New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Got to laugh...some ppl who "think" their cars are just so fast

I wasn't going post this but now that it's happened 2x in the past week, I thought I'd share ...

Experience #1

First, late last week, I had a little spirited driving fun with a Audi TT. Although he couldn't keep up for our 20 min. or so of "spirited driving" (I past him several times like he was standing still), I still thought it broke the monotony of highway driving and it was kind of fun. When we both got off the highway (passing though a small town) and got to a red light, I let him pull up next to me and I asked him if his TT was the 250HP version. He said no; it was the base 200HP version. I felt bad that I picked on him, so I said ..."not too bad" for such a car.

I then told him about my car...stock with the FI tt and of course what I've added, and approx. HP/TQ. I pointed to my Vector FX2 timer and said that it can do 0-60mph in 4.50 sec. and the 1/4 mi. in ~ 12.6-13.0 sec. So, he said that his car was slow in the 1/4 mi. due to the AWD, but that it does 0-60mph in 4.1 sec.!!!!! I almost peed in my pants I was laughing so hard.

I called and said.."no way; that's almost as fast as a Chevy Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 Turbo!!!" He insisted, so when the light turned green, my 4.50 sec. 0-60mph PROcede 335i walked his supposed 4.1 sec. 0-60mph Audi TT! I thought to myself...well, maybe 6.1 sec. 0-60mph but no way in hell 4.1 sec. 0-60mph.

Experience #2

So, today, I had some brief fun with a modded GTO 6.0 (I know he had at least an aftermarket exhaust, b/c it sounded way too mean and had even larger twin pipes). From a 10mph roll, I kept about 1 CL ahead of him; he couldn't pull on me and I shut it down at ~ 100mph. I gave him a thumbsup and a signal to talk at the light. We pulled up to the light and I asked him what kind of "crazy" exhaust he has on his GTO. He didn't say, but he did say he was VERY surprised that he couldn't catch up to me; he was very perplexed.

So, again, I told him about my car...stock with the FI tt and of course what I've added, and approx. HP/TQ. He said he's running about 425HP and that his car does the 1/4 mi. in ~ 9 sec.!!!! Yeah, ok...9 sec., faster than a modded Ferrari, faster than a modded Viper, faster than a modded 911 Turbo, faster than a modded M5...what else??? Since the light turned green, and I took a right (and he went straight), I didn't have a chance to call B.S. and correct him on his ridiculous statement.

What's up with all these ppl who either "think" they have really fast cars or the ones that actually do have fast cars, why aren't they realistic when it comes to 0-60mph and 1/4 mi. times? What's with all the B.S.?

Just thought I'd share the insanity!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
RiXst3r
Rep

Drives: M235i

I ran into a guy with a Jetta 1.8t with chip and exhaust, and he told me he does the quarter mile in "around 10 seconds"... I then proceeded to smash him by like 10 car lengths up to ~110mph with my stock 335...

These people just make guesses... they have no clue about real performance figures.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
SoCal335i
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92-TT Jet Blk Coral Red

Because all these people watched fast and furious too many times and have never been to a race track. Next time ask them if they ran 1/4 mile and 90% will say no but still think they have a 9 second car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Nice runs. After talking with people for 30 seconds about cars you can tell very quickly who actually knows about cars and who thinks that they know about cars. Some things that people say are just comical, I don't even bother correcting them anymore.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

When I was younger I knew people who "riced" out their vehicles...they always under-estimated their times, always - and usually by a lot. They would put an intake, exhaust and pullies ...or something else and swear it was much faster, um-no.

It irritates me to hear about these people thinking their cars are so fast...why do you need to lie about what your car is. I had a e36 m3 ...wasn't fast, handled well...but I never told anyone it was fast, it was quick. It wasn't a drag racing car...neither is a Audi TT.

Since the beginning of time people have fudged the numbers....first it was the egyptians thinking their boats were faster than the romans', greeks somewhere in there with their "olympic games", then it was the british and spaniards, then cars were made and ford and horse owners went at it...now its disseminated down to the common man/woman thinking their vehicle has more power and is capable of much more than it really is.

Come on all...don't be like that, tell brochure numbers and then if you must race (illegal, dangerous, don't do it) destroy them. Just tell whoever you beat your car isn't that fast...just a 3-series sedan, geez...how fast could it be - that will pop their balloon.

If those two drivers had dynamite for brains, they still wouldn't have enough to blow their ears off.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
RiXst3r
Rep

Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal335i View Post
Because all these people watched fast and furious too many times and have never been to a race track. Next time ask them if they ran 1/4 mile and 90% will say no but still think they have a 9 second car.
The cars in that movie were so overrated... if you look at the specs of the actual show cars used in the movie, most of them barely make it into the 13's

Then dom says "you owe me another 10 second car"... and everyone thinks that NOS and a turbo gives you 10 second car... on street tires...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
SoCal335i
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92-TT Jet Blk Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
The cars in that movie were so overrated... if you look at the specs of the actual show cars used in the movie, most of them barely make it into the 13's

Then dom says "you owe me another 10 second car"... and everyone thinks that NOS and a turbo gives you 10 second car... on street tires...
Exactly!! So you got these little kids in Subarus and Evo's thinking that with an intake their car makes 900hp and runs 10's on the track.haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: SG M6 coupe

Everyone is full of shit. I dont race people on the roads at all usually but I was driving kinda fast one night and this total pos 8 year old camry with wierd add on lights and janky Kragon mods pulls up to me to race. After I stopped laughing the light turned green and obviously I smoked his ass (I got a terrible jump too). I let him catch up and he made some excuse about how he was low on gas or he would have smoked me. Situations like that u just smile and nod. Its not worth the time and effort to point out what a stupid ass he is. It is down right frightening people this stupid drive around everyday.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

All true. But isn't that true in life. People lie, or are misinformed about nearly everything. Cars are no different. By the way, my 335 i IS a 10 second car. No, really. I have a flux capacitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: people insane

you just learned the first thing I taught my kids, people are idiots.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocoins View Post
All true. But isn't that true in life. People lie, or are misinformed about nearly everything. Cars are no different. By the way, my 335 i IS a 10 second car. No, really. I have a flux capacitor.
he really does and you still owe me $49.95 for it BTW.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge View Post
Dang, do you have any more? Or can I find it on Ebay?
      05-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokX View Post
Dang, do you have any more? Or can I find it on Ebay?
I have one left. Meet me at Twin Pines Mall at 1:15 a.m. Don't be late.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #14
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Check's in the mail!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #15
SGP335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i E92 Jet Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
I ran into a guy with a Jetta 1.8t with chip and exhaust, and he told me he does the quarter mile in "around 10 seconds"... I then proceeded to smash him by like 10 car lengths up to ~110mph with my stock 335...

These people just make guesses... they have no clue about real performance figures.
If you think about it 18 seconds is "around 10 seconds" its only a difference of 8 seconds, thats not very long when you think about it...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #16
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocoins View Post
Check's in the mail!
I told you no checks, cash only! Oh well I guess a check will do.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #17
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

Quote:
I told you no checks, cash only! Oh well I guess a check will do.
Damn, and I was preparing to get to the mall.......
      05-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #18
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGP335i View Post
If you think about it 18 seconds is "around 10 seconds" its only a difference of 8 seconds, thats not very long when you think about it...
Is that like drag racing in "dog years?" ...Well, it was about 10 sec., but in "dog years," that's really like 18 sec.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #19
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
I wasn't going post this but now that it's happened 2x in the past week, I thought I'd share ...

Experience #1

First, late last week, I had a little spirited driving fun with a Audi TT. Although he couldn't keep up for our 20 min. or so of "spirited driving" (I past him several times like he was standing still), I still thought it broke the monotony of highway driving and it was kind of fun. When we both got off the highway (passing though a small town) and got to a red light, I let him pull up next to me and I asked him if his TT was the 250HP version. He said no; it was the base 200HP version. I felt bad that I picked on him, so I said ..."not too bad" for such a car.

I then told him about my car...stock with the FI tt and of course what I've added, and approx. HP/TQ. I pointed to my Vector FX2 timer and said that it can do 0-60mph in 4.50 sec. and the 1/4 mi. in ~ 12.6-13.0 sec. So, he said that his car was slow in the 1/4 mi. due to the AWD, but that it does 0-60mph in 4.1 sec.!!!!! I almost peed in my pants I was laughing so hard.

I called and said.."no way; that's almost as fast as a Chevy Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 Turbo!!!" He insisted, so when the light turned green, my 4.50 sec. 0-60mph PROcede 335i walked his supposed 4.1 sec. 0-60mph Audi TT! I thought to myself...well, maybe 6.1 sec. 0-60mph but no way in hell 4.1 sec. 0-60mph.

Experience #2

So, today, I had some brief fun with a modded GTO 6.0 (I know he had at least an aftermarket exhaust, b/c it sounded way too mean and had even larger twin pipes). From a 10mph roll, I kept about 1 CL ahead of him; he couldn't pull on me and I shut it down at ~ 100mph. I gave him a thumbsup and a signal to talk at the light. We pulled up to the light and I asked him what kind of "crazy" exhaust he has on his GTO. He didn't say, but he did say he was VERY surprised that he couldn't catch up to me; he was very perplexed.

So, again, I told him about my car...stock with the FI tt and of course what I've added, and approx. HP/TQ. He said he's running about 425HP and that his car does the 1/4 mi. in ~ 9 sec.!!!! Yeah, ok...9 sec., faster than a modded Ferrari, faster than a modded Viper, faster than a modded 911 Turbo, faster than a modded M5...what else??? Since the light turned green, and I took a right (and he went straight), I didn't have a chance to call B.S. and correct him on his ridiculous statement.

What's up with all these ppl who either "think" they have really fast cars or the ones that actually do have fast cars, why aren't they realistic when it comes to 0-60mph and 1/4 mi. times? What's with all the B.S.?

Just thought I'd share the insanity!

Do you have any timeslips?
      05-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #20
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that like drag racing in "dog years?" ...Well, it was about 10 sec., but in "dog years," that's really like 18 sec.
sounds reasonable to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #21
SGP335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i E92 Jet Blk

Quote:
Now were thinking like them. Way to put our heads together
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #22
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Do you have any timeslips?
Are we seriously starting this again? Even if I don't, other PROcede 335i drivers do.

Appreciate 0