New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #177
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92V8 View Post
Why do you doubt? I've no reason to make that up!

My 330d made 303 bhp on the same dyno.
I'm sure you have no reason to make up what you think your car's BHP is. I'm also sure you didn not remove the engine from your Porsche (and BMW) in order to dyno it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #178
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I'm sure you have no reason to make up what you think your car's BHP is. I'm also sure you didn not remove the engine from your Porsche (and BMW) in order to dyno it.
Of course I didn't. I'm not disputing the validity of dyno measurements.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #179
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92V8 View Post
Of course I didn't. I'm not disputing the validity of dyno measurements.
Ah ok. So you think the dyno you had your car on was able to tell you how much BHP your engine made?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #180
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
There is a 600-700lbs difference between these two cars. The Mustang may be thrilling (heck my M3 is thrilling on track), but still heavy for a track special. The experiences will be very different I should think. And if I could chose I'd go with the Cayman no doubt.
Extra pounds dont stop modern cars desighned for the track to go very fast. For me personally, faster car on a road course means a lot more than anything else. From the info we have so far, the mustang GT350 R is about 8 seconds faster than Cayman GT4 on the ring. The fact that GT350 R will be a lot cheaper is a bonus.
And if had to pay, i would go with the Mustang no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #181
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Ah ok. So you think the dyno you had your car on was able to tell you how much BHP your engine made?
No, but it gave me a good indication when comparing it to measurements of other cars with similar claimed power that were dyno'd on the same day. My 105% point was from Porsches claim that their engines won't leave the factory with less than 100% of the claimed power. The same is true if it makes more the 105%.

The fact my figure was close to 105% is purely incidental. The whole point is Porsche are making the point that this car is underrated. In the same way the 996 gt3rs made 400+ bhp against a claimed 381.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #182
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
My choice would between the two would be GT4 since I could buy it new with full warranty, but I also have my eye on the Ford Mustang GT350R - with carbon fiber wheels & magnetic shocks on top of the flat plane V8 that could be an incredible, raw performer near that price range.
There is a 600-700lbs difference between these two cars. The Mustang may be thrilling (heck my M3 is thrilling on track), but still heavy for a track special. The experiences will be very different I should think. And if I could chose I'd go with the Cayman no doubt.
The GT350R did the 'ring at 7:32 whereas the Cayman GT4 did it at 7:40. Both times are rumored though.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #183
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i'm so sick of people comparing Mustangs and Corvettes to far superior cars.

NO Nurburgring lap times do NOT matter when you are out enjoying a drive on public roads....and i don't care if a car is 7 seconds faster on the Nurburgring......or whatever else. You're not going to convince me that some Mustang is a more desirable car than the Cayman GT4....no matter what silly magazine article quotes you mount against me.

it's about the way a car FEELS...not the lap times...not the magazine articles...none of that crap. What happened to 'petrolhead' culture? it feels like it has gone up the arse of a donkey these days...

i think it's because people judge cars WITHOUT driving them now......whereas they should be judged after driving them. No i haven't driven a Cayman GT4....but i have driven a Cayman, a Cayman S, and a Cayman GTS. I know how they feel....so i know the GT4 will be EVEN BETTER than those....and those in themselves are great cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #184
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Some of you guys sound like my wife. She buys cars based on how they look and how they feel. Ppl like me buy sports cars based on how they handle and how fast are they on a road course, not on a public roads where you cant even test these cars at 50% of their capabilites.
Cayman GT4 is a fantastic car, i have no doubt about it, but if i pay $120K for it and mustang that costs half the price overtakes me easily, than i will be really pissed.
I dont understand ppl who pay so much money for high performance cars and never take them to the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #185
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Some of you guys sound like my wife. She buys cars based on how they look and how they feel. Ppl like me buy sports cars based on how they handle and how fast are they on a road course, not on a public roads where you cant even test these cars at 50% of their capabilites.
Cayman GT4 is a fantastic car, i have no doubt about it, but if i pay $120K for it and mustang that costs half the price overtakes me easily, than i will be really pissed.
I dont understand ppl who pay so much money for high performance cars and never take them to the track.
the only people who drive a car based on "how fast they are on a road course" are race car drivers....for most of us, daily driving is a far bigger part of our lives than our 'imaginary' race car driver career. That's utter nonsense really.

You don't have to be a road course master to buy a performance car....there is no prerequisite, fortunately. There never has been. The real driver drives something good ALL the time....not just when they are on a track.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #186
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the only people who drive a car based on "how fast they are on a road course" are race car drivers....for most of us, daily driving is a far bigger part of our lives than our 'imaginary' race car driver career. That's utter nonsense really.

You don't have to be a road course master to buy a performance car....there is no prerequisite, fortunately. There never has been. The real driver drives something good ALL the time....not just when they are on a track.
You dont get it. The sad part for you is, you may never get it. This is based on how much nonsense comes out of your arse
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #187
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot
Quote:

You dont get it. The sad part for you is, you may never get it. This is based on how much nonsense comes out of your arse
LOL. can't deal with an opinion can you? Not surprising...that's generally an attribute of the perpetually insecure and inadequate.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #188
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Love those wheels. And the car
I've been a huge fan of the new Cayman and Boxster models; no longer the 'porsche that isn't a porsche'

Now, if only I could drive manual competently (I've done it once in a 1964 VW beetle with a broken speedometer and tachometer... quite an experience... and in Beverly Hills too )
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #189
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
i'm so sick of people comparing Mustangs and Corvettes to far superior cars.

NO Nurburgring lap times do NOT matter when you are out enjoying a drive on public roads....and i don't care if a car is 7 seconds faster on the Nurburgring......or whatever else. You're not going to convince me that some Mustang is a more desirable car than the Cayman GT4....no matter what silly magazine article quotes you mount against me.

it's about the way a car FEELS...not the lap times...not the magazine articles...none of that crap. What happened to 'petrolhead' culture? it feels like it has gone up the arse of a donkey these days...

i think it's because people judge cars WITHOUT driving them now......whereas they should be judged after driving them. No i haven't driven a Cayman GT4....but i have driven a Cayman, a Cayman S, and a Cayman GTS. I know how they feel....so i know the GT4 will be EVEN BETTER than those....and those in themselves are great cars.
So what if you drove a 350R or C7 Z06 and it felt better than the GT4?

I feel people are trying to find another straw to grab since "inferior" American cars are catching up and passing those more "refined" cars now. Like how a Boss 302 is faster around a track than a 1M but hey, at least you can DD the 1M with all those creature comforts huh? I could live without most of them except heated seats.....those are mandatory in WA!

This is a good looking car and it seems to perform very well. We all know the performance benchmark for years has been 'Ring times. But it seems that now that American cars are putting up a fight with cars that cost less and perform better there, some people are trying to go back to other things to make up for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #190
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
So what if you drove a 350R or C7 Z06 and it felt better than the GT4?

I feel people are trying to find another straw to grab since "inferior" American cars are catching up and passing those more "refined" cars now. Like how a Boss 302 is faster around a track than a 1M but hey, at least you can DD the 1M with all those creature comforts huh? I could live without most of them except heated seats.....those are mandatory in WA!
This.

People will resort to any excuse to justify how they feel, and frankly there's nothing wrong with that. American cars aren't refined, use the same interior plastics as a cheaper knockoff of a Fisher Price toy, and are built by unsophisticated, fat union laborers with one hand because their other hand is holding a beer. We get it. However, I find that most who are the type to scoff at non-European cars are really just the fake-it-till-you-make-it crowd. They're the ones driving a 3rd-owner, out-of-warranty M3 or 911 that they picked up at an auction for less than a new Honda Civic with a dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. Or, case and point, driving a tarted up model of an entry-level BMW which was brought to the US market to further undercut their long standing entry-level and bring a new type of buyer into the brand.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #191
trucheli
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 Porsche 911 GTS

I would sell my M4 in a heartbeat to jump onto a real driver's car like the GT4. With the increased horsepower and the GT3 platform now there is motivation. I have tested the Cayman S but I found it underpowered coming from driving M3s for the last six years. I said that my next car was going to be a 991 S. I have always preferred a mid engine car over the Carrera. The old Carreras drove like shit with the front end going all over the place when you get on the brakes hard. I haven't driven the 991 on the track so I don't know if they have fixed that issue.
The only reason I haven't own a P car is economics, but now owning a GT car is affordable.
      02-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #192
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot
Quote:

LOL. can't deal with an opinion can you? Not surprising...that's generally an attribute of the perpetually insecure and inadequate.
You're so lame. Thick sliced Bologna lame.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #193
Robert
Major General
Rep

Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I just didn't see it. I thought they'd break that ratio and go "all out" per se. That was a very nice surprise.

I would pick the GT4 over a Z06 every single day of the week. I really would. The Cayman is just such a more useable car in terms of performance everyday. IMHO of course

Yes, completely agreed. But look at the pricing though. I want a GT4 bad, but I predict an M2 with no options will be $50kish. That's a solid $35k more expensive, and enough for me to go out and buy a brand new Tacoma.

I know everyone's priorities and finances are different, but this car is way out of my league. FYI, I'm going to do whatever is necessary to get an M2 into the 40s.
Don't sell yourself short! I will work my ass off for this car even if it means picking up a slightly used (10-20k mi) couple years after launch.
      02-07-2015, 12:46 AM   #194
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Don't sell yourself short! I will work my ass off for this car even if it means picking up a slightly used (10-20k mi) couple years after launch.
The bigger question is whether this GT4 will sell at a premium or a discount after several years even with significant mileage on the odo. A part of me wants this beautiful machine to be something like the 1M but at the same time, I really want to buy it at a discount down the road lol. Fucking dilemma. Fuck you Porsche for making something somewhat affordable and extremely awesome.
      02-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #195
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Extra pounds dont stop modern cars desighned for the track to go very fast. For me personally, faster car on a road course means a lot more than anything else. From the info we have so far, the mustang GT350 R is about 8 seconds faster than Cayman GT4 on the ring. The fact that GT350 R will be a lot cheaper is a bonus.
Then why waste your time with Mustangs and Caymans? The new Z06 will waste them both on any road or track, and it's priced right. Or buy a GT-R which again will monster both.

Personally I no longer care about a few seconds difference on track. Driver ability and confidence make up a lot more time than that, I can assure you. The Cayman will feel incredible on track because of its light weight and good weight distribution. It will be very easy on brakes and tires, which if your track a lot begins to add up like you wouldn't believe.

Of course none of this matters at all if you go by preference. If you love the Mustang then all other logical considerations go out the window, and there is nothing wrong with that. But if all you care are track times, then the Mustang is not king at all.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #196
ixse
Major
Rep

Drives: 2015 boxster s

Lol at these gt350r comments.. Lets be real. Zero gt4 owners are gonna see gt350 on the road and say "dam.. Wish i had bought that car so i could go xxx sec faster on nurbergring". I bet gt350 owners might say that all the time to make themselves feel better
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #197
Petros
Banned
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Lol at these gt350r comments.. Lets be real. Zero gt4 owners are gonna see gt350 on the road and say "dam.. Wish i had bought that car so i could go xxx sec faster on nurbergring". I bet gt350 owners might say that all the time to make themselves feel better
I'm sure zero Z06 or GTR owners will look at a GT4 on the road and say "dam.. wish i had bought that overpriced car so i can go slower around a track and act like a snobbish prick while showing off the porsche logo on my car"
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #198
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
I bet zero GT350r owners are going to say "Damn, I wish I had paid way more money for a more 'refined', more 'prestiged' car that is slower and has less feel/handling".

I bet GT4 owners will say "Oh, its a Mustang"...."It's a Ford"...."We gots prestige and alcantara everything and painted air vents!". To make up for their slightly less performing, way more expensive car.

Come on guys. This car is awesome (GT4)! But why all the hate on something American that actually performs better? Motor head or petrol head people are no where to be seen anymore. Now people talk about how a car "feels", a cars "prestige", a cars "badge" when something inferior performs better.....not how it compares to another car, how it looks, how it drives, how it performs.
Appreciate 0