New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #199
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
I'm sure zero Z06 or GTR owners will look at a GT4 on the road and say "dam.. wish i had bought that overpriced car so i can go slower around a track and act like a snobbish prick while showing off the porsche logo on my car"
^ this might be the case but many GTR and z06 owners will/do wish they can continue to go lap after lap without worrying about cooling down in between to preserve their turbos.

The other issue is the weight of those cars compared to GT4. A lot of us love the feel of the lighter cars on the road and those who track.

The GT350R is something completely different as we have yet to see a flat plane crank v8 at this price range. Can't wait to see the reviews.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #200
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Drives: a car

Comparing any 2 cars, if a buyer can afford BOTH cars and chooses one over the other, it is very unlikely he/she will look at the other car and wish they purchased that one instead unless they immediately regretted their purchase. If a buyer is interested in 2 cars and can afford one and not the other, they are more likely to look at the car they couldn't afford and wish they had it. You always want what you can't have.
      02-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #201
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Then why waste your time with Mustangs and Caymans? The new Z06 will waste them both on any road or track, and it's priced right. Or buy a GT-R which again will monster both.

Personally I no longer care about a few seconds difference on track. Driver ability and confidence make up a lot more time than that, I can assure you. The Cayman will feel incredible on track because of its light weight and good weight distribution. It will be very easy on brakes and tires, which if your track a lot begins to add up like you wouldn't believe.

Of course none of this matters at all if you go by preference. If you love the Mustang then all other logical considerations go out the window, and there is nothing wrong with that. But if all you care are track times, then the Mustang is not king at all.
Mustang GT 350R looks like a king for the money at this time. Of course there are faster cars, but for much more $$$. I am not a mustang guy at all, but this one looks like something special. C7 Z06 maybe a little faster, but is much more expensive and has overheating issues due to the lean tune by factory design. GTR is not faster than zo6 and may not be faster than this mustang btw.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #202
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Car

As a european (yes, Mr Farage) I look at the best handling, most driver focussed cars I could buy and it comes down to Speciale, GT3, GT4 and Exige V6. If the Z06 was available over here for the same price as you folks in the U.S. enjoy, it would be a no brainier as the price/performance ratio is so much better. However, even the U.S. motoring press rate these cars higher because of driver interaction, feel and exploitability.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #203
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Drives: ...

Awesome. Deposit placed.

I've always wanted a mid-engine sports car that was developed with true racing heritage components (i.e. Porsche GT parts). I think this is the closest I'll get to it, and can't think of any car that completes on that level for less than $85k. The Lotus Exige R V6 would of come close, but is not street legal (US), nor is as reliable and engineered for daily use like a P-car. Evora I don't think is even in the same league as the GT4.

Thanks Porsche
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #204
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5
Awesome. Deposit placed.

I've always wanted a mid-engine sports car that was developed with true racing heritage components (i.e. Porsche GT parts). I think this is the closest I'll get to it, and can't think of any car that completes on that level for less than $85k. The Lotus Exige R V6 would of come close, but is not street legal (US), nor is as reliable and engineered for daily use like a P-car. Evora I don't think is even in the same league as the GT4.

Thanks Porsche
awesome Paul, same here!
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #205
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

the gt4 is not wider than a stock cayman is it?

if not, i don't mind foreseeing a used cayman gts and just buying the front bumper, side intake, wing, and trunk lid.

i will have pdk with a nice set of bbs and call it a day .
      02-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #206
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Lol at these gt350r comments.. Lets be real. Zero gt4 owners are gonna see gt350 on the road and say "dam.. Wish i had bought that car so i could go xxx sec faster on nurbergring". I bet gt350 owners might say that all the time to make themselves feel better
I bet zero GT350r owners are going to say "Damn, I wish I had paid way more money for a more 'refined', more 'prestiged' car that is slower and has less feel/handling".

I bet GT4 owners will say "Oh, its a Mustang"...."It's a Ford"...."We gots prestige and alcantara everything and painted air vents!". To make up for their slightly less performing, way more expensive car.

Come on guys. This car is awesome (GT4)! But why all the hate on something American that actually performs better? Motor head or petrol head people are no where to be seen anymore. Now people talk about how a car "feels", a cars "prestige", a cars "badge" when something inferior performs better.....not how it compares to another car, how it looks, how it drives, how it performs.
Very unlikely the mustang or vette will have better feel and precision handling that the GT4.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #207
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
the gt4 is not wider than a stock cayman is it?

if not, i don't mind foreseeing a used cayman gts and just buying the front bumper, side intake, wing, and trunk lid.

i will have pdk with a nice set of bbs and call it a day .
There is still a good chance they will offer the PDK version eventually according to Porsche dealers other rennlist members have spoken to.

You could also get a used base cayman with PDK and have BGB put the 3.8 engine. Quite a few guys on planet 9 have done it for cheaper than a new GTS.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #208
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

A lot of posters in this thread have very nice cars. Going by the comments, it's obvious money can't buy class. The insults are ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #209
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
I'm sure zero Z06 or GTR owners will look at a GT4 on the road and say "dam.. wish i had bought that overpriced car so i can go slower around a track and act like a snobbish prick while showing off the porsche logo on my car"
wow.
      02-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #210
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Put me down for blue. Wow, this thing is going to be a brawler.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #211
rcl
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: bmw

I think the cayman gt4 is going to the best sports car you can buy under 100k.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #212
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Awesome. Deposit placed.

Thanks Porsche
Awesome! It's going to be a much different drive compared to your E92. It's a little snappier mid-corner. However, it's so fun to treat that chassis like dirt and run it deep into a corner with less understeer than the E9x.

Source: I regularly beat the crap out of my girlfriends 981
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #213
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Lol at the fanaticism and insults over two brands not represented by these forums. That made my day.

Fwiw, I have a hard time buying something for more than 50k that I couldn't live with every day. 350r is much like the z/28 in that regard. Pretty silly to buy a car simply because it goes around a track most folks never even drive once, let alone drive well, a miniscule amount faster than another. But the digress.
      02-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #214
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Beautiful car, sucks that the car probably won't be able to comfortably handle the garbage roads of the DC metro area to be able to handle everyday driving, especially with those 20" wheels.

Plus once you add options like...a radio and maybe a cup holder, the MSRP will balloon to $100k+
Hahahahahanah . So true
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 12:27 AM   #215
Robert
Major General
Rep

Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

This is going to be Porsche's 1M, first of its model line, instant collector's edition.
      02-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #216
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
This is going to be Porsche's 1M, first of its model line, instant collector's edition.
everything depreciates. This one should go down slowly and maybe rise up a bit as all gas engines fade away and 6MT goes the dodo bird.

If kept in good shape in 20 years when everything is electric, this will show up at auction and command a premium if it's even allowed to run on the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #217
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
everything depreciates. This one should go down slowly and maybe rise up a bit as all gas engines fade away and 6MT goes the dodo bird.

If kept in good shape in 20 years when everything is electric, this will show up at auction and command a premium if it's even allowed to run on the road.
Gasoline engines aren't going anywhere in our lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #218
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:

In 20 years everything is going to be electric? LOL, good one.....when I'm flying on a 100% electric jet, I'll believe it.

Its going to be a very long time before electric even starts to take over and not even in the next 50 years will that happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #219
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
In 20 years everything is going to be electric? LOL, good one.....when I'm flying on a 100% electric jet, I'll believe it.

Its going to be a very long time before electric even starts to take over and not even in the next 50 years will that happen.
okay, I'll be more realistic; hybrids will be a majority of cars in 10 years and electric will be a huge percentage in 20.

currently hybrids are gas savers (prius), but as shown on the top end (P1, LaFerrari, 918), electric motors are great performance additions. The plug-in hybrid, with a range of 20-50Km as a pure electric will be a huge gain to performance cars in the near future (<10 years).

back on topic, the GT4 may just be one of the last few great 6MT, N.A. engine sports cars. The near future will be hybrids, PDK (DSG/DCT) that go faster, handle just as well and electronic everything.

The GT4 is already too modern, with the electronic brakes and steering for some old school guys. The 997 GT3 RS is where it's at for the pinnacle of old school.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #220
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
okay, I'll be more realistic; hybrids will be a majority of cars in 10 years and electric will be a huge percentage in 20.

currently hybrids are gas savers (prius), but as shown on the top end (P1, LaFerrari, 918), electric motors are great performance additions. The plug-in hybrid, with a range of 20-50Km as a pure electric will be a huge gain to performance cars in the near future (<10 years).

back on topic, the GT4 may just be one of the last few great 6MT, N.A. engine sports cars. The near future will be hybrids, PDK (DSG/DCT) that go faster, handle just as well and electronic everything.

The GT4 is already too modern, with the electronic brakes and steering for some old school guys. The 997 GT3 RS is where it's at for the pinnacle of old school.
Not for me.

Make mine an F430 Grigio ferro with dark red interior, and stick shift. Fell in love with the F430 in a way that no Porsche can substitute, pun intended.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0