New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
jayb289
Private
Rep

Drives: horse and carriage

Is the Mclaren 720S the best modern supercar?

It seems like Mclaren has put Ferrari on the back foot for the first time with a mass-produced supercar.

The new F8 tributo is a copy of the 720s specs, never seen Ferrari do that before.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I think McLaren has beaten Ferrari in terms of overall performance and trackability, but I don't know if they've beaten Ferrari in terms of emotion (sound, styling, feel).

But competition between the two certainly results that cars in this class/pricerange have gotten faster at a very high pace.

I wonder if mclarens are much more expensive to service/parts etc than ferrari's.
After a decade or so (when these cars potentially fall in my pricerange ) that can play the deciding factor in which one to get. What I've heard from mclaren (well, only the mp4-12c is there to consider) is that its expensive and selfservice (or indie service) is difficult. The ferrari community is of course much bigger.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 3
David701567.00
Robin_NL8679.50
      04-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 GTS

I've heard McLarens aren't the most reliable and self-service is near impossible. I wouldn't own one out of warranty, so if you buy used you'd have to factor in the price of an extended or even aftermarket warranty.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
jayb289
Private
Rep

Agreed, but at this point all Ferrari has over McLaren is heritage and brand recognition. These don't change what we are seeing with our own two eyes though, the 720s, Senna and 600 LT are leaders in their segments.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Every time I see that awful (possibly not) Masonry version, I think of this:
[IMG]http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li...dprko1_500.gif[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Every time I see that awful (possibly not) Masonry version, I think of this:
[IMG]http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li...dprko1_500.gif[/IMG]

.....once it's seen.... it cannot be unseen
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      04-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Okay, Novitec. Gah-rosss. Sorry Masonry, not sorry, you still made this monstrosity.

[IMG]https://images.carscoops.com/2018/12...-london-12.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

IMHO the whole performance aspect is a bit silly. All these cars are plenty fast and capable for road and track. Styling, engine sound (not fake) and road friendly usability would surely matter more to a buyer no?

I for one cannot stand Ferrari's horribly garish interiors, seem so raceboy instead of classy.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
jayb289
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
IMHO the whole performance aspect is a bit silly. All these cars are plenty fast and capable for road and track. Styling, engine sound (not fake) and road friendly usability would surely matter more to a buyer no?

I for one cannot stand Ferrari's horribly garish interiors, seem so raceboy instead of classy.
what do you think about Lambos interior?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Drives: Evo

I am very active on the McLaren forums and am on there daily as I Search for a 12c to own. Have been on there for almost 6 months reading everything.

Pretty accurate statements in here thus far. McLaren is more of a boutique brand where as Ferrari has it's heritage. McLaren's tend to have less issues when driven than they do when they sit. They do have random electrical issues that are more a nusance than a real issue. Reliability overall is very good actually. Few common issues being condensation in headlights, HVAC control screen dims to barely readable, and the worst is a few transmissions have external leaks that McLaren doesn't fix since they swap the unit which is $$. Recently companies started fixing these for a couple hundred bucks.

As far as non McLaren dealer servicing there are plenty of ppl that do it. McLaren on parts are obviously expensive but you can buy parts for other brands for some things. Example zr1 rotors and BMW e92 m3 oil filter. That's right. Same filter as our cars lol. I already have a 400 page PDF service manual. Obviously some resets etc need to be done at the dealer but I plan to do maintenance and repairs primarily myself.

As for the warranty, yes it's factory and available still on these cars. They call it an ESC, extended service contract. To have this you also have to perform an annual service there for 1700$+. The ESC price went up this month from about 4000 to 7000$. So you are looking at almost 8k to keep an annual ESC.

As far as performance they are certainly at or near the top. My friend who works for apple has an almost new Huracan and attends tons of supercar meets etc states the same things each time I ask him about McLaren's. Performance is unbelievable if you can live with some turbo lag but doesn't have the sound of the lambos. A simple tune to a factory McLaren can also add upwards of 150hp and 200tq.

Most of my info is relative to the mp4-12c but I do read about all of the models. The numbers for ESC are for the 12c.

Sorry for going off topic OP. Yes the 720s is an amazing machine and setting records at the track and drag strip for sure.

Last edited by eatsleepboost; 04-30-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      04-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb289 View Post

It seems like Mclaren has put Ferrari on the back foot for the first time with a mass-produced supercar.

The new F8 tributo is a copy of the 720s specs, never seen Ferrari do that before.
Meh - specs are one thing and unfortunately there are many who feel it is the end all be all, but what really defines 'best'? Best at what? Best around a corner, best at reliability, best at acceleration, best at the fancy hotel valet?

In my (biased) opinion, there may be faster cars, may be more rare cars, and may even be 'better' cars than a Ferrari, but no one can seem to beat Enzo at whole experience.

Quote:

Garish? Not sure there. I feel the interior of mine is quite understated. See below. Now, Lambo interiors are ridiculous and Mclaren isn't that far behind.

04-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #12
m630
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Sorry all, they are very nice but no Prancing Horse. They mostly dont maintain value either so while a nice alternative with a unique look, you cant put them in the same categories, imo.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      04-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:

Meh - specs are one thing and unfortunately there are many who feel it is the end all be all, but what really defines 'best'? Best at what? Best around a corner, best at reliability, best at acceleration, best at the fancy hotel valet?

In my (biased) opinion, there may be faster cars, may be more rare cars, and may even be 'better' cars than a Ferrari, but no one can seem to beat Enzo at whole experience.

Quote:

Garish? Not sure there. I feel the interior of mine is quite understated. See below. Now, Lambo interiors are ridiculous and Mclaren isn't that far behind.

[img]https://www.e90post.com/forums/e90ga...4649/FER-4.JPG[/img]

Why not go even further back?

[IMG]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/89/7b...b816c46ef5.jpg[/IMG]

Here's an actual one in production, to perhaps better highlight what alfista was referring to.
[IMG] https://preview.netcarshow.com/Ferra...18-1600-2d.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
Shiza1193.00
      04-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #14
Shiza
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:

You mean to tell me that rival cars that both use turbo V8 engines have similar specs? That's wild.

Many people think that performance numbers are what make a car. It's not. It's the way that the car makes you feel when you drive it. Especially for 99.9% of the people who will never reach that 200 plus mph or use the cars full potential.

A great example of this is just how many people have purchased a F8x M3/4 only to sell it and go back to the E9x M3. The new car may look great and have better numbers but it still doesn't feel nearly as good to drive.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #15
jayb289
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
You mean to tell me that rival cars that both use turbo V8 engines have similar specs? That's wild.

Many people think that performance numbers are what make a car. It's not. It's the way that the car makes you feel when you drive it. Especially for 99.9% of the people who will never reach that 200 plus mph or use the cars full potential.

A great example of this is just how many people have purchased a F8x M3/4 only to sell it and go back to the E9x M3. The new car may look great and have better numbers but it still doesn't feel nearly as good to drive.
your argument isn't solid as the 488 GTB was also V8 twin turbo and it was nowhere near a 720s in power. Check the times that both cars were doing around tracks and drag strips and you will see the 488 GTB was a joke next to the 720s.

It took the f8 Tributo for Ferrari to catch up.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #16
Shiza
Captain
Rep

Quote:
your argument isn't solid as the 488 GTB was also V8 twin turbo and it was nowhere near a 720s in power. Check the times that both cars were doing around tracks and drag strips and you will see the 488 GTB was a joke next to the 720s.

It took the f8 Tributo for Ferrari to catch up.
488 was released 2 years before the 720S. Since they are competing with each other wouldn't it make more sense for McLaren to release a car with more power?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
Shiza
Captain
Rep

But as I said before. It's not all about the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #18
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Not a Mclaren fan here, but I will say this. My neighbor has had many "supercars" through the years. Lambo, Ferrari, Viper, etc. The only one he has kept over a year is the McLaren (I think he's had it for 3 yearws now).

Personally I would go for a Ford GT, then the Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #19
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why not go even further back?

[IMG]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/89/7b...b816c46ef5.jpg[/IMG]

Here's an actual one in production, to perhaps better highlight what alfista was referring to.
[IMG] https://preview.netcarshow.com/Ferra...18-1600-2d.jpg[/IMG]
Well - I didn't 'go back' on purpose to prove a point, I went back because that is what I own and the newest one I could afford. That said, however, the second photo seems to depict a garish interior color pallet more than the actual overall interior design. When properly optioned, I believe the 488 interior is still very classy. See stock photo (not my car) below for a proper example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
But as I said before. It's not all about the numbers.
^This. Emotion and feelings play a huge part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Personally I would go for a Ford GT, then the Ferrari.
Blasphemy!

04-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #20
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Nah it's still a bit much. The whole design is too harsh and without grace.

I can honestly say, I have zero desire for these cars. I admire the engineering but i just don't lust over these things, they've gone too extreme and regular sports cars are so, so good now that something supercarish just seems ... i dunno .... a tad pointless.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #21
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nah it's still a bit much. The whole design is too harsh and without grace.

I can honestly say, I have zero desire for these cars. I admire the engineering but i just don't lust over these things, they've gone too extreme and regular sports cars are so, so good now that something supercarish just seems ... i dunno .... a tad pointless.
Fair and everyone has the right to feel anyway they want to and I respect your opinion. I still feel, however, that emotion and enjoyment play a huge factor of facts and figures. I wouldn't be surprised if my F56 Cooper S was quicker stop light to stoplight around town, it certainly feels that way, but nothing much compares to taking the 360 out on the snake or the dragon and carving those corners, listening to that flat plane crank V8 shout out the exhaust behind my head. It's a show stopper.
      04-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Fair and everyone has the right to feel anyway they want to and I respect your opinion. I still feel, however, that emotion and enjoyment play a huge factor of facts and figures. I wouldn't be surprised if my F56 Cooper S was quicker stop light to stoplight around town, it certainly feels that way, but nothing much compares to taking the 360 out on the snake or the dragon and carving those corners, listening to that flat plane crank V8 shout out the exhaust behind my head. It's a show stopper.
The 360 is not really stupid though is it. What is it, 400 odd HP? And yeah emotion has a lot to do with it. Drove a Mustang GT last year and was shocked how much fun the engine was, it liked a few revs, not S2000 revs but it wasn't all bottom end. And it sounded fantastic.

So yeah i hear ya, the 360 with an old fashioned screamer V8 i get, i am lusting seriously over a 997 GTS vert, which is not as far off the 360 you have as it first sounds and for much the same reason.

Some of these newer supercars are putting out 600, 700 HP and don't sound all that great, Lambo V12's the exception.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00