New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #67
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

I want a tesla so I can look cool and go fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 05:43 AM   #68
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I want a tesla so I can look cool and go fast.
This^ but not cool, unless glasses with tape in the middle or hugging trees is cool to you, and not really fast either.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #69
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
It depends how they market "Full Self Driving". If it's partial Full Self Driving, then they can have it earlier.
Hey, can't wait till I care about self driving. That'll happen in maybe a few centuries. Not. If it was such the huge selling point, the others would have it or will have it in a couple yrs tops. It's not. Why would I ever in any situation ever want a self driving car? Ever? I enjoy stop and go, highways, long trips, you name it. There is never once I have ever wanted to be a passenger, least of all to a computer. I would pay the cost of self driving option extra to have a car without it if that was the only option.

Sorry for the rant but seriously I will not relinquish control of my car to a computer for any reason as long as I drive and legally don't have to. If there's legislation to force it I will be first in line to protest for the first time in my life. And I know that I am not a minority opinion in not wanting it caring about self driving. Again, it's judt part of the snowflake geek group that actually cares. The ones that hate driving, typically in a prius, don't typically want to waste 30k more to get a self driver. It's not going to save tesla. And this quarters numbers bare that out.

Last edited by Fundguy1; 08-05-2017 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4669.00
      08-05-2017, 06:11 AM   #70
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Hey, can't wait till I care about self driving. That'll happen in maybe a few centuries. Not. If it was such the huge selling point, the others would have it or will have it in a couple yrs tops. It's not. Why would I ever in any situation ever want a self driving car? Ever? I enjoy stop and go, highways, long trips, you name it. There is never once I have ever wanted to be a passenger, least of all to a computer. I would pay the cost of self driving option extra to have a car without it if that was the only option.

Sorry for the rant but seriously I will not relinquish control of my car to a computer for any reason as long as I drive and legally don't have to. If there's legislation to force it I will be first in line to protest for the first time in my life. And I know that I am not a minority opinion in not wanting it caring about self driving. Again, it's judt part of the snowflake geek group that actually cares. The ones that hate driving, typically in a prius, don't typically want to waste 30k more to get a self driver. It's not going to save tesla. And this quarters numbers bare that out.
I'm with you, I love to drive. Went on a longish road trip with a buddy last year. Niagara on the Lake to Pensacola, then New Orleans and back. My buddy offered to drive every day and I told him I was good with it. He's a good driver, we did the same trip a few years back in his car and he drove most of it....I just really enjoy it and can't ever see myself sitting in a car while HAL drives.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #71
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I sit about 6 million mile sleft of most of the nutbags here so this is not a political statement, Full Level 5 autonomous driving is 20 to 25 years away IMHO.

Have you used a hands free faucet? Now extrapolate the complexity by a billion times.

We are miles off, the technology is not even close to being ready.
I think the cost to do it correctly and achieve the safety goals governments want is a number no one is willing to pay for. I work with the US DOT everyday on an air traffic management project. I've been in many meetings with US DOT officials. All good intention'd people mind you, but the DOT's number one concern is public safety. If the DOT follows anywhere near the model they have for implementing new air traffic systems, the cost and leadtime is prohibitive. The system will not be just a bunch of different cars from different manufacturers all talking to each other to avoid collisions.

Again I need to harp in on this whole use of the term autopilot. In terms of ground vehicle traffic there is no analogy between aircraft and automotive autopilot. Aircraft fly in very tightly controlled airspace cars do not in which autopilot play a very insignificant roll. Autopilot is not used to separate aircraft. Autopilot in cars will not be used to separate automotive traffic. The system needed to control automated ground traffic is not yet even designed; hell it's not even yet been fully conceived. And that system will be orders of magnitude more complex than the automation systems used in air traffic control. The US air traffic control system manages 10,000 flights a day. There are 10,000 cars driving around a major US city at any given moment.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #72
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post

Some people have daily, boring, stressful daily commutes to and from work in traffic and would rather be productive with that time than be subjected to a ridiculous burden. Not too many people enjoy that type of driving. While I agree that they are overselling early tech for full self driving, the partial self driving: levels 3-4 will be widely available within 5 years and useful to many.

I don't think the full self driving will replace a human for all locations and conditions for another 20 years due to the sensors and general AI capabilities required.

If enough people complain to the govt, there will be laws to force accommodation of the tech's limitations. These will be in areas like retrofitting old cars, getting driving instructions from road workers, police, emergency personnel, access to parking (identification for security, gates, providing updated lot maps), ad hoc detours, etc.
Appreciate 0