BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

02-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
dangitwess
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Emergency Handle Brake Swap

So, long story short the the previous owner let their dog chew on things on the car and I am slowly replacing them. One of the things is the emergency brake button. I bought a whole new brake assembly because I heard there is no way to swap only the button : and you have to do the whole thing. Has anyone changed theirs? I can't find any DIY on this. Thanks!
      02-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Use a pry tool and pry it around the boot. Pull it up and over the handle and you'll notice a zip tie holding the boot to the handle. Once you clip that, pull the handle straight out and it'll pop right off.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
dangitwess
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
Use a pry tool and pry it around the boot. Pull it up and over the handle and you'll notice a zip tie holding the boot to the handle. Once you clip that, pull the handle straight out and it'll pop right off.
Hey! So I think maybe I didnt explain it correctly. See the pics attached. I only really want to swap put the chewed up button (pic 1). I bought this full unit replacement (pic 2) because people said you can't change just the button. So thats what I'm working with.
Attached Images

02-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GHO5T View Post
Hey! So I think maybe I didnt explain it correctly. See the pics attached. I only really want to swap put the chewed up button (pic 1). I bought this full unit replacement (pic 2) because people said you can't change just the button. So thats what I'm working with.
Ah I see it now. I just looked at a picture without the handle and it looks like that button pretty much is a one piece part for the whole unit.

Sorry!
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #5
dangitwess
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah I see it now. I just looked at a picture without the handle and it looks like that button pretty much is a one piece part for the whole unit.

Sorry!
No worries at all! I also couldn't believe at fist that the button is connected to the whole assembly! I've talked to a few shops and they say its about $250 in labor so I'm trying to figure out if I can do it because that seems like soooo much for a little button haha
      02-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No worries at all! I also couldn't believe at fist that the button is connected to the whole assembly! I've talked to a few shops and they say its about $250 in labor so I'm trying to figure out if I can do it because that seems like soooo much for a little button haha
I think it's only held in by 4 fasteners and the cable itself! Lift the boot up and you should see at least 2 of the fasteners. I'm not sure if you can reach the two in the back or not without removing the whole center console.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #7
dangitwess
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think it's only held in by 4 fasteners and the cable itself! Lift the boot up and you should see at least 2 of the fasteners. I'm not sure if you can reach the two in the back or not without removing the whole center console.
Will take a look, thanks for the input!