what is going on.
Appreciate 0